Post your driveway/garage/carpark!

Started by TheIntrepid, October 05, 2007, 07:09:53 AM

Onslaught

When I was a kid we had a few good snows every winter. But nothing much to speak over of the last 20 or so years. Hell, if it snows in this town it just closes up so I don't have to go anyplace anyway.
I've got a Massey Ferguson tractor if I need to clean the driveway. Or pull the MX-5 out off it.

Eye of the Tiger

You guys just wait until I post pics of my mom's driveway. I almost pissed my pants one time when I had to back down because I couldn't make it up in the winter.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: The Pirate on October 06, 2007, 11:58:18 PM

Nice looking compound your folks have!  I love the long(ish) driveway and the plethora of trees and plants.  Makes it look nice and secluded.

When I'm a homeowner, I hope to have the same thing.  Digging the Volvo wagon too!

Thanks! It's nice being set back from the road, nobody can peep in your windows and see what you're up to and there's a lot less noise from the road. I miss the dead quiet when going to sleep these days, that's for sure.

Raza

Quote from: saxonyron on October 07, 2007, 10:13:46 PM
Nice!  Moving to the outback does take some getting used to.  I moved here 9 years ago (Oct. 4, 1998).  Before that, I'd always lived in suburbia, around 50 feet from the next house, and always near a highway.  Now my nearest neighbor is 150 ft away, and beyond him, I can't see any other houses.  I'm 15 minutes of beautiful country roads from me to the highway and the city, and when the sun goes down, my neighborhood is pitch black.  Took some getting used to!  Now I can't imagine moving back to a suburban neighborhood.  It's addictive!

And I see you're in NC - no snow to plow down there.  Makes a long driveway much more palatable!

Whew...that's shotgun territory.  I wouldn't feel comfortable without guns around me, being that far removed from society.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

saxonyron

got plenty of guns around here.  But the facts speak for themselves - you really don't need them.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

I mean out in my town, we haven't had a violent crime in ages.  As for guns, I think everyone should own a few, just to exercise that 2nd Amendment and all.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raghavan

I'm just scared that if i live out in the middle of nowhere, i'll get robbed or something as i'd be an easy target.

Minpin

Quote from: Raghavan on October 07, 2007, 10:58:59 PM
I'm just scared that if i live out in the middle of nowhere, i'll get robbed or something as i'd be an easy target.

A remark coming from someone who has lived in or near a big city their whole life. I wish ?I could take you to my grandparents place, you would drastically change your opinion, I promise.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raghavan

Quote from: Minpin on October 07, 2007, 11:01:34 PM
A remark coming from someone who has lived in or near a big city their whole life. I wish ?I could take you to my grandparents place, you would drastically change your opinion, I promise.
I probably would, but you're right, I've lived in suburbs/cities my entire life. I'm always used to having someone else's house 20 feet away from mine.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raghavan on October 07, 2007, 11:02:50 PM
I probably would, but you're right, I've lived in suburbs/cities my entire life. I'm always used to having someone else's house 20 10 feet away from mine.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

I've never had an issue with feeling safe, not even when they were doing that manhunt in my county and a sheriff drove by shining a spot light into our front pasture. Okay, so maybe I double checked the door that time, but half the time we don't lock our cars or our house and have never had any issues.

The Pirate

Just have to worry about bears and stuff.  :lol:

True story though, there was a peeping tom black bear at my parent's house.  It'd stand outside the bathroom window, and stare inside.  This went on for a good couple of weeks, and I happened to be home visiting at one point.  Few things in life are more creepy than taking a leak and looking out the window to discover a bear staring at you intently!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colonel Cadillac

Huh? If you're out in the middle of nowhere, there are fewer crazies...

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on October 07, 2007, 11:11:44 PM

Just have to worry about bears and stuff.  :lol:

True story though, there was a peeping tom black bear at my parent's house.  It'd stand outside the bathroom window, and stare inside.  This went on for a good couple of weeks, and I happened to be home visiting at one point.  Few things in life are more creepy than taking a leak and looking out the window to discover a bear staring at you intently!

:mask:  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Onslaught

I know it looks like I'm in the sticks but it's actually not like that anymore. When I was a kid this area was country but with the urban sprawl going on from Charlotte this area is nothing but neighborhoods these days. I just happen to have about 10 acres that haven't had 100 homes stuck on it so it just looks like I'm in the sticks. Wish it was still country in this area but it's not anymore. About 15-20 years ago we didn't lock our doors at night here. We do now.

J86

Ha, when I'm at home I leave the car keys in the ignition so I dont lose them :lol:

We've gone out cruising for the weekend, come home, and gone 'who forgot to clsoe the front door'....I think all crime in my neighborhood was a direct result of my friends and I when I was in highschool...

JYODER240

I feel much safer being in a more rural setting. Even though my Xbox was stolen last year, but that was kids. Although I'd rather try to rob any house in Compton before I'd try to rob a farmer around here.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

I've never understood people who don't lock things.  I lock everything at all times. 

I wouldn't feel safe in the middle of nowhere with no people around.  Like, when I'm at school, I have no qualms about popping out at 4AM to get something to eat or get a smoke or something like that, but when I'm at home, I wouldn't dream of it, and even then that's not rural, it's a suburb.  We only have an acre of land, with good lines of sight.  I wouldn't feel safe on a larger plot of land. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I don't really have a problem leaving things unlocked. If someone is planning on breaking into your house a locked door isn't going to stop them. I definently feel safer being in the middle of nowhere than being it a city. Who's going to mess with you out there?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 08, 2007, 11:46:29 AM
I don't really have a problem leaving things unlocked. If someone is planning on breaking into your house a locked door isn't going to stop them. I definently feel safer being in the middle of nowhere than being it a city. Who's going to mess with you out there?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Meth-addicted hicks make the middle of nowhere a less safe place to be.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colonel Cadillac

I live in a pretty suburban area and I would definitely feel less safe in a more urban area. We lock everything and set the security system regularly though.

850CSi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 08, 2007, 02:24:46 PM
I live in a pretty suburban area and I would definitely feel less safe in a more urban area. We lock everything and set the security system regularly though.

I'm a lot more careful here at school than I am at home. Although, to be fair, I'm usually not walking around at 4am at home. But Evanston is a weird place. There are $5 million homes all over campus, but if you walk a couple blocks into downtown Evanston (amid expensive condos and high-rise apartments), you will find homeless people sleeping on benches. If you head further south, you get into some slightly shady neighborhoods in southern Evanston and the northern edege of Chicago. We were at IHOP the other day at 4am and saw a crack whore outside. Head west past the train tracks that sort of divide the city and it's a much more middle-class area than the insanely expensive properties near the lake. Head north and you find yourself in Winnetka and Wilmette, two of Chicago's most expensive suburbs (Winnetka is among the highest cities in the nation for average housing price).

We have officers in all of our dorms with 100+ people from 8pm to 5am every night because we've had so many problems in the past with homeless people getting in and knocking out for days at a time in a dorm basement or something like that. And late at night on my side of campus it gets really, really quiet because all of the fraternities are up at the northern part of campus.

Onslaught

My area is filled with relatives. Even my road is named after my family's last name so I have no fear of being "alone." That and we have enough guns to start a small army and everyone knows how to use them including my grandmother.
If someone did something wrong on my land they better shot me first.

Champ

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2007, 11:31:42 AM
I've never understood people who don't lock things.  I lock everything at all times. 

I wouldn't feel safe in the middle of nowhere with no people around.  Like, when I'm at school, I have no qualms about popping out at 4AM to get something to eat or get a smoke or something like that, but when I'm at home, I wouldn't dream of it, and even then that's not rural, it's a suburb.  We only have an acre of land, with good lines of sight.  I wouldn't feel safe on a larger plot of land. 
Paranoia.

Come live in MN everyone is calm.  I never locked my dorm room, apartment room, or house.  Currently still don't lock things.

Shit, I've got more problems with people sitting on my motorcycle than if I leave my car unlocked.

saxonyron

I know crime can happen anywhere, but let's face it, the vast majority takes place in urban areas.  Give me my dirt road.  I'll take my chances with the bears.

And Pirate, maybe that peeping tom bear was just waiting in line.  He may be the one bear that doesn't shit in the woods.  :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: Champ on October 08, 2007, 03:27:45 PM
Paranoia.

Come live in MN everyone is calm.  I never locked my dorm room, apartment room, or house.  Currently still don't lock things.

Shit, I've got more problems with people sitting on my motorcycle than if I leave my car unlocked.

If I lived where Onslaught lives, I would have to carry a loaded shotgun with me at all times to feel safe.  This world is full of crazy, dangerous, white people who would have no problem slashing your throat and eating your toes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

saxonyron

Quote from: Onslaught on October 08, 2007, 03:27:17 PM
My area is filled with relatives. Even my road is named after my family's last name so I have no fear of being "alone." That and we have enough guns to start a small army and everyone knows how to use them including my grandmother.
If someone did something wrong on my land they better shot me first.

LMAO at your grandma.  Way to go! :ohyeah:

And we don't lock up too much around here either, although when we go to bed at night, I'll usually do that.  A doberman, a cat that can get mean, and a small cache of weapons is more than enough security for me.  My buddy from Miami thinks I'm nuts.  He's always telling me how to secure my house better with double keyed locks, bars, etc.  I tell him, if someone wants to really get in and rob me, they will.  Might as well not have him bust up my doors and windows getting into the place!  And if I'm home, the sound of the slide on my Sig 226 would probably be enough deterrent. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2007, 03:30:37 PM
If I lived where Onslaught lives, I would have to carry a loaded shotgun with me at all times to feel safe.  This world is full of crazy, dangerous, white people who would have no problem slashing your throat and eating your toes.
I live right next to a city. I can be in downtown Charlotte in less than 20 minutes if need be.  I have homes all around me now that the unwanted Yankees moved down hear and stacked their homes on top of each other. I just happened to have some of the land that's been in the family from before the Revolutionary war. I've fenced it in and don't have other homes right on top of me.

Onslaught

I grew up in the sticks and lived in this area for 23 years. The I lived in the downtown Charlotte area for 10 years before moving back to this very different area 6 months ago.
I feel much safer here then I did in the city. I've never had to pull a gun on someone in this area. I did have to do it one time in downtown.
I can say that I do miss looking at all the ass running around at the bars. But I have more money now that it's a farther drive to go get it.