***Preview: My Sister's Possibly Soon-To-Be BMW 118i***

Started by cawimmer430, April 27, 2007, 02:26:45 PM

cawimmer430

Well, we finally decided on a BMW 1-Series for my sister. My sister thinks the 1-Series looks good and so does my dad and recently, I've come to appreciate the design. We've eliminated the Volkswagen Golf, Opel Astra, Alfa Romeo 147 and the C203 Mercedes C-Class Sportcoupe (her second choice).

We saw this 120d in the showroom. It had the M Sportpackage among others and both my dad and me loved the white color, very classy. The color and the sports package made such a great impression on us that we are going to order it exactly like the car below but we might exclude the M body kit (the rims are included in the Advantage Package), we're still thinking about it. I want to keep the M body kit, my dad is undecided and my sister doesn't care!

We've settled for a 118i (the new 118i, a 2-l engine) that has an excellent blend of power and fuel economy (under 5 liters / 100 km in rural driving!!!!). We also considered the 116i but that car is somewhat outdated and the 118d was a nice choice but the diesel tax will kill us if my sister doesn't drive 15,000 km a year. Here's the extra's we're ordering:

-Automatic transmission
-Heated Seats (front)
-Advantage Package (Fog lights, Bi-Xenon lights, interior lights etc.)
-Comfort Package (Airconditioning etc.)
-Car colored door handles
-Aluminum interior trim
-"Anthrazit" colored (black) cloth seats

All in all, the price comes to 25,000 Euros+. The BMW salesman in Munich is offering a 15% discount since we're "coming from Mercedes-Benz to a BMW" (we're not selling any of our three Benzes though). Some luxury dealerships in Germany offer this tactic to increase sales. We're possibly going to buy a navigation system from a local supermarket, ALDI, which has an excellent 250 Euro Medion navigation system (BMW wants over 2,000 Euros for theirs...). I'm also surprised that airconditioning is not standard in the BMW 1-Series.

Well, this is what the car will look like. Same color, same rims, same body kit (unless my dad decides to change it). Hot huh?

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Pretty cool.  I like the 1 series.  But I have three questions:

Why did she eliminate the Golf?
Did she consider a Megane or Clio?
Why did she opt for an automatic?  I thought all you Europeans drove stick.

So, the 118i automatic goes from 0-62 in 9.3 seconds, which gets you about 9 seconds to 60.  That's not bad for a small car.  143bhp, too, if I'm reading this page right.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2007, 02:29:04 PM
Pretty cool.  I like the 1 series.  But I have three questions:

Why did she eliminate the Golf?
Did she consider a Megane or Clio?
Why did she opt for an automatic?  I thought all you Europeans drove stick.

1) The Golf we were considering was a 1.6 102-horsepower 5-door in black with nice rims. It was being offered by the local VW dealership at 21,500 Euros with the only add ons being airconditioning and the nice light alloy rims. The BMW 118i as we put it together was a much better deal from the beginning (more power, more fuel efficient). Plus, the local VW dealership wouldn't offer discounts, BMW did. We have not ordered the 1er yet, but it will probably be this coming or the following week.

2) My dad didn't want a foreign car, he wanted a used German car from the beginning. My sister also had her sights on the BMW 1er, Opel Astra GTC Coupe, MINI, Mercedes C-Class Sportcoupe and the VW Golf as you know. The MINI was too small, overpriced (even second hand) and not as fuel efficient. The Opel Astra GTZ would have been nice, but in the end we put it off the list for no real reason. The Mercedes C-Class Sportcoupe was also a serious contender, but like the Astra, we cut it off the list because the ones in our area all had over 95,000 km on the odometer and no heated seats. We originally wanted to buy a used BMW 1-Series, but the two BMW dealerships we checked out in Munich had only poorly spec'd BMW 1-Series. Most of them had no A/C, no automatic tranny, no heated seats etc. In the end, buying a new car , with the discount BMW is promising, was a really good deal. In fact, the 118i which we may buy for my sister is still cheaper than some of the used BMW 1-Series on their lot!  :mask:

3) My sister wouldn't mind stick, but she pressed for the automatic for reasons of convenience. I actually was pressuring her into letting the standard transmission be in the car (BMW charges over 2,000+ Euros for their A/T) but she was adament about the A/T.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

Beautiful looking car and a great choice.  It's exactly what I'd buy if I was in that market, only in a manual.  The white paint looks great - the only problem will be keeping it clean!  But that's a small sacrifice!

This is one car where I think getting the bodykit package is essential.  It really does increase the road presence of the car dramatically.  The rims are also a good option.

Raza, the Megane is considered pretty off the pace in the small family car market, in terms of handling, quality and holding its value.  Not saying they're the reasons why it wasn't considered, but still...  And the Clio is significantly smaller.

OT, I have an ALDI around the corner from me.  I can't believe they charge extra for carrier bags!

Raza

The R26 is pretty badass, though, Nick.  I don't know about the baser models.

Wims--

I would hate to pay that kind of premium for a transmission that makes the car slower and less fuel efficient.  2000 Euros is ridiculous. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 27, 2007, 02:43:45 PM
Beautiful looking car and a great choice.  It's exactly what I'd buy if I was in that market, only in a manual.  The white paint looks great - the only problem will be keeping it clean!  But that's a small sacrifice!

This is one car where I think getting the bodykit package is essential.  It really does increase the road presence of the car dramatically.  The rims are also a good option.

Raza, the Megane is considered pretty off the pace in the small family car market, in terms of handling, quality and holding its value.  Not saying they're the reasons why it wasn't considered, but still...  And the Clio is significantly smaller.

OT, I have an ALDI around the corner from me.  I can't believe they charge extra for carrier bags!

I think the body kit adds a nice touch to the BMW 1-Series. Gives it more sportier character. I too would have loved to have a manual in the car, but it's for my sister and she has the say. I did pick the color! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2007, 02:47:59 PM
The R26 is pretty badass, though, Nick.  I don't know about the baser models.

Wims--

I would hate to pay that kind of premium for a transmission that makes the car slower and less fuel efficient.  2000 Euros is ridiculous. 

It's not slower by that much, and the fuel consumption increases roughly by 0.4 liters. Acceptable, especially considering the 118i is capable of a phenomenal 4.9 L / 100 km (47.9 mpg) in rural driving (the 118d get's 4.1 L / 100 km in rural driving!!!!!). Screw the Toyota Prius! :lol:

Trust me, if this car was for me, I wouldn't consider an automatic. On most Mercedes' yes, but not on most BMW's.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Yeah, but if you think about it, you're spending 2000 Euros so you can spend more money over your ownership period, and the car is slower to boot. 

All I'm saying is that I would make her a tape with subliminal messages influencing her to get a stick.  That's all, nothing drastic.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

The Claudia Club is going to see a drop in membership upon hearing this decision.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on April 27, 2007, 02:56:56 PM
Yeah, but if you think about it, you're spending 2000 Euros so you can spend more money over your ownership period, and the car is slower to boot. 

All I'm saying is that I would make her a tape with subliminal messages influencing her to get a stick.  That's all, nothing drastic.

I hear you, but the automatic also increases the resale value believe it or not, especially on a well-spec'd BMW like this one. Plus, my sister can drive stick, but she also doesn't really care. She's not a car enthusiast like us. :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on April 27, 2007, 02:59:58 PM
The Claudia Club is going to see a drop in membership upon hearing this decision.

They should be happy. She has her hands free for, uh, other things... 
:devil: :devil: :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

the Teuton

While a BMW should be manual, the 1er is still a very cool car any way you put it.  It's probably one of my favorite BMWs sold right now.  :wub:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cawimmer430

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2007, 03:10:56 PM
While a BMW should be manual, the 1er is still a very cool car any way you put it.  It's probably one of my favorite BMWs sold right now.  :wub:

Same here, and the new 335d and 335i Coupe / Cabrio.  :wub:

I was not impressed with the BMW 3-Series sedan from an interior POV when I checked it out in detail. Wow, that place is plastic heaven, and CHEAP PLASTIC heaven at that. The passenger side glove compartment felt like it would break in my hands and much of the interior felt hollow and simply cheap. Very dissapointing. I think the last generation BMW 3er had a very nice interior quality wise, this just feels cheap as sin.

The 1-Series on the other hand has a very nice interior. It feels solid and well crafted and the plastics feel much more HQ than the stuff found in the 3-Series. IMHO, no bias intended, the new C-Class interior totally kills the BMW 3er interior quality wise.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

I tried to get my older sister to get a stick in the TSX when my dad was buying it for her, but she refused and the Acura salesman convinced her to get the auto (:banghead:), so she got the auto. I am suffering now as a result.

Well, not suffering, just not reaping the benefits of a stick :P

Colonel Cadillac

So Wims, how do you feel, you're having your favorite manufacturer's nemesis parked in your driveway?

thewizard16

Quote from: 93JC on April 27, 2007, 03:32:00 PM
Wei? :nono:
It looks okay in white. It'd look sharper in most colors, but it's not unattractive. I've seen a few cars white looks good on. Not many though, black is my favorite car color.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

heelntoe

alabaster white e-class. that looks pretty nice, but it's very common around here.
@heelntoe

93JC

Quote from: thewizard16 on April 27, 2007, 03:46:38 PM
It looks okay in white. It'd look sharper in most colors, but it's not unattractive. I've seen a few cars white looks good on. Not many though, black is my favorite car color.

:nono:

White is for rental cars and taxis.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on April 27, 2007, 04:01:47 PM

All BMW's are taxis.
There's a reason Infinitis don't come in white.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on April 27, 2007, 04:01:47 PM

not in germany. they have a sort of pale yellow.
@heelntoe

93JC

Quote from: heelntoe on April 27, 2007, 04:04:06 PM
not in germany. they have a sort of pale yellow.

I've told Wimmer before that it's not 'taxi yellow', it's BEIGE, and it's atrocious.

:lol:

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

This is Taxigelb, right?  :lol:  Because there's no such thing as a white Infiniti...

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 27, 2007, 04:23:01 PM
This is Taxigelb, right?? :lol:? Because there's no such thing as a white Infiniti...

Obviously some people with no taste resprayed it.   :P