Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

Started by CALL_911, March 01, 2009, 09:09:53 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on March 02, 2009, 05:01:01 PM
I would never consider the Exige unless I simply couldn't find an Elise in a reasonable amount of time. I don't get the Exige at all. I can't see what it offers over the Elise: more expensive, slightly worse performance, and a detachable hardtop (that also comes with the Elise :loopy: ).

Well, with the Exige S has a supercharger so it's better performing and the body is shaped so there's more downforce.  The current Elise SC is supercharged too but less power and a more difficult to add IC compared to Exige S which comes with an IC (although some don't and there's really 0 purpose of getting those models).  And simple ECU flash can yield 20-30hp more at the wheel which is a big plus.

Suspension wise, the track pack suspension is an upgrade over the best suspension in the Elise.

I went with my Elise because my car comes with a better suspension option than the Exige S which saves me the time from replacing all the part and I can claim it's stock.. 

The Exige looks meaner IMO.

Raza

Quote from: M_power on March 02, 2009, 10:51:37 AM
this seems like a thread i should be posting in  :lol:

Got & shouldn't have...:

Could've:

Should've:

So instead of an SVT Contour, you should have gotten an SVT Contour? 

By the way, I love your car.  Are you getting it running again soon?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 02, 2009, 05:11:09 PM
IIRC correctly, the hardtop on the Exige isn't built to be removed like it is on the Elise. Does the Exige really perform worse though? I always assumed that it was a tiny bit faster because of the price.

I agree though. I would never buy an Exige when I could get an Elise.

It has far greater high speed stability that makes it significantly faster around the track.

The Exige might be slightly slower, but the Exige S isn't.

Raza

IIRC correctly, the hardtop on the Exige isn't built to be removed like it is on the Elise. Does the Exige really perform worse though? I always assumed that it was a tiny bit faster because of the price.

It's probably faster around a track due to downforce the like, but it is heavier, and lower models have the same engine. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I believe it's slightly slower than the Elise, because it has quite a bit more drag.  But it also has a lot more down force, making it a little stickier in the corners.

Now, the exige is only available with 240 and 257 horsepower in the Exige S 240 and S 260.  I think the Elise still comes with the 190 horsepower, non super charged, and you can get it with 218 horsepower with a supercharger too.

So now the exige is quite a bit faster, and sticks better too.  Used to be the same as the Elise though in terms of power.  I'd imagine there'd be slightly more head room in the Exige too.  I like the looks better too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2009, 05:29:16 PM
Well, with the Exige S has a supercharger so it's better performing and the body is shaped so there's more downforce.  The current Elise SC is supercharged too but less power and a more difficult to add IC compared to Exige S which comes with an IC (although some don't and there's really 0 purpose of getting those models).  And simple ECU flash can yield 20-30hp more at the wheel which is a big plus.

Suspension wise, the track pack suspension is an upgrade over the best suspension in the Elise.

I went with my Elise because my car comes with a better suspension option than the Exige S which saves me the time from replacing all the part and I can claim it's stock.. 

What's different about your suspension?  I thought both the Exige S and your car had adjustable coil overs basically.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on March 02, 2009, 05:58:41 PM
What's different about your suspension?  I thought both the Exige S and your car had adjustable coil overs basically.

My car comes with a two way adjustable Ohlin coilovers with the adjustable front anti sway bar.  Track pack just is just a single adjustable bilsteins and I believe less stiff shocks.  My car is basically a street legal "cup car" without the SC, and the fire extinguisher button and power cut off. 

And both Elise and Exige has the same amount of headroom which is actually more than the Rx8 and RSX.

FlatBlackCaddy

What i bought

What i would have bought

MidnightDave

Late '70s, opportunity to buy a '65 'vette roadster, insurance was too high so I bought a gulp, '77 Monza! Been making the same great car choices ever since. ;-) Although I'm about to dump the MINI and get a 370Z. Of course then I'll wish I'd bought a Z06 instead...strike that...Genesis.
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

TBR

Quote from: MidnightDave on March 02, 2009, 08:52:28 PM
Late '70s, opportunity to buy a '65 'vette roadster, insurance was too high so I bought a gulp, '77 Monza! Been making the same great car choices ever since. ;-) Although I'm about to dump the MINI and get a 370Z. Of course then I'll wish I'd bought a Z06 instead...strike that...Genesis.

It's a damn good time to be an enthusiast on a budget.

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on March 02, 2009, 05:26:24 PM
I have no regrets about the cars I've bought, or not bought. At one point, I considered getting a second car as a weekend driver, but I'm glad I didn't.

On my current car, my onlt regret is the color.  Not a big deal, but I wish I had gone with something darker.

Do you have the same color as the car in your sig?

BimmerM3

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2009, 06:34:08 PM
And both Elise and Exige has the same amount of headroom which is actually more than the Rx8 and RSX.

See that depends. If the Elise is my second car, I might as well consider it to have infinite head room, although, you probably have to put the roof on for track events.

Turns out another student on my study abroad trip has an Elise that he Turbo'd. He said he's putting down 248hp at the wheels.  :devil:

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2009, 05:29:16 PM

Quote from: MrH on March 02, 2009, 05:56:35 PM
I believe it's slightly slower than the Elise, because it has quite a bit more drag.  But it also has a lot more down force, making it a little stickier in the corners.

Now, the exige is only available with 240 and 257 horsepower in the Exige S 240 and S 260.  I think the Elise still comes with the 190 horsepower, non super charged, and you can get it with 218 horsepower with a supercharger too.

So now the exige is quite a bit faster, and sticks better too.  Used to be the same as the Elise though in terms of power.  I'd imagine there'd be slightly more head room in the Exige too.  I like the looks better too.

I wasn't sure when Nomis got his Elise, so I was talking about the 190 engine.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Vinsanity

another thing I could've done was to keep the S2000 and replace the Q45 with another old tank, like Madman's latest shed:

But the Q was getting costly to repair, so I decided to take a break from old Clinton-era cars for the time being

dazzleman

Charlie, yes, my car is the same color as the car in my signature.  Greg saw my car and picked the same color for my sig picture.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Don't even ask, I don't want to go there...

Hint: it started with a "B" and ended with an "i," and was sitting outside a barn.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Oh, I almost went for that Saab 9-3 Viggen.  That was in terrible condition though.  I'm glad I didn't.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 04, 2009, 10:32:05 PM
A type-35 I think. It was gone when I returned.

If there's a lesson to carry a decent sum of cash on one's person at all times, this is it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17864.msg1011555#msg1011555 date=1236040448
So instead of an SVT Contour, you should have gotten an SVT Contour? 

I think he just means a different one where the engine wouldn't die.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on March 04, 2009, 10:45:38 PM
If there's a lesson to carry a decent sum of cash on one's person at all times, this is it.

Shamefully, I didn't really know what it was when i saw it, and had even less of an idea what it might be worth. I talked to the guy who was selling it and he didn't really know either, except that he thought it might be a hot rodded model T.

I went home, looked up what it was, crapped myself, and drove back up the next day. It was gone.

Rupert

Then it's also a lesson to know everything there is to know about cars. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 04, 2009, 10:32:05 PM
A type-35 I think. It was gone when I returned.

Don't worry, cheaper ones are only fetching about $300,000 right now.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 04, 2009, 11:28:58 PM
Shamefully, I didn't really know what it was when i saw it, and had even less of an idea what it might be worth. I talked to the guy who was selling it and he didn't really know either, except that he thought it might be a hot rodded model T.

I went home, looked up what it was, crapped myself, and drove back up the next day. It was gone.

If you had bought it, would you still have it, or would you have sold it?  I know that's tough to answer on a hypothetical.  Teuton's post made me think of this.

I think I would have sold it.  Three hundred thousand (at least) is a lot of money.  I could pay off my student loans, pay cash for the rest of my schooling, get a hell of a jump on retirement, and have some money for a cool car(s).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Agreed. I would probably pay off student loans, buy a house, and buy $40k worth of cars and bikes. :lol:

sportyaccordy

S204STi

Quote from: TBR on March 02, 2009, 11:34:50 AM
Uh, yeah it did.

Not in 2007.  I could have bought used, however at the time I was hellbent on a new car.

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 02, 2009, 12:38:21 PM
You could've gotten a 2.5GT wagon, or an A4 2.0T avant.

A4 would have been nice, yeah.  But at the time I was aiming to buy new to avoid any issues from previous owners.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 08:00:58 AM
Not in 2007.  I could have bought used, however at the time I was hellbent on a new car.

I see, I guess it was 2006 when they stopped making the GT wagon.