Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2010, 07:58:32 PM
OHTHATSRIGHT...

I've had to clean German brake dust before. Keep up with cleaning it off. It's a son of a bitch to clean that stuff once it's corroded.

I think on my next car I'm going to paint the wheels satin black or dark gray to hide the brake dust.  Yeah, you can try washing your wheels every few days, but then winter time rolls around and having tried scrubbing my wheels out in the driveway when it's in the 40s outside (so, late fall weather and not even winter cold), I can tell you that you'll soon say "screw it, I'll just let the dust build" while you're trying to thaw your hands.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 16, 2010, 08:02:31 PM
I think on my next car I'm going to paint the wheels satin black or dark gray to hide the brake dust.  Yeah, you can try washing your wheels every few days, but then winter time rolls around and having tried scrubbing my wheels out in the driveway when it's in the 40s outside (so, late fall weather and not even winter cold), I can tell you that you'll soon say "screw it, I'll just let the dust build" while you're trying to thaw your hands.

Take your car to the local DIY car and use the awesome warm, pressurized water inside and take a bottle of wheel cleaner with ya. :huh:

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on May 16, 2010, 08:01:53 PM
I have that problem with my car.  I'm just leaving it.  Fuck it.  I'm not buying new wheels.

There were customers that complained when their wheels were spotted with brake dust. One time, specifically, one of the service reps told a woman that if she brought her car in for regular maintenance and had her wheels cleaned more than once every 6 months, she wouldn't have had that problem.

Newer 5er, like yours. With free scheduled maintenance, there's really no excuse.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Professional oven cleaner works like a charm...unless you never wash your wheels. It'll tarnish chrome, but the matte wheels are perfect for it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2010, 08:06:51 PM
There were customers that complained when their wheels were spotted with brake dust. One time, specifically, one of the service reps told a woman that if she brought her car in for regular maintenance and had her wheels cleaned more than once every 6 months, she wouldn't have had that problem.

Newer 5er, like yours. With free scheduled maintenance, there's really no excuse.

Well, I never knew they offered wheel cleaning as maintenace.  I should have just had them washed more often.  To be honest, I don't really care that much.  I'm not all that fussy when it comes to my car.  Plus, it's not exactly convenient for me to bring the car in for servicing frequently.  The dealer isn't exactly around the corner from me, and they're only open Monday to Friday, when I'm working.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on May 16, 2010, 08:12:54 PM
Well, I never knew they offered wheel cleaning as maintenace.  I should have just had them washed more often.  To be honest, I don't really care that much.  I'm not all that fussy when it comes to my car.  Plus, it's not exactly convenient for me to bring the car in for servicing frequently.  The dealer isn't exactly around the corner from me, and they're only open Monday to Friday, when I'm working.

web.me.com/giant_mtb

:devil:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2010, 08:14:51 PM
web.me.com/giant_mtb

:devil:

Pretty good website.  When I'm out in Michigan yupping it, I'll let you know and you can detail that sucker.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2010, 08:08:14 PM
Professional oven cleaner works like a charm...unless you never wash your wheels. It'll tarnish chrome, but the matte wheels are perfect for it.

I was just gonna ask what's good for cleaning wheels. Danke Teutonicdude.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

Giant, you should call your business

C3
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 16, 2010, 08:05:34 PM
Take your car to the local DIY car and use the awesome warm, pressurized water inside and take a bottle of wheel cleaner with ya. :huh:

The only enclosed car washes around here are fully automated drive-thru types.  All of the DIY washes are open on two sides, meaning you'll still get plenty cold.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 16, 2010, 08:45:19 PM
The only enclosed car washes around here are fully automated drive-thru types.  All of the DIY washes are open on two sides, meaning you'll still get plenty cold.

They don't have closeable doors?  The ones around here do so you can close yourself in when you're washing and they have signs that say "please close doors after use" or whatever posted around.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on May 16, 2010, 08:12:54 PM

BMW sells stuff for $20/bottle at their dealerships, but it's very similar to the same purple oven cleaner the lot attendants use to clean the wheels. Really, it's like putting a roundel on a piece of shit and jacking up the price 2 or 3 times...except on a bottle of spray cleaner. I'd hate to see what their brillo pads would sell for.

the Teuton

We had to wear gloves with the stuff and had giant vats of it labeled 'LSD' (acid -- get it?). That stuff is mean on the skin and worse on the sinuses. But it'll make your wheels looks all shiny again!

giant_mtb

Acid is the only stuff that will really really really clean your wheels.  Doesn't really matter what it's called; whether it's oven cleaner, grill cleaner, engine degreaser, or wheel cleaner...it all works.  Wonderfully. :rockon:

dazzleman

Thanks for the tip, Teuton and Chris.  I would not have thought to use oven cleaner.

