Lexus LS460 voted world car of the year

Started by ifcar, April 05, 2007, 07:35:38 PM

SVT_Power

my it's hit 4:15 AM here and i'm still up. I hope i do not see any Lexus's in my dream :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

Quote from: M_power on April 08, 2007, 02:13:18 AM
my it's hit 4:15 AM here and i'm still up. I hope i do not see any Lexus's in my dream :lol:

You need to take sleeping pills. :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on April 07, 2007, 05:58:22 PM
Better traction yes, better overall no. There was a major debate on this between Mark (6er) and Tave.

Which thread was it in?  Speaking from my experiences, I'd much rather have a heavier car in snow.  My Ford Ranger had a huge improvement with 350-400 lbs. in the bed, and my Pontiac Bonneville was a freaking beast in the snow.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Don't bring it back up.  They were both wrong and they went on for pages.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: 850CSi on April 07, 2007, 05:57:44 PM
I was misinformed then. But why the hell can you disable TC on the LS and can't on the IS?

You can on the 07 models. I guess enough people complained.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 09, 2007, 01:28:18 PM
Yawwwwwwwwwn...

I'm sorry but outside of the AMG models, what car(s) from M-B is so exciting to drive? Aesthetically, I personally find just about every car in their lineup awkward, boring, or just flat out ugly. The C-Class is one of the weirdest looking cars I've ever seen, the E-Class is okay, and the new S-Class looks like arse. Their SUV's don't look any different from what else is on the road, and the only Benzes that stand out are probably their convertibles. I know some people on Lexus forums pissed you off but I don't see how you're being any different from they are, Wimmer.

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 09, 2007, 06:02:37 PM
I'm sorry but outside of the AMG models, what car(s) from M-B is so exciting to drive? Aesthetically, I personally find just about every car in their lineup awkward, boring, or just flat out ugly. The C-Class is one of the weirdest looking cars I've ever seen, the E-Class is okay, and the new S-Class looks like arse.

If you've ever driven an S-Klasse or any of the cars you just named, you know they're extremely capable dynamically.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: 850CSi on April 09, 2007, 06:05:50 PM
If you've ever driven an S-Klasse or any of the cars you just named, you know they're extremely capable dynamically.

A Honda Accord is extremely capable dynamically too but that doesn't mean it's an exciting drive.

JYODER240

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 09, 2007, 06:30:50 PM
A Honda Accord is extremely capable dynamically too but that doesn't mean it's an exciting drive.

Thats actually a really good point.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

I'm sorry but outside of the AMG models, what car(s) from M-B is so exciting to drive? Aesthetically, I personally find just about every car in their lineup awkward, boring, or just flat out ugly. The C-Class is one of the weirdest looking cars I've ever seen, the E-Class is okay, and the new S-Class looks like arse. Their SUV's don't look any different from what else is on the road, and the only Benzes that stand out are probably their convertibles. I know some people on Lexus forums pissed you off but I don't see how you're being any different from they are, Wimmer.

:clap:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

cawimmer430

I'm just playing.  :lol:

Lexus are fine cars, but they have no appeal to me and I'd never opt for one. There's more to luxury cars than starting out as rebadged Toyota and that's what bothers me the most. People think Lexus is on par with Mercedes and above BMW in terms of prestige and that's bull.

You might not find most Mercedes'  fun to drive, but there are some rather fun ones. Every try a torquey C220 CDI? Or a GL320 CDI? The R230 SL500 was probably the most fun car I've ever driven, even in SL350 form (3.7 V6). Most Lexus cars are too biased towards comfort. I like comfort, but I also like sport and the newer Mercedes' are a great fusion between these two ideals. They satisfy my needs and that's where I derive fun. The only Lexus with even remotely good dynamic qualities seems to be the IS. The rest are all boaty and floaty.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 10, 2007, 03:02:44 AM
I'm just playing.  :lol:

Lexus are fine cars, but they have no appeal to me and I'd never opt for one. There's more to luxury cars than starting out as rebadged Toyota and that's what bothers me the most. People think Lexus is on par with Mercedes and above BMW in terms of prestige and that's bull.

You might not find most Mercedes'  fun to drive, but there are some rather fun ones. Every try a torquey C220 CDI? Or a GL320 CDI? The R230 SL500 was probably the most fun car I've ever driven, even in SL350 form (3.7 V6). Most Lexus cars are too biased towards comfort. I like comfort, but I also like sport and the newer Mercedes' are a great fusion between these two ideals. They satisfy my needs and that's where I derive fun. The only Lexus with even remotely good dynamic qualities seems to be the IS. The rest are all boaty and floaty.  :ohyeah:

You may not think Lexus is on par with Mercedes and BMW in terms of prestige but others obviously do. If they didn't, why would they buy them? At least in the United States, Lexus models are typically cheaper than a comparable German marque, but someone with that kind of money to throw around undoubtedly does have the buying power to purchase something more expensive if they want to. If price was a concern they would most likely get something much cheaper, like a Focus or an Impala something. And that's great you find Benzes fun to drive but I don't. Driving excitement to me is Porsche, BMW, Mazda, or Subaru, not some overweight barge that I'm going to worry will leave me stranded on the side of the road every time I start up the car. If power is how you define "fun to drive", then you certainly can't fault Lexus as they have some great powertrains in their lineup.

With the exception of the ES and GX, which Lexus cars are rebadged Toyotas? LS? IS? GS? SC?

Actually the GS, while not exactly a 5-Series, is a pretty good driving car. The previous SC was good and the LF-A and IS-F will most likely be excellent as well. Lexus does need to add more sporty variants to their lineup, but a majority their vehicles are built around the passenger by and for those who want a quiet, luxurious ride every time they step in. In my view, nobody does that better in that segment. Those who complain about isolation in Lexus vehicles make about as much sense as those who complain that full size trucks are too heavy to go canyon carving in the mountains at 100 MPH.

Raza

A lot of people buy Lexus because they're cheaper, because they're less prestigious, and also, judging by a lot of people I know, because they refuse to buy a German car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 08, 2007, 02:02:26 AM
Every review here in Europe has complained about weak brakes and a pathetic load capacity (less than 400 kg). The load capacity is extremely pathetic. The standard LS460 can only carry four average sized adult but no luggage.

This here is the new C220CDI. Yes it's the automatic C220CDI. The all new C220CDI. :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 12:17:17 PM
A lot of people buy Lexus because they're cheaper, because they're less prestigious, and also, judging by a lot of people I know, because they refuse to buy a German car.

That doesn't make sense, if you're blowing 70 or 80 grand for a car, is 5-10 grand really going to make that big of a difference? That comes out to maybe 50 bucks more a month on the monthly payment.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:24:22 PM
That doesn't make sense, if you're blowing 70 or 80 grand for a car, is 5-10 grand really going to make that big of a difference? That comes out to maybe 50 bucks more a month on the monthly payment.

It makes a difference.  People aren't irresponsible with that kind of money.  Also in this market segment, Lexus is much softer, since BMW and Mercedes got into this stupid large sedan arms race, so people think "this car is just as comfortable and cheaper, why pay for the extra power?"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 12:27:51 PM
It makes a difference.  People aren't irresponsible with that kind of money.  Also in this market segment, Lexus is much softer, since BMW and Mercedes got into this stupid large sedan arms race, so people think "this car is just as comfortable and cheaper, why pay for the extra power?"

Spending the kind of money you can buy a small house with on a car isn't being irresponsible?

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:31:56 PM
Spending the kind of money you can buy a small house with on a car isn't being irresponsible?

Where can you buy a house for 70 grand?

And no, it's not irresponsible.  Buying a car that costs as much as a house when you don't have a house, now that's irresponsible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 12:34:55 PM
Where can you buy a house for 70 grand?

And no, it's not irresponsible.  Buying a car that costs as much as a house when you don't have a house, now that's irresponsible.

You can in Omaha, albeit not a very good one, but it will hold it's value far better than a 7-Series or an LS if purchased today.

Luxury cars are not responsible purchases. Do you really think an S-Class is worth 40 grand more than an optioned out Impala or Crown Victoria?

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:47:47 PM
You can in Omaha, albeit not a very good one, but it will hold it's value far better than a 7-Series or an LS if purchased today.

Luxury cars are not responsible purchases. Do you really think an S-Class is worth 40 grand more than an optioned out Impala or Crown Victoria?

Yes!

I don't want to go into this huge thing about luxury cars, but the point is, if you can afford it and you're not hurting anyone, then it's responsible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2007, 12:49:24 PM
Yes!

I don't want to go into this huge thing about luxury cars, but the point is, if you can afford it and you're not hurting anyone, then it's responsible.

This whole thing goes back to your comment that people aren't irresponsible with their money. If that was the case, I'd really like to know how a person who comfortably buys a 70 thousand dollar car would do so on the basis that it was cheaper than a comparable car that was 75 or 80 thousand.

Raza

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:52:25 PM
This whole thing goes back to your comment that people aren't irresponsible with their money. If that was the case, I'd really like to know how a person who comfortably buys a 70 thousand dollar car would do so on the basis that it was cheaper than a comparable car that was 75 or 80 thousand.

Oh god, it's same argument over and over.

There's a difference between price and value. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 10, 2007, 12:12:54 PM
not some overweight barge that I'm going to worry will leave me stranded on the side of the road every time I start up the car.

:rolleyes:

ro51092

Steve, if they're driving a 7er or an S-Klasse, chances are that they have an expensive house. What's the point of buying a home in Omaha, when they want a luxury car? Sorry, but it's a bullshit argument.

Tave

Steve, I agree with you. When you're spending that much money on a car, the money is going to waste.

And that's okay. Money isn't everything in this world, and if people want to spend a lot of it on expensive cars, then more power to them. I'd have at least one amazing vehicle if I were really well off.

But you can't argue that that a couple grand makes any sort of difference by that point. The people that buy these machines are spending more than that on options packages.

Seriously, do you guys really think that someone spending 80K on a car is going to turn to his wife and say:

"Holy shit honey, I just found a LS460 in another town for $3,224.65 less than we're going to be paying for our 7-series. We'd better go make this deal and save some money!"

850CSi

LS starts at $61K. S550 starts at $86K. 750i starts at $76K.

Some people buy them because they're foolish enough to believe that they're going to be substantially more reliable than a German car.

If you like cars that are boats on the road, there is nothing better than an LS. It's quick in a straight line, smooth, comfortable, and built very well. But there's a reason why most enthusiasts wouldn't be caught dead in one.

HurricaneSteve

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2007, 04:32:31 PM
Steve, I agree with you. When you're spending that much money on a car, the money is going to waste.

And that's okay. Money isn't everything in this world, and if people want to spend a lot of it on expensive cars, then more power to them. I'd have at least one amazing vehicle if I were really well off.

But you can't argue that that a couple grand makes any sort of difference by that point. The people that buy these machines are spending more than that on options packages.

Seriously, do you guys really think that someone spending 80K on a car is going to turn to his wife and say:

"Holy shit honey, I just found a LS460 in another town for $3,224.65 less than we're going to be paying for our 7-series. We'd better go make this deal and save some money!"

That's my point! When it comes to this price range, the gap in "prestige" isn't as great as some would like to believe.