giant_mtb

Quote from: Submariner on April 11, 2010, 08:47:45 PM
This thread got stupid, fast. 

I'd say 13-14 pages is pretty good for a thread 'round these parts. :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Submariner

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 11, 2010, 09:05:56 PM

As are you

If that retort was grammatically correct, I'd be inclined to take offense.   ;)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Stop ruining my thread. :cry:

:lol:

I'll probably start a new one for pics once I get the car.  Bitch on, SPINnaz!

:cheers:

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 08:48:35 PM
I'd say 13-14 pages is pretty good for a thread 'round these parts. :lol:

Not bad at all, but if this was a NACar vehicle thread, we'd be over 50 pages already.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: The Pirate on April 11, 2010, 10:39:32 PM
Not bad at all, but if this was a NACar vehicle thread, we'd be over 50 pages already.

Yeah, but at least half of those posts would be me and others saying single word things like "A4," "Audi," and other randomly related car-like words.

:lol:

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 11:21:29 PM
40:60, F:R

Rearward bias?  That's a recent development, I take it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: The Pirate on April 11, 2010, 11:24:25 PM
Rearward bias?  That's a recent development, I take it.

Ya dewd.

the Teuton

What about maintenance and upkeep costs?

Me? While I love me an A4 Quattro, I got to say I'd probably spend ~$20k on a decent used car and probably use the other $15k for making sure the car looks and runs 100%.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on April 12, 2010, 12:24:10 AM
What about maintenance and upkeep costs?

Me? While I love me an A4 Quattro, I got to say I'd probably spend ~$20k on a decent used car and probably use the other $15k for making sure the car looks and runs 100%.

I can do shit like change my own oil, brakes, etc.

BimmerM3

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 12:44:17 AM

Make sure you keep all the receipts for the maintenance items you buy so you don't void the warranty.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 12:44:17 AM

But can you reset the oil life monitor without some expensive special tool?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 12, 2010, 01:55:45 AM
Make sure you keep all the receipts for the maintenance items you buy so you don't void the warranty.

No doubt.  I'll get a log book to keep track of mileage for oil changes, as well as keep the receipts from the oil/filters.

And MX793, I've no idea about resetting the OLM.  In fact, I'm not sure if it has one.  Probably just some awkward, complicated pushing of buttons/pedals...

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

I wasn't sure about Chris' vs. Chris's.  Momma says it should be Chris's, but the Bible always says Jesus', so I went with that awesome source. :rolleyes: :lol:

Fuck it.  They're printed and at my house, and I doubt anyone will give a shit.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Minpin on April 11, 2010, 03:02:21 PM
Good lord, Audi is taking you for a ride. My dad got his Avalanche back in January. Sticker was ~50k, they did 10k off right away, and he got the OTD to 35k. Paying MSRP on cars is for suckers. In the case of Audi, where they can get people to pay MSRP, I would be going used, and looking for a car with ~5k on it.

To each his own.

That a shitty gas guzzling pickup from a company that was bankrupt not so long ago - whereas as it's already been said, Audi sales are up 40pc in the US YoY.

As for buying used, if I was paying for the car, I'd agree but given the circumstances here I think new is the best option.  We're talking a young driver who I assume will be paying for the running costs (insurance, fuel, servicing and any repairs).  Might as well get something with a warranty, reliable and relatively frugal, whilst at the same time being fun and aspirational.  If you're lucky enough to be in the position giant is in here, it's win-win as far as I can see.  Good luck to him.

nickdrinkwater

Unless I missed something, Minpin started this thread to ask for advice about the A4, not general life advice.  jeez.

I wouldn't spend my own money on the A4 but if it's what the guy wants then why the hell not?  Some of you dudes sound jealous.

Laconian

I believe Chris' is correct.

Laconian

If I was given the money to do whatever the heck I wanted with it, I'd buy a used car for less than half that amount of money and save the rest. But if someone was cutting the check for a car for me, and not allowing me to keep the windfall, then I'd do exactly what he did. Except not on an A4, though they are nice cars. ;)

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 12, 2010, 09:54:26 AM
That a shitty gas guzzling pickup from a company that was bankrupt not so long ago - whereas as it's already been said, Audi sales are up 40pc in the US YoY.

As for buying used, if I was paying for the car, I'd agree but given the circumstances here I think new is the best option.  We're talking a young driver who I assume will be paying for the running costs (insurance, fuel, servicing and any repairs).  Might as well get something with a warranty, reliable and relatively frugal, whilst at the same time being fun and aspirational.  If you're lucky enough to be in the position giant is in here, it's win-win as far as I can see.  Good luck to him.

:cheers:

Submariner

Anyways - best of luck to you with the car.  The new A4's are fine vehicles indeed.   :ohyeah:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

the LED's would have been a must for me personally
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 12, 2010, 10:40:39 AM
the LED's would have been a must for me personally

Yeah, but are they really worth the 3+ grand?  Maybe, but then it'd be out of my range. I could always upgrade later, plus I'm gonna spend most of my time driving the beast, not looking at it's LEDs. :rockon:

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on April 12, 2010, 10:39:20 AM
I support this post.

Additionally, PlastiCar.

The Road

hotrodalex

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2010, 07:16:48 AM
No doubt.  I'll get a log book to keep track of mileage for oil changes, as well as keep the receipts from the oil/filters.

And MX793, I've no idea about resetting the OLM.  In fact, I'm not sure if it has one.  Probably just some awkward, complicated pushing of buttons/pedals...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6136168_do-audi-a4-oil-change.html
http://www.driverside.com/mechanic-answers/reset_service_reminder-14097-29861?page_offset=0

I'm not sure if those are completely correct, but neither involve a tool so you should be fine.