1996 Impala SS vs. 2003 Mercury Marauder

Started by SVT666, April 24, 2007, 09:21:04 AM

Which you buy on the used market?

15 (48.4%)
16 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

sportyaccordy

The Impala was available with a 6-speed manual tranny... it had the drivetrain from the same year base Corvette :ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 24, 2007, 03:47:44 PM
The Impala was available with a 6-speed manual tranny... it had the drivetrain from the same year base Corvette :ohyeah:
Sorry, but I can find no evidence of that.  All the sources I checked list the 4 spped auto as the only tranny available.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 03:41:55 PM
oh I know...I just checked autotrader, and the Marauders and Imp's in my area cost that much in American dollars :( (whereas I found an 06 Charger R/T with 20k miles for $25k USD)
I should've mentioned that in my previous post

20K miles in one year!?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8764.msg427803#msg427803 date=1177452162
20K miles in one year!?

Is that low? I don't get it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8764.msg427803#msg427803 date=1177452162
20K miles in one year!?

aren't you going to be putting nearly 30k a year on your next car?

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 24, 2007, 04:18:17 PM
aren't you going to be putting nearly 30k a year on your next car?

Yeah, I am.  But I'm not going to say that that's not a lot.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I think I'd rather have a '95 Impala SS. OBDI electronics >OBDII electronics.

macchina

Tough choice for me, but I went with the Mercury.? I have some affinity for the brand because I learned to drive on one.? ?My thoughts and opinions are ever changing though.   :tounge:
- Danilo,
Alfa Romeo Enthusiast Extraordinaire (Troll)
[/font]?
:evildude:

sandertheshark

1996 Impala SS - guilty pleasure of car enthusiasts everywhere.

J86

sandertheshark

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 24, 2007, 03:47:44 PM
Rear-mounted transaxle and everything? I don't think so.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 03:52:25 PM
Sorry, but I can find no evidence of that.  All the sources I checked list the 4 spped auto as the only tranny available.

My mistake, there was a popular conversion kit.

Raghavan

K, i want a marauder too, if a mustang transmission will fit in it.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 24, 2007, 06:10:55 PM
My mistake, there was a popular conversion kit.

The Camaro engine, however, had a front-mounted transmission and could easily slip into an Impala.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FlatBlackCaddy

i never saw the appeal of these cars(the impala moreso), sure it came with a great motor. Other than that it was mildly attractive(in black only) and downright absurd in the interior department. As a cheap used car i guess it would be ok, but i see people selling these things for more than i paid for my Z... :confused:.

Its a impala with a good motor.

If i had to choose between the two i'd take a marauder, if it was given to me.

Otherwise i'd go for the v-8 rwd luxury car that suffers from horrible depreciation and is much much better than either of these cars.

An 02 and newer Infiniti Q45 goes for a few grand more than a similar year MAXIMA....its crazy. Anyway for the price you can't beat it, more power, better looks(subjective but it looks bigger and more classy, plus the headlights are awesome) and a shit load more luxury. Its also probobly about as reliable as either of these cars even though it is in a higher luxury class.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 24, 2007, 06:20:57 PM
i never saw the appeal of these cars(the impala moreso), sure it came with a great motor. Other than that it was mildly attractive(in black only) and downright absurd in the interior department. As a cheap used car i guess it would be ok, but i see people selling these things for more than i paid for my Z... :confused:.

Otherwise i'd go for the v-8 rwd luxury car that suffers from horrible depreciation and is much much better than either of these cars.

An 02 and newer Infiniti Q45 goes for a few grand more than a similar year MAXIMA....its crazy. Anyway for the price you can't beat it, more power, better looks(subjective but it looks bigger and more classy, plus the headlights are awesome) and a shit load more luxury. Its also probobly about as reliable as either of these cars even though it is in a higher luxury class.

:nono:

S204STi

The 01-04 Maximas are pretty hot.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 04:05:49 PM
Is that low? I don't get it.

My 3-year old car has 150,000km on it. That's 90,000mi.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8764.msg428312#msg428312 date=1177467294
High.?

Seems normal to me.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: NACar on April 24, 2007, 08:15:30 PM
Seems normal to me.

Well, of my 3 leases, 12K miles was the highest allowance. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on April 24, 2007, 08:25:55 PM
Well, of my 3 leases, 12K miles was the highest allowance. 

Hence why I don't lease.  I'm averaging about 27-29K miles per year.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on April 24, 2007, 08:43:53 PM
Hence why I don't lease.  I'm averaging about 27-29K miles per year.

And that's why I'm not leasing my next car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ChrisV

Sorry, but F the Q. :lol: This is the appeal of a car like the Impala SS: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YcyCKVmMBHk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rDXI5tEj8fE

And it was more than just an Impala with a good motor, it also had vastly better suspension and brakes than your garden variety Impala; strong and durable like the police package cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FordSVT

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 24, 2007, 12:02:54 PM
The Impala is not available with a stick and the Marauder is not supercharged.? The Marauder has a 302 hp 4.6L DOHC powerplant that is naturally aspirated.? They both come with 4 speed autos as the only tranny of choice.

Quite honestly, I think I was high when I posted that. I have no idea why I thought the Merc was supercharged, for some reason I had this story in my head that everyone was pissed about the low output of a supercharged

I could have SWORN I've seen a 6 speed Impala though, in a magazine test or something. Was there ever a special factory edition that didn't come with the 4L60E? Maybe it was a tuner car I'm thinking of.
-FordSVT-

SVT666

Quote from: FordSVT on April 25, 2007, 07:10:21 AM
Quite honestly, I think I was high when I posted that. I have no idea why I thought the Merc was supercharged, for some reason I had this story in my head that everyone was pissed about the low output of a supercharged

I could have SWORN I've seen a 6 speed Impala though, in a magazine test or something. Was there ever a special factory edition that didn't come with the 4L60E? Maybe it was a tuner car I'm thinking of.
-FordSVT-
It's an aftermarket swap kit.  You can swap a Mustang 5 speed or a Cobra 6 speed in the Marauder too, although the 6 speed may require tunnel mods to fit.

sparkplug

I do know that the 4.6 is upgradeable. You can increase cubic inches in it, swap the heads, cams out. But really if you want something big, fast, and rear wheel drive, you can new Charger with a Hemi. Hey, it'll fly.

omicron