Too lazy to (use non functional) search. Star Trek?

Started by sportyaccordy, January 17, 2012, 10:09:57 AM

What is your favorite Star Trek

Original Series
2 (10%)
Cartoon (???)
0 (0%)
The Next Generation
10 (50%)
Deep Space Nine
2 (10%)
Voyager
5 (25%)
Enterprise
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

sportyaccordy

For me, Voyager.

If you don't like Star Trek you are not human.

93JC

Voyager? Really? Of all the Star Trek shows you picked Voyager?

SVT666

TNG without a doubt.  I didn't like the characters, acting, or writing on Voyager, though the idea was great.  I didn't like the characters on Deep Space Nine, and Enterprise wasn't too bad.  Scott Bakula was the weak link on that show and the Captain should never be the weak link.

hounddog

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 17, 2012, 10:09:57 AM
For me, Voyager.

If you don't like Star Trek you are not human.
Quote from: 93JC on January 17, 2012, 10:13:59 AM
Voyager? Really? Of all the Star Trek shows you picked Voyager?

I am with sporty on this.

There is something about stories of the heroics of underdogs which is appealing to me.  Visually, it was the best of the group and frankly, there is something remarkably sexy, yet completley believable about the captain.  It also made the most of the potential story lines.

And, while Deanna Troi was hot in the ugly-fat-popular girl kind of way, no one on any of the shows compares to 7of9.   :winkguy:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

S204STi

If Voyager wasn't so completely implausible it might have been good.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: S204STi on January 17, 2012, 10:37:14 AM
If Voyager wasn't so completely implausible it might have been good.
How is it completely implausible?

Do you know for certain there are no space stations with long lifed entities whos technology is capable of dragging a starship most of the way across a galaxy with plasma energy?

I thought not.

Next time you should think before you speak, fool.

:lol:  
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

S204STi

I was thinking more about the way the ship never degrades, never showed any signs of damage from its many conflicts, etc.  With TNG at least you could assume that after a clash with klingons that it could simply return to base for repairs.  But Voyager should have been a bit more dinged up by the end of the show, IMO.  I much prefer the style of BSG (no, I can't talk about Voyager without thinking of its much better alternative).

hounddog

That is because they are bestest in Starfleet at repairing it.

:huh:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Byteme

Let me answer the question this way.  Who would you rather bar hop with and later have by your side when baddies materialized out of nowhere and jumped you while you were staggering home?

Some baldheaded frog who would try to talk them to death or a man of action like Captain Kirk? 

Just remember, Picard was screwed in Generations, until Kirk came along and pulled his chestnuts out of the fire.

Raza

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2012, 11:05:41 AM
Let me answer the question this way.  Who would you rather bar hop with and later have by your side when baddies materialized out of nowhere and jumped you while you were staggering home?

Some baldheaded frog who would try to talk them to death or a man of action like Captain Kirk? 

Just remember, Picard was screwed in Generations, until Kirk came along and pulled his chestnuts out of the fire.

Picard knew how to delegate.  Clearly Kirk didn't have a crew he could count on. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I liked Voyager the best even before 7of9, though she was definitely a welcomed bonus. I feel like the characters and stories on Voyager were more developed. For example I don't recall too much internal strife with the TNG crew. Also the range of conflicts they faced was pretty slim. IIRC they also kept the same stock of characters throughout. And of course the Ferengi :facepalm: W/Voyager things are much more up in the air, at least to me. Plus 7 of 9's body is ridiculous. I mean come on. COME ON!!!

Eye of the Tiger

If Janeway was there, she would have roundhouse-kicked Soran in the face while Seven of Nine assimilated him with her nanoprobes.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26509.msg1651463#msg1651463 date=1326823698
Picard knew how to delegate.  Clearly Kirk didn't have a crew he could count on. 

Pfffft.  He had to delegate; Picard was weak, he needed a strong crew to carry him.  Picard wasn't fit to carry Kirk's codpiece.    :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 17, 2012, 11:09:15 AM
I liked Voyager the best even before 7of9, though she was definitely a welcomed bonus. I feel like the characters and stories on Voyager were more developed. For example I don't recall too much internal strife with the TNG crew. Also the range of conflicts they faced was pretty slim. IIRC they also kept the same stock of characters throughout. And of course the Ferengi :facepalm: W/Voyager things are much more up in the air, at least to me. Plus 7 of 9's body is ridiculous. I mean come on. COME ON!!!

Totally agreed. Voyager is the peak of the Star Trek series. Seven of Nine... just zomfg.
And B'elanna is prettt hot, even with that Klingon forehead. Kes is pretty smokin', in a kinda makes you feel like a pedophile but you don't care sort of way. And the Captain, I mean, yeah.

Raza

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 17, 2012, 11:21:35 AM
Pfffft.  He had to delegate; Picard was weak, he needed a strong crew to carry him.  Picard wasn't fit to carry Kirk's codpiece.    :lol:

Kirk was a micromanager.  The worst kind of manager.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 17, 2012, 11:22:55 AM
Totally agreed. Voyager is the peak of the Star Trek series. Seven of Nine... just zomfg.
And B'elanna is prettt hot, even with that Klingon forehead. Kes is pretty smokin', in a kinda makes you feel like a pedophile but you don't care sort of way. And the Captain, I mean, yeah.
B'elanna is from the hood. I respect her gangster.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26509.msg1651477#msg1651477 date=1326824735
Kirk was a micromanager.  The worst kind of manager.

No, he always went to Scotty and said what he wanted, needed and Scotty delivered.  No detailed instructions, just "I need full power Now". and it happened.

He didn't tell Spock how to run his science station, he just asked for results and he got them.

I don't think he ever won an argument with Bones McCoy.

And while I'm at it let me point out that the TNG Enterprise looks silly.

Hey, wait a minute.  I'm arguing about which imaginary authority figure is best.  I might as well be arguing about religion.  Then again, perhaps I am.  

93JC

Voyager was awful. The characters were boring, the actors were wooden, the writing was junior high level and I'm going to snap if I ever watch one more of those dumb fucking deus ex machina technobabble endings!

Voyager is for people who never saw DS9 or were too dumb to appreciate DS9.

sportyaccordy

To be fair, I have not seen DS9, the original, or Enterprise.

Xer0

Voyager was very hit and miss.  Some of the characters were a pain to watch (Kim, Tuvok, Neelix, Kess, Chakotea-or however you spell it, Paris) but some weren?t so bad (The captain, 7 of 9, the Doctor).  It?s main problem was the fact that nothing that happened in Voyager felt permanent.  The ship would be seemingly destroyed every other episode only to be Dues Ex Machina-ed back to normal by the end of it.  Or in the episodes that didn?t have a stupid time travel loop hole to fix everything, the next episode just showed a completely repaired ship anyway.  It never felt like they were alone and stranded in the Delta Quadrant and it was annoying.

Then you have the fact that Janeway, as fun as she was to watch, was an inconsistent captain at best.  She would flip flop between strictly adhering to Star Fleet protocol and Prime Directive crap and caring for her to crew to not giving a shit about any of it on a weekly basis. 

Voyager just was never able to impart the sense of loneliness and isolation that it needed to.  Further, it only had a handful of characters that weren?t boring.  And finally, it never felt like they were in any danger.  The show could have been amazing; unfortunately, it turned out pretty meh all around.

Laconian

DS9 is my favorite. The characters had really complex chemistry, the plots were meaty and exciting (after they switched to the serial format), and it was great to see the actors develop their chops. Avery Brooks was belting out A+ performances toward the end of the show.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

I'm slowly learning that as much of a nerd as I am, I pale in comparison to some of you guys.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Onslaught

1. STNG
2. DS9
3. Original
4. Voyager
5. Enterprise
6. Original Cartoon

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 17, 2012, 11:44:36 AM
To be fair, I have not seen DS9, the original, or Enterprise.
DS9 took about a season to work things out. It actually took less time to get going then STNG did. And from season 3 on it was really good. I'd even say that it had some of the very best ST stories ever.
The original had a mix of very good and very, very bad shows. I can give you a list of "must see" ones and "stay the fuck away" ones too.
Enterprise had some problems. They did throw out some damn good stuff from time to time. But it never really got it's footing. I really didn't like the actor playing the Captain and feel he's one of the reasons the show had problems.

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on January 17, 2012, 11:38:26 AM
Voyager was awful. The characters were boring, the actors were wooden, the writing was junior high level and I'm going to snap if I ever watch one more of those dumb fucking deus ex machina technobabble endings!

Quote from: Xer0 on January 17, 2012, 11:58:35 AM
Voyager was very hit and miss.  Some of the characters were a pain to watch (Kim, Tuvok, Neelix, Kess, Chakotea-or however you spell it, Paris) but some weren?t so bad (The captain, 7 of 9, the Doctor).  It?s main problem was the fact that nothing that happened in Voyager felt permanent.  The ship would be seemingly destroyed every other episode only to be Dues Ex Machina-ed back to normal by the end of it.  Or in the episodes that didn?t have a stupid time travel loop hole to fix everything, the next episode just showed a completely repaired ship anyway.  It never felt like they were alone and stranded in the Delta Quadrant and it was annoying.

Then you have the fact that Janeway, as fun as she was to watch, was an inconsistent captain at best.  She would flip flop between strictly adhering to Star Fleet protocol and Prime Directive crap and caring for her to crew to not giving a shit about any of it on a weekly basis. 

Voyager just was never able to impart the sense of loneliness and isolation that it needed to.  Further, it only had a handful of characters that weren?t boring.  And finally, it never felt like they were in any danger.  The show could have been amazing; unfortunately, it turned out pretty meh all around.

Exactly. On Voyager one got the impression that the show was rebooted after each episode. TV has only one advantage over movies. TV has much more time to tell a story. Movies have better sets, better effects, better everything. So use your 1 advantage, and tell a good story. DS9 and BSG understood that.

Imo DS9 had the most consistent quality, I also love TNG, however the first 2 seasons are mostly appalling.

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2012, 12:13:10 PM
Enterprise was teh dumbs.

I think the last season of Enterprise actually had some very good stories. If you have not seen them you need to see the Andorian/Romulan arch, Soong arch, plus the mirror universe episodes. 

My biggest beef was that the prequel aspect did not become apparent in the story telling. Activate armor was essentially the same as raise shields.

Eye of the Tiger