Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Rupert

There's such a range of smoothness inherent in manual transmissions (Ranger = jerky, 'Sploder = smooth, but it's the same trans 0_o) and quite a range of what might be jerky, that I hesitate to say yes or no to the question.

My advice is to keep practicing making it smoother. Eventually, it will be as smooth as it can get. :ohyeah:

(Actually, the 'Sploder/Ranger difference it due to the weight of the 'Sploder giving it more momentum or inertia or whichever it is).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rich

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 03, 2010, 05:53:00 PM
When doing fast acceleration - and shifting - is it normal for shifts to be a little jerky?  As in, if I were accelerating quickly and shifting from first to second, but don't necessarily wait for the RPMs to drop to the ideal shift point and thus get a bit of a jerk...?  Is this normal?  Is there a modification to my technique that I can do?  I don't do many hard shifts or accelerations, but I'm just curious...

Laugh if you please. :huh:

I'm going to bet your car has a dual mass flywheel and electronic throttle mapping.  It's going to take some practice to get smooth, even longer with those two pains in the ass.

Edit:  and a low displacement, high booooost engine will make it harder to be smooth too.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 03, 2010, 10:25:24 PM
I'm going to bet your car has a dual mass flywheel and electronic throttle mapping.  It's going to take some practice to get smooth, even longer with those two pains in the ass.

Edit:  and a low displacement, high booooost engine will make it harder to be smooth too.

The whole purpose of a dual mass flywheel is to smooth vibrations out and I don't think it does anything to make shifting jerky.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

You should let your friends learn to drive stick on it and break it in. Cars love to be broken in to.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2010, 10:40:38 PM
The whole purpose of a dual mass flywheel is to smooth vibrations out and I don't think it does anything to make shifting jerky.  :huh:

.. the first mass of the flywheel catches, and then the second mass will catch, it's not as natural as... well... a Miata flywheel
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Kewl.  Figured as much, guys.  Yeah, I'm talking about WOT uber acceleration runs.  Practice shall make perfect.

The 1-2 shift is still pretty jerky under just normal driving 'cause holy cripes is first gear short.  I'm getting better at that, though.  I roll off the clutch a little slower.  Makes me feel like a gramma puttsin' around, but it'll come.

A4. :wub:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 03, 2010, 11:14:20 PM
Kewl.  Figured as much, guys.  Yeah, I'm talking about WOT uber acceleration runs.  Practice shall make perfect.

The 1-2 shift is still pretty jerky under just normal driving 'cause holy cripes is first gear short.  I'm getting better at that, though.  I roll off the clutch a little slower.  Makes me feel like a gramma puttsin' around, but it'll come.

A4. :wub:

You can probably shift into second at 5 mph or something.

giant_mtb

Pretty much.  It has many torques.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 03, 2010, 10:48:25 PM
.. the first mass of the flywheel catches, and then the second mass will catch, it's not as natural as... well... a Miata flywheel

I don't know, it's been a while since I've driven one, but it's just a vibration dampener and it shouldn't move so much that it makes it jerky between shifts.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 03, 2010, 11:31:24 PM
Pretty much.  It has many torques.

And for WOT acceleration, you can probably just do no-lift upshifts. Sure, it may bounce off the rev limiter and burn up, but it cool

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2010, 11:41:37 PM
And for WOT acceleration, you can probably just do no-lift upshifts. Sure, it may bounce off the rev limiter and burn up, but it cool

:rolleyes:

The Pirate

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 03, 2010, 11:55:16 PM
:rolleyes:

He's not totally messing with you.  I've done 'em before.  It's not an every day thing, but they are fun.  Nothing like squealing/chirping the tires on a 2nd or 3rd gear shift.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

I don't think my feet are physically capable of no-lifting it. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

Usually I spin the wheels on a hard 1-2 shift which decreases the jerk from the shift.... one time though I had a few large friends in my car and I didn't get any wheel spin and instead got a gigantic jerk that made one of my friends smack his head off of the window
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2010, 06:02:12 AM
Usually I spin the wheels on a hard 1-2 shift which decreases the jerk from the shift.... one time though I had a few large friends in my car and I didn't get any wheel spin and instead got a gigantic jerk that made one of my friends smack his head off of the window

:lol:

I don't think I'll be able to spin da wheels off a shift with dat Quattro tearin' at the road.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2010, 06:24:08 AM
:lol:

I don't think I'll be able to spin da wheels off a shift with dat Quattro tearin' at the road.

Just wait til October (or whenever it starts snowing in THE MOTHA FUCKIN' U.P.).

CALL_911

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 05, 2010, 01:32:34 AM
Just wait til October (or whenever it starts snowing in THE MOTHA FUCKIN' U.P.).

Can I instate a new rule?

It shall never be referred to as just "the U.P." it must always be called "the MOTHA FUCKIN U.P." or "the FUCKIN U.P." or any variation of that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

Or we could just stop saying UP and just say MICHIGAN.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 05, 2010, 05:56:53 AM
Or we could just stop saying UP and just say MICHIGAN.

Nah, 'cause the douchebags in the lower part don't care (or don't know) that we exist.  I refuse to be associated with their ignorant assholes and small penises!

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 05, 2010, 01:32:34 AM

I'll be downstate in October at school, brah.  No snow on the roads there pretty much...ever.  Except for the "storms" that come and cause everybody to drive <10 MPH on the freeway.

I'll have fun during Christmas break when I come back to THA MUTHAFUCKIN' U.P. :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 05, 2010, 11:58:35 AM
Nah, 'cause the douchebags in the lower part don't care (or don't know) that we exist.  I refuse to be associated with their ignorant assholes and small penises!

HEY

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

hotrodalex

Catman

saxonyron

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

I'm gonna be mad if I don't get more A4 pix.

giant_mtb

Here ya go! lol

Had to clean out my garage stall so I could put 'er in once it started snowing. :facepalm: