Give me your thoughts on a Porsche 944S

Started by Byteme, January 23, 2012, 11:31:06 AM

Byteme

I guess this is number 3 or 4 in a series.  Considering the next toy.

On these forums we've discussed the Ferrari Mondial, Fiat Dino and Lotus Esprit.

So what about a Porsche 944S?  In the spirit of openmindedness I've done a bit of research and see no obvious turnoffs, plus, good examples seem to be dirt cheap and they don't seem to be savagely expensive to keep on the road.  So give me your thoughts.  

cawimmer430

I thought you said you'd never buy a German car?  :confused:

Epinions 1988 Porsche 944: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/auto_Make-1988_Porsche_944
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Since you're now receptive to German cars, why not look at 911's?

SVT666

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 11:49:32 AM
Since you're now receptive to German cars, why not look at 911's?
I'm assuming they're too common for him.  He likes cars that nobody else has.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on January 23, 2012, 12:09:39 PM

944's are so cheap though. Anyone can get one in decent shape, just so they can say they drive a Porsche. It's an 80's tech, 7.5 second car that has nothing more than the name going for it.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 23, 2012, 12:09:39 PM

Well there is a bit of that but 944s aren't that uncommon.  Actually I have never liked the appearance of the 911, from the 60's when I first saw one to today.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 12:15:02 PM
944's are so cheap though. Anyone can get one in decent shape, just so they can say they drive a Porsche. It's an 80's tech, 7.5 second car that has nothing more than the name going for it.

944 S2s were more like 6.6 seconds and 150 MPH.  Not shabby.   

SVT666

GoCougs

I can't imagine the driving experience is worth the maintenance and repair costs (yes, I've known a few that have owned them). It's interesting I guess but ultimately is every bit the VW it was supposed to be (or at least in its first incarnation as the 924).

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on January 23, 2012, 12:30:23 PM
I see very few 944s.

Compared to some of the other things I've been looking at they are dirt common.  It's all relative though.  I like the fact it's got a galvanized body and generally rust isn't a problem (except around the battery tray). and it's a fairly rugged car.  It doesn't matter all that much for a plaything but I'm surprised the mileage isn't better given it's a small displacement engine, numerically low gearing, and under 200 HP.  (150 base, a 944S is 188 and the S2's are 200HP).

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 23, 2012, 12:53:09 PM
I can't imagine the driving experience is worth the maintenance and repair costs (yes, I've known a few that have owned them). It's interesting I guess but ultimately is every bit the VW it was supposed to be (or at least in its first incarnation as the 924).

We've been through this before, and it doesn't apply in John's case. Maintenance is part of the appeal and I totally understand where he's coming from.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
We've been through this before, and it doesn't apply in John's case. Maintenance is part of the appeal and I totally understand where he's coming from.

Not to worry.  I see a post from that guy concerning collector cars and I pretty much expect nothing more informative than this:

The same annoying noise time after time.

sportyaccordy

Have you considered a 2nd gen Camry V6? Same vintage, same curb weight, infinitely more practical and reliable, and by extension of added peace of mind, infinitely more fun

Naw but all jokes aside seems solid. Juat a little... "unexotic"

Payman

I already put forth my pick if I were in John's shoes... DeTomaso Pantera, 351 Cleveland, 40-50k range. Fast, sexy, and easy to work on.

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 01:46:04 PM
I already put forth my pick if I were in John's shoes... DeTomaso Pantera, 351 Cleveland, 40-50k range. Fast, sexy, and easy to work on.

Dog leg 5 speed FTW
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

mzziaz

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 01:46:04 PM

No, Ferrari 308 GT/4 is where its at.
Cuore Sportivo

Payman

Quote from: mzziaz on January 23, 2012, 01:55:31 PM
No, Ferrari 308 GT/4 is where its at.

Too mechanically involved and expensive for me, but otherwise a fine pick.

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 01:56:49 PM
Too mechanically involved and expensive for me, but otherwise a fine pick.

The only complaint I have about the Pantera is they look to me more like a kit car than a factory built vehicle with a lot of hand work thrown in.

Payman

Another fine, relatively inexpensive pick:

Byteme

Quote from: Rockraven on January 23, 2012, 02:10:03 PM
Another fine, relatively inexpensive pick:

Now you are talking my wife's lingo.  She loves those, in red of course.

Payman

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 23, 2012, 02:12:31 PM
Now you are talking my wife's lingo.  She loves those, in red of course.

Mine too, but in light blue.

Payman

Why not "buy her" one? You get the best of all worlds: massive pussy points (think of all the extra golfing, fishing, car shows, etc), and you get something nice to maintain and work on. Kind of like buying Victoria's Secret lingerie... it's a gift for BOTH of you.  :ohyeah:

SVT32V

Quote from: MiataJohn on January 23, 2012, 12:54:29 PM
Compared to some of the other things I've been looking at they are dirt common.  It's all relative though.  I like the fact it's got a galvanized body and generally rust isn't a problem (except around the battery tray). and it's a fairly rugged car.  It doesn't matter all that much for a plaything but I'm surprised the mileage isn't better given it's a small displacement engine, numerically low gearing, and under 200 HP.  (150 base, a 944S is 188 and the S2's are 200HP).

I thought they were all 3 liters, that isn't that small although it was a 4 cyl.

I think a turbo version would be pretty awesome.

If this porsche was an option I would go with a 928, to me, one of the sweetest sounding V8s of all time.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Better then that Porsche. I'd get a 914 before a 944.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Good luck finding one that hasn't been molested though.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on January 23, 2012, 03:57:00 PM

Good luck finding one that hasn't been molested though.
Oh you can. But it cost you an arm and a leg. And then I'll be mad at you for having one.