2013 Honda Accord Sedan Revealed & Updaded with Video

Started by Atomic, August 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM

Cookie Monster

I like it, but is it actually supposed to be a "new" generation? If so, that's pretty pathetic.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Atomic

Honda will continue to sell their two main sedans, plus the CR-V and Odyssey to repeat buyers and reliability Nazis, and that's fine. But there's nothing left from this company for the rest of us. "The Power of Dreams" has become "The Power to Snooze."

I hear you, Dan, but the company has its Acura division that is changing to offer something different. It's hard with last year's hardships following a Tsunami and earthquake to see what brought about an enormous rebound once lost production was recovered. Acura, with the addition of a new small car (something different) for 2013 (already out and selling very well) and the redesign of the '13 RDX led to whopping sales gain one month ago and counting.

The 2013 Accord, offering more in a smaller package and new technology and interior yet to be seen should prove more than the sum of its part. The MY13 Ford Fusion, with no V6 is a visual stunner and based on the initial reaction of many will be priced significantly higher. Still, this car has yet to be tested. Yet people say they want one. I have not been following the next Fusion closely but will it be anything more than a pretty face at a higher price? I dunno.

My point? All of our reactions (good, bad, indifferent) to what the public will buy is premature...

TurboDan

Quote from: Atomic on August 08, 2012, 06:45:32 PM
Honda will continue to sell their two main sedans, plus the CR-V and Odyssey to repeat buyers and reliability Nazis, and that's fine. But there's nothing left from this company for the rest of us. "The Power of Dreams" has become "The Power to Snooze."

I hear you, Dan, but the company has its Acura division that is changing to offer something different. It's hard with last year's hardships following a Tsunami and earthquake to see what brought about an enormous rebound once lost production was recovered. Acura, with the addition of a new small car (something different) for 2013 (already out and selling very well) and the redesign of the '13 RDX led to whopping sales gain one month ago and counting.

The 2013 Accord, offering more in a smaller package and new technology and interior yet to be seen should prove more than the sum of its part. The MY13 Ford Fusion, with no V6 is a visual stunner and based on the initial reaction of many will be priced significantly higher. Still, this car has yet to be tested. Yet people say they want one. I have not been following the next Fusion closely but will it be anything more than a pretty face at a higher price? I dunno.

My point? All of our reactions (good, bad, indifferent) to what the public will buy is premature...

I don't think they can use the tsunami as an excuse. They've been languishing for years at this point, and they had nothing in the pipeline even before the tsunami hit.

I don't see how Acura is doing anything to set the world on fire. They have a rebadged Civic to crow about and one of what seems like 3 billion crossovers that are on the market right now. Neither is anything to be excited about, even if they're both nice vehicles, which I'm sure they are, actually. But it's boring stuff from a manufacturer that doesn't have to be boring. Honda has done some great things. I don't know why they've seemingly given up on doing anything evolutionary.

Honestly, the ILX just makes me smack my head. They could've gone and created a new Integra – a cool, new, entry-premium sporty car that could possibly take on the BRZ. But they rebadge a Civic instead. They made the awesome S2K, then just... stopped. This is a company that's lacking vision and, probably, leadership.

BENZ BOY15

Looks good to me...but where are the interior shots?

I like my Accord and the only thing I don't really like is the road noise. I noticed that's a problem in my Dad's Pilot.

Atomic

I cited the Tsunami and quakes last year as one possible reason for an absolutely stunning shot in sales last month. I hear what you are saying on all fronts, Dan but am merely pointing out that a great car (in my view) is often considerably more than a pretty face. Sure, a Ford Fusion-like redo would have been cool, but it's not the Honda way. The Accord is the benchmark for many automaker. Still.

Atomic

At least two new trim levels, as I posted some time ago (a new Sports Sedan Model, possibly to be called SE):

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/2013-honda-accord-trim-sheet-leaked-sport-model-targets-camry-se.html  :popcorn:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Atomic on August 09, 2012, 04:15:26 AM
I cited the Tsunami and quakes last year as one possible reason for an absolutely stunning shot in sales last month. I hear what you are saying on all fronts, Dan but am merely pointing out that a great car (in my view) is often considerably more than a pretty face. Sure, a Ford Fusion-like redo would have been cool, but it's not the Honda way. The Accord is the benchmark for many automaker. Still.

The 2006 Civic was a radical departure, styling-wise, from the model that preceded it, and I'm still not convinced it was entirely in a good way. I wonder what inspired them to have such a bold moment.

Atomic

A few stats that appeared in the print edition of the August 6, 2012, Automotive News trade publication that arrived in today's mail.

I try to backup thoughts whenever possible.

This report does not necessarily correspond with release of official photos of the yet to be released 2013 Honda Accord revealed yesterday. However, it will be interesting to see if this "next" generation Accord is a sales success for the Honda division and its corporation, especially here in North America (as I predict).

...or will I have egg on my face?

:lol:

Now, from Automotive News...

N.A. surges, profits up at Honda

Report by: Hans Greimel

HONDA SURGES

April-June/% Change

Revenue $30.63 billion/42%
Operating profit $2.21 billion/314%
Net profit $1.66 billion/680%

Results translated at an exchange rate of $1 = v9.53, the rate on June 30, 2012

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 09, 2012, 11:16:43 AM
The 2006 Civic was a radical departure, styling-wise, from the model that preceded it, and I'm still not convinced it was entirely in a good way. I wonder what inspired them to have such a bold moment.

I still think the 2006 model still looks fresh.

93JC

I think it looks like a miniature 1995 Dodge Stratus.

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on August 09, 2012, 02:24:17 PM
I still think the 2006 model still looks fresh.

I agree, 2o6.

I often drive the family's 2006 generation Civic. It is a 2010 EX sedan in Polished Metal Metallic Gray. The Civic EX that I have pretty much taken over after my dad's death is my mother's car. The '10 Civic EX looks especially nice with these highly stylish wheels added that year or the year before to the EX coupe and sedan and I think the Si models. At the same time, Honda upgraded all of its Civic sedans, including the LX, EX, Si with the addition of the classy chrome strip on the trunk lid that was not included in 2011 with the redesign of the newly introduced 2012.

I wonder if Honda will dress up the blander '12 era Civic as part of its 18 month fix to address its run of the mill looks inside and out. I hear the changes will be seen as next month or as late as January 2013.

Northlands

Quote from: Atomic on August 09, 2012, 04:15:55 PM
I agree, 2o6.

I often drive the family's 2006 generation Civic. It is a 2010 EX sedan in Polished Metal Metallic Gray. The Civic EX that I have pretty much taken over after my dad's death is my mother's car. The '10 Civic EX looks especially nice with these highly stylish wheels added that year or the year before to the EX coupe and sedan and I think the Si models. At the same time, Honda upgraded all of its Civic sedans, including the LX, EX, Si with the addition of the classy chrome strip on the trunk lid that was not included in 2011 with the redesign of the newly introduced 2012.

I wonder if Honda will dress up the blander '12 era Civic as part of its 18 month fix to address its run of the mill looks inside and out. I hear the changes will be seen as next month or as late as January 2013.

You don't have to look too far in regards to the changes to the Civic. Just need a little bit of an imagination, but the Acura ILX is already out and I'm sure it will be pretty similar. Just remove some of the hard edges in the fascia.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Atomic

Quote from: Northlands on August 09, 2012, 04:29:13 PM
You don't have to look too far in regards to the changes to the Civic. Just need a little bit of an imagination, but the Acura ILX is already out and I'm sure it will be pretty similar. Just remove some of the hard edges in the fascia.

So true, Northlands. The ILX is a neat little car. It would have made the perfect Civic, IMO. I took one out when my cousin picked up his new 2013 Acura RDX. Both are selling extremely well.

The new Honda CR-V is amazing, but I admit that despite tremendous retail sales, the '12 Civic needs to undergo some modification to even bring it up to 2009-2011 standards when I think the car was nearly perfect. The new Civic look good, especially in EX trim but not up to its potential, IMO. One rumor is a more powerful engine, as well as significant improvements in the refinements of the interior, plus a more sophisticated exterior.

Damn. Its sales potential considering how awesome it is selling now should knock it right out of the park. Changes are coming and there is talk the next generation Civic will be done right from the start with "sporty" and "sexy" terms being bantered about at Honda's U.S. design studio.

Atomic

Quote from: 93JC on August 09, 2012, 03:20:41 PM
I think it looks like a miniature 1995 Dodge Stratus.

The Dodge Stratus was a smart looking compact/midsize car with Chrysler's successful cab forward design. Too bad the quality at that time was not one of Dodge's strong points, but the Dodge, Chyrsler and Plymouth sedans of the era were stunning.

Thinking back, the last Plymouth sedan I recall was the Breeze and I think it shared much with the Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus. You mention the 1995 Stratus. I believe that version of the Stratus model came years after Plymouth was dismantled. Do any of you recall?

TurboDan

Quote from: Atomic on August 09, 2012, 06:58:52 PM
You mention the 1995 Stratus. I believe that version of the Stratus model came years after Plymouth was dismantled. Do any of you recall?

Plymouth didn't go away until 2001.

I was never a big fan of the Stratus sedan, but the coupe R/T was pretty cool in the final generation. The 4cyl models, from what I recall, were decently reliable but the V6 powertrains had their share of issues.

LonghornTX

Wow, how uninspiring. I think they are taking a big risk by going so conservative. The D-segment is ultra-competitive these days, and with a beautiful new Fusion about to launch, and a new D-segment from Chrysler on the way, I feel this car will not be the sales success that its predecessors have been. Not to mention they are getting behind in just about every category (infotainment/PT/engineering refinement). Their PT plan in particular is a bit of a joke these days, for a company that once was the leader in that respect.

Yea, their cars sell now, but they wont for long if they continue to pump out new models like this, while the rest of the industry (especially Ford/Chrysler/Koreans) ups their game.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Vinsanity

There seems to be some kind of duality developing within this segment: the beauty queens (Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, Kia Optima), and the plain-Janes (Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu). Seems like the Sonata started this trend. Makes sense that it's taking place; there will always be buyers who need something practical, but want something stylish (in addition to buyers who just want something practical, period).

Atomic

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 10, 2012, 12:10:49 AM
There seems to be some kind of duality developing within this segment: the beauty queens (Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, Kia Optima), and the plain-Janes (Accord, Camry, Altima, Malibu). Seems like the Sonata started this trend. Makes sense that it's taking place; there will always be buyers who need something practical, but want something stylish (in addition to buyers who just want something practical, period).

I think you said it best of all. And sometimes "plain Jane" types can look mighty distinguished and as I see some, the epitome of understated luxury. Regarding the Accord, its driving dynamics, degree of comfort, benefits of more interior room and amenities and far less bulk may make up for what some see as the same car as the 2012 model. Certainly no right or wrong.

Well put, Vinsanity!

Vinsanity

Thanks, though IMO, the Hyundai Genesis sedan is definitely the epitome of understated luxury. You can get pretty good discounts on one, now that the new Azeras are on the lots. I bet you can get a base Genesis for the same price as a loaded Accord.

Atomic

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 10, 2012, 10:50:21 AM
Thanks, though IMO, the Hyundai Genesis sedan is definitely the epitome of understated luxury. You can get pretty good discounts on one, now that the new Azeras are on the lots. I bet you can get a base Genesis for the same price as a loaded Accord.

The deals are fantastic. Until recently, an area Hyundai dealership had at least three new 2011 Genesis sedans still on its lot. Last time I check (about 4-6 weeks ago) there was just one MY11 Genesis sedan left. The car was a light blue, ever more understated in a color that to me does not suit the car. It looked cheap... and I imagine has sold at a really decent price or is still there awaiting a lucky customer.

Atomic

Quote from: Atomic on August 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM
http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1078331_2013-honda-accord-first-images-of-all-new-midsize-sedan-with-plug-in-hybrid-model_gallery-1#100398320

UPDATED: August 19, 2012

I like the oversized buttons and such, large screen and what looks to be a clear, straightforward and simplified dashboard. In the era of seeing its competition and even sportier cars eliminating manual transmissions, I think many will appreciate the availability of a six speed manual.

http://wot.motortrend.com/caught-2013-honda-accord-interior-has-manual-transmission-pandora-radio-221649.html

TBR

That's a heavier interior redo than I was expecting.

