RDX V6, Murano o Venza

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 26, 2017, 09:29:18 AM

Raza

Quote from: MrH on April 02, 2017, 10:31:31 AM
For something like a crossover for your wife who ammittedly doesn't care about driving dynamics, you should 100% be getting a Japanese snooze box.

I bet she cares at least a little about style, though.  When the best looking car on your list is an Acura, some god is forcing you to punish your eyes. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Why not just get a Jetta wagon
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on April 02, 2017, 10:31:31 AM
For something like a crossover for your wife who ammittedly doesn't care about driving dynamics, you should 100% be getting a Japanese snooze box.
Isn't that what the RDX/Venza/Murano are? :confused:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 03, 2017, 03:51:27 PM
Why?

Your looking at FWD SUV's which means you don't really need an SUV unless your 60 years old and can't bend down... Might as well get a wagon
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2017, 05:41:13 PM
Your looking at FWD SUV's which means you don't really need an SUV unless your 60 years old and can't bend down... Might as well get a wagon
Better/higher driving position.  Of course it helps getting in and out if you don't have to squat down and twist your neck at an awkward angle.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CJ

Get an Outback with the 6-cylinder. Good cars.

Lebowski

Do you "really need" a GJC?

12,000 RPM

If car purchases were based sololy on need, we, including you, would all be in Mitsubishi Mirages, Suzuki SX4s, and Dodge Caravans. Please stop following me with your beer infused bullshit, I don't swing that way.

In fact, this post is the first place I even used the word "need" in the context of this purchase. The opening post clearly states my "wants". :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

VW's are ticking time bombs anyway
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

Splurge on an X1 for her. The new one has been beating all comers in comparos I´ve read.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Tave

Your size range is kind of wandering all over the place. The Murano and Venza are mid-sized automobiles but you keep nixing anything else mid-sized then complain some of the compacts are too small. I'd just get whatever your wife likes best. Is the V6 that important to her? A CR-V w/ the leather interior, or the Highlander of you want a touch more space and the larger engine, are both really solid rides. Or Subaru if you like a little flavor.

I think the first gen Murano is a great design but I wasn't sold on the follow ups.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 03, 2017, 08:23:25 PM
Splurge on an X1 for her. The new one has been beating all comers in comparos I´ve read.

That car is a lot less car than what he's looking at. Closer interior room to a Buick Encore rather than a Honda CR-V.

Raza

I think the Outback is probably the best choice.  Additionally, in the rare Carolina snows, while the rest of your compatriots and crying and dying at the thought of it, you can plough through like you're from a place that actually got snow and you know what you're doing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on April 03, 2017, 07:37:03 PM

Do you "really need" a GJC?

I work in the snowiest part of my state and vacation on 4x4 only beaches in NC... yea, I do

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 03, 2017, 07:40:37 PM
If car purchases were based sololy on need, we, including you, would all be in Mitsubishi Mirages, Suzuki SX4s, and Dodge Caravans. Please stop following me with your beer infused bullshit, I don't swing that way.

In fact, this post is the first place I even used the word "need" in the context of this purchase. The opening post clearly states my "wants". :facepalm:

Sorry, FWD SUVs are pointless unless your 60yrs old and can't bend over.  But go on...

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 05:24:53 AM

I work in the snowiest part of my state and vacation on 4x4 only beaches in NC... yea, I do

Seems plenty of people live in snowy areas and survive w/o 4wd.

Didn't know driving on the beach was a need.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2017, 04:46:28 AM
I think the Outback is probably the best choice.  Additionally, in the rare Carolina snows, while the rest of your compatriots and crying and dying at the thought of it, you can plough through like you're from a place that actually got snow and you know what you're doing.
When it snows the city shuts down and we remote in. I have my SIM rig, freezer chest and home gym.... All I need is a generator and we'll be set.

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 05:32:42 AM
Sorry, FWD SUVs are pointless unless your 60yrs old and can't bend over.  But go on...
And a Jetta wagon is pointless unless you carry 4x8s and flat screen tv's on your daily commute. What's your point?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on April 04, 2017, 05:52:37 AM

Seems plenty of people live in snowy areas and survive w/o 4wd.

Didn't know driving on the beach was a need.

If your buying a vehicle that best fits your lifestyle, then it needs to be able to do the things your life requires... The JGC was the best fit at the time -shrug-

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2017, 05:55:57 AM

And a Jetta wagon is pointless unless you carry 4x8s and flat screen tv's on your daily commute. What's your point?

Your the one that seems to think your future kid(s) require a huge ass vehicle... Just suggesting something based on your perceived need

Damn bro - guzzle some beer and lighten up

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 03, 2017, 03:51:13 PM
Isn't that what the RDX/Venza/Murano are? :confused:

...Yes.  :confused:  The post before Raza said:

Quote from: Raza  on April 02, 2017, 12:57:02 AM
According to people on this forum, the only reliable cars are a small percentage of Japanese snoozeboxes.

I was replying to him.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 07:34:10 AM

If your buying a vehicle that best fits your lifestyle, then it needs to be able to do the things your life requires... The JGC was the best fit at the time -shrug-

Are there not people for whom a fwd cuv/suv best fits their lifestyle?

Might say, loading a carseat into a small SUV be easier than into a car?  Or do you know something all these under 60 fwd SUV owners don't?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on April 04, 2017, 07:57:49 AM

Might say, loading a carseat into a small SUV be easier than into a car?  Or do you know something all these under 60 fwd SUV owners don't?

It's easier just keeping the car seat in the car regardless of what it is.

Compared to something like a Jetta wagon, the only benefit of a FWD CUV is seat height.  The downsides usually include space, fuel economy, ride comfort, braking, handling, acceleration... almost like it's a minivan that lacks all the usefulness of a minivan (well because fwd CUVs are)

Lebowski

For you, maybe.

You seem to think yourself awfully knowledgeable about what fits others' lifestyles. You don't "need" a JGC any more than a soccermom "needs" a CUV. 

12,000 RPM

I'm thinking r0tor is still drunk

New CRV

- costs the same
- gets better gas mileage
- has better warranty
- is rated to tow
- has more cargo room with seats up and down
- has more passenger room in all dimensions

Not to mention will retain value better and be more reliable

My wife doesn't give a shit about braking or handling, and lol at a crossover being overkill but a minivan being ok. You're delirious with rage bro

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on April 04, 2017, 07:57:49 AM

And even if you leave the car seat in (Which I'd rather not do, seems like a convertible seat system would work best for everybody) you still have to load and unload the human in it. Or do you leave the kid in the car r0tor?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2017, 12:53:37 PM
I'm thinking r0tor is still drunk

New CRV

- costs the same
- gets better gas mileage
- has better warranty
- is rated to tow
- has more cargo room with seats up and down
- has more passenger room in all dimensions

Not to mention will retain value better and be more reliable

My wife doesn't give a shit about braking or handling, and lol at a crossover being overkill but a minivan being ok. You're delirious with rage bro

I kind of got lost in all the back and forth.

Is CRV the front runner now?

I am not a CUV type person but they seem nice. Toyota Rav4 is nice looking too IMHO.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2017, 12:55:56 PM
I kind of got lost in all the back and forth.

Is CRV the front runner now?

I am not a CUV type person but they seem nice. Toyota Rav4 is nice looking too IMHO.
No we haven't started looking yet. Opening volleys will be the Tuscon, RDX and Venza to see what size she likes, and then we will go from there. Just brought up the CRV as its most comparable to r0tor's stupid suggestion. Outback is peak wagon but I'm not interested.

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on April 04, 2017, 10:43:19 AM
It's easier just keeping the car seat in the car regardless of what it is.

Compared to something like a Jetta wagon, the only benefit of a FWD CUV is seat height.  The downsides usually include space, fuel economy, ride comfort, braking, handling, acceleration... almost like it's a minivan that lacks all the usefulness of a minivan (well because fwd CUVs are)

Don't trivialize seat height - it matters a lot to a big segment of the population, especially the unthusiast segment.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2017, 12:55:27 PM

And even if you leave the car seat in (Which I'd rather not do, seems like a convertible seat system would work best for everybody) you still have to load and unload the human in it. Or do you leave the kid in the car r0tor?

He leaves the kid in the car.

We're just starting to look at this stuff (and it's changed a lot since my stepson was that small), but it seems the most useful carseats now are the "systems" where you get a base for each car and the seat comes in and out, and can also snap into a stroller. And even if that's not the way you go, you're still reaching in to take the kid in and out ... which I imagine is easier at CUV height than car height and one of the reasons I see all these moms driving CUVs. Maybe they all shoulda consulted with rotor first?

It's hard to argue with the CRV if looking at it objectively, and since your wife doesn't seem to care about much of the subjective stuff that is something you should probably include.