Dos Test Drives... 350Z & MX-5

Started by 850CSi, May 07, 2007, 04:34:34 PM

850CSi

So I had absolutely nothing to do today and decided I wanted to head out and drive a couple of cars that I've read so much about, only to lack any personal insight.

I've wanted to drive a 350Z for a while and see what all the hype was, so I headed down to the Nissan dealership. There were a few salesman sitting around outside, so I got one guy's undivided attention when I pulled up in the X3. We walked around in the lot for a bit, he couldn't find a manual transmission model (which I insisted on from the very beginning). So we went inside and he was able to find one that was sitting around in the back lot... It was a convertible, sticker came out to around $40K. I would rather have driven an enthusiast trim coupe, but whatever. This one was brand new, around 14 miles on the Odo.

I had to talk out of my ASS and sell some real bullshit to convince him I was serious about buying (I felt like Trep, told him the X3 was mine and that I had a "brother" who I frequently switch cars with who drives a manual 325i and that we were rich off of family investments). In the end he let me hop in and he came along. Funny, I had to pull it out because he couldn't drive stick.

2007 Nissan 350Z Convertible

Engine
God, I love the VQ. Power at all ranges, a nice throaty roar, and damn... This thing GOES if it so much as smells gas. I can see what some of the magazines are saying about it being a little unrefined and loud, but personally that doesn't bother me at all... I want my GT's engine to have some personality. 9/10

Handling
I didn't get the chance to really take it on any backroads or through a slalom or even try out the turning radius, but I liked the steering. It doesn't communicate as much as my car does, but it's relatively precise. NA/10 (not enough driving to judge)

Suspension & Ride
I liked the ride/handling compromise. It felt properly stiff, but it also was pretty good at soaking up the bumps in the road. It also left me with the impression that the car was solid. Body roll is minimized. 8.5/10

Transmission
This was the Z's real achilles heel. The shifter was good, it felt relatively precise and had short throws that weren't too short. The clutch, on the other hand, is one of the worst I have ever encountered. It felt artificial, except for the fact that it felt like it was about to fall off whenever the RPMs climbed. Its travel was too short, it was too light, and the friction point was ridiculously hard to detect (much harder than my car, which has a delay mechanism!), and when I could feel it, it was way too high. In short, I've driven econoboxes with better clutches. 3/10

Interior
I loved the seats and it felt pretty high quality overall, I liked it more than I thought I would. I like how the gauges tilt along with the steering wheel. I'm not the biggest fan of the layout and the storage compartment in the middle of the interior looks like it's there because they couldnt think of anything else to put there. 7/10

The Verdict
A Japanese muscle car with a GT personality. You'd have to be positively crazy to spend $40K on the model I drove, but I think the lower trim levels are a good deal. I still need to drive a Mustang, though.

After that, I got the urge to head to the Mazda dealership down the street, I wanted to drive an MX-5. The salesman was a cool guy, he didn't even hesitate to let me drive it (and I don't think he even saw me pull up in the Bimmer). Part of it may be that he didn't notice I was under 21 (Illinois DLs make it very clear, that's why the guys at the Nissan dealership gave me a bit of trouble).

I was joking with him at first that we would need to see if I actually fit in it (I didn't fit comfortably enough to drive in the last-gen). Soon enough, I we were leaving the lot in a Sport model (the 2nd trim level).

2007 Mazda MX-5 Sport

Engine
To the Miata's credit, it didn't feel slow after driving a much more powerful car (the Z). It felt about as fast as my car. The 2.0 liter four-banger seemed more than willing to let me explore its powerband. 8/10

Handling
The steering was wonderfully precise, and the Miata surprised me with its amazing turning radius. It's one of the few cars I've driven that I felt communicated as much of the road to me as my 325i does. 9/10

Suspension & Ride
I got to take the Miata out on better roads than the Z, but even before that I noticed quickly that it felt light on its feet and a lot more nimble than the Z (which you can partially attribute to the Z being a convertible). The Miata also had a wonderful ride/handling compromise, after today I really wish I had gone with the sport package on my 3er which also has a good ride/handling compromise but could stand to be a little stiffer IMO with a little less body roll. 9/10

Transmission
I like long heavy clutches with well defined friction points. Perhaps I've been spoiled by having a BMW transmission. But it took me all of about 5 minutes to become thorougly acquainted with the Miata's clutch. It's a little short travel-wise, but it feels proper at its friction point and it's really really easy to get used to. The shifter was precise and had short throws. It could use a 6th gear, though... I believe higher trim levels have a 6-speed rather than the 5. I almost shifted into Reverse (although that isn't really possible).? :lol: 8/10

Interior
I was worried about fitting into the Miata, and at first I was sitting fine but I wished the steering wheel would go higher than it did. Eventually I got used to the seating position and it wasn't a problem at all. I like its interior more than the Z's although the seats aren't as nice (don't know if this is different at higher trim levels). The fit-and-finish reminded me of my 6s, it was very well put together. 8/10

The Verdict
I liked driving the Z, mainly because of the brute power, but this thing really put a smile on my face. Definitely one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. A bargain at a little over $20K, I reallly think I'll own one someday.

All of that said, I'd rather have my car than them both.? :lol: I'm patiently waiting for my dad to get home, as it needs a good wash and wax, and I haven't driven it in 10 days.? :banghead: :lol:

Now I didn't get any pictures of either machine, but here's a treat... It's a cell phone picture but you guys get the point:

Let the debate begin!

Later this week I think I may go test drive the VW GTI and a Mustang GT.

Onslaught

No debating form me. I agree with just about everything you said. I've only been in one Z convertible and I don't like it near as much as the coupe. And the new MX-5 has too much body roll for my taste too. The first thing I would do is Mazdaspeed one if I picked one up.

850CSi

Quote from: Onslaught on May 07, 2007, 04:43:12 PM
No debating form me. I agree with just about everything you said. I've only been in one Z convertible and I don't like it near as much as the coupe. And the new MX-5 has too much body roll for my taste too. The first thing I would do is Mazdaspeed one if I picked one up.

I would have preferred a little less, but I don't think there's too much really.

If anyone's ever driven a 6-Series with ARS, you know what having almost NO body roll feels like.. it's a little awkward.  :lol:

Onslaught

It's not horrible compared to most cars. But coming from? the NA or NB it's one of the first things you notice when you drive one. I'm sure the car is a little more comfortable on rough roads or long drives.

280Z Turbo

I don't really feel like lying to score a test drive. I've never done that before.

Aparently you guys do it all the time!

Raza

You're nicer to the Z than I am.

I personally thought the Z was dead quiet, but I guess compared to a 325i it could seem loud.  If you drove it with the windows down, you'd be able to hear that lovely sound though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Here's a question...when you guys go test drive, do you guys give out your phone #s? I usually avoid it because they annoy the living shit out of me with "when I'm planning to purchas"

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:38:45 PM
Here's a question...when you guys go test drive, do you guys give out your phone #s? I usually avoid it because they annoy the living shit out of me with "when I'm planning to purchas"

I give my cell phone.  They usually don't pursue you after a week or two.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2007, 05:43:40 PM
I give my cell phone.  They usually don't pursue you after a week or two.

They photocopy your driver's license; which has your address on it. Can't they track you that way?

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:45:16 PM
They photocopy your driver's license; which has your address on it. Can't they track you that way?

I heard there were laws about how long they can call you.  I get stuff sent to me by mail all the time.  A lot of new car test drive invites, too.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:38:45 PM

"(Can) I have your card, and I'll call you."

Champ

I test drove the 9-3 Aero with the V-6 last year when it first came out, and I got a call from the salesman last week asking if I was still interested.

I told him I'd wait for the 2008 with AWD and he hadn't heard about it :(

That Saab dealership goes through a lot of sales people... most with not much knowledge.

Raghavan

850CSi

Raghavan

Did you have to grow out your beard to look bigger? :lol:
When i was waiting for my dad one day at the Honda dealership, one guy asked me if i had my license. I said yes, and he promptly pulled out the keys to an S2000 and told me i could take it for a spin. I told him i couldn't drive  a stick. :(
But he was a young guy, so maybe that's why he was willing to let me take one out.

850CSi

Quote from: Raghavan on May 07, 2007, 07:19:11 PM
Did you have to grow out your beard to look bigger? :lol:

I haven't shaved in a few days, had it not been explicitly stated on my license I HIGHLY doubt the guys at Nissan would have looked at my DOB.

850CSi

I just went out and drove my car for the first time in 10 days just to refresh my memory and to make a mental comparison what I drove today...

All I need are some stiffer springs and it really is nearly as sharp as the Miata. The transmission is miles ahead of anything I've ever driven. Guys, if anyone hasn't driven a 3-Series, do yourselves a favor and drive one. Mine was $2K more than a base 350Z.

I'll quit trolling now. :lol:

JYODER240

I'd like to drive a Z convertable. I doubt I'd like it better than mine but I'm curious to see what its like. I'm almost positive they changed the clutch for in 06. Mine is anything but light and is very communicative but it does has a very high engagement point and it took awhile to learn to drive it smoothly.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=8994.msg441621#msg441621 date=1178580600
You're nicer to the Z than I am.

I personally thought the Z was dead quiet, but I guess compared to a 325i it could seem loud.? If you drove it with the windows down, you'd be able to hear that lovely sound though.

Dead quiet compared to what? With the windows up you hear less exhaust and more intake and engine but it still isn't quiet.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

I don't think the Z was that loud. The windows were open the whole time. Besides, I'd rather get to hear that beast.

Onslaught

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2007, 07:49:00 PM
I don't think the Z was that loud. The windows were open the whole time. Besides, I'd rather get to hear that beast.
I agree. One of my favorite things about the Z car is it's sound. Aggressive without being obnoxious.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2007, 07:29:20 PM
I haven't shaved in a few days, had it not been explicitly stated on my license I HIGHLY doubt the guys at Nissan would have looked at my DOB.

You look like you're 30, so there was probably no reason for the salesmen to look at your DOB.

But yeah, sounds like you had a fun day! Interesting that you found that the Miata had more body roll that it probably should. I never would have thought a car like it would have a lot. Overall, good reviews; I had fun reading them.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 07, 2007, 07:47:44 PM
Dead quiet compared to what? With the windows up you hear less exhaust and more intake and engine but it still isn't quiet.

Quieter than the E320 and Passat at WOT.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

Two things:  You cannot shift into reverse from 5th unless the shifter is put into neutral (between 3rd and 4th gear) first, and then shifted to reverse from there.

Additionally, the steering wheel does move up or down manually.  It did in the car I drove. 

And I have to agree with you about turning radius/steering.  I just drove a sport yesterday so I know exactly what you're talking about.  It's an incredibly fun car to drive.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TheIntrepid

I really want to try out one of these. :mask:

NomisR

I drove one at the Mazda event when they first came out.. the Miata was incredibly fun.. I would actually take that over the Rx8 any day in terms of fun to drive.  It might just be the convertible thing but I really like it.. the only thing that really turned me off was the fact that I can't see out the front because this big piece of windshielf right at my line of sight...

heelntoe

Quote from: BMWDave on May 09, 2007, 08:45:01 AM
Two things:  You cannot shift into reverse from 5th unless the shifter is put into neutral (between 3rd and 4th gear) first, and then shifted to reverse from there.
actually, you have to be below a certain speed to be able to shift into reverse.
@heelntoe

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on May 09, 2007, 12:03:18 PM
I drove one at the Mazda event when they first came out.. the Miata was incredibly fun.. I would actually take that over the Rx8 any day in terms of fun to drive.  It might just be the convertible thing but I really like it.. the only thing that really turned me off was the fact that I can't see out the front because this big piece of windshielf right at my line of sight...

Says the owner of an Elise. How the heck do you fit in that thing if a MX-5 isn't big enough for you?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

An Elise has a lot of room upfront. There isn't anything in front of the driver except space. Look at the footwells sometime, they're enormous for how big the car is.

Same thing with a 911. It has more legroom than a full size truck.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.