Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2008, 03:34:04 PM

Wich would you choose?

Hardtop
14 (48.3%)
Convertible
15 (51.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Gotta-Qik-C7

Wich do you prefer? I want to know what the rest of you guys think. As you can see I perfer convertibles.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

J86

93JC

Living where I live now? Hard top for sure.

If I lived somewhere with nice weather (Maui here I come baby, woooo)? I might consider a drop top.

Minpin

Depends. My general rule of thub us that if the car is only offered as a convertible, I like it. If it has a hardtop counterpart I generally dislike it. There are a few exceptions though. The Gallardo fir instance I love in vert form but I don't really care for it in hardtop. Consequently I can't decide which to vote for.  :lol:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

I'm not generally a fan of soft-tops.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I prefer hardtops, at least in my situation. My Miata's HT has a huge wrap-around rear windshield that makes changing lanes less stressful. The soft top has a small POS rear window made out of plastic. I think the car looks great with the HT on, too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

What's with everyone complaining about visibility out the back window of a CONVERTIBLE!? Put the top down and you see everthing. It's a convertible! It has more visibility than anything short of a motorcycle. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on January 19, 2008, 04:49:30 PM
What's with everyone complaining about visibility out the back window of a CONVERTIBLE!? Put the top down and you see everthing. It's a convertible! It has more visibility than anything short of a motorcycle. :lol:

Should you be driving in the rain, you kind of have to have the top up unless you don't mind getting soaked and ruining your interior.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

As a general rule I prefer hardtops, but there are many many exceptions.

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on January 19, 2008, 04:51:43 PM
Should you be driving in the rain, you kind of have to have the top up unless you don't mind getting soaked and ruining your interior.

Small price to pay for a brief inconvenience. It's suited to some climates and not others.

I know there's reasons to have the top up, otherwise it wouldn't come with one, period. I was half-joking in my previous post, hence the -> :lol:

But I think I make a good point. Hopefully, most of the driving will happen with the top-down, in which case, visibility is far superior than under a fixed roof.

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on January 19, 2008, 05:08:05 PM
But I think I make a good point. Hopefully, most of the driving will happen with the top-down, in which case, visibility is far superior than under a fixed roof.

Yeah. I put on the HT around late November and keep it on until late February. But the rest of the time the car is topless, and the top only goes up when it's raining or the car is parked.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on January 19, 2008, 05:20:56 PM
Yeah. I put on the HT around late November and keep it on until late February. But the rest of the time the car is topless, and the top only goes up when it's raining or the car is parked.

I scared the shit out of people backing up with the top off in my 4Runner. :lol:

The Pirate

Depends on the car.  In something like a Mustang or a 'Vette, I'd go for the hardtop.  I'd take a Boxster over a Cayman, and I'd rather like an XK8 droptop.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

I for one mourn the loss of the great American full-sized six-passenger convertible on a daily basis.

However, I'd still love to see a fixed-hardtop S2000 or Miata.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Depends on the car.  In something like a Mini, I'd take it in a hard top.  In an XK8, I'd take a convertible.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on January 19, 2008, 11:37:32 PM

When those came out, i thought they were so cool.

Of course only a couple of years later,you'd see them and the tops would be duct-taped and cracking.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

rohan

Quote from: MX793 on January 19, 2008, 04:51:43 PM
Only if your're driving in the city or at slow speeds- at highway speed the rain just goes right over the passenger compartment on my Cobra and never hits anything except the hard boot cover.  I have both hartop and convertible and both on performance cars- I like the hardtop for long drives because it's quietre and the the droptop for trips under 30 miles.  I drive both during the winter.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

I like completely fixed roofs.  No sunroofs, no targas. 

Minpin

Quote from: 565 on January 21, 2008, 04:16:14 PM
I like completely fixed roofs.  No sunroofs, no targas. 

I don't like sunroofs either. My whole damn roof is glass and it gets annoying as hell during the summer. The covers don't help, at all.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

SVT666

Hardtop.  No sunroofs either.  I tend to keep the cover closed on our sunroof all the time because the sun keeps beating down through it and getting in my eyes or heating up the interior.  Hardtop all the way.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 21, 2008, 05:44:50 PM
Hardtop.  No sunroofs either.  I tend to keep the cover closed on our sunroof all the time because the sun keeps beating down through it and getting in my eyes or heating up the interior.  Hardtop all the way.

Why did you buy a sunroof if you don't like theM?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

2o6

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2008, 06:52:50 PM
Hardtop. I have athsma. (sp?)

Asthma, and that's a terrible reason for liking hardtops better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 21, 2008, 07:23:14 PM
Asthma, and that's a terrible reason for liking hardtops better.

Wind infurates this. Roller costers are fine (Cause they're relatively short) but just riding around with the top down can cause me to gasp for air.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on January 21, 2008, 07:29:56 PM

Wind infurates this. Roller costers are fine (Cause they're relatively short) but just riding around with the top down can cause me to gasp for air.

Wind infurates this? Do you not have windscreens in your country?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

Why don't you guys go buy Camrys? God-forbid you're slightly uncomfortable from the sunlight coming through your sunroof.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*