Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

SVT32V

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 17, 2010, 06:13:14 AM
Painted wheels, yeah, you'd want to be careful.  But in the right dose, acid-based cleaners are about the best you can do for wheels. :ohyeah:  Just about any wheel cleaner you buy is slightly acidic...there's just a threshold where they become "too acidic."  I've read that a mix of about 10-12% acid and the rest water is good for wheels.  I've never mixed it myself, but who knows.

Many wheels are clear-coated, you don't want to use any kind of abrasive or strong chemicals on them.

giant_mtb

:orly:

:rastaman:

SVT_Power

Well it seems my mom's caught the Audi bug. She may be joining the A4 club soon. But in wagon form.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

SVT_Power

She actually dragged me to the Audi stealership today.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

You had to be dragged to an Audi dealership?

Catman

We have some friends with an A4 with 30K on the odo.  I think they have had every part in the car replaced at least once.  They had another one prior that was much better but this one has been so bad they will never get one again.  Repair costs are outrageous.  

saxonyron

Quote from: Catman on May 22, 2010, 07:13:37 PM
We have some friends with an A4 with 30K on the odo.  I think they have had every part in the car replaced at least once.  They had another one prior that was much better but this one has been so bad they will never get one again.  Repair costs are outrageous. 

Huh??  Any repairs should have been covered under warranty.  :huh:  I have only paid $475 for brakes on my A6, plus a set of tires and wipers.  No other repairs.  Audi covers all the maintenance even.  Mine's a CPO car, so I think I get a better deal, but even so, at 30k miles, warranty should cover it all, even a new one.  And I have only needed normal maintenance and one repair for a check engine light at about 50k miles. Of course that's not statistically significant, but in general Audi's have been scoring real well with Powers and CR.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Catman

Quote from: saxonyron on May 22, 2010, 07:35:23 PM
Huh??  Any repairs should have been covered under warranty.  :huh:  I have only paid $475 for brakes on my A6, plus a set of tires and wipers.  No other repairs.  Audi covers all the maintenance even.  Mine's a CPO car, so I think I get a better deal, but even so, at 30k miles, warranty should cover it all, even a new one.  And I have only needed normal maintenance and one repair for a check engine light at about 50k miles. Of course that's not statistically significant, but in general Audi's have been scoring real well with Powers and CR.

It must have a bit over 36K because the warranty is expired.  They took it in for pulsating brakes and a rough idle and they ended up doing the brakes, cylinder heads and the choke thing in the air box.  While it was at the dealer the drivers window stopped working. 

The Pirate

Quote from: Catman on May 23, 2010, 06:18:00 PM
It must have a bit over 36K because the warranty is expired.  They took it in for pulsating brakes and a rough idle and they ended up doing the brakes, cylinder heads and the choke thing in the air box.  While it was at the dealer the drivers window stopped working. 

Brakes are certainly a wear item, but the rest is unacceptable on a modern car with that mileage.  I'd probably be leery to buy another one too.  Hopefully their car was just as a lemon.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

I think that car is the exception. Like CJ's accord...

saxonyron

Quote from: The Pirate on May 23, 2010, 06:30:36 PM
Brakes are certainly a wear item, but the rest is unacceptable on a modern car with that mileage.  I'd probably be leery to buy another one too.  Hopefully their car was just as a lemon.

Not to sound to fanboy-ish, but it seems like this is more the exception to the rule.  Any car can be a lemon so that's the chance you take no matter what you buy.  Look at all the Toyota owners who used to be so smug.  :devil:  But I know that Toyotas are incredibly reliable for the vast majority owners, and the same is true for Audis.  My A4 ran 45,000 miles till I turned the lease in.  There was only one minor unscheduled "check engine light" stop at the dealers that didn't cost me a dime. Otherwise it was perfect.  But that's yet another reason why I prefer the CPO's at a year or 2 old. You get the full manufacturer warranty to 100,000 miles, plus maintenance to 75,000.  Come to think of it, I'm hitting 70,000 miles tomorrow. That means the next scheduled 75k mile maintenance is my last freebie.  :rage:  At least I have another year or so of no repair costs.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

I might talk my mom into a CPO. But it seems like there aren't many low mileage Audi CPO's to choose from. BMW has tons, but Audi doesn't seem to. We went to the closest Audi dealership and their newest CPO on the lot was a '08 I think.

The Pirate

Quote from: saxonyron on May 23, 2010, 10:42:50 PM
Not to sound to fanboy-ish, but it seems like this is more the exception to the rule.  Any car can be a lemon so that's the chance you take no matter what you buy.  Look at all the Toyota owners who used to be so smug.  :devil:  But I know that Toyotas are incredibly reliable for the vast majority owners, and the same is true for Audis.  My A4 ran 45,000 miles till I turned the lease in.  There was only one minor unscheduled "check engine light" stop at the dealers that didn't cost me a dime. Otherwise it was perfect.  But that's yet another reason why I prefer the CPO's at a year or 2 old. You get the full manufacturer warranty to 100,000 miles, plus maintenance to 75,000.  Come to think of it, I'm hitting 70,000 miles tomorrow. That means the next scheduled 75k mile maintenance is my last freebie.  :rage:  At least I have another year or so of no repair costs.

Nothing wrong with a little bias, we all have it.  I'm inclined to agree with you, hence the lemon comment.  But per Greg's original post, the car has a history of issues.  As much as I love Audi, that would personally leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Warranty work or not, a car doesn't do any good as transportation (or fun) when it's spending a lot of time at the dealership.  We're all funny that way, statistics may say otherwise, but if our specific example of a car proves to be unreliable, then many of us will have burned a bridge with that manufacturer.  You've got a solid MO, CPO with a warranty.  Were I to buy a nice car, that's the way I'd go too.

And fer chrissake, don't bring Toyota into this!  This is an enthusiast forum, are you trying to scare off the members?  :devil:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 22, 2010, 03:30:52 PM
Well it seems my mom's caught the Audi bug. She may be joining the A4 club soon. But in wagon form.

Do it!!! I take the new A4 out whenever I get the chance. It's got to be so much more fun than the A6 wagon.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 24, 2010, 11:13:25 AM

Do it!!! I take the new A4 out whenever I get the chance. It's got to be so much more fun than the A6 wagon.

We looked at a A6 wagon (CPO) briefly but she decided she liked the A4 wagon moar.

giant_mtb

I have discovered that AFour does have a sort of hill-start-assist function.  Essentially, if the handbrake is left on or engaged, a certain amount of throttle/clutch let-out/movement trips the computer to disengage the parking brake so the car can move and not roll back.  Nifty.  I've used it in real traffic a couple times, and discovered it accidentally when backing out of a parking spot and thought "hm, I should prolly turn off the handbrake!" but it had already done so for me once the car started to tug.

:rockon:

Raza

Is it a mechanical handbrake or an electronic one?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 26, 2010, 10:43:13 PM
I have discovered that AFour does have a sort of hill-start-assist function.  Essentially, if the handbrake is left on or engaged, a certain amount of throttle/clutch let-out/movement trips the computer to disengage the parking brake so the car can move and not roll back.  Nifty.  I've used it in real traffic a couple times, and discovered it accidentally when backing out of a parking spot and thought "hm, I should prolly turn off the handbrake!" but it had already done so for me once the car started to tug.

:rockon:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but a car can move forward with the handbrake on.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Why does the Audi A4 smell like brakepads now?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on May 27, 2010, 10:33:18 AM
Why does the Audi A4 smell like brakepads now?

A lot of times, I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.

It's not really an emergency brake. It's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 27, 2010, 11:06:59 AM
A lot of times, I'll drive for like 10 miles with the emergency brake. That doesn't say a lot for me, but it really doesn't say a lot for the emergency brake.

It's not really an emergency brake. It's an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

When did the emergency brake moniker come about?  I always knew it as a handbrake until I was in cars that had the brake pedal or button activated. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: Tave on May 27, 2010, 11:06:59 AM

Been there done that, but Chris's A4 has an electric handbrake so I imagine that isn't an issue.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Tave on May 27, 2010, 09:19:26 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but a car can move forward with the handbrake on.

No kidding, but it's an electronic handbrake and the indicator light turns off when I do the hill-start thing, and I can hear the servo disengage it. :ohyeah:

+ there's no foul smells or binding or slow movement.  I'm quite sure it's a failsafe for the very purpose of keeping you from driving with the handbrake on.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 27, 2010, 12:49:53 PM
No kidding, but it's an electronic handbrake and the indicator light turns off when I do the hill-start thing, and I can hear the servo disengage it. :ohyeah:

+ there's no foul smells or binding or slow movement.  I'm quite sure it's a failsafe for the very purpose of keeping you from driving with the handbrake on.
Is there a failsafe for the failsafe? VAG electronics, you know. :devil:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Reverse causes the clutch to make an odd, grinding-like sound?  Does not make the same sound in first when starting out, just in R.  Is there something different about R?  I don't gettttttt ittttttttttttttt.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 26, 2010, 03:55:59 PM
Reverse causes the clutch to make an odd, grinding-like sound?  Does not make the same sound in first when starting out, just in R.  Is there something different about R?  I don't gettttttt ittttttttttttttt.

Yeah, what's different is R goes the other direction form the other gearz. I bet it's not the clutch. Your tranny is toast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

It makes the noise right before the clutch fully connects the trans/engine.  Sounds similar to the sound you'd hear if your brakes were rubbing.