Chris Harris tells you to go buy GT-86

Started by 565, February 08, 2012, 06:29:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g&feature=player_embedded

Man is my hero, and if he's telling me to buy one, I think I'm gonna have to take a good long look.

Eye of the Tiger

That was a decent video.
I'll buy a sad little Genesis coupe while all you guise are flocking to the GT-86
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

This is the n00b who hates Miatas, right?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Xer0

Sound in that video was absolutely terrible, I couldn?t hear anything.

sportyaccordy

B-b-b-but it is slower than a RAV-4!

How can it be fun when it can't even break 0-60 in less than 7 seconds???

This is probably the most enthusiastic I have seen dude in any review. Way more enthusiastic than he was in the new 911, for example. The car is brilliant and a much needed reaction to the direction "drivers cars" have taken.

Cookie Monster

Fuck me, I really, really want a GT86 after watching that.

RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 08, 2012, 08:48:30 PM
B-b-b-but it is slower than a RAV-4!

How can it be fun when it can't even break 0-60 in less than 7 seconds???

Exactly. Why buy this when a RAV4 is quicker to 60 mph (not to mention a V6 Camry or even a 4-cylinder Camry and Accord). If you want true performance, get a Camry or RAV4 since they do 0-60 in a much quicker time. THAT'S PERFORMANCE!!!

:devil:

See? I took your sarcasm bait, but at the same time there are really so many real idiots out there who'd compare this cars "performance" to that of a Camry and claim the Camry is the better car because of its quicker 0-60 time...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 09, 2012, 04:17:52 AM
Exactly. Why buy this when a RAV4 is quicker to 60 mph (not to mention a V6 Camry or even a 4-cylinder Camry and Accord). If you want true performance, get a Camry or RAV4 since they do 0-60 in a much quicker time. THAT'S PERFORMANCE!!!

:devil:

See? I took your sarcasm bait, but at the same time there are really so many real idiots out there who'd compare this cars "performance" to that of a Camry and claim the Camry is the better car because of its quicker 0-60 time...
Well for some people performance is a priority. Plus you really exaggerate people's demands and do it every time someone asks for more performance. Plus you don't factor in American roads or driving requirements... i.e. a car that takes 11 seconds to get to 60 with just the driver will be downright scary when fully loaded with passengers merging onto the Belt Parkway. So it's not always about being a speed demon. And on this board a lot of people drive Miatas, which are like the antithesis of the "EVERY CAR SHOULD DO 0-60 IN <3 SEC" mantra. Point of all that being, as has been said many times, your schtick gets annoying and much of the time is not funny or even warranted.

But with this car, like I said before, if people are already demanding more performance, despite everyone whose actually driven it having nothing but good things to say, its clear those people don't get it. Driving pleasure goes beyond specs & test numbers.

Morris Minor

Replacing a good car's 300hp engine with a 150hp engine will lessen the goodness. Not saying it will make it bad, but it takes away the fizz.

This is why people buy fast cars if they can afford them.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Gotta-Qik-C7

It looks like a fun weekend car but I personally would want something a lil faster. Just my .02
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

I live at altitude and frequently drive in the mountains.  The 200hp at sea-level is roughly 170 here where I'm at, and at 9,000ft (where I find myself driving frequently) is making roughly 146hp, while my car is still making about 240hp at 5000ft, and 220hp at 9000ft. This means that even at 9000ft my car is still making more power than the GT86 at sea-level.  (My numbers BTW are not based on a stock WRX, since mine is not stock.  Which is another reason why the GT86 needs a turbo; the tuning potential).  The discrepancy is too much for me to ignore in a performance car, even if it turns a stronger skidpad than mine, sorry team.  If they don't offer a turbo I'm just not that interested.

Rupert

IMO, when you get to performance details that fine, you should just drive it before you judge it. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 09, 2012, 07:31:23 AM
But with this car, like I said before, if people are already demanding more performance, despite everyone whose actually driven it having nothing but good things to say, its clear those people don't get it. Driving pleasure goes beyond specs & test numbers.

This car is for purists. They derive their fun from handling, rowing their own gears and the spirited performance of this car. The car doesn't have to be blisteringly fast which seems to be the case here. It's a car that you can throw around in corners and it'll cope with ease. Fun.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 10, 2012, 03:56:15 AM
This car is for purists. They derive their fun from handling, rowing their own gears and the spirited performance of this car. The car doesn't have to be blisteringly fast which seems to be the case here. It's a car that you can throw around in corners and it'll cope with ease. Fun.

Are muscle car enthusiasts "purists?"

Onslaught

For the life of me I can't understand how people don't understand a car like this. You can't drive a 911 or even a 370Z at even half it's limits on a public road. You must take it to a track to get the real use out of it.
A car like this or the MX-5 can use a great amount of it's power and still be legal or close to it. You won't have to go to jail when playing around with it on the back roads on the weekend. And when you're driving it
you won't notice that you're not near as fast as other sports cars. Unless you're a red neck and drag racing a fast car at a light like and idiot. I've had my Miata on mountain roads here going 5 over the limit and
had WAY more fun then driving some of the other fast stuff I've been in over the years.

I'm more interested in these two cars then I am about any of the super cars or $50k + cars coming out now. I'm not getting one because I already have 2 cars like it. But I'll talk my girlfriend into one if I can.

MexicoCityM3

I am excited about this car. No news yet if it?s coming to Mexico in either form.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 09, 2012, 01:22:26 PM
Replacing a good car's 300hp engine with a 150hp engine will lessen the goodness. Not saying it will make it bad, but it takes away the fizz.

This is why people buy fast cars if they can afford them.
No fizz?! Did you watch the video? Chris Harris looked like he was having a fucking BLAST out on the track, and even without 300 hp.

have you ever considered that there's more to a car than just power, and that adding too much hp will just ruin the balance that this car is striving for?
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Onslaught

Quote from: thecarnut on February 10, 2012, 12:58:21 PM

have you ever considered that there's more to a car than just power, and that adding too much hp will just ruin the balance that this car is striving for?
Probably not. Some people think more is always better no matter what. More power and more grip is more better.
Now I'm a fan or more too. But sometimes less can be just as much or MORE fun.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2012, 12:22:39 PM
For the life of me I can't understand how people don't understand a car like this. You can't drive a 911 or even a 370Z at even half it's limits on a public road. You must take it to a track to get the real use out of it.
A car like this or the MX-5 can use a great amount of it's power and still be legal or close to it. You won't have to go to jail when playing around with it on the back roads on the weekend. And when you're driving it
you won't notice that you're not near as fast as other sports cars. Unless you're a red neck and drag racing a fast car at a light like and idiot. I've had my Miata on mountain roads here going 5 over the limit and
had WAY more fun then driving some of the other fast stuff I've been in over the years.

I'm more interested in these two cars then I am about any of the super cars or $50k + cars coming out now. I'm not getting one because I already have 2 cars like it. But I'll talk my girlfriend into one if I can.
I understand the target market for these twins but I can't understand how driving a 911 or 370Z at HALF of their limits won't be just as much fun!   :huh:  And as far as having to take the more powerful cars to a track to use the full potential that goes both ways. How often can you drive ANY car to it's full potential on public roads.

Onslaught

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 10, 2012, 01:07:05 PM
I understand the target market for these twins but I can't understand how driving a 911 or 370Z at HALF of their limits won't be just as much fun!   :huh:  And as far as having to take the more powerful cars to a track to use the full potential that goes both ways. How often can you drive ANY car to it's full potential on public roads.
Driving a 370 Z at half it's limit is dull as shit. I've done it. And a 911 would be a snooze fest too.

Full potential? Perhaps not it's FULL potential but cars like this can be taken very close or even full for a short time. And at much safer speeds then these cars you guys love so much. You drive 55 on a country road in a car like that and it's fun. You drive 55 in a 370Z or other car and it's like you're walking.  I can take my Miata to red line in the first 3 gears without putting myself or others in danger. I can't even do that in my "slow" RX-8 and be safe.

SVT666

I understand the appeal of this car.  I drive a 170 hp 2750 lbs performance hatch and I love it.  I still need to do super illegal speeds to get anywhere the limis, but there is still one thing I wish it had more of....power.  Not because I want to do 150mph, but because I also want 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds.  I love great handling, but I'm also addicted to horsepower, and I don't know what makes some of you believe that you have to give up one for the other.  You don't.

Rupert

IMO, freaking out about the power this thing makes is just dumb bench racing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on February 10, 2012, 01:14:07 PM
I understand the appeal of this car.  I drive a 170 hp 2750 lbs performance hatch and I love it.  I still need to do super illegal speeds to get anywhere the limis, but there is still one thing I wish it had more of....power.  Not because I want to do 150mph, but because I also want 0-60 mph in under 6 seconds.  I love great handling, but I'm also addicted to horsepower, and I don't know what makes some of you believe that you have to give up one for the other.  You don't.

You do at this price.

Onslaught

I'm not agains't power. I've thought about putting a turbo on the Miata just for fun. But really more for the fun of working on the car and trying to make it go faster more then the actual going faster part. So I'm in no way agains't "more power."
That said, cars like these can be a fucking blast and power isn't everything. For me in a car like that it's not even all that important. Sure I wouldn't want it to go 0-60 in 10 seconds. But it's won't need 300+ hp for me to like it too.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on February 10, 2012, 01:18:03 PM
You do at this price.
That's another thing. The car is cheap as shit. You start making it turbo or whatever and see the price jump up. And the insurance. And the weight.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on February 10, 2012, 01:14:07 PM
.  I love great handling, but I'm also addicted to horsepower, and I don't know what makes some of you believe that you have to give up one for the other.  You don't.
My point exactly!

Quote from: Onslaught on February 10, 2012, 01:13:30 PM
Driving a 370 Z at half it's limit is dull as shit. I've done it. And a 911 would be a snooze fest too.
On the road to my cabin I rarely got the C6 over 60 and I was still grinning ear to ear. I'm pretty sure these cars are a ball but I know before long I would crave more power.

mzziaz

An aftermarket turbo kit is gonna be available about 15 min after the car is launched, so you whiners can take it totally easy.
Cuore Sportivo

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: mzziaz on February 10, 2012, 01:24:52 PM
An aftermarket turbo kit is gonna be available about 15 min after the car is launched, so you whiners can take it totally easy.
No one is whining. We're just being honest with ourselves! I know for 25k I'd rather have something with more get-up and go than these two cars offer!

MX793

The crappy, narrow, OEM tires on my Mustang allow me to drive it at the limit without doubling the posted speed limit.  Gets extra fun when the roads are wet.  If I get on it hard even in 3rd gear, it will break the tires loose at ~50 mph if the roads are wet.  Learned that the hard way when trying to merge onto a highway in a light rain and it started to fishtail on me a little bit.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5