Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 06:06:13 PM
VAG themselves have 2.0T engines creating more power then an Apr stage 1 tune... there is zero frikkin downside to this

I don't see why everyone's making such a large fuss, either. :huh:

Cookie Monster

VAG themselves have 2.0T engines creating more power then an Apr stage 1 tune... there is zero frikkin downside to this
Just wondering, but is there a difference between Raza's 2.0T vs one from the Scirocco? Different pistons, rings, rods, etc could be the difference...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CALL_911

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 27, 2012, 05:45:23 PM
Cougs isn't really right. Obviously gas mileage might suffer, but a stage 1 chip isn't going to kill his engine in 5,000 miles. As long as the lease isn't an issue, he should have no problem with it.

If you think that's what he said, reread the post. He's spot on. In the long term, I'd assume a chipped 2.0T would be more likely to fuck up the engine than a stock car. His outline of the possible concerns chipping a car was correct.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2012, 05:11:44 PM
And with those APR chips, you can get multiple programs and can choose any program (including Stock) at any time.  It's some extra money, but perhaps worth it if one is concerned with mileage or longevity when running a modified program all the time.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 27, 2012, 06:23:48 PM
If you think that's what he said, reread the post. He's spot on. In the long term, I'd assume a chipped 2.0T would be more likely to fuck up the engine than a stock car. His outline of the possible concerns chipping a car was correct.

OK then, start trying to find cases of a stage 1 Apr tune futzing up an engine... that or join the clueless club and shut it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

I don't see APR doing it the exact same way, or having the exact same resources for testing- and I don't see that owners who modify their cars for more power are driving the same way the average VW owner does either. I don't think there are enough chipped cars out there to form a statistically viable bell curve for what happens afterwards: and certainly not many where that's the only modification.

There is a potential downside: but nothing that would effect my decision. I'm smart enough to relaize that there's a healthy safety margin built into most engines these days that can be exploited without serious consequences: and that's good enough for my purposes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 27, 2012, 06:28:26 PM
When did anyone dispute that? You're not wrong.

So I don't understand why everyone cares so much.  Yeah, sure, it is possible that the chip could reduce reliability/longevity of the car.  Is it likely to happen or make a huge impact on either of those?  No, most likely not.  For cripe's sake, you people talk about a chip like it's the anti-Christ.

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on February 27, 2012, 06:19:17 PM
Just wondering, but is there a difference between Raza's 2.0T vs one from the Scirocco? Different pistons, rings, rods, etc could be the difference...

Here's what I found:

- Lower compression forged pistons
- strengthened connecting rods
- enlarged wrist pins
- stronger piston rings
- upgraded bearings
- reinforced engine block
- upgraded camshafts (longer duration)
- upgraded injectors (+13% flow)
- larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI)
- larger intercooler (+30%)
- relocated bypass valve
- timing chain rather than timing belt

r0tor

All that and you missed the fact the scirocco R has an FSI engine and not the TSI in the gti....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on February 27, 2012, 03:21:46 PM
The Scirocco R has well over 200 hp from the 2.0T in FWD guise.

Completely different car than the plebeian Golf, Jetta, etc. It will have the right goods to use the extra power; not only a much beefed up engine (see previous post) but also the suspension, chassis, and drive train parts to make it work well and reliable.

r0tor

this is about the equivalent of telling a camaro owner his engine is going to be over stressed by installing an exhaust system... yeesh, this forum is getting more unthusiast by the day

GoCougs

Why does "chipping" void a warranty?

Why doesn't VW use such a cheap method to get significantly more performance out of a fairly stale engine?

Sorry guys, there are tradeoff(s) with "chipping" a F/I car by ~50hp. The only thing left to do is to figure out how big they'll be, and whether you'd be able to live with 'em.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 06:56:26 PM
this is about the equivalent of telling a camaro owner his engine is going to be over stressed by installing an exhaust system... yeesh, this forum is getting more unthusiast by the day
He asked what was the worst that could happen for a reason... I don't think anyone explicitly said not to, but there are other considerations to keep in mind when talking about a high mileage daily driver...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 06:56:26 PM

Knowledge, facts, and data are not unenthusiast.  :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 06:57:37 PM

Why doesn't VW use such a cheap method to get significantly more performance out of a fairly stale engine?

Sorry guys, there are tradeoff(s) with "chipping" a F/I car by ~50hp. The only thing left to do is to figure out how big they'll be, and whether you'd be able to live with 'em.

Because not every car is meant to come from the factory with the most possible power?  If that were the case, we'd all be driving cars that do 0-60 in 4 seconds. :rolleyes:

We're not retarded...of course there will be tradeoffs, but you guys continue to talk about it like it's the worst idea ever.  For CarSPIN's sake you guys are getting lame (or perhaps old).

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 06:43:55 PM
All that and you missed the fact the scirocco R has an FSI engine and not the TSI in the gti....

That is not knowledge, fact or data. He specifically asked for technical info, not a moniker or trade name.

r0tor

Do you have any knowledge of the design of a tsi engine, of tuning a boosted engine, have any facts of actual problems caused by the tune, facts as to any of the design Max allowable stresses of any of the engine components, or data of any failures caused by a pretty safe tune like the stage 1?

Also, chipping does not void your warranty.  The manufacturer needs to PROVE that a modification caused a failure to deny a warranty claim.

giant_mtb

It's okay, Cougs knows more about all of those things than APR.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2012, 07:00:33 PM
Because not every car is meant to come from the factory with the most possible power?  If that were the case, we'd all be driving cars that do 0-60 in 4 seconds. :rolleyes:

We're not retarded...of course there will be tradeoffs, but you guys continue to talk about it like it's the worst idea ever.  For CarSPIN's sake you guys are getting lame (or perhaps old).

Why would an automaker spend hundreds of millions $$$ (or more) to develop an engine to only neuter it? They don't do that. Ever. Designing and building cars is a cutthroat business like any other.

To me it seems that those who don't understand how "chipping" works are the ones building the "worst idea ever" strawman. There WILL be tradeoffs, and for a higher mileage F/I daily driver, I don't think they'd be insignificant.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:01:12 PM
That is not knowledge, fact or data. He specifically asked for technical info, not a moniker or trade name.

The difference between a tsi engine and a modified fsi engine is not just a letter on an engine cover... pretty substantial differences actually..  Go ahead though and keep doing 2 minute google searches to attempt to know what your talking about.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
Why would an automaker spend hundreds of millions $$$ (or more) to develop an engine to only neuter it? They don't do that. Ever. Designing and building cars is a cutthroat business like any other.

To me it seems that those who don't understand how "chipping" works are the ones building the "worst idea ever" strawman. There WILL be tradeoffs, and for a higher mileage F/I daily driver, I don't think they'd be insignificant.

God forbid.  The entire aftermarket should just cease to exist, then?  :wtf:

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM

Oh please tell me what these trade offs are exactly...and I mean exactly

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:08:05 PM
The difference between a tsi engine and a modified fsi engine is not just a letter on an engine cover... pretty substantial differences actually..  Go ahead though and keep doing 2 minute google searches to attempt to know what your talking about.

Uh, didn't I just list the "substantial differences?"

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 06:41:44 PM
Here's what I found:

- Lower compression forged pistons
- strengthened connecting rods
- enlarged wrist pins
- stronger piston rings
- upgraded bearings
- reinforced engine block
- upgraded camshafts (longer duration)
- upgraded injectors (+13% flow)
- larger K04 turbo producing 1.2 bar of boost (+3 PSI over K03 equipped GTI)
- larger intercooler (+30%)
- relocated bypass valve
- timing chain rather than timing belt

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:11:46 PM
Oh please tell me what these trade offs are exactly...and I mean exactly

Ha, ha. NO. You turkeys turning this into a troll fest get to stew in your own sick.

r0tor

And again you missed the entire point about the engine your posting about not even being the same basic design as the tsi variant in the gti... fundemental differences like one having a timing chain

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:16:19 PM
Ha, ha. NO. You turkeys turning this into a troll fest get to stew in your own sick.

I've tuned my engine myself and tuned a few others and actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, how about you?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 06:57:37 PM

It doesn't.

Unless the modification caused the failure.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:17:29 PM
And again you missed the entire point about the engine your posting about not even being the same basic design as the tsi variant in the gti... fundemental differences like one having a timing chain

Again, the moniker that adorned the intake cover is irrelevant. He asked for technical info, he received it, and of course there are fundamental differences - the power difference is substantial.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:20:16 PM
I've tuned my engine myself and tuned a few others and actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, how about you?

You troll, you prove. I will judge fairly.