2013 Honda Accord Sedan Revealed & Updaded with Video

Started by Atomic, August 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM

CALL_911

Hasn't the ILX been getting good reviews?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Atomic

Sales? Excellent from what I have read and heard. Many Honda/Acura trades and conquest sales make up the desirable mix. Things are very encouraging, I think. The new Acura RDX is amazing (checked it out) and exceeding sales expectations.

Many Honda fans are young enthusiasts and by giving them a non-Hybrid CR-Z (forthcoming) and more affordable "pocket rockets" with lots of bang for the buck is what many Honda owners and other enthusiasts want to see now opposed to later.

CJ

The ILX simply isn't selling, and for good reason. Why spend that much on a smaller car when you can get a larger, more practical TSX for barely more? For that matter, why not step up to an A4 or 3-Series?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 20, 2012, 07:22:21 AM
And the Civic/RSX suffered for it. The previous versions of those cars outhandled their strut replacements easily.

Granted this is at the limit, but the differences can be felt well below the limit as well.

To me its just another cop of from Honda in search of the almighty $.

Im sure they'll sell loads but talk about a jab into the heart of the diminshing population of Honda enthusiasts.
Honda had teething pains; they botched the suspension geometry at the front AND rear for the 7th gen Civic platform.

The 8th gen Civic is up there w/any of the DWB Civics handling wise, and has the chassis rigidity to make the most of its grip and power. Even with its weight disadvantage IMO its better than the 5th/6th gens, on paper anyway.

Most importantly though, the Accord hasn't been a big handler since 1997, so I don't think anyone, even the folks getting V6-6 coupes, will miss the DWBs up front.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CJ on August 20, 2012, 10:40:16 AM
The ILX simply isn't selling, and for good reason. Why spend that much on a smaller car when you can get a larger, more practical TSX for barely more? For that matter, why not step up to an A4 or 3-Series?
I would bet the TSX' days are numbered. ILX is way more profitable.

CJ

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 20, 2012, 10:48:34 AM

But is it? They sell far more of those than probably anything else.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: CJ on August 20, 2012, 10:52:23 AM

But is it? They sell far more of those than probably anything else.
Its more profitable on a per car basis for sure, they pretty much cost the same but the ILX is built on a much cheaper platform.

I think the thinkign is, like with the ATS, the market for the TSX will transition to the ILX. I'm not saying that things will work out that way but I can understand Honda's thinking. They are all about cutting costs wherever possible.

Atomic

Hondas To Be As 'American' As Detroit Cars By 2015?

BY: Richard Read

FOR: TheCarConnection

ON: August 17, 2012

A few weeks ago, we wondered whether U.S. consumers found it more important to buy a car that's "made in America" or one that's made by an American company.

The post generated some interesting discussion, with several readers pointing out -- quite rightly -- that in this day and age, it's become increasingly hard to find a vehicle that's truly "made in America" (meaning, "made in the U.S."). And while many consumers are likely to stick with Chrysler, Ford, and General Motors in the future, we have a hunch that others who were once Detroit loyalists may become a little more...flexible.

Those people will be prime targets for Honda. According to Wards Auto, 89% of the vehicles Honda currently sells in the U.S. are made in North America (including Canada and Mexico). But by 2015, that figure will rise to 96%.

That number is on par with Detroit's Big Three, which build about 97% of their U.S. cars in North America. And it's far ahead of other automakers, which generally manufacture 60% of their U.S. models in our region.

Why the shift?

One of Honda's biggest motivations for moving its activities here is the strong yen, which makes manufacturing in Japan an expensive proposition. The automaker has been investing heavily in upgrades to plants in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, with plans to boost production dramatically in coming years and to shift some models away from Japan entirely.

The last vehicle to jump the Pacific should be the highly popular Fit, which is expected to begin production at Honda's new factory in Mexico by 2014. However, depending on the financial markets, it's possible that Honda could move other vehicles to North America entirely -- vehicles like the Honda Civic and the Honda CR-V, which are now built both here and in Japan. If that happens, it could shift the number of North American-built Hondas sold in the U.S. to almost 100%.

Detroit loyalists: would this change your opinion of Honda? Or will you still swear allegiance to the Big Three? Drop us a line, or leave a note in the comments below.