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 16, 2010, 08:00:10 PM
I really need to take my wheels off and clean them. It's been a month or so since I threw my new front brake kit on. My front wheels are definitely not the same color as the rears.

The Mazda was really bad at that too.  I was cleaning the wheels every week or two, it seemed.  Ceramic brake pads did wonders there.  Minimal dust at all now (if any), and they work very well too.  I'm definitely going to be staying with ceramic pads.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

Quote from: The Pirate on May 16, 2010, 10:15:30 PM
The Mazda was really bad at that too.  I was cleaning the wheels week or two, it seemed.  Ceramic brake pads did wonders there.  Minimal dust at all now (if any), and they work very well too.  I'm definitely going to be staying with ceramic pads.
They are better for the environment too, right? WA state is banning copper brake pads because it messes with the salmon's pathfinding abilities.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

The Pirate

Quote from: Laconian on May 16, 2010, 10:17:11 PM
They are better for the environment too, right? WA state is banning copper brake pads because it messes with the salmon's pathfinding abilities.

Interesting.  Copper is one of the main components of a semi-metallic brake pad, as far as I know.  Will ceramics become more prevalent now?  Similarly, organic pads used to contain asbestos, and those are long gone, with Kevlar being one of the components of organic pads that are still available.

I have no idea how bad ceramic pads are for the environment.  I'd be inclined to think that the impact is less than you'd find with metals.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Considering that ceramic is basically mud, yeah. :lol:

I suppose there could be additives and stuff, but whatev.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

I'm not sure I'd use any sort of acid-based cleaners on painted wheels.  Seems like something that would take the finish off.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Your car reminds me of how filthy my car is.  I used to be able to clean my car whenever I wanted to, but now... :cry:

Looking good. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 17, 2010, 04:19:14 AM
I'm not sure I'd use any sort of acid-based cleaners on painted wheels.  Seems like something that would take the finish off.

Painted wheels, yeah, you'd want to be careful.  But in the right dose, acid-based cleaners are about the best you can do for wheels. :ohyeah:  Just about any wheel cleaner you buy is slightly acidic...there's just a threshold where they become "too acidic."  I've read that a mix of about 10-12% acid and the rest water is good for wheels.  I've never mixed it myself, but who knows.

Colonel Cadillac

I always just use a sponge and water to clean my wheels.

hotrodalex

My BMW's wheels are pretty clean. I get all of it off except for the really hard creases with just soap and water. Switching to ceramic brake pads this last brake job helped as well.

If you guys want some heavy cleaning stuff, I have some organic solution stuff that is supposed to be diluted with water but I never do. I used it to clean the power steering box I picked up in the junkyard. Thing was covered in grease and that plus brake cleaner and a wire brush took it off pretty well.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 17, 2010, 06:13:14 AM
Painted wheels, yeah, you'd want to be careful.  But in the right dose, acid-based cleaners are about the best you can do for wheels. :ohyeah:  Just about any wheel cleaner you buy is slightly acidic...there's just a threshold where they become "too acidic."  I've read that a mix of about 10-12% acid and the rest water is good for wheels.  I've never mixed it myself, but who knows.

Depends on the pH of the acid, I would imagine...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on May 17, 2010, 10:42:36 PM
Depends on the pH of the acid, I would imagine...

Well, yeah.  I think in a lot of wheel cleaning acids, the acid used is phosphoric.  I could be wrong, but I think that's what it is.

giant_mtb

Poor Mach1 running race gas. :(

:praise:

r0tor

An RX8club member bought a set of super pricey volks in a matte bonze finish... after the first rain they became water spotted PERMANENTLY.  He bitched and the response from them was "You let your $3,000 rims get wet?!?!?!?"

:facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on May 19, 2010, 05:55:58 AM
An RX8club member bought a set of super pricey volks in a matte bonze finish... after the first rain they became water spotted PERMANENTLY.  He bitched and the response from them was "You let your $3,000 rims get wet?!?!?!?"

:facepalm:

Like buying super expensive diamonds? "Super expensive" is a little redundant there don't ya think?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna