Most exciting cars from around 2000

Started by mzziaz, January 24, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: mzziaz on January 24, 2019, 11:28:17 PM
Love that color! So rare, unfortunelately

I agree.  That's my favorite color for a 'Vette.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 25, 2019, 01:11:23 PM
Heh, someone else mentioned in the "late 90s dark ages" in another thread. I was gonna respond with a list of cars I liked from that era until I realized that they're pretty much all Hondas and BMWs. :lol:

What about Saab?  That was the time when their redesign broke them out of the egghead college professor from Comnecticut crowd and they became pretty popular.  I considered Saab before getting my BMW.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Payman

Porsche 996. Not a well loved 911, but that means you can still get a good one for under $20k, and they're still fantastic driving cars.

This one has 85,000 miles, 6 speed manual, for $18,000...

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on January 26, 2019, 07:08:52 AM
Porsche 996. Not a well loved 911, but that means you can still get a good one for under $20k, and they're still fantastic driving cars.

This one has 85,000 miles, 6 speed manual, for $18,000...

Pretty sure 996s are widely available in Europe.  I think the point was to import something that was never offered in that market.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2019, 08:22:12 AM
Pretty sure 996s are widely available in Europe.  I think the point was to import something that was never offered in that market.

Ah ok.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on January 26, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
I had one of those, a '78.  It got around 12 mpg.  Nothing would stop it though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on January 26, 2019, 06:54:29 AM
What about Saab?  That was the time when their redesign broke them out of the egghead college professor from Comnecticut crowd and they became pretty popular.  I considered Saab before getting my BMW.

They were certainly better than American cars of that era. :lol:

I wasn't a huge fan of the first gen 9-3's styling at the time, though I think it's aged fairly well. 9-5s were always pretty handsome cars. I test drove a 9-5 Aero when my old Accord got flooded and I assumed that it was going to be totalled, and liked it a lot.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 26, 2019, 09:42:41 AM
They were certainly better than American cars of that era. :lol:

I wasn't a huge fan of the first gen 9-3's styling at the time, though I think it's aged fairly well. 9-5s were always pretty handsome cars. I test drove a 9-5 Aero when my old Accord got flooded and I assumed that it was going to be totalled, and liked it a lot.

The 9-5 was the model that I was looking at.  Some time in the late 1990s, I noticed that they were really popular in my area, and that Saab had shed the egghead styling for which it was known in earlier years.  It was a pretty handsome car.  What dissuaded me from getting the car was stories I heard of major mechanical malfunctions when the car was relatively new.  There was this mentality that this was one of the "quirks" of owning a Saab, and that it was part of the car's charm.  I didn't really agree -- When I need to go somewhere, I want the car to start and get me there without incident, and I don't want to be doing major repairs when the car is a year or two old.

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on January 24, 2019, 03:55:42 PM
They have an ambition to go all zero pollution at some time, but it will depend on such cars being avilable in all segments. It will only affect new cars, though.

That sucks. I see the Greens are ru[ i ][n]ning your country as well!

Here there is serious talk of introducing speed limits on the Autobahn - a pathetic 130 km/h. How people are gonna stay away at that speed is beyond my understanding...  :tounge: :cry:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

How reasonably priced is reasonably priced?

Were the Japanese sports cars originally imported?

Laconian

Yikes, did someone crossbreed a FD with a S2000 there? Those fixed headlights aren't stock, are they?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on January 27, 2019, 03:06:39 PM
Yikes, did someone crossbreed a FD with a S2000 there? Those fixed headlights aren't stock, are they?

Later FDs had those but they aren't headlights- they still have popup headlights. Honestly I like those a lot, more than the earlier FD.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

GoCougs

I'm gonna go with whack focal length (probably short):

BimmerM3

Yearlier FDs had different shaped lights there too.

BimmerM3

mzziaz

I'd like to keep the budget at $15k for a low mileage, clean car. That rules out the Supra/Viper, I think. Not sure if I want to roll the dice on a rotary.

How about a mn12 Thunderbird?
Looks good, probably cheap, IRS, manual, V8 or supercharged V6:
Cuore Sportivo

Raza

Quote from: mzziaz on January 28, 2019, 10:48:44 AM
I'd like to keep the budget at $15k for a low mileage, clean car. That rules out the Supra/Viper, I think. Not sure if I want to roll the dice on a rotary.

Looks good? Mate, they were dated when they were new.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Its been a long time since I saw one of those that wasn't beat to hell and back.

I've never seen one with a stick; I see that one was offered, but never seen one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

The Cougar XR7 was the more attractive twin, also came with a stick.

BimmerM3

Quote from: mzziaz on January 28, 2019, 10:48:44 AM

Unless you just want something different for the sake of being different, save your money. Anything from that era under $15k that's worth the trouble of importing is already available in Europe.

Payman

What's the year cut-off? I see a few Pontiac GTOs, V8 + manual, in your price range. I think 2004 is the first year for them though.

Raza

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 28, 2019, 11:25:05 AM

It looks like a regular car backed into a Lego car.  Yikes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on January 28, 2019, 01:11:07 PM
What's the year cut-off? I see a few Pontiac GTOs, V8 + manual, in your price range. I think 2004 is the first year for them though.

Yeah, that'd be a good choice if it works.  Head and shoulders above the Mustang of that era.

What about a Trans Am?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

shp4man

I had the pleasure of putting a few miles on one of those Australian GTO's. Somebody traded it in. It was a stick, too. Lot's of fun.  :ohyeah:

Soup DeVille

LOL. That pick is taken right outside the studio for Grace & Wilde (an ad firm that works with cars)

(coincidentally a lot of screen shots of nav systems also show this address, or BBDO's on 8 mile in Farmington.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

That "formal roofline" looks like garbage.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550