Camaro 1LE gets destroyed by BOSS 302

Started by 68_427, August 02, 2012, 12:56:52 PM

68_427

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Full article:

http://jalopnik.com/5931109/camaro-1le-around-the-block

"The Boss 302 Mustang Laguna Seca was the undisputed muscle car track king, but, like Phelps, its reign isn't infinite. All bow down to the Camaro 1LE, your new king."

Wow.

Cheaper than the Boss.  Better numbers.  Squared tire setup.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Impossible, since 1LE is not a cool name like Baws 302
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Um, you reversed the title of the thread - according to the article the Camaro 1LE bested the Boss 302 by 4.5 seconds at VIR...

Also of note the 1LE does NOT have the magnetic shock suspension; just good old fashioned chassis and suspension tuning upgrades.

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on August 02, 2012, 01:10:17 PM
Um, you reversed the title of the thread - according to the article the Camaro 1LE bested the Boss 302 by 4.5 seconds at VIR...

Also of note the 1LE does NOT have the magnetic shock suspension; just good old fashioned chassis and suspension tuning upgrades.

It seems you missed the giant NOOOOOOOOOOOT at the top of my post.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Camaro troll jumped the gun. LOOOOOOOOOOL

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on August 02, 2012, 01:11:13 PM
It seems you missed the giant NOOOOOOOOOOOT at the top of my post.

I saw it - the post title is wrong though.  :huh:

68_427

Quote from: GoCougs on August 02, 2012, 01:25:33 PM
I saw it - the post title is wrong though.  :huh:

Wtf man.  The title is the way it is to get the Mustang fanbois excited.  When they open the thread, the large NOT sits them back down.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: 68_427 on August 02, 2012, 01:30:30 PM
Wtf man.  The title is the way it is to get the Mustang fanbois excited.  When they open the thread, the large NOT sits them back down.

I guess that's my point - Mustangists still haven't recovered - the last thing they need is "excitement" regarding things Camaro.

Raza

Man, that is one ugly car.  Good thing it's faster; you have to see it for less time.  Why is it so pointy at the front?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh nice, they got "monotube rear shocks" in the 1LE package. Pretty high tech stuff.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 02, 2012, 01:55:04 PM
Oh nice, they got "monotube rear shocks" in the 1LE package. Pretty high tech stuff.

They still put friction dampers on the Rustang.

SVT666

Impressive.  Now, let's see them do something about the styling, sightlines, weight, and interior styling.

Northlands

Last time I checked, Phelps is still pretty Kingly.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2012, 02:21:06 PM
Impressive.  Now, let's see them do something about the styling, sightlines, weight, and interior styling.
:rolleyes:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on August 02, 2012, 01:38:25 PM
Man, that is one ugly car.  Good thing it's faster; you have to see it for less time.  Why is it so pointy at the front?

That picture is distorted by using a camera lense that is far too wide.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on August 02, 2012, 06:06:14 PM
I've driven an SS in the real world and it sucks.  Between the horrendous sightlines and the terribly shitty interior, it really does suck as a real world car.  As a track car, it might be different, but I can't speak to that since I've only driven it where it matters.  The styling has never appealed to me though.

Payman

My brother has a Camaro SS, and I drove it quite a bit last summer. Wasn't impressed, but part of that had to do with it sharing the driveway with a Viper.

GoCougs

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on August 02, 2012, 06:06:14 PM

Can you blame him really - he still crawling back from the upended prediction regarding the ZL1...

hotrodalex

Looks like GM finally let the engineers have their say on the car, instead of just the beancounters. :rockon:

68_427

Lens distortion
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Dude, that was the camera lens.

hotrodalex

I think the picture is distorted. Probably the camera lens.

SVT666

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

LonghornTX

Pretty good package. Very well thought out it seems.

But I question the 4.5 second difference the Camaro team is throwing around. As has been discussed elsewhere, that comparison is from a Chevrolet test driver in a Chevrolet prepared car against a time put down during a lightning lap by a journalist on a different day. I think at the end of the day, this car loses in track comparisons to the LS by a slim margin.

Its a shame that the car feels so huge and has such poor sightlines, as well as a rather mediocre interior, otherwise I would really be interested in this model.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on August 02, 2012, 02:21:06 PM

All very very minor issues, the important thing is the maro is faster. How it feels and looks while doing that isn't important.

FoMoJo

And the beat goes on :ohyeah:.  Mustang sets the mark and Camaro tries to better it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on August 05, 2012, 06:49:42 PM
Less pointy version for Raza

The more I see Camaros, the less I like it.  They're cartoonish.  And the visibility is horrific. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i