My dad wants a new truck

Started by 280Z Turbo, February 23, 2007, 03:29:44 PM

280Z Turbo

As I've mentioned before, my dad's Dakota is like a semi truck stuck in a compact truck's body. The engine has all the refinement and power of a wood furnace, the brakes and suspension are mush, the gas mileage is horrible, and it just drives big. Add on to that the fact that it has been giving us more trouble than what the '86 Ranger ever did and you can see why we want to get rid of it.

My dad wants 2WD, 5 speed, power nothing, no cruise control, cloth, regular cab, etc. He doesn't do much heavy hauling, but we do fill up the bed every once in a while.

I think he should get another Ranger. Domestics are cheaper, obviously, and the 2002+ models feature the 2.3L DOHC Duratec which returns fuel mileage in the mid twenties (instead of middle teens :mask:). It also sounds like they are a lot more nimble and drive like a small truck should (i.e. not squishy and fat-like).

He doesn't have much money to spend ($5K-6K, I think) so it may be hard to find a 2002 model with the 2.3.

What do you guys think of used Rangers? Here's a review I found of the 2002 like what my dad would get: http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0206_2002_ford_ranger_xlt

What about the S-10? Tacoma? Frontier? The Japanese trucks are more expensive, but are they worth it?

The Pirate

I'm partial to 4WD Tacomas, but for basic, functional transportation, Rangers seem to be good trucks.  I liked mine.  It'd certainly be cheaper than an import, and for his use, I don't know if he'd need any purported advantages of the Japanese trucks.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

Rangers excel at basic, inexpensive transportation, but don't expect it to be much better than the Dakota in too many other ways.

280Z Turbo

Well, even my '86 Ranger had way better brakes and acceleration than the Dakota. I'd say it even handled better, despite the lack of any swaybars, worn dampers, twin I beam suspension, and recirculating ball steering.

My roomate's 2001 Ranger Edge seems nicer than the Dakota by far.

Do you realize what a piece of crap the V6 Dakota really is? The all hard plastic interior, brakes, handling, engine, trans, is all just rubbish.

Of course my dad is more concerned with build quality/reliabilty and fuel mileage.

the Teuton

The 2WD Ranger is hard to beat for reliability, so sayeth Consumer Reports.  My best friend use to have have one.  I think it's the best choice, to be honest.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SaltyDog

Rangers are fun trucks and cost little, the Nissan and Yota cost too much but are good, and the S-10 is a slow piece of crap.

Imo.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

Stay away from earlier Frontiers--floppy chassis, worthless engines, and rust-prone.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on February 23, 2007, 06:21:18 PM
worthless engines

:evildude:

The Frontiers either had the VG33E or KA24DE. The VG motor has been proven to withstand up to 500, 600, even 800 hp! Hell, the stock VG30 bottom end will support 500 hp in turbocharged applications before the stock cast pistons give out.

The KA is aparently very similar in design to the L motor, which is the motor that is in my car.

Believe me, those are both good motors.

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 23, 2007, 09:16:19 PM
:evildude:

The Frontiers either had the VG33E or KA24DE. The VG motor has been proven to withstand up to 500, 600, even 800 hp! Hell, the stock VG30 bottom end will support 500 hp in turbocharged applications before the stock cast pistons give out.

The KA is aparently very similar in design to the L motor, which is the motor that is in my car.

Believe me, those are both good motors.

They may be good in terms of construction but in terms of real world performance they are lackluster, and it was a real relief when they came out with the VQ40 and QR25 (although I admit the QR25 isn't nearly as reliable as the KA24).  I am a former Nissan tech.

The Pirate

My dad had a Nissan Pathfinder with the VG33E/5 speed, and it was balls reliable, just slow as hell.  Good torque though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on February 23, 2007, 09:42:04 PM
My dad had a Nissan Pathfinder with the VG33E/5 speed, and it was balls reliable, just slow as hell.? Good torque though.

That is my main problem with the engine.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on February 23, 2007, 09:46:35 PM
That is my main problem with the engine.

All they need is some forced induction!  :ohyeah:

Rupert

The 4.3L Vortec in the S-10 is a great engine. I'm not sure on the mileage, but the one my parents have is quick enough. Of course, anything not essential for going, stopping, turning, and not falling apart is pretty much made of plastic.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Payman

I'd also recommend the Mazda B2300. It's basically a Ranger, but you can usually find them cheaper and in more basic form than the Ranger.

ro51092

Honda Accord? Just slap an old bed to that, and you've got a Ridgeline!

Seriously, though, I know nothing about pickups, but I think I would go with an older Tacoma

Submariner

Quote from: Payman on February 24, 2007, 06:03:31 AM
I'd also recommend the Mazda B2300. It's basically a Ranger, but you can usually find them cheaper and in more basic form than the Ranger.

Plus it has an  import badge on it, so it makes it 20% better!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Payman

Quote from: Submariner on February 24, 2007, 07:07:26 AM
Plus it has an? import badge on it, so it makes it 20% better!

Obviously.  :rolleyes:

thewizard16

For him, I'd probably recommend the Ranger. He seems to want a no-frills truck for cheap, and they fit that bill. I don't know how much better it will be than a Dakota, but it'd fit the price range, which a Toyota or Nissan probably won't. The 90s Toyota trucks were pretty nice trucks, but I don't know how new of one you can get for $5-6k.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TheIntrepid

Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Dually. :lol: It's your best option. ;)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

thewizard16

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 24, 2007, 09:44:51 AM
Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Dually. :lol: It's your best option. ;)
If you could find one of those in the price range he mentioned, it'd probably be dented, have filed off VINs, and be soaked in blood.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on February 24, 2007, 01:17:08 AM
The 4.3L Vortec in the S-10 is a great engine. I'm not sure on the mileage, but the one my parents have is quick enough. Of course, anything not essential for going, stopping, turning, and not falling apart is pretty much made of plastic.

I know some people with Blazers/Jimmys/S-10s/Sonomas and they've had a lot of problems with them.

For what it's worth, the GM trucks were rated worse than the Dakota in reliabilty surveys.

ro51092

I would put slap a VR6 in that, and I've got a sleeper.

280Z Turbo

Anybody have an opinions on the 2.5L SOHC four cylinder or 3.0L SOHC V6 used in the Rangers? I like the 2.3L the best, but they are hard to find.

Just to be clear, my dad doesn't want a work truck with a vinyl bench, dog dish hub caps, gray front fascia, etc. Most of the trucks with the 2.3L and a 5 speed seem to be in that category.

the Teuton

My best friend used to have a 1996 Ranger 4 cyl. automatic longbed regular cab 2WD.  Personally, I thought it was a very good truck and he never seemed to have any mechanical problems with it.  It wasn't the fastest thing on earth, but it wasn't particularly wheezy either.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

I've heard that the 4l gets similar mileage to the 3l but with a lot more power.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

SaltyDog

I would drive that in a second^

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ro51092