Toyota's at it again!

Started by FoMoJo, November 05, 2009, 06:25:40 AM

FoMoJo

It harkens back to the infamous 'sludge' episode of a few years ago..."Nothing wrong with the car; it's the customers fault" :huh:.

U.S. criticizes Toyota for 'misleading' public in recall

The government sharply criticized Toyota Motor Corp. Wednesday for its "inaccurate and misleading" suggestion that sudden acceleration in some vehicles bound for recall may be due only to improperly fitting floor mats.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's criticism of Toyota's statement is the latest hit to the automaker's reputation from what will be the largest safety recall in its history: 3.8 million vehicles.

NHTSA said Toyota inaccurately suggested in a press release this week that the agency had concluded "that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver's floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured," the agency said in a statement.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

The correct conclusion is that no one knows to just put a car in neutral if you can't explain why it's moving forward, making every one of these alleged issues the driver's own fault -- if they hadn't just been pushing on the gas to begin with either without knowing or refusing to admit to it.

Such a ridiculous "issue."

FoMoJo

I don't have a problem with the "issue".  Every manufacturer makes mistakes.  Toyota just doesn't want to admit it.  With their "sludge" incident, they quietly made changes to the cylinder heads to enhance oil flow but still insisted that there was nothing wrong with the engine.

This, of course, is similar to the Audi problem back in the 80s; which was just inept drivers pressing on the gas pedal rather than the brake.  All Toyota needs now is for 60 Minutes to do a special on it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

ifcar

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 06:37:40 AM
I don't have a problem with the "issue".  Every manufacturer makes mistakes.  Toyota just doesn't want to admit it.  With their "sludge" incident, they quietly made changes to the cylinder heads to enhance oil flow but still insisted that there was nothing wrong with the engine.

This, of course, is similar to the Audi problem back in the 80s; which was just inept drivers pressing on the gas pedal rather than the brake.  All Toyota needs now is for 60 Minutes to do a special on it.

Just because they made a change doesn't mean there was necessarily a defect before. I'm sure Toyota's explanation would be further idiot-proofing, and who's to say if that's true or not?

FoMoJo

Quote from: ifcar on November 05, 2009, 06:40:52 AM
Just because they made a change doesn't mean there was necessarily a defect before. I'm sure Toyota's explanation would be further idiot-proofing, and who's to say if that's true or not?
Cars need to be idiot-proof; don't you agree?  Other than a handful of enthusiasts, most drivers have no notion of how to properly maintain a vehicle or what to do when something goes wrong.  Toyota promotes reliability in its marketing yet, when there's a problem, they try to deflect it rather than addressing it as a problem.  This statement...

NHTSA said Toyota inaccurately suggested in a press release this week that the agency had concluded "that no defect exists in vehicles in which the driver's floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and properly secured," the agency said in a statement.

...says a lot about their MO.  They respond more like a political entity than an auto manufacturer.  I have nothing against their vehicles; just their attitude.

r0tor

so great... ever manufacturer will have yet another ugly ass warning lable in their interior explaining to them how ignorant most people are
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Yep - I'm seeing shades of the Audi 5000 debacle of the '80s. Just as with that issue, no one, anywhere, ever provided a shred of evidence (at least that I've heard of).  Then the publicity snowballed as scammers and morons leveraged the story for their own ends for accidents they themselves caused. I think this is pretty much the same issue.

There are profoundly insane measures to prevent a modern throttle from opening by itself and then sticking, plus an OBD-II logs its errors - for example, an error occurs when there is a mismatch between throttle position and gas pedal position and the car is shut down. This event would be easily uploaded by Toyota or any entity investigating these crashes.

IMO Toyota's floor mat recall was a PR move as IMO their exhaustive study showed that was the only possible way for the sticking throttle scenario to occur; it is virtually impossible for it to happen due to a software or hardware glitch, and if it does happen, the car shuts down.

I'm not so arrogant as to 100% dismiss it, but until someone provides hard, physical evidence, I'm siding with Toyota. Plus Toyota has an extreme interest in not killing its customers or the bad PR that would come of it, so to allege Toyota is covering something up I think is an extreme stretch.

r0tor

^sort of like morons traveling at high speeds with overloaded Explorers on underinflated Firestone tires???
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2009, 07:31:42 AM
Yep - I'm seeing shades of the Audi 5000 debacle of the '80s. Just as with that issue, no one, anywhere, ever provided a shred of evidence.  I'm not so arrogant as to 100% dismiss it, but until someone provides hard, physical evidence, I'm siding with Toyota.

There are profoundly insane measures to prevent a modern throttle from opening by itself and then sticking, plus an OBD-II logs its errors - for example, an error occurs when there is a mismatch between throttle position and gas pedal position.

Just as ifcar notes, people know how turn off cars and put them into park/neutral. Just as with the Audi 5000 issue, the publicity snowballed as scammers and morons leveraged the story for their own ends for accidents they themselves caused. I think this is pretty much the same issue.

I agree in general; except that many people don't "know how turn off cars and put them into park/neutral" when an unexpected situation suddenly appears.  Many would simple stand on the brake resulting in a racing engine trying to overpower the brakes and some soccer mom shitting herself in the driver's seat, similarly, as those in an Audi 5000 pressing the accelerator to the floor thinking that it was the brake.  No wonder so many old farts drove through the back of their garage.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on November 05, 2009, 07:33:57 AM
^sort of like morons traveling at high speeds with overloaded Explorers on underinflated Firestone tires???
Exactly!

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 07:42:51 AM
I agree in general; except that many people don't "know how turn off cars and put them into park/neutral" when an unexpected situation suddenly appears.  Many would simple stand on the brake resulting in a racing engine trying to overpower the brakes and some soccer mom shitting herself in the driver's seat, similarly, as those in an Audi 5000 pressing the accelerator to the floor thinking that it was the brake.  No wonder so many old farts drove through the back of their garage.

I think it depends; if the situation takes time to unfold (i.e., a stuck throttle on the freeway) I think the vast majority of people would figure it out.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2009, 07:55:39 AM
I think it depends; if the situation takes time to unfold (i.e., a stuck throttle on the freeway) I think the vast majority of people would figure it out.
Quite possibly.  But it only takes a handful to go flying into oncoming traffic at speed in order to crush the manufacturers reputation.

Submariner

Quote from: r0tor on November 05, 2009, 07:12:37 AM
so great... ever manufacturer will have yet another ugly ass warning lable in their interior explaining to them how ignorant most people are

WARNING!

GAS PEDAL CAUSES FORWARD MOTION

USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

We can avoid this problem by having everyone actively engage their cars. I suggest making all new cars manual.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on November 05, 2009, 08:01:36 AM
WARNING!

GAS PEDAL CAUSES FORWARD MOTION

USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION
...or

FLOORMATS MAY ATTEMPT TO KILL YOU!

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 06:56:53 AM
Cars need to be idiot-proof; don't you agree?  Other than a handful of enthusiasts, most drivers have no notion of how to properly maintain a vehicle or what to do when something goes wrong.

That's why a drivers license is required to operate one. If you don't know how to operate a motor vehicle, you don't get your license.

That's the way it should be done.

If you go down the road of idiot proofing we'll all be rolling around inside over sized bouncy balls eventually.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

FoMoJo

Quote from: the Teuton on November 05, 2009, 08:05:32 AM
We can avoid this problem by having everyone actively engage their cars. I suggest making all new cars manual.
It may not help.  I give you this example.

After spending some of the most harrowing hours of my life in an empty parking lot teaching my (new) wife how to drive a manual -- engaging the clutch without stalling, without the car wildly bucking, without driving into a lamp post -- I thought she understood the fundamentals so, each day, off she went to work and arrived back safely.  Great, I thought, until one day I was a passenger as she drove.  She engaged the clutch with some skill and off we went; but I noticed she let the engine rev quite high and didn't shift.  Not to distract her too much, I quietly suggested "You can shift now".  She looked over at me and said "Why?"  Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, at a loss for words. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 05, 2009, 08:27:47 AM
That's why a drivers license is required to operate one. If you don't know how to operate a motor vehicle, you don't get your license.
Now, do you really believe that everyone with a drivers license can safely operate a car?

That's the way it should be done.
No argument there.  Too bad it doesn't work that way.

If you go down the road of idiot proofing we'll all be rolling around inside over sized bouncy balls eventually.
... and that's exactly where we're heading.  At some point, everyone will be a passenger and the car will drive itself.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 07:59:50 AM
Quite possibly.  But it only takes a handful to go flying into oncoming traffic at speed in order to crush the manufacturers reputation.

True, but only if it's found to be the manufacturer's fault.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 05, 2009, 08:51:52 AM
True, but only if it's found to be the manufacturer's fault.

Not necessarily; as was the case with Audi.

ifcar

TBR

The car that started all this did not turn off or reduce power when full force was on both the brake and the gas. That indicates a design fault.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on November 05, 2009, 09:46:09 AM
The car that started all this did not turn off or reduce power when full force was on both the brake and the gas. That indicates a design fault.

Not at all. There are some cars that are designed to do that, but it's rare. It wasn't that these cars had that system and it failed.

Morris Minor

The issue is now beyond questions of logic, driver stupidity, or whether Toyota's statement was right or wrong. It's now Toyota vs. the combined majesty of the Federal Government & the media. This is a public relations issue. As such Toyota needs to remember the "masses are asses" mantra as it drops its pants, bends over and does whatever it is told.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

I don't think it was a mistake.

It was revealed that the dealer had put in the wrong floor mats (ones from an RX) in the ES that rolled over.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on November 05, 2009, 10:09:21 AM
I don't think it was a mistake.

It was revealed that the dealer had put in the wrong floor mats (ones from an RX) in the ES that rolled over.
Where was that revealed?  I never read of it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 05, 2009, 10:08:26 AM
The issue is now beyond questions of logic, driver stupidity, or whether Toyota's statement was right or wrong. It's now Toyota vs. the combined majesty of the Federal Government & the media. This is a public relations issue. As such Toyota needs to remember the "masses are asses" mantra as it drops its pants, bends over and does whatever it is told.
Quite possibly.  However, someone at Toyota would have to kill themselves if that were to happen.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on November 05, 2009, 09:46:09 AM

Reports, Gossip and media hype do not indicate design fault. Only data does; and we(I) have seen none.

Like I've previously said, data is logged by OBD-II ECUs. If there were data indicating a design fault(s) Toyota and various government agencies there would have already been swift (and public) action. Also bet that Toyota has spent millions $$$ investigating possible failure scenarios.

My judgment: 2% chance it's a design fault; and less than 1% chance it's floor mats.

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 05, 2009, 08:33:20 AM
Now, do you really believe that everyone with a drivers license can safely operate a car?
No argument there.  Too bad it doesn't work that way.
... and that's exactly where we're heading.  At some point, everyone will be a passenger and the car will drive itself.

Shouldn't we have a more rigorous driving test and driver's training rather than a simple, understand how to follow the laws and you get your license like we do today.. and even then, most people don't understand the laws.  So basically, if they can't follow something as simple as that.. why should they get to drive and endanger everyone else?

Every day, I always wonder how people overturn their vehicles but apparently, they do since I hear at least one on the traffic report daily.  And I still can't figure it out.. I guess I'll have to see it happen before my eyes to find out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on November 05, 2009, 10:55:37 AM
Shouldn't we have a more rigorous driving test and driver's training rather than a simple, understand how to follow the laws and you get your license like we do today.. and even then, most people don't understand the laws.  So basically, if they can't follow something as simple as that.. why should they get to drive and endanger everyone else?

Every day, I always wonder how people overturn their vehicles but apparently, they do since I hear at least one on the traffic report daily.  And I still can't figure it out.. I guess I'll have to see it happen before my eyes to find out.

Maybe they tossed their sway bars because they thought they were building a rallycross racer, but then they never got around to it and just ended up using it as a daily driver with xtreme body roll and positive front camber under compression.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)