Post your driveway/garage/carpark!

Started by TheIntrepid, October 05, 2007, 07:09:53 AM

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on October 09, 2007, 08:46:03 PM
The improvements that your parents did didn't cost a lot.  From an investment perspective, the only one I'd argue with is the finished basement.  Generally, finished basements don't increase the value of a home.  Otherwise, it's important from a value perspective to keep the house up to date.  They spent next to nothing in the kitchen -- I spent close to $50,000 on my kitchen because it had to be completely redone.

That's one damn expensive kitchen.  If it doesn't so much as cook your food for you, you got ripped off.

Other than that, yeah, I pretty much agree with Dave.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: dazzleman on October 09, 2007, 08:46:03 PM
Trep, you have to realize that a bigger and more expensive house is a financial burden that your dad may not want.

When I bought my current house, my mortgage broker told me that I could have been approved for a much bigger mortgage, and hence I could have had a more expensive house.

But other things are more important to me, like having the prospect of retiring young, and being able to spend freely on things other than my house.  I didn't want a house that was more expensive than I needed to force me onto a tight budget, and keep me working longer.

You probably won't understand until you're your dad's age, but when you overdo possessions, house included, it ends up that they own you, rather than the other way around.  He actually sounds pretty sensible in resisting the temptation to take his expense base up to the highest level possible.  Few people today are able to resist that temptation, and that's why so many people are deeply in debt and have to keep working their balls off to pay off all their bills.

The improvements that your parents did didn't cost a lot.  From an investment perspective, the only one I'd argue with is the finished basement.  Generally, finished basements don't increase the value of a home.  Otherwise, it's important from a value perspective to keep the house up to date.  They spent next to nothing in the kitchen -- I spent close to $50,000 on my kitchen because it had to be completely redone.

The finished basement wasn't to add value to the home. None of the stuff was. They intend to retire here, which I don't like the idea of. I've always been the type to want to be realtively close to my parents. I intend to live in the US somewhere practicing law, and I'd like them to be in the same town. I know it's clingy but it's the way I am.

My parents improved the house because these things were things they wanted/needed to make our stay here more comfortable. The basement because they have many Indian cultural poetry readings and small concerts (100-200 people) down there. The kitchen because the original one was odd looking. The backyard because my dad is an avid gardener. The hardwood because of my allergies to dust and stuff.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2007, 08:57:01 PM
That's one damn expensive kitchen.  If it doesn't so much as cook your food for you, you got ripped off.

Other than that, yeah, I pretty much agree with Dave.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I didn't get ripped off at all.  That's pretty typical for what people will spend on a kitchen for a higher-end house around here.  Many people have spent more.

I needed all new floors, extensive electrical and plumbing work, all new appliances, cabinets, counters, etc.  I went pretty high end for all of it since that is what the market in my neighborhood requires for good resale.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 09, 2007, 08:58:30 PM
The finished basement wasn't to add value to the home. None of the stuff was. They intend to retire here, which I don't like the idea of. I've always been the type to want to be realtively close to my parents. I intend to live in the US somewhere practicing law, and I'd like them to be in the same town. I know it's clingy but it's the way I am.

My parents improved the house because these things were things they wanted/needed to make our stay here more comfortable. The basement because they have many Indian cultural poetry readings and small concerts (100-200 people) down there. The kitchen because the original one was odd looking. The backyard because my dad is an avid gardener. The hardwood because of my allergies to dust and stuff.

What they did makes sense to me, for the most part.  If they intend to stay, they should fix up the house whatever way they want.

You really can't expect them to move wherever you go.  It sounds as if they have their own life where they are.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Seems like you're frustrated because your parents are doing what they want to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 09, 2007, 09:01:23 PM
Seems like you're frustrated because your parents are doing what they want to.

I'm frustrated because I don't know how it'll be living in a different town. I don't know how I'll be able to handle it, if at all. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TheIntrepid on October 09, 2007, 09:15:07 PM
I'm frustrated because I don't know how it'll be living in a different town. I don't know how I'll be able to handle it, if at all. :huh:

That's life for you. First you do, then you know.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11469.msg598551#msg598551 date=1191984932
Yes, that should make me feel very comfortable.

My point is as long as your don't go running your mouth you'll be fine. A lot better off that many parts of major cities in the US. Crime in this area consists of someone writing a bad check, or someone stole a lawnmower. Never anything violent.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 09, 2007, 09:30:14 PM
My point is as long as your don't go running your mouth you'll be fine. A lot better off that many parts of major cities in the US. Crime in this area consists of someone writing a bad check, or someone stole a lawnmower. Never anything violent.

Just so you know, Jordan, outside of Ohio, Ohio is the butt of a lot of people's jokes.  Most of them are unsubstantiated, but some of them really are justified.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2007, 09:37:20 PM
Just so you know, Jordan, outside of Ohio, Ohio is the butt of a lot of people's jokes.  Most of them are unsubstantiated, but some of them really are justified.

The majority of that is from Michigan and Pennsylvania, most likely b/c of the Browns/Steelers and OSU/Michigan rivaleries.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 09, 2007, 09:30:14 PM

I don't want to live some place where I have to live in fear of what I might say.  When have you known me not to run my mouth?

You just told me that a lot of those people would want to beat me to death, but probably won't. 

That's fucking bullshit.  At least in the civilized part of the United States people keep their racism to themselves.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

I agree with Raza. I worked the night shift in a black community in L.A. and was less scared there than I was driving through some small towns in rural Georgia at night. That, and people in south central L.A. don't label their handguns "cracker killers"

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11469.msg598699#msg598699 date=1191988269
I don't want to live some place where I have to live in fear of what I might say.  When have you known me not to run my mouth?

You just told me that a lot of those people would want to beat me to death, but probably won't. 

That's fucking bullshit.  At least in the civilized part of the United States people keep their racism to themselves.

They don't want to beat you to death, they talk like they do because they think it's the cool thing to do, but they'd never do it to your face. They talk the talk because it fits in with their pickup trucks, confederate flags, camo, and country music. There was one black kid in the entire school system and he was 2 grades below me and never once did he have any problems. Like Teuton said I went to half redneck half preppy high school. Obvisously I can't speak for all of redneck America but I can say with confidence that if you lived in my town you would never have a problem.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on October 09, 2007, 09:51:09 PM

Just because a place is rural doesn't mean it's full of racists.

JYODER240

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/usrv98.htm

-The average annual 1993-98 violent crime rate in urban areas was about 74% higher than the rural rate and 37% higher than  the suburban rate.

-Although most violent crimes in urban (60%), suburban (68%), and rural (70%) areas were committed without a weapon, firearm usage in the commission of a violent crime was higher in urban areas when compared to suburban or rural areas (12% urban versus 9% suburban and 8% rural).

-Property crimes were generally completed at higher rates against urban households than against suburban or rural households.

-Urban violent crime victims were more likely than suburban or rural crime victims to be victimized by a stranger (respectively, 53%, 47%, and 34% of violent crime victims).

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on October 09, 2007, 10:12:15 PM
Just because a place is rural doesn't mean it's full of racists.

You're absolutely right, except that everyone is a racist.  What you meant to say is "Just because a place is rural doesn't mean it's full of blatant racists".  Which is absolutely true.  But, it's easier to play it safe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on October 09, 2007, 10:12:36 PM
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/usrv98.htm

-The average annual 1993-98 violent crime rate in urban areas was about 74% higher than the rural rate and 37% higher than  the suburban rate.

-Although most violent crimes in urban (60%), suburban (68%), and rural (70%) areas were committed without a weapon, firearm usage in the commission of a violent crime was higher in urban areas when compared to suburban or rural areas (12% urban versus 9% suburban and 8% rural).

-Property crimes were generally completed at higher rates against urban households than against suburban or rural households.

-Urban violent crime victims were more likely than suburban or rural crime victims to be victimized by a stranger (respectively, 53%, 47%, and 34% of violent crime victims).

More people in cities, greater density.  There's a story behind every number. 

You can live in your Klan meeting if you like.  I don't feel safe in a room full of white sheets.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I think this might be the most self centered thing I have ever read.

I am really not sure what you are complaining about, other than not wanting to be away from your parents (which is your problem and something that I can not understand at all, I have been planning to move away from home for as long as I can remember, maybe it is cultural). Really the changes they've made are all quite reasonable and 3000 sq ft is plenty of room for soon to be empty nesters. Additionally, 13 years old is the perfect age to start remodeling a home (providing it was originally built with an up to date sense of style).

My parents just built a new house on a 75 acre parcel of land, with the idea of retiring to it in mind. No, it isn't my cup of tea by any imagination nor is it the smartest move financially (very, very specialized, to the point where it is worth less than it cost to build), but that doesn't matter as I only will be living here for one more year and for short visits after that. In the mean time I get my own private guest house (precisely the thing that I think is money out of the window. Of course since they plan on living here for 30+ years that doesn't matter).

Rupert

Yeah... "So long as you don't run your mouth, you'll be fine"? Assuming that's true, that pretty much implies that the asshole hicks won't do anything unless "the nigger deserved it". Sounds pretty fucking dumb to me. And even if that is exaggeration, it's a pretty strong indication that you've got a bunch of dickwads for neighbors. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on October 09, 2007, 10:15:52 PM

You can live in your Klan meeting if you like.  I don't feel safe in a room full of white sheets.
You once watched "Birth of a Nation" late at night while high on coke, didn't you?

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on October 09, 2007, 08:57:01 PM

$50k pretty much seems to be the entry price for a top of the line kitchen (pretty much everything costs at least $10k: professional grade appliances, granite counter tops, custom cabinets).

There are people who spend $100k+ on kitchens.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on October 09, 2007, 10:23:11 PM
You once watched "Birth of a Nation" late at night while high on coke, didn't you?

No comment. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 09, 2007, 10:23:25 PM
$50k pretty much seems to be the entry price for a top of the line kitchen (pretty much everything costs at least $10k: professional grade appliances, granite counter tops, custom cabinets).

There are people who spend $100k+ on kitchens.

Our kitchen was about 100K when we remodeled it. 

Contractor nightmare.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

[sweeping generalization]

Anyone who spends fifty grand on ONE PIDDLY-ASS ROOM in their house is insane.

[/sweeping generalization]

(Keeping in mind I also think 2000 sq. ft. is ridiculously huge for anything less than a six member family.)

sandertheshark

Quote from: 93JC on October 09, 2007, 10:29:26 PM

(Keeping in mind I also think 2000 sq. ft. is ridiculously huge for anything less than a six member family.)
[looks around empty 2100sq.ft. house.]

TBR

I don't know how much ours ran when we built it, but I'd guess less than $20k since we used ceramic tile instead of granite, bought stainless steel but non-professional grade appliances (I never have understood why those enormous 6-8 burner stoves are so popular, how many people actually use that many burners?),  and the labor (the big factor in the cost of cabinets) is a lot cheaper here.

JYODER240

Quote from: Psilos on October 09, 2007, 10:21:52 PM
Yeah... "So long as you don't run your mouth, you'll be fine"? Assuming that's true, that pretty much implies that the asshole hicks won't do anything unless "the nigger deserved it". Sounds pretty fucking dumb to me. And even if that is exaggeration, it's a pretty strong indication that you've got a bunch of dickwads for neighbors. ;)

If I went out and started running my mouth I would get beat up too. They'd call me a "rich preppy" or something along those lines. They're going to go after you for whatever they can at that point.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11469.msg598753#msg598753 date=1191989752

Even still wouldn't that mean less crime occurs in rural settings, hence making it a safer place to live.

Have you actually spent time in a rural area or are you just basing these judgments on how you think things are?

Rupert

Right... And I want to live near the fucknuts, why?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Quote from: sandertheshark on October 09, 2007, 10:31:05 PM
[looks around empty 2100sq.ft. house.]

:lol:

Honestly though: why?!
Single guy, no plans for a signifcant other (?), no plans for kids (?): WTF do you need a 2100 sq. ft. house for? Certainly can't be 'room', you don't need that. You're just one man, you shouldn't have enough possessions to fill you whole house...

I REALLY don't get it.