The BIG Guys...

Started by giant_mtb, June 12, 2005, 10:00:09 AM

giant_mtb

I've never actually heard of or seen this truck before...but it's reviewed in my local paper's automotive section...so I guess I'll type up the review. ^_^

The beautiful and the brawny
General Motors' Kodiak C4500 is quickly becoming popular among customers and after-market converters.  As a response to the excitement around the Chevy Bruin during the SEMA show, GM now produces even higher-capacity, high-performance light-duty trucks satsifying multiple customer needs.
The C4500 offers large truck capabilities with the ride, comfort and interior sound level similar to that of a mid-size sedan.  And, with best-in-class visibility and maneuverability, and conersion-ease, the Kodiak C4500 offers qualities that retail customers want, commercial owners/operators need, and with which converters and specialty vehicle manufacturers can profit.
(anyway this article is very long so I'm just gonna type up the key points now...hands are getting tired...)
From the driver's seat, looking over the hood, the driver's line of sight is 13 feet to theroad; the F450's is twice as long, at 26 feet.  This gives the driver a 13-foot margin of safety advantage, and makes it much easier to see objects and avoid accidents.
Each C4500 has a 54 degree wheel cut (huh?).  When equipped with a 60 inch cab-to-axle, the C4500 has a turning radius of 35 feet, comparable to a Cavalier.  Compare that to the F450 with a turning diameter of 521 feet. (is that a typo?! 521 feet?!...52?)  
Can be had with a Duramax 6600 diesel or 8.1L GM Powertrain gas engine with the customer's choice of a 6-speed manual or the Allison 1000 Auto with optional PTO Overdrive.

TBR

it is just a medium duty truck (I am not quite sure why the call it a light duty truck :wacko:), similar to the F-650/750. You probably see them as delivery vans and tow trucks all the time.  

93JC

QuoteI've never actually heard of or seen this truck before...

Each C4500 has a 54 degree wheel cut (huh?).  When equipped with a 60 inch cab-to-axle, the C4500 has a turning radius of 35 feet, comparable to a Cavalier.  Compare that to the F450 with a turning diameter of 521 feet. (is that a typo?! 521 feet?!...52?)
You've probably seen lots of them, or its GMC twin, TopKick.

"Wheel cut" is the angle at which the front wheels are turned, relative to straight ahead, at one lock of the steering or the other.

And the turning circle of the F450 is 42.3-57.8 feet, depending on the cab style and bed length.

giant_mtb

But this one has 4 full size doors...let me scan the pic from the paper...and try to get Imageshack to work...it's being a jerk.  <_<  

giant_mtb

93JC

Yeah, you can get Kodiaks with a crew cab and a pickup bed.

Again, you've probably seen lots of them, albeit with a regular cab and a specialized rear (I see lots of cube-vans which use the Kodiak/TopKick chassis and cab).

giant_mtb

Yeah...I guess I have prolly seen them, but this was the first time I was ever made known of its name.

93JC

Most people don't tend to notice or care about commercial trucks.

(I think they're awesome. Trucks, vans, buses...)

giant_mtb

The only commercial trucks I really like are semi-trucks.  Big engines, diesels, turbochargers...10+ gears...must be a heck of a time driving one!  :lol:  

TBR

QuoteYeah...I guess I have prolly seen them, but this was the first time I was ever made known of its name.
It is a pretty bizarre name. The GMC versions are named Kodiak, which is even more bizarre.  

93JC

QuoteThe GMC versions are named Kodiak, which is even more bizarre.
No, the GMC version is named TopKick!

giant_mtb

No!  They're called "I don't care what they're called as long as they have turbo diesels!"  ;)  :rockon:  

TBR

Sure enough, why does that article call their tester a Topkick when in reality it is a Kodiak since it is a Chevy?  

giant_mtb

Sure enough, why does that article call their tester a Topkick when in reality it is a Kodiak since it is a Chevy?
:blink:  They do call it a Kodiak, though.  :blink:  

TBR

Oh, I see my mistake, 93JC's post confused me (I rarely actually dedicated 100%  of my brain power to reading posts).  

giant_mtb

Oh, I see my mistake, 93JC's post confused me (I rarely actually dedicated 100%  of my brain power to reading posts).
:D  

Speed_Racer

Oh, these commmercial trucks are really cool.

R33 GT-R

I would much rather have the International CXT.  It's bad to the bone.

You can even get a hunting version.

My sister n law told me Ashton Kutcher picked her up in one of these when they first came out.  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

Lots of gauges!  :o  

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

R33 GT-R

thewizard16

QuoteBitch, please.

:o  I'd be pissed if I owned the red truck.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BMWDave

QuoteBitch, please.

Nothing you can do about it though. :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

QuoteBitch, please.

Nothing you can do about it though. :lol:
You could attempt to slash the CAT's tires!  :lol:  (keyword: attempt!)

R33 GT-R

You better try it with a chainsaw and not a pig sticker.

R33 GT-R

I wonder what Toby Keith thinks about this pic since he's a Ford Truck Man?

footoflead

QuoteBitches, please.
semi's :rolleyes:

the CXT will kick you semi's @$$ off-road :rockon:

i want a CXT :lol:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

How many MPG's does a semi get?  :blink:  Like 6? 8?  Don't they have like 150 gallon fuel tanks or something?

BMWDave

QuoteHow many MPG's does a semi get?  :blink:  Like 6? 8?  Don't they have like 150 gallon fuel tanks or something?
They have huge fuel tanks, and they get like 5mpg of diesel fuel.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

QuoteHow many MPG's does a semi get?  :blink:  Like 6? 8?  Don't they have like 150 gallon fuel tanks or something?
They have huge fuel tanks, and they get like 5mpg of diesel fuel.
Wow that sucks.  Don't truckers have to pay for their own fuel, too?  :ph34r:  They must have at least 200 gallon tanks...because you rarely see trucks at the pump; they're either stopped, weighing in, or driving.