Project Car...The Beetle.

Started by JWC, February 15, 2007, 07:12:19 PM

JWC

No, I've always preferred the BRMs.

ChrisV

Very cool. You gonna put the smaller taillights on it? Made my '72 Super Beetle look like a '60s version doing that.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

JWC

Yeah, I'm going with the early style tail lamps.  I was going "cal" with the front, but decided to use the smaller turn signals for fenders also.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: JWC on April 21, 2007, 09:40:00 AM
Well, F*$K.

There is an old trick of finding TDC for #1 cylinder on a VW by sticking a pencil down the spark plug hole.

Works great if you take the car out of gear first. Leaving the car in gear and rocking the engine back and forth, evidently, leads to disaster. The pencil was too short, the car moved and knocked the pencil from fingers and now is lost down the cylinder.

Gotta pull the engine and head.

Dammit!

:banghead:

After I calmed down, I decided that this is a prime opportunity to do some engine work, minor stuff, that is easier when the engine is out. Just have to make the best of a really, really bonehead, rookie, stupid mistake.

I'd try hooking a vacuum cleaner up to the spark plug hole.

I've done something similar on my Z except I was smart enough to use a dipstick! :ohyeah:

JWC

Thanks, but it now runs fine.  To do either of those two things would require removing the engine anyway...the clearance is that tight.

JWC

I spent a couple of hours on the VW this morning.   Removed bumper and runnings boards...with the running boards out of the way, more problems presented themselves.  So, long story short, the sedan will get a quickie comestic dress-up.  The convertible will move to the front of the line.

JWC

I also changed the title of this thread since there is no longer a maybe.

heelntoe

just read through all of this.(yes, i have no life)

what are these three-way headlights you speak of? any pics?
i have a friend who has a beetle that might be interested.
@heelntoe

JWC

Well, I thought I book marked the page.  I was considering shaving the turn signals off the top of the fenders, but I want to use early blade style bumpers on my 1971, no integrated T/Signals in the bumper.  Hella makes a head lamp, round, that incorporates the turn signal into the headlamp unit. 

Check local laws, many require some kind of side marker lamp and those are part of the original turn signal assembly.  What I thought would be cool is to use European style side marker lamps just between the front fenders and the doors,  on the side panel.   Like those on a Saab and Volvo.

heelntoe

Quote from: JWC on May 12, 2007, 03:09:18 PM
Well, I thought I book marked the page.  I was considering shaving the turn signals off the top of the fenders, but I want to use early blade style bumpers on my 1971, no integrated T/Signals in the bumper.  Hella makes a head lamp, round, that incorporates the turn signal into the headlamp unit. 

Check local laws, many require some kind of side marker lamp and those are part of the original turn signal assembly.  What I thought would be cool is to use European style side marker lamps just between the front fenders and the doors,  on the side panel.   Like those on a Saab and Volvo.
the car is euro spec, so it has the markers in front of the doors.

another of my friends is trying to make a 10 second beetle(started off with a super sedan, i can't wait)
@heelntoe

Raghavan

Quote from: JWC on May 12, 2007, 03:09:18 PM

LOL THERE ARE NO LAUZ IN INDIA F00.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raghavan on May 12, 2007, 03:16:24 PM
LOL THERE ARE NO LAUZ IN INDIA F00.
actually, the laws are not very kind to classic cars here. :(
@heelntoe

JWC

Didn't know where he was from.

Funny, he doesn't write with an accent. :huh:

heelntoe

@heelntoe

JWC

Photos of the project car, less bumpers and running boards.   

S204STi

Wow, that's actually in not bad shape!

heelntoe

yeah, the paint looks nice too.
@heelntoe

Secret Chimp

The inside looks really good, save for the floor. Thinking of doing any kind of a 70s-vintage Porsche engine swap?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

JWC

Overall, the car has the amount of wear you would expect from a 36 year old car that has never seen anything other than maintenance.  That was the appeal of this car.  It was bought originally at the local VW dealer, except for a stint at NC State, it remained in the same town.  Never wrecked, never repainted. Technically, I'm the fourth owner.  The original owner bought it for his daughter to go to NC State, then he took it over when she bought a new car, then it was sold to a friend of mine, then sold to me.

If I was not so particular about my vehicles, I would replace the carpet (about 60.00), clean the engine and replace the muffler (about 75.00), repaint it myself, (about 100.00), and replace the tires (250.00).  Then, just drive it.  But, if I'm going through all the work of taking out all the dents and repairing the rust areas, I may as well go ahead and do the rest of the car correctly as well.

ChrisV

That's in vastly better shape than most of my project Beetles. Can't wait to see how both of them turn out...

You can buy early fenders that don't have the turn signal holes in them already. That would allow you to use the early headlight assemblies that have a parking light in them (that is easy to swap out for a parking light/turn signal assembly). the blade bumpers that you are looking to use are the pre '68 versions, right? IIRC you'll have to make custom bumper brackets for them, as they normally mount from inside the apron, rather than through the fenders like the later bumpers do. A good compromise are the ribbed Briz bumpers that I used on a couple customer cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

VTEC_Inside

I'm trying to figure out how I missed this thread before...  I haven't read it all yet though....

A friend of mine from College has been restoring one as well. He has documented his progress here:

http://www2.bugs78.ca:8830/?page_id=196

All his links seem to be down at the moment. He had a lot of pictures, so I assume he will be fixing those in time. Just thought a few of you might be interested in this one as well.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Tave

So wait, is there still a pencil in your cylinder?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JWC

Quote from: Tave on May 14, 2007, 12:00:32 PM
So wait, is there still a pencil in your cylinder?

Naw, that crisis passed without any major incident (read: damage).  I just got PO'd with the whole problem and cranked the engine over by hand several times.  There was a wood crunching noise, but the engine spit and sputtered, misfired for about two or threee minutes and leveled out.

I did this, against my better judgement, but on the advice of some members on a VW aircooled forum.   Not something I would do with any other engine design or manufacturer.

Secret Chimp

That's a strange engine deposit to be left with.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Zcarnut

Lemmie know when you need parts JWC...Car(s) looks to have potential!
Heres my project as of last week:

2 1/2" custom body lift
1600 DP engine
70' IRS pan.
Potential to make thousands smile!
Launch date...End of May (hopefully)

She looks better already now that I applied the roll on bedliner to the floor/sides and installed all the lights (except headlights).
Just fabricated/installed the rear seat support too.Dont want someone to jump in back and the body breaks/cracks!

I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

JWC

Great looking project.  How long have you been working on it?  BTW, are you still working at a dealership?  I noticed you appear to be involved with the VW shop in Elizabeth City.  (Saw the ads on Samba).

At least I know where to pick up used parts if needed. 

Zcarnut

How long have I been working on it? Hard to say.I spent a day or half day a week since January doing the bodywork.
Ive been more intently putting it together since it was painted last week.I bought it with the pan already cut,new floors,brakes all new and lines run,etc.But the body needed ALOT of help.With the bodywork done,its basically assembly with a little fab work here and there (custom brackets,etc)The motors long built and in the shop waiting to go in.And ive got abut 99% of the parts I need together now that my flip top? fuel cap arrived.
Heres some advise for any buggy builder.If you cant find a body in nice shape already,just shell out the $1300 or so for a new one already painted!
I'll probably have 60 hours in this thing total.Maybe 70.
I HATE BODYWORK NOW
As for me? Yeah im still at the dealership.Joes a friend of mine and I help out at his shop and handle his internet sales.
In return I get any used part I need and a little green depending on the deal. That reminds me..Theres some 3 point belts in a VW Fox with my name all over them!
Again gimmie a call if you need somthing.I'll hook you up.

BTW..Heres what she looked like in January.Andthis wasafter I started some repairs!

JWC

Geez, hard to believe that's the same car.

I had my eye on a dune buggy.  It is underneath a tobacco barn shelter and has been sitting for at least three years.  The farmer who used around the farm passed away and his son owns it now, but doesn't know what to do with it.    He just doesn't want to sell it.    I hate seeing a car go to waste, any car.  Well, almost any car...even a Chevette has parts that can be used on a hot rod.

Zcarnut

Well the nice thing about fiberglass is it doesnt rust out.
The biggest problems with mine was cleaning up 30 years of other peoples quick fixes.
I found bondo on the passenger side that never cured!

Theres a green one in Elizabeth City for sale on Ebay.I talked to the guy who owns it for a friend.Its been sitting 15 years,but is complete and was kept indoors..(Or at least a shed or somthing).Body looks real good and the guy said it had no cracks.Its not a Manx or a Manx clone but its a good looking design.Looks kind of like a Ocelot or maybe a Clamdigger.
The bidding started at $1500 and no one has bid yet.
It would be nice if that guy would just sell that one to you.According to the Samba community,buggies are making a comeback.
Pick up a Carolina Bargain Trader and look in there cover to cover (even the motorcycle section).Ive seen a few in there in various conditions before.Alot of them are closer to you than me.

pommes-t