Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

Onslaught

I'd think the trade off would be MPG. I doubt the durability would be affected all that much.

r0tor

the worst that can happen is if you continually beat the living hell out of the thing, the soft factory engine mounts may develop problems because of the extra torque.  Stage 1 is pretty damn safe.

Cougs has no idea what the hell he is talking about.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 06:58:30 PM
The point of the other post- mr. dumber than before which is a fairly spectacular trick considering...- is that he's on a car forum trying to talk down a guy who wants more power on a car that he only wants to enjoy even more then he already does enjoy. 
That = fail

BlowCougs might as well go find himself a scrapbooking forum if he feels driving an Accord without any mods is enjoyable and wants others to experience daily the same thing.  ;)

I agree that Cougs is wrong, but there is no need to act like an idiot to say so.

What Cougs fails to realize is chip companies don't stay in business long by putting out shitty products. Someone's engine blows up or if even the drivability is not all that, thanks to this nifty thing called the internet word spreads quickly and business suffers.

The other thing Cougs fails to realize is that yes, while nobody can compete with OEMs in manpower and expertise, OEMs also have to design to a wide range of parameters that results in compromise. I mean the emissions, noise and gas mileage regulations alone put a huge damper on performance. Its those things that make almighty OEMs like Honda program rev hang between shifts to prevent unburnt hydrocarbons from making it to the cat... which is nothing but a detriment to performance. The stock tunes suck... they're often rich in weird places, etc. Its not unheard of for gas mileage to go up with a chipping, as AFRs are tuned to a somewhat set (and leaner) range by the aftermarket.

I think its a bit goofy to downplay the level of expertise in the aftermarket as well. Again, bad aftermarket outfits don't last long, and many of the good ones have ex-OEM folks and folks straight out of racing. I would value a successful race team's expertise on making power & preserving engine life not far behind that of an OEM. If anything the OEM's only advantage is in emission control, which is really of no value outside of inspections (to me at least).

THAT SAID, I agree that chipping a lease is a bad idea if you don't know how to work your way around a car. You can plan around scheduled services, but if you have to bring it in for a problem... :huh: I still think you should consider a cheap sports car and some track days over investing into the Jetta.

rohan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 27, 2012, 08:23:45 AM
I agree that Cougs is wrong, but there is no need to act like an idiot to say so.

Pot - meet kettle.  Kettle- meet pot.

:rolleyes:  :facepalm:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2012, 01:32:40 AM
I'd probably want to hear from people with Jettas who had their chip modded at that particular place. Cougs was (amazingly) correct that some guys in a shop have nothing on VW's engineers, and so there is bound to be a trade-off. My guess, as with almost anything that gets more power out of the engine, is that there will be an impact on long-term durability and gas mileage.

APR is a very successful and legitimate Audi/Porsche/VW tuning company; they have the largest team in GrandAm racing.  I'll be getting a chip from them if I ever come up with the extra money to do so.

As far as the tuning shops that install their products, I can't really say, but I suspect that they're mostly pretty legitimate and well-selected.  Or if one really wants to make sure it's done right, take a trip to the APR headquarters and have their guys do it.  But I mean, they build/engineer race cars and shit with their products all the time, so they probably are just a bunch of hacks that don't know what they're doing. ;)

http://www.goapr.com/

850CSi

Quote from: rohan on February 26, 2012, 06:59:58 PM
You are the most ridiculous car enthusiast forum member of all time. 

... says the person who refuses to drive a 5-series in the snow

giant_mtb

Quote from: 850CSi on February 27, 2012, 10:47:48 AM

He said he doesn't like to let his wife drive it when there's a lot of snow to avoid her getting stuck or in an accident.  Sometimes my parents will switch cars when we get a lot of snow so my mom can drive the Explorer and my dad will wrestle with the Grand Marquis.

What's not to understand? 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2012, 10:51:24 AM
He said he doesn't like to let his wife drive it when there's a lot of snow to avoid her getting stuck or in an accident.  Sometimes my parents will switch cars when we get a lot of snow so my mom can drive the Explorer and my dad will wrestle with the Grand Marquis.

... says the person who refuses to drive an A4 Quattro in teh snow. :evildude: :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hounddog

Quote from: 850CSi on February 27, 2012, 10:47:48 AM
And, in your vast six years of driving your lightly powered car in the winter, as opposed to his over 20 in rwd police and personal cars,  how many times did you drive with your young children in the car during bad road conditions?  

His reasons for not wanting to drive a higher horsepower car in the snow and ice are perfectly valid to anyone who has a family;  RWDs are not as safe in the snow, higher horsepower RWDs are even less safe.  Even if his sole reason is to protect the car from rust, and keep it pretty, it is really none of your business.

The car belongs to him and his wife, so who the bloody hell are you to tell him how to keep his kids safe when you, and all of the other non-family having guys here, have exactly zero experience from which to speak?

Have a couple kids and drive them around in the winter, then come back here and talk shit.  Otherwise, shut the hell up about it and get off his back.  Rohan is perfectly in his rights to decide whether or not a car is safe enough or not in certain conditions for his wife and kids.  

God damn.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2012, 01:32:40 AM
I'd probably want to hear from people with Jettas who had their chip modded at that particular place. Cougs was (amazingly) correct that some guys in a shop have nothing on VW's engineers, and so there is bound to be a trade-off. My guess, as with almost anything that gets more power out of the engine, is that there will be an impact on long-term durability and gas mileage.

Of course there is a trade off. You aren't going to get something for nothing (or in the is case the price of a chip).

The OEM settings are designed for general drivability, reliability, performance, emissions for 50,000 miles or more, economy and durability.  And the car has to deliver that consistantly for thousands and thousands of miles You can't enhance one of those without giving something up somewhere else.  co
It's a lot like the old racer's saw, "Performance, Reliability, Low Cost.  Pick any two.  

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2012, 10:51:24 AM

Some of the most fun I had behind the wheel was in a rear wheel drive Dodge Charger with wide oval tires in the snow in the 60's.  All wheel drive, snow rated tires, traction and stability control all have taken a lot of fun out of winter driving.

GoCougs

Took a tour of the APR website. I'd be wary as I see snake oil techniques; using a chassis dyno, and in addition to claiming improved efficiency (note, not "mpg") and durability, not a single word of tradeoffs. Really? All these improvements with no tradeoffs save for the purchase price? What did VW's army of engineers miss?

Also, as Raza alluded to in the original post, would ~50 add'l horsepower without addressing the chassis or suspension benefit the driving experience overall? My hunch is no, and exactly why VW has stuck with ~200 hp for the 2.0T for going on seven model years in both the FWD cars (GTI, GLI, Beetle Turbo, etc.).

850CSi

Quote from: hounddog on February 27, 2012, 11:09:10 AM
And, in your vast six years of driving your lightly powered car in the winter, as opposed to his over 20 in rwd police and personal cars,  how many times did you drive with your young children in the car during bad road conditions? 

His reasons for not wanting to drive a higher horsepower car in the snow and ice are perfectly valid to anyone who has a family;  RWDs are not as safe in the snow, higher horsepower RWDs are even less safe.  Even if his sole reason is to protect the car from rust, and keep it pretty, it is really none of your business.

The car belongs to him and his wife, so who the bloody hell are you to tell him how to keep his kids safe when you, and all of the other non-family having guys here, have exactly zero experience from which to speak?

Have a couple kids and drive them around in the winter, then come back here and talk shit.  Otherwise, shut the hell up about it and get off his back.  Rohan is perfectly in his rights to decide whether or not a car is safe enough or not in certain conditions for his wife and kids. 

God damn.

r0tor

The 2.0T is no where near the point of asploding with a stage 1 tune.

Why is it not stage 1 from factory?  Well it needed to fit under the weak VR6 in some models, one way to increase fuel economy is to lower boost and power, even though it requires premium fuel an OEM is not going to trust the owners and actually tune the engine to the point of needing premium, there is only so much control of tolerances of the maf/fuel injectors/O2 sensors so the factory tune is going to be even more safe.

So yea, the APR shit is not snake oil in the least bit...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 27, 2012, 10:56:31 AM
... says the person who refuses to drive an A4 Quattro in teh snow. :evildude: :lol:

Never refused.  I drove it all last winter.  And in about a week I'll be driving it again...in the winter. ;)

giant_mtb

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 27, 2012, 11:41:00 AM
Some of the most fun I had behind the wheel was in a rear wheel drive Dodge Charger with wide oval tires in the snow in the 60's.  All wheel drive, snow rated tires, traction and stability control all have taken a lot of fun out of winter driving.

I have a shitload of fun in the snow with AWD. :huh:

Byteme

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2012, 01:44:31 PM
I have a shitload of fun in the snow with AWD. :huh:

Nah, you need that element of danger, of always being on the verge of losing control and spinning off a cliff to truely have fun.  You'll know you've had fun if you get home and the driver's seat is wet and it's not from melting snow.   :ohyeah:

With all wheel drive you can attain speeds that can cause injury before you lose it.  With rear wheel drive you'll lose it at 5-10 MPH, not even fast enough to cause the airbags to deploy.   ;) 

hounddog

Quote from: 850CSi on February 27, 2012, 12:45:22 PM

I am.

You guys went after him for laughing at Cougs (and he was right for doing so), then, when he answered your questions you went after him for that as well just because, wait for it, you have a fraction of time behind the wheel he does.  And, to compound the problem, you have none of his responsibility with being a father. :huh:

WTF is that?  Talk about immature.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on February 26, 2012, 09:14:04 PM
If you're going to keep it and want it chipped then do it.
If you're not keeping it then don't.

For the record I kind of agree with some of the things Cougs said.

I somewhat agree with him as well.  But then again, I also know guys who have made their cars markedly and dramatically better through modifying, so it's really a buyer beware thing.  Any time you tinker, you run the risk of making it worse.  And I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 12:18:18 PM
Also, as Raza alluded to in the original post, would ~50 add'l horsepower without addressing the chassis or suspension benefit the driving experience overall? My hunch is no, and exactly why VW has stuck with ~200 hp for the 2.0T for going on seven model years in both the FWD cars (GTI, GLI, Beetle Turbo, etc.).

The Scirocco R has well over 200 hp from the 2.0T in FWD guise.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 27, 2012, 01:55:20 PM
Nah, you need that element of danger, of always being on the verge of losing control and spinning off a cliff to truely have fun.  You'll know you've had fun if you get home and the driver's seat is wet and it's not from melting snow.   :ohyeah:

With all wheel drive you can attain speeds that can cause injury before you lose it.  With rear wheel drive you'll lose it at 5-10 MPH, not even fast enough to cause the airbags to deploy.   ;) 

Everybody has different ideas of fun. :huh: :ohyeah:

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on February 27, 2012, 03:02:57 PM
I somewhat agree with him as well.  But then again, I also know guys who have made their cars markedly and dramatically better through modifying, so it's really a buyer beware thing.  Any time you tinker, you run the risk of making it worse.  And I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

My neighbors gti has the Apr stage 1... its a good thing

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 27, 2012, 03:02:57 PM

Yes, you do run that risk.

You never struck me as an incredibly risk-averse kind of guy.

The chances are higher that you'll wreck the car before the evil unauthorized chipset has a chance to blow it up anyways
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

And with those APR chips, you can get multiple programs and can choose any program (including Stock) at any time.  It's some extra money, but perhaps worth it if one is concerned with mileage or longevity when running a modified program all the time.

MrH

Quote from: hounddog on February 27, 2012, 02:50:25 PM
I am.

You guys went after him for laughing at Cougs (and he was right for doing so), then, when he answered your questions you went after him for that as well just because, wait for it, you have a fraction of time behind the wheel he does.  And, to compound the problem, you have none of his responsibility with being a father. :huh:

WTF is that?  Talk about immature.

He lashed out at Cougs about something he doesn't have the faintest idea about.  Cougs is right, sorry guys :huh:.  If someone is just going to lash out like that, they're just kind of asking to be made fun of.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Cougs isn't really right. Obviously gas mileage might suffer, but a stage 1 chip isn't going to kill his engine in 5,000 miles. As long as the lease isn't an issue, he should have no problem with it.

r0tor

Cougs is not even remotely close to being right in this thread

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 05:49:30 PM
Cougs is not even remotely close to being right in this thread

Cougs isn't that far off: if you modify anything, you're bound to change its life span in some way. Its reasonable to assume that an engine making more power works harder, and wears out quicker.

My response is basically: yeah? so?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

VAG themselves have 2.0T engines creating more power then an Apr stage 1 tune... there is zero frikkin downside to this