Dos Test Drives... 350Z & MX-5

Started by 850CSi, May 07, 2007, 04:34:34 PM

Raghavan

Quote from: heelntoe on May 09, 2007, 12:12:28 PM
actually, you have to be below a certain speed to be able to shift into reverse.
Yeah, there's a reverse lockout that locks the gate so you can't even get into reverse.

BMWDave

Quote from: heelntoe on May 09, 2007, 12:12:28 PM
actually, you have to be below a certain speed to be able to shift into reverse.

That's true as well.  In the Miata 5spd, you also cannot shift into first above a certain speed, and the same goes for all the other gears. 

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Eye of the Tiger

If the Esteem is not completely stopped, reverse grinds, because like most vehicles, it's not synchonized. So perhaps a lockout is a good thing, unless you're trying to do a forward 180.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

heelntoe

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 01:48:02 PM
That's true as well.  In the Miata 5spd, you also cannot shift into first above a certain speed, and the same goes for all the other gears. 
that's new to me.
@heelntoe

BMWDave

Quote from: heelntoe on May 09, 2007, 01:59:18 PM
that's new to me.

I think I read that in the manual.  I can't be completely sure though, because now that I think of it, it may have been referring to the autostick in the Miata auto.  I'll have to look again.

2007 Honda S2000

heelntoe

Quote from: NACar on May 09, 2007, 01:58:19 PM
If the Esteem is not completely stopped, reverse grinds, because like most vehicles, it's not synchonized. So perhaps a lockout is a good thing, unless you're trying to do a forward 180.
well, reverse engages if you're already going backwards.
@heelntoe

Laconian

Quote from: NACar on May 09, 2007, 01:58:19 PM

I heard reverse grinds because the reverse gear is straight-cut.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

heelntoe

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 02:00:23 PM
I think I read that in the manual.  I can't be completely sure though, because now that I think of it, it may have been referring to the autostick in the Miata auto.  I'll have to look again.
that makes more sense. i can't see why a manual trans will have a lock-out on forward gears.
@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 09, 2007, 01:17:37 PM
An Elise has a lot of room upfront. There isn't anything in front of the driver except space. Look at the footwells sometime, they're enormous for how big the car is.

Same thing with a 911. It has more legroom than a full size truck.

Have you been in an Elise? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 01:48:02 PM

Not to mention that many cars have push/pull lockouts.  BMWs and Porsches are the only ones that come to mind that don't have that (I think the GTO didn't have it either).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2007, 02:37:40 PM
Not to mention that many cars have push/pull lockouts.  BMWs and Porsches are the only ones that come to mind that don't have that (I think the GTO didn't have it either).
a lot of cheaper cars(like mine) don't have them either.
@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: heelntoe on May 09, 2007, 02:39:30 PM
a lot of cheaper cars(like mine) don't have them either.

BMWs and Porsches require a lot of force.  Does yours slide in with the same ease as a forward gear?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2007, 02:56:43 PM
BMWs and Porsches require a lot of force.  Does yours slide in with the same ease as a forward gear?
nope, you wrestle it into reverse. :lol:
i also noticed that reverse is more to the right of neutral than 5th.
@heelntoe

Champ

Quote from: Raza on May 09, 2007, 02:37:40 PM
Not to mention that many cars have push/pull lockouts. BMWs and Porsches are the only ones that come to mind that don't have that (I think the GTO didn't have it either).
Lincoln LS does not have this, nor the S2000.

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on May 09, 2007, 12:47:16 PM
Says the owner of an Elise. How the heck do you fit in that thing if a MX-5 isn't big enough for you?

Well, with the Elise, I'm basically sitting right on the Chasis.  There's not enough room between the floor and the seat for me to get my hand into there if I ever lose a coin down there.  It's not that the MX5 isn't big enough.. it's just that I'm sitting too high up in the seat if I want to sit properly.. and then I can't see out of the car.   But then again, I had limited time to adjust the seat.  But either way.. still a great car.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8994.msg443942#msg443942 date=1178742790
Have you been in an Elise??

I've drooled over one for a good hour and examined it from every possible angle. The dealership was closed, so I couldn't get in, but I could clearly see how much space was underneath the dash.

I bet your Boxster has quite a bit of legroom too. How does it feel?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 09, 2007, 03:31:41 PM
I've drooled over one for a good hour and examined it from every possible angle. The dealership was closed, so I couldn't get in, but I could clearly see how much space was underneath the dash.

I bet your Boxster has quite a bit of legroom too. How does it feel?

It has more legroom than an Elise.  The Elise, though, is not a roomy car.  I think I was driving it one click forward from all the way back, and I'm only 5'8". 

Although I misread your post.  When you said footwell, I immediately thought of my toes catching the top of the footwell as I moved my legs from pedal to pedal while driving.  The Elise, though is not uncomfortable my any means.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8994.msg442700#msg442700 date=1178663966
Quieter than the E320 and Passat at WOT.

Then that was either a suspicously quiet 350Z or freakishly loud E320. I've been in a E320(previous gen) more than once at WOT (my sisters fiance has one) and there's no way its louder than my Z.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 09, 2007, 05:00:26 PM
Then that was either a suspicously quiet 350Z or freakishly loud E320. I've been in a E320(previous gen) more than once at WOT (my sisters fiance has one) and there's no way its louder than my Z.

I've driven three Zs.  It's indicative of their sound level.  My E320 was louder than my brother's. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Champ on May 09, 2007, 03:07:53 PM
Lincoln LS does not have this, nor the S2000.

Manual Transmission Lincoln LS??

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on May 09, 2007, 05:25:23 PM
Manual Transmission Lincoln LS??

V6.

His family is cool.  S60R, S2000, Viggen, LS.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8994.msg444226#msg444226 date=1178753220
V6.

His family is cool.? S60R, S2000, Viggen, LS.

Someone I know also has a Lincoln LS V6 with a manual.  They're really rare, from what I know, and actually they are faster than the V8 auto, I think.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quote from: heelntoe on May 09, 2007, 03:03:19 PM
nope, you wrestle it into reverse. :lol:
i also noticed that reverse is more to the right of neutral than 5th.
I"ve noticed that on pretty much all the cars, maybe that's to stop you from thinking your car has a 6th gear (if it's a 5 speed).
And on the Civic i drove, unless you're going about less than 5 mph, 1st is really hard to get into. It's possible, but it doesn't want to go in.

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2007, 05:10:02 PM
I've driven three Zs.  It's indicative of their sound level.  My E320 was louder than my brother's. 

You guys had one E320 each? Your family was friggen loaded bro.

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on May 09, 2007, 09:53:57 PM
You guys had one E320 each? Your family was friggen loaded bro.

Was?
:devil: :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 08:45:01 AM
Two things:? You cannot shift into reverse from 5th unless the shifter is put into neutral (between 3rd and 4th gear) first, and then shifted to reverse from there.

Additionally, the steering wheel does move up or down manually.? It did in the car I drove.?

Yeah, I know it's impossible to engage reverse, I just felt funny sliding it down from 5th and realizing there wasn't a 6th gear there.

The steering wheel moves up but not far up enough for an ideal position for me.

BMWDave

Quote from: 850CSi on May 10, 2007, 10:14:05 AM
Yeah, I know it's impossible to engage reverse, I just felt funny sliding it down from 5th and realizing there wasn't a 6th gear there.

The steering wheel moves up but not far up enough for an ideal position for me.

Oh I see.  Well, you're a tall guy, I'm a bit shorter.  It feels just great for me.  I thought you didn't know that the steering wheel went up/down.

2007 Honda S2000

SVT666

You can't engage reverse in any Mustang GT I've ever driven (except the new one) that didn't require sticking the shifter in 5th first.  Otherwise it was a fight to get it in or you would grind the gears.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raza  on May 09, 2007, 05:10:02 PM
i thought your brother got your E320 and you got a passat. :confused:
@heelntoe

TBR

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 08:24:18 PM
Someone I know also has a Lincoln LS V6 with a manual.  They're really rare, from what I know, and actually they are faster than the V8 auto, I think.

I have a very hard time believing that, but I am too lazy to look up the specs.

On a side note, I've never driven a MT car that had any kind of push/pull reverse lockout.