Started by r0tor, April 21, 2008, 10:47:06 AM

Which do you prefer...

Mayo
17 (65.4%)
Miracle Whip
9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 24

r0tor

I was raised on Miracle Whip.  I still prefer Miracle Whip over traditional mayo in almost every circumstance.  Be it in tuna salad, macaroni salad, a ham sammich, or on top of a burger with lettuce and tomatoe - I reach for Miracle Whip.  The only application that i've heard of Miracle Whip being inferior to mayo is in a mayonaise cake... however, I've never had a mayonaise cake in my life, so its really a moot point to me.  Not only does it taste better, but Miracle Whip is also much healthier and less troublesome with food poisoning! 

Miracle Whip FTW!!  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Miracle Whip is too unnatural tasting for me.  And real mayo is pretty unnatural as is.  I don't dislike Miracle Whip, but I'll take mayo over it if I have a choice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Mayo.  Miracle Whip is too sweet.  It's laced with sugar.

omicron

I have no idea what Miracle Whip is, but the traditional rich mayonnaise my grandmother used to make was like nothing else on this planet.

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 21, 2008, 10:53:55 AM
Mayo.  Miracle Whip is too sweet.  It's laced with sugar.

with 1/4 of the fat of mayo, i think its worth it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on April 21, 2008, 11:28:51 AM
with 1/4 of the fat of mayo, i think its worth it
You would rather have a boat load of sugar then some fat?  Not me.

The Pirate

Mayo for me, generally.  I do prefer Miracle Whip for turkey sammiches, but that's it. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

We always had Miracle Whip when I was growing up, but I'll eat mayo too. It doesn't matter to me.

Generally though, I avoid either unless it's in a recipe (tuna salad, etc...).

Mayo on a sandwhich? Gross. Spicy mustard FTW! :rockon: I also look for unusual spreads: rasberry chipotle aioli, sundried tomato and basil; basically anything to mix it up.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Byteme

Miracle Whip.

Real Mayo is like chomping down on a lard sandwich.

FoMoJo

I like a good dijon flavoured mayo maybe once a year slathered on a thick chunk of ham wedged between a couple of slices of hand cut pumpernickel...Easter leftovers.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on April 21, 2008, 01:10:19 PM

Real Mayo is like chomping down on a lard sandwich.
I disagree :huh:.  Any condiment made from a mixture of vegetable oil and egg yolk pales in comparison to bread fried in bacon fat ;).  Having a mother who grew up in rural Scotland, this was a breakfeast staple when we were kids.  I still crave it once in a while.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Middle_Path

Miracle Whip, the high fructose corn syrup and water spread. Mayo + Italian dressing on my sandwich. Miracle whip or mayo on a burger is a felony here. Ketchup too can get the hell out. Other than fried foods if I want it to have a tomato flavor then I'll put on some freaking tomato, thank you.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

2o6

Miracle whip on sandwiches.....Mayonaise in things such as potato salad.

NomisR

Kewpie FTW

American mayo is just too sour.. reeks of vinegar..

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on April 21, 2008, 03:18:16 PM
Kewpie FTW

American mayo is just too sour.. reeks of vinegar..

Why is there a picture of a baby on it?

Is it made of babies?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2008, 03:23:40 PM
Why is there a picture of a baby on it?

Is it made of babies?

I guess it's named after

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewpie

Middle_Path

I was waiting for it. Somehow I knew it had to be Nomis that would bring up kewpie. Do you have a list of ingredients Nomis because I can't find them and I'm not driving to the little Japanese grocery store to get some. I think it's basically mayo with some msg for umami, right?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Mayo with slightly less vinegar and MSG. Seems to be missing mustard and lemon juice. Slightly different spices, but pretty much the same. Also, I think I will go pick up some kewpie and curry boxes.  :praise:

NomisR

I can't find it either, I'll check to see if I have any at home but i think it's usually rice vinegar w/ MSG

J86

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 21, 2008, 11:51:09 AM
You would rather have a boat load of sugar then some fat?  Not me.

in 1 tbsp of Miracle Whip has 2g of sugar and regular mayo has 1g -shrug-

Raza

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 21, 2008, 03:45:23 PM
I was waiting for it. Somehow I knew it had to be Nomis that would bring up kewpie. Do you have a list of ingredients Nomis because I can't find them and I'm not driving to the little Japanese grocery store to get some. I think it's basically mayo with some msg for umami, right?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. Mayo with slightly less vinegar and MSG. Seems to be missing mustard and lemon juice. Slightly different spices, but pretty much the same. Also, I think I will go pick up some kewpie and curry boxes.  :praise:

Isn't MSG bad for you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

Anything even remotely related to mayo is disgusting.  Sorry.

Middle_Path

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2008, 05:37:16 PM
Isn't MSG bad for you?

I believe it has some negative effects on me. Makes me tired and dehydrated depending on the amount. I avoid it, but it's the best way to bring out the savory, or umami, flavor in food. Alot of food may not have MSG, but it still has similar gluatamates. The jury is still out if it's bad for you. Scientifically I'd say no, but personally I'd say yes.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14328.msg808740#msg808740 date=1208821036
Isn't MSG bad for you?

Yeah. Absolutely.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 21, 2008, 06:14:44 PM
Yeah. Absolutely.

I smoke, drink, and eat undercooked meat.  I'm at my quota for voluntarily harming myself with long-run vices.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

redbloodedamerican

CASE 1: Mayonnaise

About three days ago, I bought a 40 fl. oz. jar of MAYO REAL MAYONNAISE by KRAFT because it was on sale at $1.99 a jar. Best Foods' mayonnaise was also on sale at $2.50 for a 32 fl. oz. jar. I thought I'd give KRAFT's mayonaise a try.

Well. . . I'm very disappointed. It doesn't taste like mayonnaise to me. The color is suspicious. It's too whitish to have been made with eggs. I looked at the list of ingredients on the label on the back of the jar. It says, "CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF EGG YOLKS. . . ."

What? Less than 2%? Aren't eggs the most important ingredient of mayonnaise? The following is the ingredient list from the recipe for mayonnaise dressing in LADIE'S HOME JOURNAL ADVENTURES IN COOKING (:

quote:
    2 egg yolks or 1 egg
    1 cup salad oil
    1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
    1 tablespoon hot water

These ingredients should yield about 1 and 1/4 cups of mayonnaise. One egg is about 1/4 of a cup. Let's suppose one egg yolk is one half of that, 1/8 of a cup. Then the egg yolk represents 10% of the mayonnaise made with the above ingredients. If two egg yolks are used, they represent 20%.

I don't think MAYO REAL MAYONNAISE by KRAFT qualifies as real mayonnaise.

Can somebody check the egg yolk content of Best Foods' mayonnaise? Theirs may be higher than KRAFT's.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Miracle Whip!  :wub: I put that shit on everything. Hoagies,steak-um,burgers,tunafish, basically anything with bread! Hell,when I was young I made Miracle Whip sammiches! Mayo will do when my first love is not around.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide