Dos Test Drives... 350Z & MX-5

Started by 850CSi, May 07, 2007, 04:34:34 PM

Raza

Quote from: heelntoe on May 10, 2007, 11:23:12 AM
i thought your brother got your E320 and you got a passat. :confused:

My brother is older than I am.  The lease on his E320 was up about the same time I was going away to school, and he always wanted mine anyway, so it all worked out.  He had a 99, I had an 02 that he now drives.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on May 10, 2007, 11:26:55 AM
I have a very hard time believing that, but I am too lazy to look up the specs.

On a side note, I've never driven a MT car that had any kind of push/pull reverse lockout.

I know the Audi TT had push, and the 350Z has it, and the Chrysler Crossfire (and I think all Mercedes manuals) has a pull lockout.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

I test drove a MX-5 Grand Touring 6 speed today. The salesman let me and my buddy take it out ourselves. I have to say, I was really surprised by just how good it was. The engine felt fine for the car, it had enough power. Wasn't fast, but it was quick, quick enough. Handling was just wonderful, and the clutch and shifter in it reminded me a lot of the RX-8's, which is one of my favorite trannys. The interior was done very well, except the Bose stereo, which sucked ass. It was a little smaller than I'd like, but still acceptable. More room than the Sky. Overall I just really enjoyed driving it. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, considering the power and size (or perhaps, lack of). It's something I would really consider buying as a second car. I'm kind of toying with the idea of a roadster of some sort this fall, and this just got bumped way up on the list. Bravo Mazda.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

850CSi

Champ

My fault earlier, the S2000 you have to push the shifter down for reverse.

The lincoln definetely you just forced left and up.

They dropped the manual in 2003 I think, and it was ever only available on the 6-cyl.
It was a really nice car, I am surprised it didn't sell well.  Musta been the way it was priced or marketed ?

I'll add that most of the manuals I drive you have to push down or pull up.? (valet for 1.5 years off and on).

Raghavan

Quote from: Champ on May 11, 2007, 08:55:53 AM
My fault earlier, the S2000 you have to push the shifter down for reverse.

The lincoln definetely you just forced left and up.

They dropped the manual in 2003 I think, and it was ever only available on the 6-cyl.
It was a really nice car, I am surprised it didn't sell well.? Musta been the way it was priced or marketed ?

I'll add that most of the manuals I drive you have to push down or pull up.? (valet for 1.5 years off and on).
Do you think a 16 year old could valet?

Champ

Quote from: Raghavan on May 11, 2007, 09:32:58 AM
Do you think a 16 year old could valet?
Yes.  We have had a few 16 and 17 year olds.

HOWEVER check your local laws, because in Minneapolis proper you need to be 18 to valet, but in the suburbs surrounding Mpls. (so different cities) you only need a license.  So those younger guys couldn't work the "downtown" accounts.

Now where you live if they don't have a 18+ law, you also need to realize you may end up working pretty late some nights.  Well I suppose summer is coming up so no school for you?  Would matter during the school year.

Very fun job, although you get really cynical about the human race.  Some people are very stingy with their money.

Champ

Quote from: Champ on May 11, 2007, 11:42:25 AMVery fun job, although you get really cynical about the human race. Some people are very stingy with their money.
Wimmer this is just for you.

Of all the car owners, drivers of MERCEDES tip the LEAST.  That isn't a guess either.  (Based off of 1.5 years of valet service).

Tips (ironically) seem to be inversely related to worth of car.

Tave

Quote from: Champ on May 11, 2007, 11:45:41 AM
Wimmer this is just for you.

Of all the car owners, drivers of MERCEDES tip the LEAST.? That isn't a guess either.? (Based off of 1.5 years of valet service).

Tips (ironically) seem to be inversely related to worth of car.

I know bartenders and waiters who've said roughly the same thing; that is, people without a lot of money tend to tip better.

Maybe it's because they're more likely to have worked some sort of service-job, so they know how much those tips mean.

I try to tip well, but sometimes it's just not possible. I'm only working 3-4 months out of the year, so I can't afford to be too generous, and I'm not going to stay home while my friends go out to the bar just because I can't give the bartender 3 extra dollars every time he turns around and grabs a Budlight from the cooler.

That said, the last time I went out to eat with a group of friends we ended up tipping the waitress 50-75% of an 80 dollar bill. One of the friends worked at the restaraunt, so our bill would have been over 100 bucks easy, so it all works out. I bet the waitress was exstatic.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Champ

You are right about people generally with less money tip better.  I attribute it to two things usually
a) they typically have worked at crappy jobs or service jobs
b) and because of (a), they know the value of money to people who are working jobs like those, which typically are students.  (at least valet, I think 75% of them at my place are in college.  It is a really nice job because you work nights and weekends so you never miss classes.)

I know that sometimes you just can't tip because a person may be short on money and that's fine - but when I get a tip that is lower than it costs to buy a pop in the restaurant.... let's be real here.  Downtown I get a lot of repeat customers, and when they habitually tip poorly it obviously isn't because they were short on cash one time.

Raza

I like to think I tip on service.  I've never used a valet, though.  I don't trust them.  I've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: Raza on May 11, 2007, 12:19:27 PM
I like to think I tip on service. I've never used a valet, though. I don't trust them. I've seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
There are a few bar/clubs downtown I wouldn't use the valets at because they do take out the nicer cars, but not the regular ones.? (they often come speeding by us at one of our accounts).

I would use my valet company without thinking twice, everyone is very professional.? I also like to believe I have a smaller chance of dinging or otherwise crashing most peoples cars, then they would if they parked it themselves. (Speaking of the general public, not enthusiasts like you guys)

Nice part about valet is cars are typically in their own lot, and if there is any damage it would (should) be covered by the valet company so you don't need to pay any money to your insurance.

r0tor

i stayed at a hotel in philly where valet parking was the only parking offered at the hotel. I didn't like that, but had to go along with it.  So as I'm checking out I ask for them to get my car and I can hear my poor baby with a cold engine having the piss reved out of it through the parking deck... needless to say that kid didn't get a tip and I don't plan on ever staying at the hotel again.   :devil:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

I would trust a valet as long as they're not leaving the parking lot with my car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ro51092

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 11, 2007, 07:16:26 PM
I would trust a valet as long as they're not leaving the parking lot with my car.

I wouldn't.

JYODER240

I figure they can't do anything that I wouldn't do myself :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Colonel Cadillac

I trust the valet.

The day I delivered pizza before I quit (I was a pizza boy for only one day), I got over 20% on all of my tips :praise: