Small, fast, and cheap?

Started by SargeMonkey, August 17, 2005, 07:33:32 AM

SargeMonkey

I hope to start saving for a small sporty car, can be big but with gas at $2.75 for 83 I would like small better. So whats small, fast, and cheap? I mean a car that can be found in the states, and easily. Older is fine, I don't need to worry about EPA stuff, I live in oregon but not in salem, portland, or medford, but I might look there, a car that can't meat the limits is worthless in those towns. Used is better and cheap is best, so what should I look for?  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

QuoteA Miata.
I second that motion.

TBR

MX-3, MX-6, NX2000, and MR-2

Raza

MX-5, MR-2 (even the older targa models, not just my favorite, the Spyder), among others.

What is cheap?  To Bill Gates, $300,000 is cheap.  What exactly are you looking to spend?  Once we know that, we can give you more viable options.

But then again, you can find an MX-5 anywhere from 5 grand to 20.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

He wan't something fast, and while the Miata is a good handler I don't consider an almost 10 second 0-60 time fast.

To go fast for cheap you'll need to modify the car.
Good starting points: Turbo Dodges (Daytonas, Turbo Zs, etc), CRX with an engine swap (base Integra motor [140hp] would make it perform well for quite cheap) or a Civic hatch with the same swap.

Maybe an older Turbo Saab, or a Sentra SE-R (though those have very weak transmissions)

Old Corollas, either the AE86 (RWD with the 4A-GE motor, same as the MR-2) or an FX16 (fairly rare little hatchback with the same 4A-GE and FWD).

TBR

I would like to note that a MX-6 LS would be faster than all of the cars Run Away mentioned ;) (though it would be a bit more expensive: $3000-$4000 for an example in good condition).

Raghavan

Run Away

QuoteI would like to note that a MX-6 LS would be faster than all of the cars Run Away mentioned ;) (though it would be a bit more expensive: $3000-$4000 for an example in good condition).
Uhh...
CRX/Civic with a B18B and a turbo Dodge with a few extra psi of boost would both slaughter an MX6.

Don't forget that he wants small, fuel efficient and cheap, therefore a V6 MX-6 isn't the best choice interms of fuel consumption, plus not quite that small of cars. And finally the MX-6 is more expensive than it's counterpart the Probe GT.

If he was looking into cars that size I would have recomended a 92-96 Prelude (160hp base, 190hp optional)

Fire It Up

QuoteHe wan't something fast, and while the Miata is a good handler I don't consider an almost 10 second 0-60 time fast.
Not if you turbo it.

Fire It Up

QuoteMaybe an older Turbo Saab...
Oooh, 3rd gear wheelspin.  :lol:  :praise:  

Raghavan

FWD. :(  

Run Away

QuoteHe wan't something fast, and while the Miata is a good handler I don't consider an almost 10 second 0-60 time fast.
Not if you turbo it.
And there goes the cheap part....

What he's asking for is what everyone wants but is almost impossible to have.

Basically: Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Chose two.

Fire It Up

FWD. :(
I was praising its crazy power.  :angry:  

TBR

QuoteI would like to note that a MX-6 LS would be faster than all of the cars Run Away mentioned ;) (though it would be a bit more expensive: $3000-$4000 for an example in good condition).
Uhh...
CRX/Civic with a B18B and a turbo Dodge with a few extra psi of boost would both slaughter an MX6.

Don't forget that he wants small, fuel efficient and cheap, therefore a V6 MX-6 isn't the best choice interms of fuel consumption, plus not quite that small of cars. And finally the MX-6 is more expensive than it's counterpart the Probe GT.

If he was looking into cars that size I would have recomended a 92-96 Prelude (160hp base, 190hp optional)
25 mpg is plenty good and I suspect that it is also small enough. A modified turbo Dodge might be faster, but it won't be nearly as fast and I would never buy a car with an amateur done engine swap.

Run Away

Quote25 mpg is plenty good and I suspect that it is also small enough. A modified turbo Dodge might be faster, but it won't be nearly as fast and I would never buy a car with an amateur done engine swap.
Actually it gets 21mpg city 26mpg highway. Those arn't good numbers. Look it up at edmunds if you like, I just did.

"A modified turbo Dodge might be faster, but it won't be nearly as fast"

WTF?
Like I said before, the CRX or Civic or Turbo Dodge will all easily out run an MX-6.
As for amateur engine swap, I was suggesting he do the swap himself (which is a direct swap I might add) and since when was every single engine swap done by an amateur? :rolleyes:

SargeMonkey

I like miatas, hate dodge. So a MX what again because there are way to many numbers in there. I don't mind adding a turbo, or two, to a car, I can do that, hell even a supercharger. I don't think a civic is fast, and I have one, its a 79 cvcc, good mileage 0-60 in 12 minuets or so. And as for cheap, up to $5k, I know my fleetside will be fast, it has a "race" 350 in it so it should have good power, and get 15mpg, but thats just to low. I've heard good things about MX-5's, and that wankle engine is in it right? I don't mind imports infact as long as they don't have fart cans I like'em, but I don't like ford or dodge. So we have Mazda, toyota, Gm, Honda, Subaru, and some others that I cannot spell or remember.

Oh, and is a 79 celica supra with a rebuilt engine with ~10,000 mile on it worth 3k? Has all new seals (doors and all), very good tires, needs some paint TLC, strait-6, and a few dings, looks fast but I don't know. What do you know about them? Guy is old and can't drive it anymore, I think he would take 2.5k cash.

And back to my civic, I don't know if they make them but if they do would a turbo or supercharger help it much? Has a base of 63hp, in 79, but more like 50 now. Its light at 1200 pounds, and is about the size of an older mini.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Raghavan

QuoteI like miatas, hate dodge. So a MX what again because there are way to many numbers in there. I don't mind adding a turbo, or two, to a car, I can do that, hell even a supercharger. I don't think a civic is fast, and I have one, its a 79 cvcc, good mileage 0-60 in 12 minuets or so. And as for cheap, up to $5k, I know my fleetside will be fast, it has a "race" 350 in it so it should have good power, and get 15mpg, but thats just to low. I've heard good things about MX-5's, and that wankle engine is in it right? I don't mind imports infact as long as they don't have fart cans I like'em, but I don't like ford or dodge. So we have Mazda, toyota, Gm, Honda, Subaru, and some others that I cannot spell or remember.

Oh, and is a 79 celica supra with a rebuilt engine with ~10,000 mile on it worth 3k? Has all new seals (doors and all), very good tires, needs some paint TLC, strait-6, and a few dings, looks fast but I don't know. What do you know about them? Guy is old and can't drive it anymore, I think he would take 2.5k cash.

And back to my civic, I don't know if they make them but if they do would a turbo or supercharger help it much? Has a base of 63hp, in 79, but more like 50 now. Its light at 1200 pounds, and is about the size of an older mini.
go for the supra.

SargeMonkey

Now I need the money, but I like the car it looks nice, and I'll keep the civic for it 40mpg city.  :D And the truck for someother reason.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Fire It Up

QuoteI like miatas, hate dodge. So a MX what again because there are way to many numbers in there. I don't mind adding a turbo, or two, to a car, I can do that, hell even a supercharger. I don't think a civic is fast, and I have one, its a 79 cvcc, good mileage 0-60 in 12 minuets or so. And as for cheap, up to $5k, I know my fleetside will be fast, it has a "race" 350 in it so it should have good power, and get 15mpg, but thats just to low. I've heard good things about MX-5's, and that wankle engine is in it right? I don't mind imports infact as long as they don't have fart cans I like'em, but I don't like ford or dodge. So we have Mazda, toyota, Gm, Honda, Subaru, and some others that I cannot spell or remember.

MX-5 : Miata
MX-6 : Not a Miata

The Miata has a 4 banger, not a rotary.

and www.flyingmiata.com.

Run Away

You're comparing your '79 Civic to 90+ ones?
Completely different. Especially with 140hp in a little car like that they can go pretty fast.

MX-5 is a miata. RX-7s have wankels in them.

That supra is slow too and won't get good gas mileage. 5MGE is what they have under the hood. Plus they're pretty unreliable, I was looking at Supras for a pretty long time and it's not a smart buy unless you like changing headgaskets every year and have another car to get you around when the supra breaks down.

As for your Civic, there isn't much you can do for it. If you had a '92-'95 then your possibilities would be wide open, same with an '88-91, though to a lesser extent.

Run Away

MX-5 : Miata
MX-6 : Not a Miata

The Miata has a 4 banger, not a rotary.

and www.flyingmiata.com.
Find me the cheapest Miata on eBay, then add a flyin Miata turbo kit, let me know if the price of both is under $5,000. <_<  

SargeMonkey

Cheapest would be about 2k, plus shipping.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Run Away

Acutally, it's $3,695.00 plus shipping.

Can you find a Miata for $1305?

I don't think so.

TBR

Quote25 mpg is plenty good and I suspect that it is also small enough. A modified turbo Dodge might be faster, but it won't be nearly as fast and I would never buy a car with an amateur done engine swap.
Actually it gets 21mpg city 26mpg highway. Those arn't good numbers. Look it up at edmunds if you like, I just did.

"A modified turbo Dodge might be faster, but it won't be nearly as fast"

WTF?
Like I said before, the CRX or Civic or Turbo Dodge will all easily out run an MX-6.
As for amateur engine swap, I was suggesting he do the swap himself (which is a direct swap I might add) and since when was every single engine swap done by an amateur? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I meant reliable.

And, a CRX is good condition will cost at least $2500 and I would think the engine you speak of would cost at least $500 and then you would have to spend a lot of time doing the swap, why not get a car like the MX-6 that is the complete package? 21/26 mpg is good gas mileage, your car is rated similarly. And, not every single engine swap is going to be amatuer done, but the majority will be.

mazda6er

Mercury Cougar (the new ones). No seriously, give them a look. They depreciate quickly, have 0-60 of about 8? (not that bad) and get 25 mpg. I think they're fairly reliable too.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Run Away

I get 26mpg city, and 30+ on the highway I can give you the numbers (kms/tank, liters used to fill up and yes I converted that into US Gallons)

If he's willing to get mileage like that, why not buy a Mustang LX Coupe with a 5.0L, it's faster than anything mentioned in here and only gets 5mpg worse city, 2 worse on the highway plus it seems more "up his alley" if you know what I mean. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-integ...1QQcmdZViewItem
Buy it now of $400 on a partially rebuild B18
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/acura-integ...1QQcmdZViewItem

5 hours left on this CRX and it's at $1600 and already has the 1.8L swap. If he's willing ot spend $5,000 then even if the car isn't perfect he has the money to correct anything (such as heater controls it says were removed).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Crx-H...1QQcmdZViewItem
$650 Buy it now,
but it does need a paint job, new tailights and who cares about then engine since it's getting tossed anyways.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-HONDA-...1QQcmdZViewItem
$2000 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-Honda-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Nice little clean hatch.
$3,300 buy it now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B16a-Sedan-...1QQcmdZViewItem
$4000
Everything done to it, probably as fast or faster as a 5.0L Mustang.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Civic...1QQcmdZViewItem
$2950 Buy it now
He can become a turbo ninja! :ph34r: (that's what they call SOHC D series motors with turbos)

TBR

All of those cars would have to be modified to be as fast as a MX-6 (or Probe GT) or already are modified and therefore won't be as reliable as a stock car or as cheap to fix. And, your car is rated 22/27, almost the exact same as a MX-6 LS.

Raghavan

the second to last civic is really nice.

giant_mtb

Quotethe second to last civic is really nice.
Yeah...it's riced nicely.