(Really Crappy) Pics of Subaru Red Rocks Meet...56k go pound sand!

Started by S204STi, March 25, 2007, 03:12:22 PM

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on March 26, 2007, 03:04:14 PM
I would imagine that some of the cars at an event like that could hand a new Z06 its ass until about 120 mph.? Some of those cars are insane.

I noticed though that some of the heavily modified ones don't run very smoothly at idle, and they are raucously loud in an irritating way.  Seems that there are a lot of Scoobiphiles who think the rorty fart-cans work.  I prefer the smoother-sounding Prodrive and Borla stuff, because it lets out the low, rumbly boxer sound without the high-pitch noises some other cans let out.

J86

Not really remotely related (well, remotely, 'cause it's Subies!), but I was home this weekend (got to see my car for the first time in a week an a half!- cant drive it tohuhg :( ) and my grandma parked her '05 Forester right next to it.  Popping both hoods, it's funny how similar the motors look, even 12 years apart!

I really like the steering wheels and center stack of new subies, btw.

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on March 26, 2007, 06:19:37 PM
Not really remotely related (well, remotely, 'cause it's Subies!), but I was home this weekend (got to see my car for the first time in a week an a half!- cant drive it tohuhg :( ) and my grandma parked her '05 Forester right next to it.? Popping both hoods, it's funny how similar the motors look, even 12 years apart!

I really like the steering wheels and center stack of new subies, btw.

Two things about that:

First, your g-ma has an EJ253, IIRC in her Forester.  You have an EJ22E.  I thought hers was a DOHC engine, but Wikipedia is saying differently.  Yours is a SOHC, but believe it or not, most of the displacement differences in a Subaru engine can be attributed to the piston heads and the length of the rods.  Other than that, the bore on most of the cylinders are very similar from EJ18 all the way up to EJ25.  When I get back, I'll show you what I mean when I get to rip apart the old engine, but the block on every car from 1989 until now except for the Loyale, Justy, XT (using the old EA82 engine), and H6 models is very similar. 

What does this mean to you?  Probably nothing...or you can steal the heads with the camshafts from your grandma's Forester, put them on your car, and boom, you suddenly have a far better breathing car.  That would be a little mean to give your grandma your old SOHC cams, but it really can be done from what I've read and researched.

Second thing, a wise man once said that Subarus are like legos--you can pretty much pick and choose what you want from newer cars and put them on older ones and it will work.  From what I understand, that includes dashboards.  ;)

On that note of corruption, I can't wait until I can go to something like that.  I was afraid that everyone in our local Subaru club would have WRXs, STis, and SVXs, but it looks like everyone has a little bit of everything at these events.  That would make me feel more comfortable showing up to something like that.  Thanks Roy!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:06:03 PM
Not with 200 supercharged horsepower...I put that much down at the wheels.
No you don't, AWD drivetrain losses have to be more than 27 hp for sure...

J86

Hehe oooooh that'd be a cruel trick to play on a 70-something year old lady.  She just got the car three days ago! :lol:  (traded in -03 and '01 Foresters for this one, actually).  Not a bad idea though... :lol:

Side benefit of me not being able to drive my car:  dad couldn't stand pulling up with an exhaust that sounded like an angry lawnmower, so he patched some of the holes in it :lol:

Not with 200 supercharged horsepower...I put that much down at the wheels.?

Cobalt SS's will put down more than their rated 205HP to the wheels.  They are extremely underrated.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12403/2007-chevrolet-cobalt-ss-supercharged.html

Cobalt SS
0-to-60-mph time: 6.1 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.6 sec @ 99 mph
Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 32.3 sec

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12406/2007-subaru-impreza-wrx.html

WRX
0-to-60-mph time: 5.6 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.3 sec @ 96 mph
Zero to 100 mph: 15.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 36.3 sec

And just for fun

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12404/2007-toyota-camry-v-6.html

Toyota Camry V6
Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec

Cars are getting fast these days.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

I've chucked a Camry into a hard corner and I've done the same with my car and its stock suspension (it's crap, trust me).  With the Camry (a 1995), it felt like the thing was going to flip.  It understeered and dived so much that I thought the front bumper was going to dig into the pavement.

My car, OTOH, was decent and chuckable.  It still rolled more than a dead Wimmer in his grave finding out that his grand children bought Camries would, but it felt so controllable.  On that note, and noting that both the WRX and new Camry are far better cars than my own at this point, I would say that if you put the WRX and the Camry on, say, Leguna Seca, the Camry would get murdered.  I've never been a fan of brutal acceleration over crisp handling, but I think that the Camry and WRX are far different cars, and the WRX would make for a much moren enjoyable experience when the roads got twisty.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on March 26, 2007, 06:40:02 PM
No you don't, AWD drivetrain losses have to be more than 27 hp for sure...

Sorry my friend, but...

S204STi

Quote from: 565 on March 26, 2007, 07:35:36 PM

Cobalt SS's will put down more than their rated 205HP to the wheels.? They are extremely underrated.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12403/2007-chevrolet-cobalt-ss-supercharged.html

Cobalt SS
0-to-60-mph time: 6.1 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.6 sec @ 99 mph
Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 32.3 sec

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12406/2007-subaru-impreza-wrx.html

WRX
0-to-60-mph time: 5.6 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.3 sec @ 96 mph
Zero to 100 mph: 15.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 36.3 sec

And just for fun

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12404/2007-toyota-camry-v-6.html

Toyota Camry V6
Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec

Cars are getting fast these days.

Interesting, I didn't realize that the Cobalt was so underrated.

Also not surprised that the V6 camry is that fast, if they're anything like the Maxima/Altima they would certainly give a WRX a run for its money.

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on March 26, 2007, 08:48:59 PM
My bad then.
That's really good.

I lose 28hp through drivetrain losses, and 0.8 lbs/ft of torque.  Not to be a dyno-junky, just saying.

Raghavan

S204STi

Quote from: Raghavan on March 26, 2007, 08:59:33 PM
Man, a V6 Accord 6MT would kill a Camry V6. :praise:

Like 565 said, cars are beginning to catch up to the WRX.  Just 6 years ago nothing built for less than 35,000 could keep up with it, now there are quite a few that will.

the Teuton

That's why next week will be a great week, indeed, as the more powerful WRX will be making its permiere.

Raghavan

But it's not all about straightline speed. Chuck one of those in a corner and you'll go understeering off the road whereas the WRX will do a four wheel drift true to its rally roots. :praise:
Man, i'm really becoming a scooby troll.

the Teuton

S204STi

S204STi

Interesting, I figured it would be more of a torque-monster.

Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 09:16:42 PM
Interesting, I figured it would be more of a torque-monster.

Yeah I failed at pic posting... :banghead:

S204STi

Quote from: 565 on March 26, 2007, 09:23:11 PM
Yeah I failed at pic posting... :banghead:

That's ok, all you missed was the "/" in the trailing tag.

JYODER240

These meets are alot of fun. Its even better when you go on cruises. I cant wait or some more Z get togethers and drives this summer.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 26, 2007, 11:34:14 PM
These meets are alot of fun. Its even better when you go on cruises. I cant wait or some more Z get togethers and drives this summer.

That's it, I'm joining the Subaru Club back home.  I've been contemplating it for about a year now, and I'm finally going to do it.  Thanks.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on March 26, 2007, 11:42:45 PM
That's it, I'm joining the Subaru Club back home.? I've been contemplating it for about a year now, and I'm finally going to do it.? Thanks.

Not sure if your car will be ready but there's going to be some 350Z's running this road Memorial day weekend and you can tag along if you want.

http://www.caranddriver.com/bestroads/road69/ohio/ohio-26/
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

And Sean said he'd punch me through his computer if I bought a Cobalt SS Supercharged/Ion Redline.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8292.msg399025#msg399025 date=1174974702
And Sean said he'd punch me through his computer if I bought a Cobalt SS Supercharged/Ion Redline.

Personally, I couldn't stand the Ion, but I'd take a supercharged Cobalt... as long as I didn't have to pay for it.  :P
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 27, 2007, 12:08:56 AM
Personally, I couldn't stand the Ion, but I'd take a supercharged Cobalt... as long as I didn't have to pay for it.  :P

The Ion has that cool three door design and the shift knob out of the Saab 9-3!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Not with 200 supercharged horsepower...I put that much down at the wheels. 
WRX's are notoriously slow on the highway.  Just look at your quarter mile times and traps.

*edit* excellent someone posted the numbers for me! thanks 565