IFCAR Comparison: Inexpensive Family Sedans

Started by ifcar, May 07, 2007, 05:16:17 PM

ifcar

Many of you may remember the most recent IFCAR comparison that I posted here (6-passenger vehicles priced under $20,000), and here is an examination of inexpensive family sedans:

http://ifcar.net/reviews.comparisons.inexpensivefamilysedans.htm

The comparison itself should be complete, let me know if you find errors either in content or with the site. If you see dead or misdirected links, formatting or spelling errors, or inaccurate statements, please let me know immediately.

If you have questions, please ask. If you disagree with anything, please bring it up for an INTELLIGENT debate (IE not "Well, I thought this should have been in first place, so you're wrong" or "this is unusual, so it's wrong", and please, no personal insults). The ranking order isn't everything, please read the explanations (the first and last paragraphs of each review page) if you feel the need to say anything pertinent. The text is much shorter than in previous comparisons, essentially reduced to a combined introduction/conclusion from the more exhaustive format of the past.

If this is the first time you've come across an IFCAR comparison, you can check out the others http://ifcar.net/.

That should cover everything, so enjoy!

TheIntrepid

Well done man!!

I do think that you shouldn't review every engine of every car, making it much easier to browse. The Fusion V6 places in like 15th place and the I4 places 4th? There should only be one Fusion IMO.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:36:08 PM
Well done man!!

I do think that you shouldn't review every engine of every car, making it much easier to browse. The Fusion V6 places in like 15th place and the I4 places 4th? There should only be one Fusion IMO.

If Ford's going to sell both, it's worth an extra 20 minutes of my time and page of space to have information about both of them.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on May 07, 2007, 05:40:31 PM
If Ford's going to sell both, it's worth an extra 20 minutes of my time and page of space to have information about both of them.

Why didn't you test both the Camry V6 and the 4?

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:41:32 PM
Why didn't you test both the Camry V6 and the 4?

Camry V6 is about $2,500 above the group's price ceiling, while both Fusions were less expensive than the Camry 2.4-liter.

TheIntrepid

If Toyota's going to sell both, it's worth an extra 20 minutes of your time and page of space to have information about both of them.

:huh:

;) Just yanking you man.

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on May 07, 2007, 05:44:01 PM
If Toyota's going to sell both, it's worth an extra 20 minutes of your time and page of space to have information about both of them.

:huh:

;) Just yanking you man.

Only if Toyota is going to price it near enough the other cars in the group. The Accord, Altima, and Galant also have V6 versions that can't be had under $21,000.

ro51092

Subie pwns. Maybe not to IFCAR, but then again, he's single and drives a Kia Sedona. :lol:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ro51092 on May 07, 2007, 06:03:42 PM
Subie pwns. Maybe not to IFCAR, but then again, he's single and drives a Kia Sedona. :lol:

While in his twenties.

The Pirate

Great read!  Glad to see the 4 banger Fusion high up, I do like that car.  I was a bit surprised to see a Kia tied for first (with a Hyundai no less), but they both seem to be great cars.  I see a lot of the Sonatas around here, but very few Kias.  They certainly are not the Korean cars of yore...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

850CSi

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on May 07, 2007, 06:05:41 PM
I'm not.
So either you're really young or you're in your thirties and up...

Catman

Big surprise on the Avenger and Shitbring. :(  What a terrible effort.

Vinsanity

wow it's really no secret you're a big fan of the 4-bangers, is it? :rolleyes: ;)

850CSi

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 07, 2007, 07:32:14 PM
wow it's really no secret you're a big fan of the 4-bangers, is it? :rolleyes: ;)

What's your point? They're family sedans, as such his focus is on what matters most to a family. In a lot of cases the I4 is going to be the better choice, especially if the V6 doesn't provide that much more acceleration.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 850CSi on May 07, 2007, 07:40:28 PM
What's your point? They're family sedans, as such his focus is on what matters most to a family. In a lot of cases the I4 is going to be the better choice, especially if the V6 doesn't provide that much more acceleration.

I was just busting is chops :devil:

and if you've ever taken a road trip with 3 other people and their luggage in a 4-cylinder rental car, you'll appreciate the extra kick of a V6

sandertheshark

A Camry in 9th place?? What the hell is going on!?

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 07, 2007, 07:50:15 PM
and if you've ever taken a road trip with 3 other people and their luggage in a 4-cylinder rental car, you'll appreciate the extra kick of a V6
I agree.  Even if the acceleration isn't much better, the added torque of the V6 will help with hills and such when the car is loaded.  Overal it's a great comparison, although I think the Fusion V6 should be placed a lot closer to the 4 banger version.  I agree with your comments about the Five Hundred.  The Five Hundred is absolutely huge inside and the trunk could be used as a hot tub if you needed.  It has everything a family sedan needs.

TheIntrepid

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

850CSi

Yeah, I can see what you're saying.

nickdrinkwater

The winners do seem pretty much bargains, you're getting a lot of car for the money.

I did think it was a bit strange that you separated some of the models (Kia, Hyundai, Fusion V6s) but not others (Malibu, G6).  Might be best to have one entry for each model with all engines under one review, just to make it consistent and easier to read.  Especially since there are less similarities between a Sebring and Avenger than a Fusion 4cyl and Fusion 6cyl!

Quite surprised the Galant did so well, I was under the impression it was a bit of a flop and thought this might be because it was a POS - obviously not.  Seems like the Accord is still doing the business too - surely it must be being replaced soon though?

It's disappointing to see the new Chrysler and Dodge so low.  I can't understand why their new models are so disappointing.  I thought the Avenger at least looked promising, but obviously not.  These cars are coming to Europe soon so it'll be interesting to see reactions, especially since they aren't exactly bargain priced.

Oh and a bit of constructive criticism, I feel the reviews and site overall would benefit a lot if you put your own photos of the cars on there.  Or at least bigger pictures if you can't be bothered.

Thanks for taking the time!

TheIntrepid

etypeJohn

Or you might appreciate the better mileage of the 4, especially with gas at $3.00 a gallon.

SJ_GTI

Wow.

I haven't driven most of those cars, but the Sonata being in first makes it pretty much a throw away review IMHO. The only rental I've had that drove worse than the Sonata was the previous gen Ford Taurus.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 08, 2007, 07:09:14 AM
The winners do seem pretty much bargains, you're getting a lot of car for the money.

I did think it was a bit strange that you separated some of the models (Kia, Hyundai, Fusion V6s) but not others (Malibu, G6).  Might be best to have one entry for each model with all engines under one review, just to make it consistent and easier to read.  Especially since there are less similarities between a Sebring and Avenger than a Fusion 4cyl and Fusion 6cyl!

If the versions with different engines were ranked next to each other, they were on the same page, but in cases where one version was judged to be much better than another, separated by other models, they got their own pages.

Quite surprised the Galant did so well, I was under the impression it was a bit of a flop and thought this might be because it was a POS - obviously not.  Seems like the Accord is still doing the business too - surely it must be being replaced soon though?

The Galant is definitely a flop, but more for its styling and Mitsubishi's other problems than for its own flaws. They've also done some work on the interior since it was introduced.

And yes, the Accord will be new for 2008, which means that deals on the Accord won't be at their current level for another five years.

It's disappointing to see the new Chrysler and Dodge so low.  I can't understand why their new models are so disappointing.  I thought the Avenger at least looked promising, but obviously not.  These cars are coming to Europe soon so it'll be interesting to see reactions, especially since they aren't exactly bargain priced.

The Avenger will probably sell well (at least here) for the styling, but the cars are astonishingly bad.

Oh and a bit of constructive criticism, I feel the reviews and site overall would benefit a lot if you put your own photos of the cars on there.  Or at least bigger pictures if you can't be bothered.

As I hesitate to risk losing test drive privileges by taking photos at the dealerships (and because of the spotty quality and backdrop of a dealership parking lot), I'll only be using my own photos when absolutely necessary. (This was the case for the Saturn Aura here, but it wasn't the car I drove.) And I don't see the need for extensive photo illustrations on the comparison pages when the press pictures can be found anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time!

It's my pleasure.

ifcar

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 08, 2007, 12:14:24 PM
Wow.

I haven't driven most of those cars, but the Sonata being in first makes it pretty much a throw away review IMHO. The only rental I've had that drove worse than the Sonata was the previous gen Ford Taurus.

As you say, you haven't driven most of these cars. The Sonata is far from the worst among them. Secondly, your priorities in what makes a "good driving" car are clearly very different from the general family sedan buying public. These are people who complain about how stiff the Accord's ride is, not people who care if their car doesn't feel sporty.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on May 08, 2007, 01:58:49 PM
As you say, you haven't driven most of these cars. The Sonata is far from the worst among them. Secondly, your priorities in what makes a "good driving" car are clearly very different from the general family sedan buying public. These are people who complain about how stiff the Accord's ride is, not people who care if their car doesn't feel sporty.

I have driven the G6, Malibu, Grand Prix, Ford 500, Altima and Accord and I would take every one of them over a Sonata.

The Sonata is a crappy car to drive. If an American company made a car like that they would be ridiculed out of existence.