IFCAR Comparison: Economy Sedans

Started by ifcar, February 11, 2007, 03:06:07 PM

ifcar

Many of you may remember the most recent IFCAR comparison that I posted here (subcompact hatchbacks and station wagons), and here is an examination of economy sedans:

http://ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.economysedans.htm

The comparison itself should be complete, let me know if you find errors either in content or with the site. If you see dead or misdirected links, formatting or spelling errors, or inaccurate statements, let me know immediately.

If you have questions, please ask. If you disagree with anything, please bring it up for an INTELLIGENT debate (IE not "Well, I thought this should have been in first place, so you're wrong" and please, no personal insults). The ranking order isn't everything, please read the explanations (the first and last paragraphs of each review page) if you feel the need to say anything pertinent.

If this is the first time you've come across an IFCAR comparison, you can check out the others http://ifcar.net/.

That should cover everything, so enjoy!

TBR

Didn't read it, but I don't really disagree with the rankings consider you take the average buyer in mind instead of the enthuisist. The Impreza and Mazda3 would be at the top of my list, but then my priorities are different than most. Also, will you add the new Lancer when it comes out?

Finally, does the site have a stylesheet? (it's been too long).

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on February 11, 2007, 03:09:20 PM
Didn't read it, but I don't really disagree with the rankings consider you take the average buyer in mind instead of the enthuisist. The Impreza and Mazda3 would be at the top of my list, but then my priorities are different than most. Also, will you add the new Lancer when it comes out?

Finally, does the site have a stylesheet? (it's been too long).

I'll redo it after the Lancer, Focus, and Corolla redesigns are out.

I won't pretend I know what a stylesheet is.

Raghavan

I would've put the Scooby in first, because it's more performance orientated, but overall, i agree.

ifcar

Quote from: Raghavan on February 11, 2007, 03:11:55 PM
I would've put the Scooby in first, because it's more performance orientated, but overall, i agree.

In base form, it doesn't give an impression of performance, though it handles well.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2007, 03:11:52 PM
I'll redo it after the Lancer, Focus, and Corolla redesigns are out.

I won't pretend I know what a stylesheet is.

Excellent. Is there a .css file in the main directory of the web site, I now know how to fix the image alignment problems we were having.

ro51092

I would take the Subaru first, then the Mazda.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on February 11, 2007, 03:14:20 PM
Excellent. Is there a .css file in the main directory of the web site, I now know how to fix the image alignment problems we were having.

I didn't see one in main listing, but it could be buried in a folder. Its potential absence would be causing what?

TBR

No, but its absence does mean that it would require a whole bunch of work to fix it (copy and pasting text into the header of each file). If you are willing, pm me.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2007, 03:12:42 PM
In base form, it doesn't give an impression of performance, though it handles well.
Well they have great performance potential and it has 4WD so its bound to be fun even if it's not that fast.

TheIntrepid

One question; did you drive every single one of these cars?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

the Teuton

I can't disagree with much, if any of it.  I think you're a Focus troll, but I also realize the Focus really isn't that bad of a car.  I'm glad that the Impreza faired as well as it did for being such an old design (it came out here for 2002 but it's still very similar to the older GC/GM/GF models).

For an economy car, I can't disagree with your rankings.  For fun to own/most desirable to own, I would rank them very differently.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SaltyDog

A good read as always.

My list would start out:
Imprezza
Mazda3
Focus
Forenza
the rest don't interest me much

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

nickdrinkwater

Interesting read, ifcar.

Not surprised that everyone is picking the Impreza, seeing as its much bigger than the competition (two 'classes' above the Yaris, Aveo etc) and more expensive.  I don't really see it as an economy car, so I'm surprised you included it.

SaltyDog

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 11, 2007, 04:51:24 PM
Interesting read, ifcar.

Not surprised that everyone is picking the Impreza, seeing as its much bigger than the competition (two 'classes' above the Yaris, Aveo etc) and more expensive.  I don't really see it as an economy car, so I'm surprised you included it.

People tend to cross-shop some very different cars, so it makes enough sense to me.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 11, 2007, 04:51:24 PM
Interesting read, ifcar.

The prices don't correspond to the sizes of the cars enough to justify separating them. The Yaris is within $200 of the Corolla (more than many larger cars), the Focus is the least expensive car in the group, etc. Furthermore, most of these cars will be looked at by the same people anyway.

WookieOnRitalin

Some surprises here.

Kia Spectra, mostly unchanged from the last comparison drops all the way from 2nd to 12th? Ouch. Apparently anti-lock breaks are really important to your comparisons. I have never thought much of the Spectra and in fact, I disagreed on its placing in the last comparison test.

What bugs me is Versa over Elantra. Looking at your evalutations, the Elantra actually rated higher in more categories than the Versa, has better acceleration, better ride, better handling, and much larger. How is it not a better vehicle than the Versa? The only thing better the Versa does is price which is very nice indeed. In hatch form, it might be the best bargain car without as much trade offs, but as a Sedan, I can't help but believe that the Elantra is a better car in most ways when compared to the Versa. I would think that on the highway, the Versa would be not nearly as hospitable as the Elantra. The Versa is actually heavier than the Elantra. I don't agree with the faulting the space inefficiency of the Elantra, when in fact, its the largest vehicle in this comparison. Using hinges in the trunk is hardly unacceptable especially when the only difference it makes is what another cubic foot at most?

Ah well, its not bad.

I still like Mazda3 over Civic, but crash ratings can make the Civic a better choice (plus fuel economy). The Corolla needs to find its way to the middle of the pack too. I don't understand what's so special about it. It's just average in pretty much every way. I don't know what you found so quick about the Corolla, but when I drove it, it would not move quick anywhere. It's so slow especially in the mid range. When you combine that with its shortcomings in handling and ride. In comparison, the new Nissan Sentra's ride is far more supple than that of a Corolla. Driving around suburban Chicago was not fun. The problems I had with Corolla came down to I was in touch with most road imperfections and out of touch with the car itself.

I have zero love for the Corolla. I hope the next generation does not suck out the driving experience out the car as well.

Besides that ifcar, not bad work. I can't argue nor complain about much else.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

Hey Ifcar, I like your articles and they're well written and everything, but I wish you had more pictures. Or at least if I could click on the pictures to make them bigger that would be cool.? ;)

If it was the Versa hatchback I might agree with the 1st place ranking, but I if you're the type of person who would choose a sedan over a hatchback, you probably don't care as much about fuel economy, practicality and value. Therefore, I think fun to drive, handling/acceleration, or even styling should have carried more weight in this particular test.

Oh, and how you found a Focus ZX4 SE with an automatic for only $14,194, I have no idea.
Has Ford lowering their prices again? The sticker price on my '05 ZX3 S base model with only the optional A/C was over $14K.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 11, 2007, 10:24:44 PM

What bugs me is Versa over Elantra. Looking at your evalutations, the Elantra actually rated higher in more categories than the Versa, has better acceleration, better ride, better handling, and much larger. How is it not a better vehicle than the Versa? The only thing better the Versa does is price which is very nice indeed. In hatch form, it might be the best bargain car without as much trade offs, but as a Sedan, I can't help but believe that the Elantra is a better car in most ways when compared to the Versa. I would think that on the highway, the Versa would be not nearly as hospitable as the Elantra. The Versa is actually heavier than the Elantra. I don't agree with the faulting the space inefficiency of the Elantra, when in fact, its the largest vehicle in this comparison. Using hinges in the trunk is hardly unacceptable especially when the only difference it makes is what another cubic foot at most?

Versa vs. Elantra was very close. Either of them could have taken the win. I gave the Versa the edge because it was more fun to drive (though only in the way that a Corolla is more fun to drive than a Tahoe), thus more well-rounded. I certainly didn't criticize its space efficiency in the trunk or cabin.

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on February 11, 2007, 10:45:10 PM

Oh, and how you found a Focus ZX4 SE with an automatic for only $14,194, I have no idea.
Has Ford lowering their prices again? The sticker price on my '05 ZX3 S base model with only the optional A/C was over $14K.

I don't use sticker prices. The Focus sells at a discount and carries a $2,000 or $2,500 rebate, which brings down the actual selling price (as you no doubt found when you were buying). The numbers are real-world price estimates from CarsDirect.com.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2007, 04:37:41 AM

It was more a statement of shock than a question of fact.  I had no idea.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

The sedan just went on sale in the last two months.

omicron

I think, Iffy, you'd like a Mazda2. It would do well against the criteria for a good economy car; probably more so than a Mazda3, and it's distinctive and fun to drive at the same time.

I must say, though, that this comparison shows just how much the class is crying out for a brilliant class-leader.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: omicron on February 12, 2007, 06:38:30 AM
I think, Iffy, you'd like a Mazda2. It would do well against the criteria for a good economy car; probably more so than a Mazda3, and it's distinctive and fun to drive at the same time.

I must say, though, that this comparison shows just how much the class is crying out for a brilliant class-leader.

Is that possible given budget constraints? Eventually, all automakers will have to come up short somewhere. Brilliance is a subjective thing. A lot here and elsewhere think the Mazda3 is a brilliant car and undoubtedly the class leader. Hell, go check edmunds for that, but it has shortcomings as well mainly in fuel inefficiency (2.3L) and crash testing.

You evaluate trade offs, points of emphasis (safety, fun to drive, etc), and ultimately, that is how you decide which is the best car in your mind. There is no way that anyone can hope for a perfect economy sedan without commanding a premium price in order to get it and at that point it is no longer an economy car now is it?

There will always be competition in this class. Always.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Raza

Would the Suzuki Swift fit in this class, were it here?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on February 12, 2007, 08:08:48 AM
Would the Suzuki Swift fit in this class, were it here?

It's the same size as the Yaris (well, hatch anyway) but much smaller than, say, an Impreza.

Question for you - what's the difference in size between a Versa saloon and a Sentra saloon?

etypeJohn

Interesting.  Having extensively evaluated both the Focus and Mazda before deciding on the Mazda (in Feb 2006) I am at a loss to understand how the Focus was ranked higher. 

Better engine, better driving dynamics, better aminities, better interior, better ergonomics, better looks (subjective), better mileage.  I'll take the Mazda, thank you very much.