Glad to see Honda is finally getting with the times and offering 6 gear transmissions in mainstreamers.

Atomic

Quote from: TBR on August 19, 2012, 12:59:50 PM
That's a heavier interior redo than I was expecting.

Glad to see Honda is finally getting with the times and offering 6 gear transmissions in mainstreamers.

Same here. I had seen the photos before, but could not recall ever having posted to them.

What I like, too, is the fact that Honda seems to listen -- changing a lot of what I know to be ongoing feedback from its current owners. We still get phone calls and surveys in the mail from Honda of America asking what we like and what we do not like about each Honda owned. The smallish buttons and relatively large number of them is something they have addressed for MY13.

VTEC_Inside

I've been reading that they've gone to struts up front!!!!

That's like Porsche making a FR 911...

20+ yrs extolling the virtues of the double wishbone suspension, and now its gone...
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

2o6

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 19, 2012, 07:30:16 PM

20+ yrs extolling the virtues of the double wishbone suspension, and now its gone...

That seems like too big of a change for what really is a pretty minimal new model.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2012, 08:57:11 PM
That seems like too big of a change for what really is a pretty minimal new model.

I think the problem is that on the outside it looks like a minor refresh.

Underneath the changes are more substantial than the outside lets on.

SVT666

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 19, 2012, 07:30:16 PM

Civic went strut a long time ago.  It was only a matter of time before the Accord followed suit.

Atomic

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 19, 2012, 09:35:38 PM
I think the problem is that on the outside it looks like a minor refresh.

Underneath the changes are more substantial than the outside lets on.

I think seeing it in person and having time to get used to it will be key, as with any new or changed vehicle. Driving it, even better. Streamlining a car, reducing excess heft and shortening it per consumer feedback adds up to a more elegant vehicle, IMO. Improving upon useful interior volume and trunk space is paramount to any automobile typically purchased by men and women with children.

These things (above) to an already top selling car in a highly competitive segment (with fewer than two percent Accord's sold into fleets), a choice of 4/6 cylinders and CVT/6 speed automatic transmissions/6 speed manual transmissions, a coupe, a sedan and "crossover variant" (no longer call Accord, rather "Crosstour" will increase its sales and keep it a top contender.

The changes to its interior, including those to the cockpit will be welcomed as an Accord and Civic driver (parent's two cars I continue to drive) with what looks to be a less complicated array of buttons, dials and such. The new technology, is something I think most will appreciate.

We know very little about the "Sports Edition" (SE) speculated, with rumors that it will be more than cosmetic.

But as stated, with only pictures and press to go by, I look forward to a test drive -- especially with my mother's 2010 Civic EX sedan up for trade. Cannot wait!

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SVT666 on August 20, 2012, 12:19:26 AM
Civic went strut a long time ago.  It was only a matter of time before the Accord followed suit.

And the Civic/RSX suffered for it. The previous versions of those cars outhandled their strut replacements easily.

Granted this is at the limit, but the differences can be felt well below the limit as well.

To me its just another cop of from Honda in search of the almighty $.

Im sure they'll sell loads but talk about a jab into the heart of the diminshing population of Honda enthusiasts.

Atomic

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 20, 2012, 07:22:21 AM
And the Civic/RSX suffered for it. The previous versions of those cars outhandled their strut replacements easily.

Granted this is at the limit, but the differences can be felt well below the limit as well.

To me its just another cop of from Honda in search of the almighty $.

Im sure they'll sell loads but talk about a jab into the heart of the diminshing population of Honda enthusiasts.

From one Honda-Acura enthusiast to another, hope lies with North America giving buyers (especially DRIVERS) what they (Including "we") want by developing cars right here in the U.S., giving Honda of America far more autonomy. This starts with the next generation Civic, with the promise of coupe, sedan, hatchback (two door, four door + hatch or both TBD) and possible crossover.