Lexus LS460 voted world car of the year

Started by ifcar, April 05, 2007, 07:35:38 PM

ifcar

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_and_Concept_Cars/New_York_Auto_Show/Lexus_LS460_Is_World_Car_of_the_Year.S293.A12181.html

Lexus has captured top honors in the third annual World Car of the Year balloting. The LS460 was picked by a panel of 45 journalist-jurors from around the world who had 28 different models to consider, ranging from Asian small cars to European sports sedans.

"Our intention, internally, was to develop the most innovative, luxurious car we could produce," said Bob Carter, U.S. general manager of the Lexus division, as he accepted the World Car of the Year trophy.

The international event, held at this year's New York Auto Show, reflects changing global realities, declared organizer and journalist Peter Lyon. "The concept of national borders is almost non-existent," he said, adding that such as award was "inevitable."

Along with the world car-of-the-year award, three other trophies were handed out. In the increasingly competitive World Green Car category, Mercedes-Benz's new E320 Bluetec diesel car claimed top honors, besting the BMW Hydrogen7 and Volkswagen's Polo BlueMotion diesel. Mercedes officials were clearly pleased and can be expected to heavily promote the award in their push to rebuild the U.S. market for diesels.

Audi took top honors in two other categories. The recently-redesigned TT was named World Car Design of the Year, out-polling both the Citroen C4 Picasso and Fiat Grande Punto. "The previous car was an icon," said Johan de Nysschen, head of Audi operations in the U.S., which made it extremely challenging to come up with a successor, but he declared the new model, both "true" to the original, while being both "bold and modern."

Meanwhile, Audi's compact muscle car, the RS4, was named World Performance Car, besting some stiff competitors, the BMW 335i and Porsche's newly-redesigned 911 Turbo.

thewizard16

Interesting. Where do they tell you how they pick the winners? At any rate, it's an impressive machine, I just don't think it's a very appealing car to the enthusiast crowd. I'm glad to see the Blutec win the Green car category though, maybe that will help put diesel into the minds of more luxury car buyers.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

850CSi

Submariner

:huh:

There are far more worthy cars than the LS-460.  It's a floaty luxury saloon with a lot of electronics.  I see nothing special about it. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ro51092

sandertheshark

Quote from: 850CSi on April 05, 2007, 08:30:24 PM
So, what's so special about it?
It can parallel park itself and... well, that's about it really.

sandertheshark

Quote from: ro51092 on April 05, 2007, 09:20:21 PM
I hate that car with a passion.
I wouldn't be found shot behind the wheel of one, but I don't hate it.  It's the perfect car for its market.  I wouldn't want to see my grandmother driving anything else.

goldenlover1101

My girlfriend would probably be able to parallel park this thing...but other than that I would never own this car. Its perfectly fine for its market, but there are many, many, MANY care better deserving of this award.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

sandertheshark

Quote from: ifcar on April 05, 2007, 07:35:38 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_and_Concept_Cars/New_York_Auto_Show/Lexus_LS460_Is_World_Car_of_the_Year.S293.A12181.html
The LS460 was picked by a panel of 45 journalist-jurors from around the world who had 28 different models to consider...

Audi took top honors in two other categories. The recently-redesigned TT was named World Car Design of the Year...

Meanwhile, Audi's compact muscle car, the RS4, was named World Performance Car, besting some stiff competitors, the BMW 335i and Porsche's newly-redesigned 911 Turbo.

These guys have a thing for fat pigs.  :huh:

JYODER240

The LS does a great job at doing what designed to do. Great interior, tomb-like quite, refined, high-tech, relieble, and gets you from A to B in a ton of comfort.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

thewizard16

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 05, 2007, 09:41:09 PM
The LS does a great job at doing what designed to do. Great interior, tomb-like quite, refined, high-tech, relieble, and gets you from A to B in a ton of comfort.
Precisely. As far as the luxury side of being a luxury car (people seem to think that luxury cars must also be crisp handling sports sedans, which they never were, until recently) the Lexus fits the bill extremely well. It does luxury well, it does quality well, and it's high tech, it just isn't fun to drive or particularly attractive.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

JYODER240

Quote from: thewizard16 on April 05, 2007, 10:06:52 PM
Precisely. As far as the luxury side of being a luxury car (people seem to think that luxury cars must also be crisp handling sports sedans, which they never were, until recently) the Lexus fits the bill extremely well. It does luxury well, it does quality well, and it's high tech, it just isn't fun to drive or particularly attractive.

Yep, its one of the best cars out there for the passenger.

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 05, 2007, 09:41:09 PM

Agreed.

That said, why the hell does that make it "World Car of the Year"? The title implies that the vehicle must do something exceptionally well or feature a special technology, but quite frankly the LS is the same car as its predecessor - with the exception of the insanely expensive "parallel parking" gimmick (I believe that people who can't parallel park shouldn't be driving in the first place).

The Bluetec or the Hydrogen 7 are far more deserving of this award.

Raghavan

850CSi

Quote from: thewizard16 on April 05, 2007, 10:06:52 PM
(people seem to think that luxury cars must also be crisp handling sports sedans, which they never were, until recently)

Mercedes built enormous barges in the '60s and '70s that were far more dynamically capable than today's LS. No one's complaining because it doesn't drive like a sports car, people don't like it because it's about as dynamically capable as a cow.

the Teuton

Quote from: 850CSi on April 05, 2007, 11:30:32 PM
Agreed.

That said, why the hell does that make it "World Car of the Year"? The title implies that the vehicle must do something exceptionally well or feature a special technology, but quite frankly the LS is the same car as its predecessor - with the exception of the insanely expensive "parallel parking" gimmick (I believe that people who can't parallel park shouldn't be driving in the first place).

The Bluetec or the Hydrogen 7 are far more deserving of this award.

My friend did a report on that technology for one of his classes.  To make you feel better, that $17,000 parallel parking system costs about $2,000 in the JDM Prius, the first car to have it.  Do you know what that's called?  Profit whoring an ignorant public.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on April 05, 2007, 11:53:19 PM
My friend did a report on that technology for one of his classes. To make you feel better, that $17,000 parallel parking system costs about $2,000 in the JDM Prius, the first car to have it. Do you know what that's called? Profit whoring an ignorant public.

LMAO.

The LS is alright. I still think they should have went with a V12 over that silly hybrid system.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on April 05, 2007, 11:53:19 PM
My friend did a report on that technology for one of his classes.  To make you feel better, that $17,000 parallel parking system costs about $2,000 in the JDM Prius, the first car to have it.  Do you know what that's called?  Profit whoring an ignorant public.

Uh... no. The JDM Prius does NOT parallel park itself. Link?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

heelntoe

yes it does.
here
@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on April 06, 2007, 07:31:27 AM
Uh... no. The JDM Prius does NOT parallel park itself. Link?

Yeah, it came out a year before the LS460.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

I really like the LS of yore, and the new one isn't bad either.  Not something I would buy for myself, but it's certainly a worthy car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

Quote from: 850CSi on April 05, 2007, 11:33:12 PM
Mercedes built enormous barges in the '60s and '70s that were far more dynamically capable than today's LS. No one's complaining because it doesn't drive like a sports car, people don't like it because it's about as dynamically capable as a cow.

Oh, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but there's nothing an LS does better than the current S-Klasse (whether its ride quality, smoothness, etc.). For the price, yes, but overall the MB is a better car. And it's dynamically capable without being a "sports car". Come to think of it, how do people drive these things on a snowy day? RWD, a lot of power, the traction control isn't defeatable, and you don't feel anything through the steering wheel.  :huh:

JYODER240

Quote from: 850CSi on April 07, 2007, 01:17:58 AM
Oh, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but there's nothing an LS does better than the current S-Klasse (whether its ride quality, smoothness, etc.). For the price, yes, but overall the MB is a better car. And it's dynamically capable without being a "sports car". Come to think of it, how do people drive these things on a snowy day? RWD, a lot of power, the traction control isn't defeatable, and you don't feel anything through the steering wheel.? :huh:

You can disable traction control on the LS.

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on April 07, 2007, 01:17:58 AM
Oh, and I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but there's nothing an LS does better than the current S-Klasse (whether its ride quality, smoothness, etc.). For the price, yes, but overall the MB is a better car. And it's dynamically capable without being a "sports car". Come to think of it, how do people drive these things on a snowy day? RWD, a lot of power, the traction control isn't defeatable, and you don't feel anything through the steering wheel.  :huh:

Plus all of those cars are pretty heavy, with a decent weight distribution; which is going to translate into more traction.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 07, 2007, 09:21:32 AM
You can disable traction control on the LS.

I was misinformed then. But why the hell can you disable TC on the LS and can't on the IS?

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on April 07, 2007, 09:23:47 AM

Plus all of those cars are pretty heavy, with a decent weight distribution; which is going to translate into more traction.

Better traction yes, better overall no. There was a major debate on this between Mark (6er) and Tave.

cawimmer430

Why do these journalists have a thing for overrated Toyota's with leather? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Seriously, the LS is a good car, but it has too many faults to be considered perfect. Every review here in Europe has complained about weak brakes and a pathetic load capacity (less than 400 kg). The load capacity is extremely pathetic. The standard LS460 can only carry four average sized adult but no luggage. It will be worse on the hybrid LS since the batteries and hybrid system add a lot of weight. But hey, it's got self-parking! 90 year old senile men who eat their dinner through a straw love this kind of stuff.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

cawimmer430

Quote from: M_power on April 08, 2007, 02:08:32 AM
good evening mr. wimmer

Back from Italy. Saw no Lexus there!!! Hell yeah! :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna