Mitsubishi Grandis-One Hot Minivan!

Started by BMWDave, June 21, 2005, 07:58:07 PM

BMWDave

I think this car would be amazing for Mitsubishi in the US.  It would invigorate sales, and add another car to their lineup.  What do you think?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

It would sell as long as it got labeled as a crossover instead of as a minivan.

BMWDave

QuoteIt would sell as long as it got labeled as a crossover instead of as a minivan.
Mitsubishi Grandis-One Hot Crossover :P  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Why is Mitsu so stupid?  Here they have this amazing product, and yet they arent bringing it to our shores.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

cozmik

QuoteWhy is Mitsu so stupid?  Here they have this amazing product, and yet they arent bringing it to our shores.
Mitsubishi has what looks like one hot product from pictures.

It's possible it could suck donkey dick in real life. Plus that is for sure a right hand drive car, if they have no left hand drive version, there the costs to make it left could be great, much great than the potential payoff for taking the risk. And lets face it, Mitsu does not have money to be gambling with...

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

93JC

QuoteWhy is Mitsu so stupid?  Here they have this amazing product, and yet they arent bringing it to our shores.
ifcar nailed it.

"Minivans" are in now way "mini" anymore. They're about the same size as a regular-length E-series or Express/Savana. Introducing the Grandis in North America would result in:

- jackasses lumping it in with smaller stuff like Vibe/Matrix, Mazda3 hatch, Spectra5, etc., resulting in comparisons in which it's "too heavy", "not efficient enough", etc.

or

- jackasses lumping it in with Caravan, Odyssey, GM's vans, Freestar, Sienna, Quest, etc., resulting in comparisons in which it's "far too small"

I personally wish the automakers would bring back TRUE MINIvans like Grandis, the JDM Odyssey, etc., but it ain't gonna happen so long as yuppies with one kid are told by the automotive press and the automakers themselves that they need a vehicle that's 18ft long and seats 7 or 8.

Secret Chimp

It might work if they marketed against things like the Freestyle, or maybe if they had a campaign calling attention to the general foolishness of having a vehicle as cavernous as your usual modern minivan when you just have kids and crap that could fit into a Grandis-sized vehicle just as easily.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

I'd say it needs to go against the Mazda5, Freestyle, and Pacifica. But, as other people have pointed out, there may be issues with bringing it here. LHD conversion, possible emissions and safety regulations, and of course the possibility that it just isn't as good as it looks.

mazda6er

Like a Mitsu version of the Mazda5. I'd be interested to see which vehicle would sell more units.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

R33 GT-R

Shaped ok but the grill is funky.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

ifcar

QuoteLike a Mitsu version of the Mazda5. I'd be interested to see which vehicle would sell more units.
I think it's bigger than the Mazda5, but maybe not.

Raza

Mitsu may not be bringing this because of the costs involved--from what I remember, Mitsu is in some financial troubles, and selling more cars is fine and dandy, but it takes time and money to introduce a new car to America, especially if it's JDM and they need to re-engineer a LHD model.  It may not be fiscally possible to sell this car in America.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

QuoteMitsu may not be bringing this because of the costs involved--from what I remember, Mitsu is in some financial troubles, and selling more cars is fine and dandy, but it takes time and money to introduce a new car to America, especially if it's JDM and they need to re-engineer a LHD model.  It may not be fiscally possible to sell this car in America.
Mitsubishi has put themselves in finanacial trouble with all their gimmics.  No payments for 2 years and 0% interest.  Whatever.

Raza

QuoteMitsu may not be bringing this because of the costs involved--from what I remember, Mitsu is in some financial troubles, and selling more cars is fine and dandy, but it takes time and money to introduce a new car to America, especially if it's JDM and they need to re-engineer a LHD model.  It may not be fiscally possible to sell this car in America.
Mitsubishi has put themselves in finanacial trouble with all their gimmics.  No payments for 2 years and 0% interest.  Whatever.
Kind of sounds like a sale at Raymour & Flannigan, doesn't it?  Furniture is always doing that "No interest until you die!" deals and what not.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

And as for the mpv itself, it's not bad looking--I don't see myself ever warming up to a van, but it's not a bad proposition.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

QuoteMitsu may not be bringing this because of the costs involved--from what I remember, Mitsu is in some financial troubles, and selling more cars is fine and dandy, but it takes time and money to introduce a new car to America, especially if it's JDM and they need to re-engineer a LHD model.? It may not be fiscally possible to sell this car in America.
Kind of sounds like a sale at Raymour & Flannigan, doesn't it?  Furniture is always doing that "No interest until you die!" deals and what not.
Come on in, no payments till 2025 and we're giving you interest not taking it and don't forget the 9500 dollar rebate and free oil changes for life with car washes tooooooooooo.

R33 GT-R

QuoteAnd as for the mov itself, it's not bad looking--I don't see myself ever warming up to a van, but it's not a bad proposition.
The only minivan/semi wagon I would take.  

Stagea, Woooooooo  Hooooooooo!

Couldn't find a clean one really people like to rice these a bit.

ifcar

How is it minivanlike in any way?

Raza

QuoteHow is it minivanlike in any way?
It's a wagon.

I love wagons!  I almost did an RS2 for GTCC before, but I talk about it all the time--like the 912 that you people guessed on the first page.

RS2s rule!

I mean, RS2, RS4, S4 Avant, Impreza WRX, Magnum, E55 Estate, M5 Touring...who doesn't love wagons?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Raza

QuoteSUV buyers.
God!  I hate SUV buyers!  Especially little paid-for women who drive Escalade ESVs and don't know what to do ever.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

QuoteHow is it minivanlike in any way?
:D  

ifcar

QuoteSUV buyers.
God!  I hate SUV buyers!  Especially little paid-for women who drive Escalade ESVs and don't know what to do ever.
Here we go...  :rolleyes:  

Raza

QuoteSUV buyers.
What?  No rant, that's all, I'm done.  You all know my position on SUVs.  I'm too enamored with my GTCC win to rant now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

R33 GT-R

QuoteSUV buyers.
I know what a bunch of tramps.

Tom

You guys are getting too excited about a minivan that won't reach our shores, and is just another baby-carrier.

ifcar

QuoteSUV buyers.
What?  No rant, that's all, I'm done.  You all know my position on SUVs.  I'm too enamored with my GTCC win to rant now.
We ALL know your position on the following subjects:

-Camry
-Police
-SUVs

Yet being content never stopped you from ranting before.  :lol:  

Raza

QuoteSUV buyers.
We ALL know your position on the following subjects:

-Camry
-Police
-SUVs

Yet being content never stopped you from ranting before.  :lol:
I'm just trying to bring light to the dark, my friend.

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Car Zeus

Now that is hot - the FUGLY back lights.

BRING IT TO THE STATES!