Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

BimmerM3

I puked out of someone's car once, but it was before we started driving.

I also just remembered that I had a dream last night where one of my parents (can't remember which one) randomly bought me a 2010 A4.

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 06, 2010, 09:41:33 PM
Not gonna lie, what Cougs just described sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh, it is.

I never did the keg thing though.  It was never allowed in any of my apartment buildings, and I didn't host parties anyway.  I went to them at times, but I went to bars more often.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 07, 2010, 08:57:37 AM
Be wary that it is quite common that the "I'm not going to fool around" types are the ones that go absolutely nuts once in the college environment and end up not being able to balance the social vs. scholastic scene. Saw it lots of times myself, and had a bit of that early on when I was in school.

This is also true.  But then again, our very own TBR hasn't gone nuts, to our knowledge. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on April 07, 2010, 11:25:39 AM
This is also true.  But then again, our very own TBR hasn't gone nuts, to our knowledge. 

Yeah, I mean there are exceptions to every rule, but I know way more people who started partying than people who didn't (including myself).

giant_mtb

Apparently the Audi dealer here in Ann Arbor has an A4, black-on-black, 6-speed on their showroom floor.  Called the saleswoman my dad talked to, left her a voicemail.  Hoping to hear from her ASAP so I can go check it out and maybe put some money on it to secure it!

:mask:

WINNER.

Tave

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 08:44:55 PM

You consider that a good college experience?  To me, that sounds like shit.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:52:11 PM

What?

They may have changed, but for now, I really don't care about that shit.  I'm not going to fuck up my free-to-me education by partying.  I can't afford that.

What the hell are you talking about?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

Did they stop offering the 3.2 on the A4?

giant_mtb

2o6

Quote from: Tave on April 07, 2010, 01:48:34 PM

He'll be burnt out by early sophomore year.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on April 07, 2010, 01:48:34 PM

He has no idea.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

DID ANYBODY HEAR ME?! THE DEALERSHIP HERE IN ANN ARBOR HAS A BLACK-ON-BLACK SIX-SPEED ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR.

MOTHERFUCKERS.

:praise:

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 07, 2010, 10:09:58 PM
DID ANYBODY HEAR ME?! THE DEALERSHIP HERE IN ANN ARBOR HAS A BLACK-ON-BLACK SIX-SPEED ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR.

MOTHERFUCKERS.

:praise:

I'll bite.

Are you going to buy it?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 07, 2010, 10:13:41 PM
I'll bite.

Are you going to buy it?

If it's the right price, you bet.  It's a "premium plus" model with all the blue teeth and shit.  MSRP is prolly 35-36k, which I'm sure I can talk down into the 32-33 range.  Booya.

saxonyron

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 07, 2010, 10:15:10 PM
If it's the right price, you bet.  It's a "premium plus" model with all the blue teeth and shit.  MSRP is prolly 35-36k, which I'm sure I can talk down into the 32-33 range.  Booya.

Nice!  That's how you want the car optioned up. The premium pkg is about right in your range.  Plus it's already on their lot?  That means they really want to move the metal since they've already paid for the car and it's not a transfer from another dealer.  A sweet deal for both of you if you can get them down to the right number.  But seriously, all that is nowhere near as interesting as knowing that CJ isn't goint to party at all in his college career.  Get your priorities straight!  :partyon:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Quote from: saxonyron on April 07, 2010, 10:20:56 PM
Nice!  That's how you want the car optioned up. The premium pkg is about right in your range.  Plus it's already on their lot?  That means they really want to move the metal since they've already paid for the car and it's not a transfer from another dealer.  A sweet deal for both of you if you can get them down to the right number.  But seriously, all that is nowhere near as interesting as knowing that CJ isn't goint to party at all in his college career.  Get your priorities straight!  :partyon:

Haha Yeah...it's definitely a nice one, and I'm very positive we can negotiate it more into my price range.  I'm excited.  I'm heading there Friday, and hopefully I can make some sort of commitment (down payment, sign a paper, something) to secure it until I'm out of school!

And you're right...I do need to get my priorities straight.  Gotta show CJ the light, eh? :cheers:

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 07, 2010, 10:15:10 PM
If it's the right price, you bet.  It's a "premium plus" model with all the blue teeth and shit.  MSRP is prolly 35-36k, which I'm sure I can talk down into the 32-33 range.  Booya.

Do it.

That sounds like a remarkably good price considering what you get versus the Passat for the money.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

saxonyron

MSRP should be $37,100 if it's a quattro.  10% off and you're looking at $33k and change.  Good value if you can get close to that.  I think my '06 A4 stickered around $38k.  As for holding it for 5 weeks, you may find that they want you to sign now.  A sale a month away isn't as enticing to the dealer, so you'll lose some bargaining power.  It might be worth it to get it now and pay the extra month's payment (or if your grandparents are paying cash, you might have to forego this one and wait to find another in May.  It shouldn't be hard to score another good one. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Nah, 3 weeks away.  My last exam is 3 weeks from today, so I'll be heading out of town on that Thursday, the 29.  Plus, I could always just buy the car and park it at my brother's place if need be.

Car's being paid for in full in cash straight up.

giant_mtb

Is paying for a car in full straight up a bargaining chip, or does the dealer care whether they get the money now or later in payments?

Rupert

Later in payments = interest.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Not if you're a dealer. They like the interest you're paying them.

giant_mtb

Do you think it will make a huge difference in the price we negotiate to, or just a couple hundred dollars either way?

Rupert

Honestly, I have no idea. I would think it would matter, but I don't know how much. I don't buy new cars. :huh:

giant_mtb

Rupert

I guess that's why this thread is here, eh?

GoCougs

If it's a solvent dealer paying cash isn't a financial incentive. They get to mark in their books the sale the day the papers are signed, and the vast majority of people finance new cars so the process is relatively fine-tuned. It does telegraph that you mean business, but also predicts that you'll probably be a hard bargainer.

I betcha dealers would prefer to finance cars actually as the whole monthly payment song-n-dance is a significant means of putting the buyer at a bargaining disadvantage. "Oh, you're hesitant to pay $2,000 extra for leather, sunroof and power seats? BUT THAT'S ONLY $30 EXTRA A MONTH!" (on a 60 month loan).

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on April 08, 2010, 01:05:21 AM
I guess that's why this thread is here, eh?

At the end of the day, you're not paying for the car + you really want it = your position is inherently weak. The dealer will know this. If you want specific recommendation on negotiations from an inherently weak position:

1. Decide the maximum you want to pay FOR REALZ. This means, if you don't get this price you walk. In your position I would choose $31,000 on a $35,000 car.

2. Take this price and subtract 5-10%. ~$29,000 is your first offer. Make the dealer work to get you up to $31,000 - floor mats, options, whatever. NOTE: any factory rebates would be subtracted from this price after the fact.

3. If the dealer balks or does the "I don't deal with low-ball offers" or "I don't do business like this" or whatever, immediately walk.

giant_mtb

So is 10-12% below MSRP a good first offer?