Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Colonel Cadillac

That's gonna be a sick car, congratulations if you get it.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 08, 2010, 11:40:28 AM
So is 10-12% below MSRP a good first offer? 

By my guesstimate $29k offer on a $35k care is closer to 20%...

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on April 08, 2010, 12:42:06 PM
By my guesstimate $29k offer on a $35k care is closer to 20%...

When did I say I was going to offer 29 on a 35 car?  I said 10-12 percent.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 08, 2010, 12:44:16 PM
When did I say I was going to offer 29 on a 35 car?  I said 10-12 percent.

My implicit answer in my advice was no (IMO); 10-12% below is a not a good first offer (at least from a buyer's POV). That's probably only at invoice.

giant_mtb

So more like 15% would be a safe/good first offer?  Or would you suggest going deep to 20%..?

saxonyron

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 08, 2010, 12:55:36 PM
So more like 15% would be a safe/good first offer?  Or would you suggest going deep to 20%..?

That is really market dependent.  In a buyers' market, you can score a big discount.  It's spring and Audi isn't hurting too badly, so you're not going to get any 20% below list.  It might be a good starting point, but in my experience, if you get an Audi dealer down to 10% below MSRP, you're doing pretty well.  Edmunds has the TMV at $34,800 on a $36,600 sticker.  That's only 5% below MSRP.  Of course, that's not gospel, so I'd still aim for 10%, going in with a 15% low bid, and working up from there.  A 20% offer isn't going to get you too far, unless they're desperate for a sale.  And carrying cash is a strong suit for sure.  Sure, the dealer can't dick you around with financing BS, but you are an absolute player and they like that.  I don't think you'll find a salesman willing to let a cash buyer out of his showroom.

Here's from Edmunds...

The True Market Value? (TMV?) price is our exclusive method for calculating what others are paying for vehicles (based on actual sales data from your region).

2010 Audi A4
2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M) 
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP    Invoice     TMV

Base                               $32,350 $30,085   $30,834 

WPS Premium Plus             $3,500  $3,256     $3,323 
  Destination Charge              $ 825    $   825     $  825 
Total with Options                 $36,675 $34,166   $34,859 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Cool.  Thanks for the advice...I'm not sure on what the exact sticker price is on it, but I'll see tomorrow when I go meet the saleswoman and check out the car.  If we start talking prices, I'll throw out 15% underneath the sticker and go from there. 

Just talked to my dad on the phone.  Gave me similar advice; he said 15% under window price would be a good starting point.  So hopefully I'll talk prices with the lady and I can check in with my parents on it and perhaps head back to the dealer on Saturday to talk more or put down a payment or something...whatever I'd have to do to secure it as mine until the 29th.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 08, 2010, 03:28:00 PM
Cool.  Thanks for the advice...I'm not sure on what the exact sticker price is on it, but I'll see tomorrow when I go meet the saleswoman and check out the car.  If we start talking prices, I'll throw out 15% underneath the sticker and go from there. 

Just talked to my dad on the phone.  Gave me similar advice; he said 15% under window price would be a good starting point.  So hopefully I'll talk prices with the lady and I can check in with my parents on it and perhaps head back to the dealer on Saturday to talk more or put down a payment or something...whatever I'd have to do to secure it as mine until the 29th.

If you can, just go ahead and buy it and park it at your brother's place until you can pick it up from there. If you want them to keep the car for you, they're going to use that as a bargaining chip.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 08, 2010, 03:50:28 PM
If you can, just go ahead and buy it and park it at your brother's place until you can pick it up from there. If you want them to keep the car for you, they're going to use that as a bargaining chip.

A good point.  I could probably do that if need be.  Then I could drive it!

giant_mtb

Heading to the dealership in about an hour here. Looking forward to meeting the saleswoman - who sounds rather pleasant over the phone - and snagging a car and good deal. Wish me luck! :mask:

giant_mtb

What the fuck?  They didn't even offer me a price below MSRP for the fucking thing.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 09, 2010, 03:39:43 PM
What the fuck?  They didn't even offer me a price below MSRP for the fucking thing.

I'd be very very surprised if they did - standard fare is not to leave money on the table and otherwise make you work for it, plus they know you're not paying for it, they know you really want it, and it sounds like they're the only game in town.

Either way you were going in at like 15% under MSRP, so what happened?

giant_mtb

I dunno.  I caved, I guess.  I didn't even feel like they gave me an opportunity to make an offer.  I looked at the car, talked to the saleswoman, and was suddenly at the boss' desk talking about "free Audi care" and "I'm only going to make $1700 margin at this price" and yadda yadda.  I'm not much of a hardball talker.

Called the dealership I was at last weekend, though, and off the bat, Robert offered me a grand off MSRP for a Premium model.  The one here in Ann Arbor's a Premium Plus, but I just doubt that I could get one into my price range anywhere...38+ thousand with taxes is too much. 

I may just go with the Premium from the guy in Grand Rapids.  He's ready for me.

giant_mtb

And I hate when silly salesmen/women say shit like "well, the LED running lights and Xenon headlamps are a safety feature! So don't forget to tell your grandparents that!"

ZOMG REALLYZ?!

Fuck off.  They're not any "safer."

giant_mtb

Plus, the "boss" guy was like "oh, yeah! I can get you $1500 off through an incentive program!"  Five minutes later he checks the book and - whoops! - it's only for people that have previously owned Audis!  Plus, he checked his vibrating Blackberry twice, took two phone calls, talked to three different people that came into his office, and hung out with his daughter.  All while I was in his office.  It was rather rude.  Cool guy, served in Iraq, 29 years old; but cripes.

GoCougs

Oh, thought you went there with the person that is writing the check. I'm not surprised by the treatment - chances they'd spend their time wheeling and dealing with a non-buyer is tiny.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on April 09, 2010, 04:34:54 PM
Oh, thought you went there with the person that is writing the check. I'm not surprised by the treatment - chances they'd spend their time wheeling and dealing with a non-buyer is tiny.

I called my dad while I was there, and he gave me information so that my dad could wire-transfer money over.

I put $200 on it so they'll hold it through tomorrow.  Gonna talk with my parents tonight, but I'm pretty sure it's just too 'spensive.  I'll go in there with a printed copy of the price sheet the other salesman showed me, and maybe they'll do some bargaining, but I doubt it.  Meh.

giant_mtb

The check-writer is my dad, who's 450 miles away, and I do not expect him to make a trip down just to haggle on a car.

GoCougs

Meh - be happy and don't worry about it. They got you and they know it. It happens. There are worse transgressions in life than paying MSRP for a new car.

However, they probably have you marked for nickel-n-dime action on "fees" so be ready - from "documentation" fee to a "detailing/prep" fee to a "handling" fee to excessive sales/excise tax hold back to extended warranty to even the classic scams of body undercoating and upholstery treatment.

giant_mtb

Yeah, even paying below MSRP on a 37k car would be too much. They noted all the fees in the pricing sheet they gave me, including the doc. fee and prep fee.

GoCougs

Well, let me tell you about the first time I bought a car from a dealer (only ever done it twice). Had my heart set on a slightly used Tacoma w/4wd, V6 and extra cab. Found one a bit more than I wanted to pay (read: afford) yet much cheaper than anywhere else. Went for a test drive but it was a POS. They had other similar trucks (in good condition) but the prices were what I expected (out of my range). I tried to bargain but the trucks were just far above what I could pay ($5k+). They in turn gave me the good ole, "hey, we've got this in your price range..."

Enter a slighty used ultra base model Tacoma 4wd, I4 and regular cab (LOL - didn't even have a tape deck). Went for a drive and it was great. It was actually a bit cheaper than I was expecting to pay and $2k below KBB. I tried to bargain but they countered claiming it was already way below KBB. I didn't feel comfortable paying what they were asking so I asked for extras; sliding rear window, hitch, bed liner, fix a small dent on the bed, oil change and a full tank of gas. At the time my daily driver was 20 years old and a mega POS. It was late at night, pouring down rain, and I just wanted a decent car for the first time in my life.

Moral of the story is, I did pay what they were asking albeit I probably got ~$1,000 in extras, but I got it when I wanted/needed it and it was a rock star vehicle for the ~8 years and ~150k I owned it. I sold it at 50% of what I paid for it even though it was 10 years old and had ~165k on the clock. In hindsight I would do some things differently (actually did when I bought my Accord) but I don't regret it at all. Got a fantastic vehicle at a good price and I got more than my money's worth out of it.

giant_mtb

Confirmed. Deposit check is in the mail for the car in Grand Rapids. The Ann Arbor dealer said they could get the same car and match the price. Match?  Fuck that. I'll get the car from the guy I talked with first and whom actually isn't trying to get me to pay MSRP. :devil:

Atomic

i nearly purchased a 2010 a4 myself. i had hoped to buy the q5, but wow! the price on that suv was astronomical when fully loaded, plus it had a harsh ride, unlike the smooth as silk (yet sporty and surefooted) a4. i even looked at the avant estate wagon, as i love those large panoramic sun/moonroofs! no decision yet, but the audi is awesome! my very favorite suv/crossover is the awd volvo xc60 turbo. even the non-turbo is sweet. those are my picks.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Atomic on April 10, 2010, 12:35:22 PM
i nearly purchased a 2010 a4 myself. i had hoped to buy the q5, but wow! the price on that suv was astronomical when fully loaded, plus it had a harsh ride, unlike the smooth as silk (yet sporty and surefooted) a4. i even looked at the avant estate wagon, as i love those large panoramic sun/moonroofs! no decision yet, but the audi is awesome! my very favorite suv/crossover is the awd volvo xc60 turbo. even the non-turbo is sweet. those are my picks.

:rockon:

Atomic

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 09, 2010, 04:26:40 PM
Plus, the "boss" guy was like "oh, yeah! I can get you $1500 off through an incentive program!"  Five minutes later he checks the book and - whoops! - it's only for people that have previously owned Audis!  Plus, he checked his vibrating Blackberry twice, took two phone calls, talked to three different people that came into his office, and hung out with his daughter.  All while I was in his office.  It was rather rude.  Cool guy, served in Iraq, 29 years old; but cripes.

cool? rude takes away "cool" for me.

omg! same thing happened to be regarding the audi loyalty program situation, not unlike an extra $1,000.00 at volvo for any former volvo or (interestingly) a saab - but i knew this from volvo ads.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 07, 2010, 02:25:23 PM
Did they stop offering the 3.2 on the A4?

Not here they didn't.

giant_mtb

Stroke of genius:  I'll get a custom plate that reads "LOTR."  Lord of the Rings.  Audi.  See what I did there? :praise:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

haha, good one dude. :lol: