Started by Yawn, June 25, 2009, 07:08:05 AM

Yawn

Yawn

sportyaccordy

I can't imagine a diesel car being fun

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 25, 2009, 10:20:38 AM
I can't imagine a diesel car being fun

Why not? Brain melting torque of a V8, but without the abysmal MPG's.

Yawn

800 miles on 1 tank of gas is great.. That means i will only need to fill up every 2-3 weeks.. I do 90% highway driving so I am sure I will get close.. With Diesel cheaper now this is a great deal.. So yes this is fun..

Vinsanity

a 116-hp 3-series sure would test the judgment of brand snobs. It would also struggle to pull ahead of a Prius. I'd rather they just sell the Mini diesel here.

Yawn

There are many brand snobs that are green... This would steal Prius sales I am sure.. Mini Diesel is too small for me. Also its too childish for me.. Being in a brand snobby area, many people i know would like to have this choice.

giant_mtb

I'd love to have one if I was a traveling businessman of some sort.  Or if I just didn't care about speed.

But since I do... :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Yawn on June 25, 2009, 11:43:35 AM
There are many brand snobs that are green... This would steal Prius sales I am sure.. Mini Diesel is too small for me. Also its too childish for me.. Being in a brand snobby area, many people i know would like to have this choice.

Just to clarify, by "pull ahead" of a Prius, I meant acceleration-wise. The Prius's 11-second 0-60 sprint puts it right at the tail of this Bimmer.

And out of all the Euro brands with presence in the U.S., BMW's sporting pretentions make it difficult for them to sell a car so underpowered and focused on fuel economy. Buyers here are more likely to warm up to a "Blue Efficiency" C-class, Audi A3 TDI, or even a Volvo S40 diesel than a BMW 316d. Heck, BMW would probably have better luck selling a 120d or even a 118d here, granted it doesn't reach too low in the market.

Raza

I think they should do a mid-engine, rear drive Mini D using the 330d's engine. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

I guess the only people that might drive this are company car drivers who are really desperate for the BMW badge.  Like those 116i drivers.

BTW, did you guys realise the Volvo S80 will soon be available with a 1.6 diesel engine?

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 25, 2009, 02:15:17 PM
I guess the only people that might drive this are company car drivers who are really desperate for the BMW badge.  Like those 116i drivers.

BTW, did you guys realise the Volvo S80 will soon be available with a 1.6 diesel engine?

CJ eagerly awaits it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Who would buy it though in the US? You get a lower price point, better performance and no diesel smell and noise, in the 335i.

C&D (IIRC) had a value comparison betwixt the 328i, 335i and 335d. The payback for the 335d was way more than 100,000 miles (essentially beyond that of the average ownership time frame of the new car buyer).

MexicoCityM3

The 320d is the sweet spot of the diesel 3-series range. At least until BMW comes out with a 323d with the 1-series 200+ bhp engine.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on June 25, 2009, 02:33:01 PM
Who would buy it though in the US? You get a lower price point, better performance and no diesel smell and noise, in the 335i.

C&D (IIRC) had a value comparison betwixt the 328i, 335i and 335d. The payback for the 335d was way more than 100,000 miles (essentially beyond that of the average ownership time frame of the new car buyer).
I've ridden in Jetta diesel cabs... if you don't know cars you wouldn't know the difference. If the payback is that long though then yea I guess it doesn't make a difference; however, we don't know what the cost of a 335d would be here so it's kind of a moot point.

Speed_Racer

I just want more diesel choices that aren't large pickup trucks.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 25, 2009, 11:16:33 AM
a 116-hp 3-series sure would test the judgment of brand snobs. It would also struggle to pull ahead of a Prius. I'd rather they just sell the Mini diesel here.

I don't get it. Why is it such a big deal to Americans when you're riding in a luxury car and loose a race to a cheaper car?

Somebody buying a luxury car, even an entry-level 316d, probably cares more about creature comforts, comfort, the badge and other characteristics. Also, the 316d would rape a Prius in handling, dynamics and sport. So what's the big deal? I am sure that the BMW 0-100 km/h figure given here is also underrated (as is usually the case with German manufacturer claims) so in the end effect the 316d might even be quicker than the Prius. As if that matters though.  :huh:

I don't recall hearing people I know personally bitch about the '70s when they were overtaken in their 316i or 200D's by a Volkswagen Golf GTI. It wasn't an issue. They bought their 316i or 200D because of this and that and that was enough. Performance wasn't an issue to them. I suspect it must be the same in the US where most buyers, even BMW folks, aren't true enthusiasts. They care about the badge and something else, but performance is probably irrelevant.

And there is always a 320d or 325d if you want more power...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Cookie Monster

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 26, 2009, 02:54:42 PM

I don't get it. Why is it such a big deal to Americans when you're riding in a luxury car and loose a race to a cheaper car?

Somebody buying a luxury car, even an entry-level 316d, probably cares more about creature comforts, comfort, the badge and other characteristics. Also, the 316d would rape a Prius in handling, dynamics and sport. So what's the big deal? I am sure that the BMW 0-100 km/h figure given here is also underrated (as is usually the case with German manufacturer claims) so in the end effect the 316d might even be quicker than the Prius. As if that matters though.  :huh:

I don't recall hearing people I know personally bitch about the '70s when they were overtaken in their 316i or 200D's by a Volkswagen Golf GTI. It wasn't an issue. They bought their 316i or 200D because of this and that and that was enough. Performance wasn't an issue to them. I suspect it must be the same in the US where most buyers, even BMW folks, aren't true enthusiasts. They care about the badge and something else, but performance is probably irrelevant.

+1

I would love a 316d. I don't care if it's slow, because it's not that slow and probably still really fun to drive.

I'm trying to get my parents to get a diesel car after the Accord goes.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: thecarnut on June 26, 2009, 02:56:18 PM
+1

I would love a 316d. I don't care if it's slow, because it's not that slow and probably still really fun to drive.

I'm trying to get my parents to get a diesel car after the Accord goes.

I think somebody eying a 316d in the first place really doesn't care about performance. They want a BMW that is sporty yet economical. The 316d is a modern engine so it is bound to have its own kind of agility that should please your average driver. And like I said, if you want more power but still want good gas mileage there is the 318d, 320d, 325d and even the 330d. The 330d and 335d are complete overkill already but they're probably the most "fun" because of their insane torque levels.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 25, 2009, 05:49:13 PM
I've ridden in Jetta diesel cabs... if you don't know cars you wouldn't know the difference. If the payback is that long though then yea I guess it doesn't make a difference; however, we don't know what the cost of a 335d would be here so it's kind of a moot point.

But non-enthusiasts will still know diesel smell and lag, and the price premium.

C&D had a write up a couple of months ago on the 335d; its base MSRP in the US will be right at $45k.

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 26, 2009, 02:54:42 PM

Somebody buying a luxury car, even an entry-level 316d, probably cares more about creature comforts, comfort, the badge and other characteristics. Also, the 316d would rape a Prius in handling, dynamics and sport. So what's the big deal? I am sure that the BMW 0-100 km/h figure given here is also underrated (as is usually the case with German manufacturer claims) so in the end effect the 316d might even be quicker than the Prius. As if that matters though.  :huh:

There's a difference between riding around in a luxury car like an Escalade or DTS and a luxury car like the 3-series. Buyers who choose a 3-series for the most part want some semblance or sportiness, and while acceleration isn't everything, 116 hp pulling you to 60 mph in 11 seconds is unacceptable for a modern US-spec BMW.

QuoteI don't recall hearing people I know personally bitch about the '70s when they were overtaken in their 316i or 200D's by a Volkswagen Golf GTI. It wasn't an issue. They bought their 316i or 200D because of this and that and that was enough. Performance wasn't an issue to them. I suspect it must be the same in the US where most buyers, even BMW folks, aren't true enthusiasts. They care about the badge and something else, but performance is probably irrelevant.

