Rupert's MGB Thread

Started by Rupert, July 13, 2009, 04:44:31 PM

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

What about mediocre gas? I think there's about 15% ethanol in there now, and I haven't put any in since last September or so...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on July 05, 2010, 03:32:11 PM
What about mediocre gas? I think there's about 15% ethanol in there now, and I haven't put any in since last September or so...

Without Sta-Bil or whatever it might be crappy by now.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Hmph, but it was doing this, then, too.

Rupert

Wait, what? I fixed it?

I FIXED IT!!!!

Holy fuck, I fixed it!

It was, after all that, the timing. It was about 10 degrees retarded, because I was a dumbass and didn't set it with the vacuum advance disconnected. :facepalm: I had to reset the carbs, then set the timing, and then re-reset the carbs. Now it runs fine, other than the battery being mostly drained. I will try to start it cold tomorrow.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Raza

$4200!?  That's three times what I'd pay.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

I don't give a shit what you'd pay. ;)

omicron

Reset the whats and set the whose?

Rupert

Rupert

I got the battery charged today, and it should be fine. Then I drove it around a bit, and, aside from some initial missing when cold, it drives great!

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rupert

Thanks!

I've been driving it all week, and it's been fine. It's grouchy when cold, but whatev.

Laconian

Quote from: Rupert on July 06, 2010, 01:28:45 AM
It was about 10 degrees retarded
You're 10 degrees retarded!

I saw an MGB three days ago, and found blowing raspberries at the world characterization of that engine to be totally accurate.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Yes, I am, apparently... :lol:

It's a perfect analogy.

Rupert

Laconian

"Fine diver"? I'm sure it goes off cliffs just fine.

But how does it drive?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

mzziaz

Flexible on the price = the listing price is way more than I think it?s worth
Cuore Sportivo

Rupert

Eh, maybe. I got rid of that and lowered the price some, though. I won't get $3800 for it...

Rupert

I still have the car-- kind of hard to sell a convertible in the fall, dontcha know. Someone made an offer for $2000 today, and I'm tempted. I could get it off my insurance, out of my garage, and stop thinking about it. I paid $2000, and then put in a bunch, so I was hoping to recoup some of that. I think I could get $25-3000 in the spring.

What doth y'all thinketh?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on October 09, 2010, 04:32:22 PM
I still have the car-- kind of hard to sell a convertible in the fall, dontcha know. Someone made an offer for $2000 today, and I'm tempted. I could get it off my insurance, out of my garage, and stop thinking about it. I paid $2000, and then put in a bunch, so I was hoping to recoup some of that. I think I could get $25-3000 in the spring.

My genuine question is if it will still run as well in the spring as it does now. If you let it sit, stuff mightvarnish and get goofed, if you drive it, stuff can still get goofed because it's an MG :P I'd sell it now to avoid any more money you may have to throw at it later to keep it running months from now.

Rupert

Eh, driving it a little every couple of weeks should prevent any problems.

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on October 09, 2010, 04:46:53 PM
Eh, driving it a little every couple of weeks should prevent any problems.

But something new could go wrong, no? A bird in the hand...

Secret Chimp

But imagine what you could do with $2000 on a 944 RIGHT NOW.

Rupert

Quote from: ifcar on October 09, 2010, 04:48:11 PM
But something new could go wrong, no? A bird in the hand...

It could, but I don't think that's likely. It would probably get less than 100 miles between now-ish and March.

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 09, 2010, 04:48:36 PM
But imagine what you could do with $2000 on a 944 RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, that's the kind of argument that gains ground with me. :lol:

Actually, it would be better in my bank account. x_x

Alternate joke is, yeah, an oil change.

:lol:

Secret Chimp

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on October 09, 2010, 04:32:22 PM

List it for $3000 now and see what happens?