Edmunds: 2009 A4 3.2 Quattro vs 2008 MB C350

Started by SJ_GTI, June 09, 2008, 02:24:41 PM

SJ_GTI

Link to article:
A4 vs C350

Some selective quotes:

Although the Mercedes-Benz C350 trailed the BMW 335i in our last comparison test, the C-Class in its current guise represents an exclamation point of goodness in this market segment. Besting the C350 requires a car with enough talents to achieve critical mass.

Weird that they would take the loser from a previous comparo to use as a benchmark. I am guessing they just took what was available.

...Yet this feel of mechanical gravitas doesn't come at the price of sheer weight, as the 3,621-pound Benz is 250 pounds lighter than the Audi A4.

This works to the Benz's advantage in straight-line acceleration, where the baby Benz just plain thrashes the A4. The 60-mph mark comes up in 6.3 seconds (6.0 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip), fully 0.6 second quicker than the A4. Similarly, the Benz sails through the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds at 96.5 mph, a half-second quicker than the Audi.

The A4 3.2 Quattro seems slow. Slower then the 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro. I am also disappointed in the weight, because Audi originally claimed the new A4 would be lighter then the outgoing model.

Click Dynamic mode and the whole car instantly snaps to attention, providing the A4 with a selection of direct, quick responses that the C350 can't deliver. There's a lot of body control in this mode, plus the new A4's improved weight distribution keeps the outside front tire from being abused as much as before.

On the road, the Audi's tires give up long before the chassis loses its poise, so driving at the limit of adhesion is ridiculously easy. Oversteer remains off the menu, though this new A4's handling balance is more neutral than ever before, so you can toss it into the corners ? a dynamic that contributes to its solid 70 mph in the slalom.

This sounds promising. That is a pretty fast slalom time.

The A4's interior has a much richer appearance than the C350's functionally sound but visually ascetic surroundings. And the Audi offers way more equipment, which is crucial in our scoring. In addition to the aforementioned multimode dampers and all-wheel drive, the A4 offers a back-up camera and parking proximity sensors, shift paddles on the steering wheel, adaptive cruise control and a lane departure warning system. None of these features are offered on the Benz.

Sounds good. I haven't seen it in person but I love the new A4 interior in pictures.

And for those of you too lazy to follow the link, here are some pics:

Overall both sound nice. I have to say I dig the C350 from the outside. It looks very nice. The inside isn't bad, but its all business. The A4 seemed like a nicer package. Great exterior and interior. However, I would only go for the 2.0T w/ 6MT version.

Vinsanity

One of my good friends is shopping these two cars at the moment (although it would more likely be a C300 vs. 2.0T). The M-B seems to be more her style, but she's leaning toward the Audi more because she's been told that there were too many corners cut when developing the new C-class. Can anyone corroborate?

Although I do like the Audi's interior better. I checked out the C-class interior at the LA auto show a while back, and it was no better than the one in my CTS

Cookie Monster

Why does the Audi weigh close to 3,900 lbs? I thought it'd be a lot lighter than that...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 09, 2008, 02:24:41 PM

The A4 3.2 Quattro seems slow. Slower then the 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro. I am also disappointed in the weight, because Audi originally claimed the new A4 would be lighter then the outgoing model.

Based on acceleration times of past A4 and A3 models, I've never been able to figure out why anyone would pay up for the 3.2 over the 2.0T.

Raza

When I drove the B7, the 3.2 didn't seem all that peppy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on June 09, 2008, 04:58:21 PM
Based on acceleration times of past A4 and A3 models, I've never been able to figure out why anyone would pay up for the 3.2 over the 2.0T.

Agreed 100%.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

More cylinders, more prestige.  That and, at least with the A3, the only way to get AWD is to pony up for the 3.2.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: MX793 on June 09, 2008, 08:05:08 PM
More cylinders, more prestige.  That and, at least with the A3, the only way to get AWD is to pony up for the 3.2.

Oh no, not another prestige battle....

With the A4, you can get AWD with the 2.0T. It's a better powerplant.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on June 09, 2008, 08:05:08 PM

That's true in the A3's case ... unfortunately in my case, that would make me just forget about the AWD.  Not worth ponying up for AWD for that car when you gotta pay for the 3.2 on top of it.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 09, 2008, 08:28:10 PM
That's true in the A3's case ... unfortunately in my case, that would make me just forget about the AWD.  Not worth ponying up for AWD for that car when you gotta pay for the 3.2 on top of it.

That kills the A3 for me completely.  The 2.0T is just a GTI with some fancy clothes.  I even think the GTI looks better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

I love the new C class and E Class.

IMO mercedes is on the ball with these cars, i've always been more of a BMW fan(and then a Audi fan) but if i were shopping the luxury segment(anywhere from 30k up to 90K) i would most likely end up at a benz dealer. The newer BMW's are akward compared to the previous cars that IMO attained perfection before the bangle designs trickled down. Audi's are looking good but the interiors(the big charm for me) are alittle too busy for me and don't have a classic flow like the audi interiors of the past, the exterior designs are very good though.

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 09, 2008, 02:57:49 PM
One of my good friends is shopping these two cars at the moment (although it would more likely be a C300 vs. 2.0T). The M-B seems to be more her style, but she's leaning toward the Audi more because she's been told that there were too many corners cut when developing the new C-class. Can anyone corroborate?

Shes been told wrong.  Both examples I drove felt solid, and never missed a step when it came to excited moves on the roads.  Furthermore, I have not read one review commenting on lackluster build or R&D. 

Although I do like the Audi's interior better. I checked out the C-class interior at the LA auto show a while back, and it was no better than the one in my CTS

Oh please.  Even if it's styling was repulsive, the build quality is still eons ahead.  The CTS always had the drive spot on, but not the build. 

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on June 09, 2008, 09:50:14 PM

I don't know what eon you're living in, but the Benz's interior is nothing to write home about.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Rich

Quote from: Submariner on June 09, 2008, 09:50:14 PM
Shes been told wrong.  Both examples I drove felt solid, and never missed a step when it came to excited moves on the roads.  Furthermore, I have not read one review commenting on lackluster build or R&D. 

About half the reviews I've seen comment on the huge hood gap.  If you can't get a hood right, what can you get right? :lol:  :tounge:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 09, 2008, 02:57:49 PM
The M-B seems to be more her style, but she's leaning toward the Audi more because she's been told that there were too many corners cut when developing the new C-class. Can anyone corroborate?

Where did she hear that?  :nutty:

If anything this C-Class is the best built C-Class ever. The W204 was tested for over 3.5 million kilometers to ensure top build quality and reliability standards and I think it paid it off if you look at the latest JD Power ratings. There was no money saved on this car as far as I know. MB really needed to make this C-Class good and it worked.

And the interior is perfectly fine. It's made out of quality materials but it simply looks a bit boring compared to other interiors in its class. There's a difference between "boring" and "cheap". The Audi A4 has literally the same interior materials as that of the W204 C-Class but it has chrome or chrome-imitating plastic adorning certain parts of the interior which provide a more glitzy atmosphere.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Lebowski

When I sat at the C-class at the detroit auto show, I was blown away by how lackluster I thought the interior was.

Sorry wimmer, it's more than just boring, it seemed cheap to me for a car in that class.  Not as bad as the last gen CTS, but not good by any stretch and terrible compared to an A4.

Pommes-T

In all german reviews I've read so far the A4 won against all competitors. In most cases the C-class was far behind. The c-class even lost against the new Mondeo once or twice.

If I remember correctly, in earlier days when a new Benz came out, no Ford would have been the better choice.

I must say that a red Avantgarde version looks pretty hot, but the ordinary C-class leaves me completely cold. The Audi on the other hand looks absolutely stunning in every perspective. Yesterday I've seen a white one with large rims.... HARRRR!!!!  :partyon:

IMO the new c-class is a good car, but not a very good one that should have a star on the hood and have the price of a Mercedes. I absolutely can't imagine why anyone would want to buy this car.  (instead his last name is Wimmer...  ;)) . And the Audi is just damn hot and probably the best car in its class!!!!  :clap: :rockon:

Oh, and don't forget the 3.2 has AWD, too...
'00 BMW 523i

SJ_GTI

Slightly faster, but mainly its about refinement.

I like my 2.0T, but its a bit raucous. While I personally like the turbo powerband, a naturally aspirated engine is smoother and less abrupt.

Plus if you want all the equipment on the 3.2, its actually not all that muchy more expensive (maybe a couple grand).

One thing to keep in mind is that most reviews with the 3.2L are automatics, while the 2.0T is often paired with a manual. On the B7 model, audi offerred both engines with both transmissions.

Vinsanity

My friend heard it from a guy who works at a Benz dealer :huh: Don't know why he would say that, though

But even if I have to concede that the C-class has at least a better interior than my car, it certainly isn't as nice as the ones in the A4, 3-series, and the new CTS. Although that tan color helps a lot.

hotrodalex

That Audi looks hot, both in & out. The Benz looks good, but compared to the Audi it's lagging a bit.

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 10, 2008, 10:28:16 AM
Although that tan color helps a lot.

I prefer black interiors. Tan can start looking bad after a few years.

r0tor

a) agree that I don't really see the point of the 3.2... heavier, thirstier, and no quicker

b)  wtf happened to the A4 weight??  The last of the smallish entry level lux segment sedans is officially dead.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CALL_911

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2008, 01:30:35 PM
a) agree that I don't really see the point of the 3.2... heavier, thirstier, and no quicker

b)  wtf happened to the A4 weight??  The last of the smallish entry level lux segment sedans is officially dead.

The E90 328i is lighter than the B7 A4 2.0T was. Hell, the E60 535i is the same weight as the A4. IIRC, they're both 3,660 lbs.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: r0tor on June 10, 2008, 01:30:35 PM

It was only a matter of time. Unless you're talking about Manhattan apartments, luxury and space have always gone hand-in-hand. However, if you're willing to bend your definition of entry-lux, there's the Acura TSX and Volvo S40...

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 10, 2008, 02:17:49 PM
It was only a matter of time. Unless you're talking about Manhattan apartments, luxury and space have always gone hand-in-hand. However, if you're willing to bend your definition of entry-lux, there's the Acura TSX and Volvo S40...

What about the 1-Series?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 11, 2008, 12:57:02 AM
What about the 1-Series?
I would call that a stretch. That is like calling an A-Class luxurious.

Vinsanity

Actually, I would put the 128i in the same class as the S40 and TSX. All of those cars get owned by the Toyota Avalon and Hyundai Azera in terms of luxury anyways, so it really does just come down to the badge.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 11, 2008, 07:05:39 AM
I would call that a stretch. That is like calling an A-Class luxurious.

You have to separate out premium from luxury.

The 3-series isn't any more luxurious then a Honda Accord. In fact a good case can be made that the Accord is more luxurious.

Bu the 3-series, and to a lesser extent the 1-series, are definitely premium products.

r0tor

i said entry level lux sedan... the 1er isn't a sedan here
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Ah ok I understand.

Even still the S40, TSX and even the 128i are all over 3300#.

I mean I am sure they are all safer and ride nice but I would go w/a G20 or 1st gen TSX before the offerings now.