And people don't care now if their BMW's are slower than a GTI, because GTI's have always been pretty quick in relation to its contemporaries. It's when their BMW's are slower than cars that are supposed to be slow that it becomes a problem (a more accurate comparison from the 70's would be the 4-cylinder Ford Pinto).

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 26, 2009, 03:18:50 PM
There's a difference between riding around in a luxury car like an Escalade or DTS and a luxury car like the 3-series. Buyers who choose a 3-series for the most part want some semblance or sportiness, and while acceleration isn't everything, 116 hp pulling you to 60 mph in 11 seconds is unacceptable for a modern US-spec BMW.

And it's also because 3ers aren't luxury cars.   :lol:

If I wanted a luxury car, I wouldn't get one with such hard plastics. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2009, 03:01:18 PM
But non-enthusiasts will still know diesel smell and lag, and the price premium.

C&D had a write up a couple of months ago on the 335d; its base MSRP in the US will be right at $45k.

$43.9k

That's $2275 more than an AT 335i. At $2.50/gallon, break even is under 60k. Plus owners will probably find themselves getting a lot of the premium back in resale value.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on June 26, 2009, 04:04:19 PM
$43.9k

That's $2275 more than an AT 335i. At $2.50/gallon, break even is under 60k. Plus owners will probably find themselves getting a lot of the premium back in resale value.

No, per my post it's $44,725 (yer forgettin' delivery charge).

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2009, 06:08:00 PM
No, per my post it's $44,725 (yer forgettin' delivery charge).

Indeed I did, turns out BMW BYO doesn't list that in MSRP. Regardless, the difference remains $2275.

93JC

In response to Wimmer's comments: a slow, underpowered car, no matter its dynamic abilities, interior appointments and other features, is not luxurious. North Americans won't even buy a compact ('economy') car with only 116 hp anymore.

Yawn

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 26, 2009, 02:58:22 PM
I think somebody eying a 316d in the first place really doesn't care about performance. They want a BMW that is sporty yet economical. The 316d is a modern engine so it is bound to have its own kind of agility that should please your average driver. And like I said, if you want more power but still want good gas mileage there is the 318d, 320d, 325d and even the 330d. The 330d and 335d are complete overkill already but they're probably the most "fun" because of their insane torque levels.  :ohyeah:

i agree with you once!!

i already have my fast weekend car.. i commute distances for work and dont want no hybrid.. a 316d is perfect.. i always think the US market is too wide.. the market needs to be cut up.. certain consumers have different needs because of where they live..

hounddog

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 25, 2009, 12:11:56 PM
Just to clarify, by "pull ahead" of a Prius, I meant acceleration-wise. The Prius's 11-second 0-60 sprint puts it right at the tail of this Bimmer.
But at 63 mpg hwy, you would only have to out accelerate it once and then you would never see it again.    And, it proves hybrids are all hogwash.

QuoteAnd out of all the Euro brands with presence in the U.S., BMW's sporting pretentions make it difficult for them to sell a car so underpowered and focused on fuel economy. Buyers here are more likely to warm up to a "Blue Efficiency" C-class, Audi A3 TDI, or even a Volvo S40 diesel than a BMW 316d. Heck, BMW would probably have better luck selling a 120d or even a 118d here, granted it doesn't reach too low in the market.
The handling is still there, and if the BMW sporting brand snobs need or want a sporty diesel they would probably choose the 335d.  It is the best sporty car out there, this one is aimed at women who believe in brand snobbery and economy are important.

I would love to have 5 series that is able to realize 55+ mileage for the many many long trips I take, acceleration be damned.  

edit; a thought just crossed my mind, why have we not yet seen a hybrid diesel?  Would one be capable of 70mpg?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

ChrisV

The current Roundel magazine (the magazine of the BMW Club of America) has an article about living with the 335d for a week out in Vegas (and out in the desert around it). Summary, great big block gobs of torque down low, but runs out of breath quickly. Great fuel mileage but the sound of the diesel is still there (though the smell isn't). And they said the handling was numb. You could squirt nicely between corners, but really wasn't any fun in the corners.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...