Small, fast, and cheap?

Started by SargeMonkey, August 17, 2005, 07:33:32 AM

mazda6er

QuoteI believe the Cougar is pretty much just an updated, Mercurized version of the MX-6 and Probe GT, so there is really no reason to get one over those two cars imho.
I haven't seen anyone mention the Probe, and I'm not aware of any connection with the MX-6, but maybe there is. The Probe is by far the ugliest of those three cars. Anyway, as I said the Mercurys depreciate quickly and as you can see don't really have all that many miles on them. Unless he wants to sacrifice faster 0-60 times in place of everything else (i.e. many of the cars posted look like they were owned by a jackass and are about to f*cking die), the group that I posted has the best choices.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Run Away

QuoteI believe the Cougar is pretty much just an updated, Mercurized version of the MX-6 and Probe GT, so there is really no reason to get one over those two cars imho.
I haven't seen anyone mention the Probe, and I'm not aware of any connection with the MX-6, but maybe there is. The Probe is by far the ugliest of those three cars. Anyway, as I said the Mercurys depreciate quickly and as you can see don't really have all that many miles on them. Unless he wants to sacrifice faster 0-60 times in place of everything else (i.e. many of the cars posted look like they were owned by a jackass and are about to f*cking die), the group that I posted have the best choices.
I mentioned the Probe on the first page, identical to an MX6 underneath but with poorer resale value.

Pancor

My first choice would be a Miata.  If you need more speed, 155hp 240SX's aren't slow.  After that, I'd suggest an NX2000, or Sentra SE-R.  

One of the 10 best handling cars in the world in '91, and 0-60 times in the low 7's.  Awesome cars.  

This car doesn't really need explaining.   Just lose the steel wheels and the hair, please!  

My fav   :D

Same as an NX2000 under the skin, just as fast.  

An alternative, either generation of that car, depending on your budget.  

Run Away

I suppose if he has $5k he could get a 240SX but their demand (and likewise price) is skyrocketing to over Honda levels.

I suggested the SE-R on the first page. NXs look wierd. No denying their performance though, there's one locally that runs on barely legal tires and kills in the autox.

Miatas are just too slow, he's looking at what, 118hp?

Fire It Up

Theres a cougar i bike by all the time. It looks like it has a giant layer of fat hanging down its sides.

And I think this guy needs a 9000 Aero.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

Okay, how about a second generation RX7?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

If the Run Away thinks the MX-6 gets bad gas mileage no telling what he would say about the RX-7 ;)

Raghavan

QuoteOkay, how about a second generation RX7?
gas guzzlers.

Raza

QuoteOkay, how about a second generation RX7?
gas guzzlers.
So?  Mount up, damnit.  

Fine, you want good gas mileage?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Do you live in Eugene? (That's where I am...)

I have a Miata, and it rocks. They're fairly cheap ($3800-$5200 for an NA), and you can easily turbo it. Or you can just put a 5.0L Ford in there and really go fast. miata.net rocks!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

footoflead

QuoteA Miata.
I second that motion.
agreed.

*note i only read the first page
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

QuoteDo you live in Eugene? (That's where I am...)

I have a Miata, and it rocks. They're fairly cheap ($3800-$5200 for an NA), and you can easily turbo it. Or you can just put a 5.0L Ford in there and really go fast. miata.net rocks!
Yea you can do that...but you have alot of work to make that happen...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

So, we're tlaking first gen Mr. Two or second gen Prescription 7?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SargeMonkey

Ok, I am lost, and I started the thread, I think I am going with a miata, now I must find one, and for size I am 5'11" and 200 pounds, still growing too. I can sit in my civic fine and its tiny. I like the miatas style, and I am still loking for a used sportster, I've seen very nice ones for 2k-3k and they get very good mileage. And as for a little hint on build, I am scottish...
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Fire It Up

QuoteOk, I am lost, and I started the thread, I think I am going with a miata, now I must find one, and for size I am 5'11" and 200 pounds, still growing too. I can sit in my civic fine and its tiny. I like the miatas style, and I am still loking for a used sportster, I've seen very nice ones for 2k-3k and they get very good mileage. And as for a little hint on build, I am scottish...
1. Woowoo!
2. Eh?

SargeMonkey

I live in Klamath Falls, but I am heading to Portland before school starts.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

TBR

QuoteOk, I am lost, and I started the thread, I think I am going with a miata, now I must find one, and for size I am 5'11" and 200 pounds, still growing too. I can sit in my civic fine and its tiny. I like the miatas style, and I am still loking for a used sportster, I've seen very nice ones for 2k-3k and they get very good mileage. And as for a little hint on build, I am scottish...
1. Woowoo!
2. Eh?
That likely means he stocky (think George from Seinfield but taller).

SargeMonkey

Ya, wide shoulders, and I hit my head when I get out of small cars.  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Raza

1. Woowoo!
2. Eh?
He's burly and wears a skirt.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SargeMonkey

Yup, and I can't find this out, is a miata rwd?
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Raghavan

QuoteYup, and I can't find this out, is a miata rwd?
yes. :praise:  

Raza

It's a sports car.  It has to be. :praise:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SargeMonkey

Ok, I thought it was, there are a lot that claim to "sports" cars that are FWD. Now I need to start saving up some cash.  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Fire It Up

:o  

Rupert

Bwahaha! I've converted one! And a local, too... :D

If you need any Miata advice, I'm happy to help. If you there's one near me, I'll come with you too look at it since I know the cars decently well.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

QuoteOk, I thought it was, there are a lot that claim to "sports" cars that are FWD. Now I need to start saving up some cash.
Glad you've chosen.  And, as the others will tell you, I've got a very strict definition of a sports car.  Miata, yes.  Chrysler Sebring, no.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

SargeMonkey

Me hate:
Crystler,
Ford,
Dictanary.

I still need my liscence, sometime soon, and some money, I plan on fixing up my "classic" civic, and building up my '70 fleetside. But I will start puting money away and in "no-time" I'll have some cash for a miata. And hell I can sell the car for 5k after puting 2k in it, so yae for car collectors and autocross.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

CaseyNPham

1. Woowoo!
2. Eh?
He's burly and wears a skirt.
That's mean and rude! :angry:

It's called a kilt ;)  
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

Laconian

Height certainly won't be a problem (5'11" is a great place to be, all cars seem to fit just right), and I suspect build won't be either. I hauled around my former boss in a Miata and it wasn't too bad, and he's a pretty big guy.

I hear early first gens had a fairly serious crankshaft issue that could eventually f*** up the driveline. If you find a good Miata from the early nineties, you should research the problem and perhaps look into having a mechanic sign off on it before making the purchase.

Were I to buy my first car all over again, I would've gone for a Miata or MR2. I didn't know how to drive stick when I was shopping, and I was concerned too much with utility at the time, so I went with a sensible (read: BORING) car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT