fog lights

Started by veeman, June 05, 2012, 07:04:18 AM

veeman

At night particularly on local roads where there are no or few street lamps but also on poorly lit highways and parkways, I find keeping my fog lights on is very helpful.  Particularly if the area is heavily wooded or there are a lot of parked cars on the shoulder, it's much easier to see darting deer or pedestrians.

I find that most other vehicles even if they have fog lights don't keep them on though.  I always wonder why not?  Even if the road is relatively well lit, is there any downside?  Are there any circumstances where its illegal to keep them on?

280Z Turbo

Shouldnt be. The cut line is required to be below the headlamps. As long as they're properly aimed I see no problem.

giant_mtb

I like to have mine on, too, for the most part.  Definitely helps in the nearer-field vision, and mine seem to have a nice wide spread which, like you said, makes keeping an eye out for deer or other animals a little easier.  In fact, I wish I could keep my fog lights on while my brights are on.  I don't think it's illegal ever to have them on. 

Rupert

Only problem is that the more light closer in can cause your eye to concentrate closer in, too, which can lead to not seeing stuff further out. IMO, if you need fog lights to drive in the non-fog/rain/snow, you really just need better headlights.

Also, if your fogs are lighting past the low beams and not just filling in closer, they are not fogs, are terribly aimed, or are terrible in the actual fog.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colin

Completely illegal in Europe to use them unless visibility is degraded.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Colin on June 12, 2012, 02:01:36 PM

I have no idea why.

Maybe your aiming is different.

S204STi

Seems absurd to ban their use when xenon HIDs put out as many or more lumens as any combination of halogen lamps and fogs.

Rupert

I don't generally notice an improvement in brightness or coverage with fogs in good weather. If they're good fogs, you get some extra light out to the sides close-in, but you can't really use that if you are going faster than 25 mph since by the time something is in that light, it's too late to react.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

93JC

I never turn my fog lights on. They're useless, I barely notice they're on.

S204STi

Mine are now obsolete.  Thinking I'll return them to stock and just keep them off all the time unless I have a burnout on one of my mains.

Rich

I liked the ones on the MINI.  Nice wide and low pattern, great for seeing curbs in city/suburbia.  The Miata's and Mustang's are pretty worthless.

(IMO)
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Quote from: 93JC on June 12, 2012, 09:02:29 PM
I never turn my fog lights on. They're useless, I barely notice they're on.

Stockers are generally pretty shitty. The stock Hellas on the 944 are OK, and I put Hellas on the Explorer, also OK. It's is a pretty marginal difference, even in the rain/fog/snow.

Eye of the Tiger

Driving lights are hella better. I wired Swift's to switch on with the high beams. Ultra high beams. Was illegal for state inspection, though. Stupid heads.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, I also have huge Hella driving lights on the Explorer with 100 W bulbs. They're wired like that, but with one more switch to turn them off if necessary. Porsche doesn't need 'em, 'cause it has 100 W high beams. :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: S204STi on June 12, 2012, 08:50:53 PM
Seems absurd to ban their use when xenon HIDs put out as many or more lumens as any combination of halogen lamps and fogs.

Yeah, I have xenon HID headlights and halogen fog lights. They DO serve a purpose in foul weather (I live in an area prone to tidal flooding), but in good weather they're pointless and I don't use them.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: S204STi on June 12, 2012, 08:50:53 PM
Yep. Hell even good halogen headlights give a good spread. I have 1 GSXR projector on my bike and I am always surprised by its coverage in pitch darkness. Still gonna upgrade though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on June 12, 2012, 02:01:36 PM

Yeah, same here. You can face hefty fines and points on your license for using fog lights in un-foggy weather. Ridiculous in my opinion since sometimes on a dark and rainy night I find them helpful, especially out in the middle of nowhere!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

I know state driving manuals often caution drivers to use fog lights only when conditions call for them. I don't know whether any state has laws on the books like Colin mentioned, although it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Whether they're actually enforced is a separate issue.

Aiming them towards the ground doesn't exactly fix the issue. If other drivers can see the light, and they always can, then it adds to the glare. And the light that doesn't hit the drivers directly is reflected off the ground in many situations, also adding to the glare.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on June 12, 2012, 08:59:48 PM
I don't generally notice an improvement in brightness or coverage with fogs in good weather. If they're good fogs, you get some extra light out to the sides close-in, but you can't really use that if you are going faster than 25 mph since by the time something is in that light, it's too late to react.

At least you get to see the deer before you hit it. 

I have been without fog lights for four years.  I kept almost having them installed, but then kept not caring enough to do it.  I do like the way they look though, and I do like the extra light.  But, whatever.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I love to have them + side lights on and have the headlights off. Yea its stupid but it looks cool as shit.

S204STi

For me the solution would look like 3000K HIDs retrofitted into the stock projector housings.  Probably still absurd to have that much lighting aimed that close to me though.

280Z Turbo

I am really not a lighting enthusiast. Funny, considering what my job is.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 13, 2012, 09:48:32 PM
I am really not a lighting enthusiast. Funny, considering what my job is.

I just like seeing good. :huh:

Rupert

I was playing with my fogs today, and they did add some light, but it was all close in, which is not what you want.

AutobahnSHO

It's illegal to use them in non-foggy conditions because of the glare off the road surface to oncoming drivers.

I kinda wish I had some to point really wide for cornering at night, but oh well..
Will

280Z Turbo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 14, 2012, 03:22:36 PM
It's illegal to use them in non-foggy conditions because of the glare off the road surface to oncoming drivers.

I kinda wish I had some to point really wide for cornering at night, but oh well..

It's never bothered me. HIDs bother me more than foglights.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 14, 2012, 03:43:47 PM
It's never bothered me. HIDs bother me more than foglights.

Trucks/SUVs with HIDs are the worst.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on June 14, 2012, 03:46:06 PM
Trucks/SUVs with HIDs are the worst.

Yep.  Usually poorly aimed to begin with, then also so far above the typical field of vision of most drivers that there's no escaping the glare.

93JC

HIDs!! :rage:

HIDs should be illegal. I hate them with a passion.

TurboDan

Quote from: 93JC on June 14, 2012, 04:33:49 PM
I hate them with a passion.

You'll hate them until you buy a car that has 'em.  :lol: :ohyeah: