(Really Crappy) Pics of Subaru Red Rocks Meet...56k go pound sand!

Started by S204STi, March 25, 2007, 03:12:22 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8292.msg399031#msg399031 date=1174979611
The Ion has that cool three door design and the shift knob out of the Saab 9-3!

Oooooooooooooo.... ahhhhhhhhhh.......  :hammerhead:

Or maybe the Sabb 9-3 has an Ion shift knob!  :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: Champ on March 27, 2007, 07:24:04 AM
WRX's are notoriously slow on the highway.? Just look at your quarter mile times and traps.

*edit* excellent someone posted the numbers for me! thanks 565

The 06's larger engine largely does away with that.? My top-gear acceleration on the freeway is great, and if I really need to scoot a simple downshift will put me in go-straight-to-jail category in a hurry.? Maybe it is a matter of contrasts, because I am coming from a 130hp car... :lol:

Champ

Quote from: R-inge on March 28, 2007, 04:11:47 PM
The 06's larger engine largely does away with that.  My top-gear acceleration on the freeway is great, and if I really need to scoot a simple downshift will put me in go-straight-to-jail category in a hurry.  Maybe it is a matter of contrasts, because I am coming from a 130hp car... :lol:
No doubts it is an improvement, but it still won't keep up with the cobalt on the highway.  As mentioned earlier the quarter mile numbers prove that.  565 posted 2007 figures for both cars, taken from C&D.

S204STi

Quote from: Champ on March 28, 2007, 08:53:42 PM
No doubts it is an improvement, but it still won't keep up with the cobalt on the highway.? As mentioned earlier the quarter mile numbers prove that.? 565 posted 2007 figures for both cars, taken from C&D.

Quarter miles times measure standing starts, not acceleration at cruising speed where gearing and available torque play more of a role.  A 50-70mph time would be a better reflection of highway acceleration.

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on March 29, 2007, 09:49:20 PM
Quarter miles times measure standing starts, not acceleration at cruising speed where gearing and available torque play more of a role.? A 50-70mph time would be a better reflection of highway acceleration.

But check out the trap speed and how the Cobalt is quicker to speeds above 100mph.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 29, 2007, 10:10:32 PM
But check out the trap speed and how the Cobalt is quicker to speeds above 100mph.

Still a measurement from a standstill, not at cruising.  Personally i don't do a lot of stop and go on the freeway, (of course I also don't live in california lol).

Lookit, I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy, I am just saying that magazine racing doesn't give you the big picture.  I could give a sweet jesus how quick a cobalt SS is to 100mph, that's just not relevant to me, and I don't think it's the best measure of real world driving.  that's why some car mags have introduced the 30-50 etc top gear accel tests.

Champ

Quote from: R-inge on March 29, 2007, 09:49:20 PM
Quarter miles times measure standing starts, not acceleration at cruising speed where gearing and available torque play more of a role.  A 50-70mph time would be a better reflection of highway acceleration.
That doesn't matter.  If you look at the trap speeds in conjunction with the time, you notice the WRX is fast initially then loses all steam most likely post 60mph.  While the Cobalt has a hard time getting going but when it hooks up it screams.  You would still lose the 50-70 race because traction at that point is not an issue for the cobalt, which is why the WRX is faster in the slower speeds (duh)  :)

I know you don't care how fast the cobalt is to 100, but it notes that it is also fast from 50-70 where traction is not an issue.

The top gear acceleration tests to me were odd considering how many cars have different ratios and all.  Or you can't even perform the test in an automatic.

S204STi

I guess I am trying to say that comparing the Cobalt SS to the WRX and then saying that the WRX is "slow" on the highway is a bit absurd because anyone who wants meaningful acceleration can have it in any car with a downshift.

Champ

S204STi

Champ

I'm going to update that thread (in "the garage") once it stops raining (on our 5th day straight of rain, forcast puts us at this coming Thursday for our first peak at the sun, which will be like 9 days straight :( ).  So far my traction is better with the suspension and summer tires in the rain, than with snow tires on dry!  I REALLY need to push it hard in second gear to lose traction straight-line, which is pretty amazing in wet.  I can't wait for dry....  :D

pics will be coming once I can get outside also!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Champ on April 01, 2007, 12:36:42 PM
I'm going to update that thread (in "the garage") once it stops raining (on our 5th day straight of rain, forcast puts us at this coming Thursday for our first peak at the sun, which will be like 9 days straight :( ).? So far my traction is better with the suspension and summer tires in the rain, than with snow tires on dry!? I REALLY need to push it hard in second gear to lose traction straight-line, which is pretty amazing in wet.? I can't wait for dry....? :D

pics will be coming once I can get outside also!

Cool, it must have stiffer rear springs to keep that weight on the front.  :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Champ

Quote from: NACar on April 01, 2007, 05:38:50 PM
Cool, it must have stiffer rear springs to keep that weight on the front.  :ohyeah:
Yep check the pic in that thread, also included a beefier roll sway bar in back (22mm > 19mm)