Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Minpin

Images of BMWs aside....I think they look really dated now anyways. Even the coupe looks OLD. I dunno what it is but they don't get me going like they used too.

Have you considered the C300? I think that would be among my first picks, honestly. Behind something like a Sierra or Silverado, of course. However, I take it you don't want a truck?
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Colin

Good to see someone else who's enamoured of the 4 rings.

I'm on my third Audi, having started with a used B5 model S4 that a colleague still has (on 160,000 miles), followed by three years in a B7 model S4 and the current steed, the simply fabulous S6.

Audi got some stick (deservedly) for the skewed driving position in the B8 model A4s when they appeared in rhd, though I must admit I did not notice it particularly when I had a loaner from the dealer when my car was being serviced. It was a 2.0 TDi 143, and - unusually - it was an SE, not an S-Line. I thought it a terrific car. You can read my conclusions here: http://www.themotor.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199:2009-audi-a4-20tdi-143-se-exec-gb&catid=1:road-tests&Itemid=11

Just one piece of advice if you are getting a manual car......... as it has a stupid electronic handbrake, you really do need the Hill-Holder feature. In the UK, this costs extra, but it is only about ?45. I'd say it is absolutely essential, as without it. you will find that hill starts are difficult and reverse hill starts are effectively impossible!

MX793

Hill holder isn't available in the US from what I glean off of Audi's website.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

I do not recall seeing anything about a hill-holder feature...perhaps they improved the handbrake and/or it's not available on US versions?  I dunno. :huh:

the Teuton

As someone who really "learned" to drive stick on hilly roads, I'd say it'd be cool. But since I'm a bit more experienced with it in Hilly-ass-ylvania, I'd say that once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad without the feature.

Subarus have hill holder in the US.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

The first drive I take with the car will essentially be the freeway slog home, which will be a good 7-8 hours to get used to the manual before I drive in any real traffic and stuff.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, poor, poor, A4. Let me take care of it for a while, and I'll let you burn up the clutch and grind the gears in teh Swift.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 07:24:02 PM
Oh, poor, poor, A4. Let me take care of it for a while, and I'll let you burn up the clutch and grind the gears in teh Swift.

The Swift deserves better than that!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 07:21:08 PM
As someone who really "learned" to drive stick on hilly roads, I'd say it'd be cool. But since I'm a bit more experienced with it in Hilly-ass-ylvania, I'd say that once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad without the feature.

Subarus have hill holder in the US.

Yes, but could you manage the hills with neither hill holder nor the ability to modulate the handbrake to keep you from rolling backwards?  I've done my share of taking off on hills and I still will use the handbrake to keep from rolling back every once in a while (especially when the car behind me is only 6 inches off my bumper).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Did any of you guys ever read about the girl who burned out her mom's clutch in a brand new Beetle after 48 miles in "Click and Clack?"

Do VWAGs have weak clutches or something?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 07:24:02 PM

Bah, humbug. I've driven stick enough times that the clutch shall not experience too much n00b-ness

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 07:26:24 PM
Did any of you guys ever read about the girl who burned out her mom's clutch in a brand new Beetle after 48 miles in "Click and Clack?"

Do VWAGs have weak clutches or something?

If she was riding the clutch, she could have burned it out in just about any car in 50 miles.  I've seen people cook wet-plate clutches, which are designed to be slipped a fair bit, in less than 30 minutes of vehicle operation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Minpin

giant_mtb

Are y'all implying I should forgo the manual and get a slushbox? :cry:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 07:51:07 PM

NO
I just think you should test drive a CPO 135i.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Minpin on April 03, 2010, 07:29:05 PM
C300, Giant?

I have to say, as much as I have an aversion towards the vast majority of MB's current line up, the C-Klasse is one sexy car.

If I were in Chris's shoes, I'd be all about a 1 series with the sport package and premium package.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 07:52:57 PM
I have to say, as much as I have an aversion towards the vast majority of MB's current line up, the C-Klasse is one sexy car.

If I were in Chris's shoes, I'd be all about a 1 series with the sport package and premium package.

NOMINATED FOR POST OF THE DAY.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

You don't need a handbrake or a hill holdy thing once you have a clue. I can count the number of times I've used the handbrake on a hill on one hand, ever, and I've lived in some hilly places.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colin

Quote from: Rupert on April 03, 2010, 08:01:02 PM
You don't need a handbrake or a hill holdy thing once you have a clue. I can count the number of times I've used the handbrake on a hill on one hand, ever, and I've lived in some hilly places.
With a manual gearbox car, I think you will find a handbrake is rather useful............

BimmerM3

Quote from: Colin on April 03, 2010, 08:07:12 PM
With a manual gearbox car, I think you will find a handbrake is rather useful............

He has two manual cars...

I have a manual car and other than parking, I VERY rarely use my parking brake, and I live in a pretty hilly area.

Rupert

Quote from: Colin on April 03, 2010, 08:07:12 PM

LOL, yeah, OK.

Of all the cars in my sig, only one was an automatic, and I only owned that for a few months. I lived on one of the many large hills in Eugene, OR growing up, and then I moved to Bellingham, WA, which, as Laconian and SecretChimp can attest, is basically one big hill.

I'm not going to say that a handbrake can't come in handy (oh, pun), but it's not like it's not possible to start up a hill without one.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 08:11:34 PM
He has two manual cars...

I have a manual car and other than parking, I VERY rarely use my parking brake, and I live in a pretty hilly area.

Aye.

Some of the cars I've owned have had pretty ridiculously long clutches (Volvo, the Fords), and with those, yeah, starting up a hill could be a bit nerve wracking, but they have either had non-operational handbrakes, or foot operated parking brakes, and I still got by.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 07:51:07 PM

FYI, you can get a C300 with a manual.

Eye of the Tiger

I USE MY HADBRAKS ALL THE TIMZ

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 08:46:41 PM
wat

MERCEDES-BENZ. THEY SELL C300s. SOME OF THEM HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.

Minpin

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 03, 2010, 08:46:41 PM
wat

Yea, brah, that's why I suggested it. It's a pretty slick car, imo.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 08:53:29 PM
MERCEDES-BENZ. THEY SELL C300s. SOME OF THEM HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.

WAT