2013 Honda Accord Sedan Revealed & Updaded with Video

Started by Atomic, August 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM

Atomic

http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1078331_2013-honda-accord-first-images-of-all-new-midsize-sedan-with-plug-in-hybrid-model_gallery-1#100398320

NOTE: Two Videos Added August 20, 2012 (Scroll to Post)

NOTE: Two Additional Videos Added August 24, 2012 (Scoll to Post)

Atomic

More cohesive, tidy and upscale, especially from the rear. I am very interested in seeing the interior. Honda responded to its customer base and although I was hoping for a more radical approach, it will certainly be as well received as the new Toyota Camry in regards to sales.

Atomic

FROM THE PRESS...

All-New 2013 Honda Accord Will Debut with Premium and Sophisticated Exterior Styling

Most sculpted Accord ever is bigger on the inside and smaller on the outside

Text Only 2013_Honda_Accord_Styling_Rls_8.8.12.docx Add to Basket Printer Friendly

08/08/2012 - TORRANCE, Calif.,

Honda today revealed the first images of the much anticipated all-new 2013 Honda Accord Sedan and Accord Coupe, set to go on sale this fall. The most sculpted Accord ever delivers an even more spacious and luxurious passenger cabin wrapped in an upscale, sophisticated exterior designed to stand the test of time.

The 2013 Accord's styling is expressive, sophisticated and premium. Starting in the front, a bold new grille imparts a distinctive and dynamic tension that complements the powerful look of the hood's multiple styling lines. A strong side character line flows through the door handles and flares upward toward the rear of the vehicle to further convey a sense of motion. A deep contour in the rocker panel firmly grounds its visual presence to the road and smartly turns upward to convey a sporty attitude. In the back, the inward slope where the fenders taper into the trunk and C-pillars is designed to convey a powerful, athletic stance from the rear.

True to the spirit of Honda and every Accord before it, the ninth-generation embraces a customer focus from the inside out. Smart interior packaging allows for increased passenger and cargo space in both the sedan and the coupe, while the overall exterior lengths are noticeably shortened, contributing to a sportier driving character and easier parking. An expansive greenhouse and generous rear seating area provide excellent levels of visibility and comfort for the driver and all passengers.

"This car is the most sculpted and the most dynamic Accord yet," said Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of product planning for American Honda. "Following Honda's long-held philosophy of 'man maximum, machine minimum,' the beautiful exterior evolved from a focus on interior space and the needs of the people inside it."

On the road, an overall aerodynamic shape combined with low-drag exterior surfaces including nearly flush windshield glass, flush-mounted windshield wipers and careful under-body tailoring promise enhanced fuel efficiency. Premium details like available LED daytime running lights, headlights and taillights hint at the sophisticated technology and luxury available inside.

More information about the all-new 2013 Accord will be revealed later this fall. For photos about the styling direction of the 2013 Accord, visit www.hondanews.com.

VTEC_Inside

They both look to have gone on a diet. This is good.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

hotrodalex

Very nice, except for the rear end of the coupe.

Atomic

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 08, 2012, 08:47:46 AM
Very nice, except for the rear end of the coupe.

I agree. I really like the more sedan and the stately look of it. I do not like the blue of the coupe. I need to see the two door in other colors and preferable in person.

The MY13 Crosstour (not featured) looked fantastic at the NY auto show. It has the appearance of being lighter and learner, something I think was mere achieved cosmetically but it worked nicely.

SVT666

I like that it's smaller, which is totally unheard of these days, but otherwise it's more boring to look at than the last one.

Vinsanity

They finally fixed the rear of the sedan, while the rest of the car looks pretty much the same. This is the exact same thing they did to the Accord in ~06.

93JC

Looks like a refresh to me.

The sheetmetal is a little different but otherwise the doors are the same, the windows are the same...

Looks about as "all-new" as the 2012 Civic. :/

SVT666

Honda needs to regain some passion before it's too late.  They look like they've given up.

Atomic

SVT666, I see your point, but the Honda Civic went from crisp, sporty, elegant and more substantial to a blander design for 2012. I see the opposite with the 2013 Accord. As minor as some of the changes appear, collectively they add up to a far more substantially upgraded and fit vehicle. The prominent line across the upper portion of the car is subtle but highly effective in added substance while losing the bulk that by comparison made the outgoing model look portly. Fortunately, it has slimmed down (and not just an illusion) and the promise of more interior space is a huge plus.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2012, 09:53:07 AM
Honda needs to regain some passion before it's too late.  They look like they've given up.
I feel the same, but I know its not true. Too late for what? The 9th gen Civic, which "everybody" hated, went on to sell more copies than the 8th gen. I am pretty sure there was a big uproar about the 8th gen when it came out, due to its spaceage looks, until people got to actually see how well the car worked. There was damn . If you are not road racing the car, or lowering it 3 inches from stock height, it works just as well as any other Honda.

Honda has lost its passion, but 99.9% of its customer base never had the passion to begin with... and they love the cars they are making now. Plus again as much as we bitch and complain we are not the folks who Honda is building cars for. Only person here who bought new recently I can think of is Laconian.. and he bought a TSX :lol:

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM
I feel the same, but I know its not true. Too late for what? The 9th gen Civic, which "everybody" hated, went on to sell more copies than the 8th gen. I am pretty sure there was a big uproar about the 8th gen when it came out, due to its spaceage looks, until people got to actually see how well the car worked. There was damn . If you are not road racing the car, or lowering it 3 inches from stock height, it works just as well as any other Honda.

Honda has lost its passion, but 99.9% of its customer base never had the passion to begin with... and they love the cars they are making now. Plus again as much as we bitch and complain we are not the folks who Honda is building cars for. Only person here who bought new recently I can think of is Laconian.. and he bought a TSX :lol:

GM was doing something similar before they lost all credibility.

This car looks as if they have done little to make it current.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on August 08, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
Looks like a refresh to me.

The sheetmetal is a little different but otherwise the doors are the same, the windows are the same...

Looks about as "all-new" as the 2012 Civic. :/

Does the headlight thing bug anyone else?  How they jut out beyond the natural line of the bodywork?  Headlights didn't used to do that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27880.msg1760579#msg1760579 date=1344448441
Does the headlight thing bug anyone else?  How they jut out beyond the natural line of the bodywork?  Headlights didn't used to do that.
No.  My G37 does that too.  I don't mind it at all.

CJ

I think it looks merely acceptable.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2012, 12:05:17 PM
No.  My G37 does that too.  I don't mind it at all.

Yikes, inconsistent panel gaps there - does Canada have CarFax or its equivalent? Kinda looks like there's been some front end work.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2012, 01:00:28 PM
Yikes, inconsistent panel gaps there - does Canada have CarFax or its equivalent? Kinda looks like there's been some front end work.
WTF are you talking about?

GoCougs

LOL on this "all new" Accord. I was waiting a bit to see the new Accord (and esp. if there'd be a performance version) before buying a new car. Jesus, good thing I didn't wait. I read that the Civic, Accord and Camry were all under development right when the '08 crash happened. Honda and Toyota got scared s-less and merely only spent enough money for a refresh rather than go for an all new model. No matter; we can only judge on action and results, and this is a fail.

Colin

I am sure this will appeal to the buyers to whom the Accord appeals.......... but that is probably none of us on here, so it's no surprise that most of us (me included) are rather underwhelmed by what looks like a cautious evolution.

I don't buy all the hyperbolic PR guff that Honda spat out about its new styling etc.... and Atomic, it's about time you stopped swallowing it all hook line and sinker as well! It is simply a relatively inoffensive redesign of of an inoffensive outgoing car. There is little more to say.  

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on August 08, 2012, 01:03:28 PM
WTF are you talking about?

CarFax is service in the US that enables people to check title history; large repairs can show up on history (but not always).

TurboDan

Wow, Honda's really taking some chances and doing everything they can to generate some excitement in the face of heightened competition from the Americans, Germans and South Koreans. Oh, wait....

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2012, 01:14:12 PM
CarFax is service in the US that enables people to check title history; large repairs can show up on history (but not always).
Not that.  What uneven panel gaps?  Go look at your car from the angle I took that photo and the curves on the hood and fender hide the gap in one part and show it more in the other.  It's just the angle it was taken from. 

As for CarFax, I know what it is.  I use it (and I also did a title search to find out who the previous owner was), and I bought my car from an Infiniti dealer who (by Canadian Law) must disclose any and all repairs, accidents, and insurance claims. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2012, 10:52:26 AM

GM was doing something similar before they lost all credibility.

This car looks as if they have done little to make it current.
GM's cars also rusted, caught fire and barely ran upon leaving the showroom floor....

The two companies are in no way comparable.

Honda has figured out it pays more to cater to people who buy their cars than to cater to people who just talk about them. I can't knock the hustle.

Atomic

Quote from: Colin on August 08, 2012, 01:13:26 PM
I am sure this will appeal to the buyers to whom the Accord appeals.......... but that is probably none of us on here, so it's no surprise that most of us (me included) are rather underwhelmed by what looks like a cautious evolution.

I don't buy all the hyperbolic PR guff that Honda spat out about its new styling etc.... and Atomic, it's about you stopped swallowing it all hook line and sinker as well! It is simply a relatively inoffensive redesign of of an inoffensive outgoing car. There is little more to say.  

I am pleased with the new design, very much so.

New engines, a more luxurious interior (yet to be seen), Hybrid model, forthcoming Plug in Electric Hybrid, Sedan and Coupe offerings, choice between 4 and 6 cylinder options, Cloud access, state of the art infotainment/communication system, a tidier package, roomier cabin cited, streamline frontend with sporty mess below grille airdam, more upscale chrome trim upfront, upscale rearend styling with additional chome brightwork, more aggressive side profile, promise of significant increase in MPG, advanced safety features (i.e., BLIS, standard rear camera), handsome wheels on Touring sedan model (shown), etc.

DISLIKES:

Too safe a design (?), TBD

Honda is in business to selling cars and I am confident this yet to be seen in person or test driven vehicle will remain a top seller for Honda. Nothing to swallow, past experience of outstanding quality, reliability and resale value and I plan on buying a new MY13 sedan when the family's Civic EX sedan is due for trade in spring of 2013.

Xer0

There is an interesting battle playing out in the mid size sedan battle right now.  The Japanese and VW are sticking to the I4 base/V6 option while the Americans and Koreans are I4 base/I4 Turbo option in their midsize cars.  The next few years should be fun.

Atomic

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 08, 2012, 02:11:33 PM
GM's cars also rusted, caught fire and barely ran upon leaving the showroom floor....

Honda has figured out it pays more to cater to people who buy their cars than to cater to people who just talk about them. I can't knock the hustle.

Case in point... My extended family...

:ohyeah:

Northlands

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 08, 2012, 02:11:33 PM

They took a lesson from Toyota, which works for them ( Toyota ), which works for Honda. I kind of miss the cutting edge version of the company of the past, but yeah, if people are still paying, don't change too much.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Hachee

While each Accord redesign may not have been revolutionary, they were all thorough enough to look different than the previous generation (that they stopped looking better than previous generations after the fourth or so is a different matter).  And while I often don't object to an evolutionary redesign, I think they've really cut it too close here.  While the changes make it somehow look a lot better than the last one, it's really quite a mash-up of other cars' looks (Hyundai, Lexus, BMW 5 Series).   There's also no profile shot shown, which IMO is the worst view of the current model, because (and admittedly a lot of cars seem to have this problem lately) the front, from the A-pillar forward, looks like it belongs to a different car.  On this new one, the bodywork looks new, but do the windshield and side windows look exactly the same?

Other cars, like the Altima, Sonata, Optima and Passat have made gains against the Accord, but I think this new model will still sell very well.  

TurboDan

Quote from: Hachee on August 08, 2012, 02:56:04 PM
While each Accord redesign may not have been revolutionary, they were all thorough enough to look different than the previous generation (that they stopped looking better than previous generations after the fourth or so is a different matter).  And while I often don't object to an evolutionary redesign, I think they've really cut it too close here.  While the changes make it somehow look a lot better than the last one, it's really quite a mash-up of other cars' looks (Hyundai, Lexus, BMW 5 Series).   There's also no profile shot shown, which IMO is the worst view of the current model, because (and admittedly a lot of cars seem to have this problem lately) the front, from the A-pillar forward, looks like it belongs to a different car.  On this new one, the bodywork looks new, but do the windshield and side windows look exactly the same?

Other cars, like the Altima, Sonata, Optima and Passat have made gains against the Accord, but I think this new model will still sell very well. 

It'll sell very well because people have been known to replace Accords with Accords. Like people have said, they're targeting this to the people most likely to buy a Honda Accord. Nothing wrong with that. I think for the price they charge there are much better options for the 2013 model year, but to each his own. The Accord is certainly not a bad choice, and the price offers a decent enough value.

Honda's probably doing the right thing, from a business perspective, by leaving the Accord well-enough alone and not doing anything too drastic. What I miss from this company are the non-Accords. Cars like the Prelude, S2K, Integra/RSX, etc. Those were great small, sporty cars. These days there isn't anything revolutionary (or even evolutionary) coming from this brand. The most exciting thing they make is a Civic Si, which is alright but, let's be honest, it's still just a Civic. Instead of making a new Integra/RSX, they make the ILX, which is just a Civic with a nicer interior and more gadgets.

Honda will continue to sell their two main sedans, plus the CR-V and Odyssey to repeat buyers and reliability Nazis, and that's fine. But there's nothing left from this company for the rest of us. "The Power of Dreams" has become "The Power to Snooze."