Slight VW Phaeton facelift

Started by Galaxy, March 06, 2007, 05:25:15 AM

Galaxy

The Phaeton has recieved a slight facelift. Thankfully the exterior and interior have been little changed most of the modifications are under the skin.

The V6 TDI now produces 233hp.

nickdrinkwater

Very nice!  I don't see many Phaetons around, but when I do see one, I always think how smart it looks.

J86

It's a cool car.  Do any of the other big luxo-barges hide the vents behind wood panels?

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CMan

I always liked the Phaeton.

However, American's were too hung up on brand names and badges to buy it.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

omicron

How to ruin the Phaeton's interior #1: Use Pine-Lime leather and black shoe polish.

93JC

sportyaccordy

I have seen more Porsches/Lamborghinis/Ferarris than the single Phaeton I've seen...

Good luck VW

omicron

Incidentally, I love the look of the exterior, I love the look of its interior in proper colours, and I wish for the featured Phaeton to reverse over the ghastly silver Eos nearby.

Galaxy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 06, 2007, 08:04:50 AM
I have seen more Porsches/Lamborghinis/Ferarris than the single Phaeton I've seen...

Good luck VW

In some markets when it first came out the Phaeton and A8 combined sold more units then the 7er and S class combined.

Galaxy

Quote from: omicron on March 06, 2007, 07:35:09 AM
How to ruin the Phaeton's interior #1: Use Pine-Lime leather and black shoe polish.

Here are some more examples of how to ruin it. This is the? negative aspect of bespoke cars.? ;)

The lack of taste of some people.  :banghead:

This on the other hand.....

:mrcool:

Raza

It looks gorgeous.  I've always loved this car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

I'd rather have an A8L, S550, or LS460... but this is a wicked car.

Tave

Yup, it's still a nice car I have no desire to experience.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Panama_Chopster

AKL

Quote from: 93JC on March 06, 2007, 07:42:30 AM
They still make the Phaeton?

What I thought to.
:huh: I thought they stopped production

Anyways, I've always liked the Phaeton. It's a beautiful luxury car. But I really can't pay that much for a VW  ;)
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

SVT_Power

I thought it was selling well elsewhere other than NA
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

Quote from: M_power on March 06, 2007, 04:28:30 PM
I thought it was selling well elsewhere other than NA

As I mentioned it was selling quite well when it was new but sales numbers have dropped of considerably in the last year.

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on March 06, 2007, 07:42:30 AM
They still make the Phaeton?

According to reports ex VW CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder und the head of the VW group Wolfgang Bernhard wanted to stop Phaeton production but ex CEO and current head of the supervisory board Ferdinand Pi?ch apparently had a class three meltdown apon hearing the news.  Pi?ch is also one of the  the largest shareholders in Porsche which conviently is the largest shareholder in Volkswagen. 

Atomic

Quote from: CMan on March 06, 2007, 07:22:14 AM
I always liked the Phaeton.

However, American's were too hung up on brand names and badges to buy it.

well, yes and no imo. maybach sales have never met expectations despite the exclusivity of this historic brand and it's highly unique badges. i, too, liked the phaeton after driving one. however, it's highly conservative (passat-like) looks turned me off when factoring price.

Raghavan

It's a great looking car with the wrong badge.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

goldenlover1101

i love the interior but the exterior is just too bland for me...boring! Give me an audi a8 anyday

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

sandertheshark

This needs to find it's way into the thread.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 06, 2007, 10:42:04 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

They still make them on the European market.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Galaxy on March 06, 2007, 04:44:59 PM
According to reports ex VW CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder und the head of the VW group Wolfgang Bernhard wanted to stop Phaeton production but ex CEO and current head of the supervisory board Ferdinand Pi?ch apparently had a class three meltdown apon hearing the news.?

:nutty:

old Fred is seriously off his rocker. this lovechild of a car of his has become a laughingstock of the car industry. I can't even tell it was facelifted by looking at the pics.

I will admit, though, that it's a very attractive car with a nice interior. if this car were priced against the E550, 550i, etc. with the W12 within 10k higher, it would've really been something. but priced against the 750i and higher than the current LS460? the Phaeton starts to look like a Jetta in a tux :rolleyes:

it should've been no surprise to VW that people in this market, especially in the U.S., shop for badges. at least Toyota knew that the LS can't wear the same badge in America as a Corolla :praise:

edit: great. now I'm mad that I wasted my 300th post complaining about a dead (in the U.S.) VW. thanks alot, Fred. oh, well. it could've been worse.

JYODER240

The problem for me with the Pheaton is what about it makes it better than the A8?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 06, 2007, 08:04:50 AM

Good luck VW

I'm pretty sure that the one I saw was the one that C/D tested.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

This could really overfill a Passat-shaped hole in someone's life :partyon:.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)