Atomic

I have learned of a few scenarios from a reliable Honda-Acura source regarding the TSX:

ALL CONCERNING THE NEXT GENERATION TSX

(1) The car will return to NA in sedan and touring body styles with more content and panache
(2) Yes. A four-door coupe is possible to fall between the ILX and TL (to be renamed TLX)
(3) The next TL "TLX" will be smaller and a new car priced above the MY14 TLX will emerge
(4) The line-up: ILX, TSX (coupe), TLX, new sedan, RLX + RDX, MDX, rumored BMW X1-like "SUV"
(5) NSX is a given, as insiders say an Integra type two-door coupe will return (highly likely)

Will keep you posted... If you hear before I do, please add to thread  ;) ! Thanks, Atomic

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: CJ on August 20, 2012, 10:40:16 AM

The ILX might have had a better sales response had Honda set the models up better.

As is there isnt much better word to use than fucked.

The R20 models are not available with a stick, but thats the only way you can get the tech package.

Ok, you want a stick, 2.4L or nothing, oh and you cant gey that with the tech package, sorry.  Whata that? You dont care about the fancy radio, you just want a nicer Si? Ok but you wont be needing the LSD will you.. FUUUUU.....

So lets use myself as an example.

Im gearing towards eventually trading the RSX for something that actually should be parked in the winter (think Vette). So I'd be fine with the 2.0L in a daily driver, but I want my f'in stick.

That leaves me with the 2.4L to get the stick, but then I cant get the fancy radio that Id really want in a DD. AND I wouldnt have the LSD that the Civic Si gets....

Really Honda wtf?

We even did the rough math on TOV and on the extreme end the LSD would add $200-$300 cost to the car. Particularly with the 2.4L, I shut off the traction control in the Si I drove a couple days ago and I dont think it would have been pretty without the LSD.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 20, 2012, 10:48:00 AM
Honda had teething pains; they botched the suspension geometry at the front AND rear for the 7th gen Civic platform.

The 8th gen Civic is up there w/any of the DWB Civics handling wise, and has the chassis rigidity to make the most of its grip and power. Even with its weight disadvantage IMO its better than the 5th/6th gens, on paper anyway.

Most importantly though, the Accord hasn't been a big handler since 1997, so I don't think anyone, even the folks getting V6-6 coupes, will miss the DWBs up front.

True the 2nd gen strut Civic improved quite a bit, but its still not as good as the DWB cars.

The raw numbers me be close if not better, but like you touched on, those numbers dont tell you what it feels like to drive. When you dig into that you'll almost always find that it was easier to exploit the limits of the DWB cars.

Re the Accord.
We had a '96 V6 and it was a dog in terms of feel. The '02 V6 we had was better but still felt heavy up front. In between there I had a chance to drive an '05? Accord hybrid and it was much improved (not to mention silly fast).

Last one I drove was a '10 V6 and I quite enjoyed it actually. It handled like a smaller lighter car, more remimiscent of the 4 bangers.

I really dont think there is any way around it, DWB are superior period. Its eaiser to get a compliant ride that is still a willing corner carver than it is with struts.

I know my RSX isnt a shining example of strut use, but consider that there is one corner I take regularly, and Ive taken it 20kph faster in my Accord than I feel comfortable to in the RSX. The Accord absorbs a bump mid corner where the RSX requires nerves and careful steering to do it.

Atomic

I would never disagree with fellow Volvo enthusiast and guru CJ, but my insiders say the Acura ILX and RDX are doing extremely well and contributed to record sales last month. I will check my bean counter resource and report back.

sportyaccordy

ILX moves about 1200-1400 units in a good month. TSX is moving 2500-3500 in its 4th year out. Honda should have brought out the ILX as the new TSX, and had the Accord based "coupe" ready to fill the gap. VTEC might be right, this is def a botched launch to some degree.

VTEC something to consider, in your Accord you are pretty much sitting on the floor, the tie rods are acting parallel to the line of steering action, the rear suspension isn't binding up at its joints as its loaded. I would bet you could take that turn 20km/h faster in an 8th gen CSi. Maybe it wouldn't feel as good, but the grip would be there if you wanted it. I would def rather do something like an old Sentra or even Corolla w/struts all around than a 3600lb DWB Accord. Its not really fair to compare old Accords either, they were pretty much stretched out Preludes.

2o6

This thread is taking a turn for the worse....

MX793

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 20, 2012, 02:07:51 PM
The ILX might have had a better sales response had Honda set the models up better.

As is there isnt much better word to use than fucked.

The R20 models are not available with a stick, but thats the only way you can get the tech package.

Ok, you want a stick, 2.4L or nothing, oh and you cant gey that with the tech package, sorry.  Whata that? You dont care about the fancy radio, you just want a nicer Si? Ok but you wont be needing the LSD will you.. FUUUUU.....

So lets use myself as an example.

Im gearing towards eventually trading the RSX for something that actually should be parked in the winter (think Vette). So I'd be fine with the 2.0L in a daily driver, but I want my f'in stick.

That leaves me with the 2.4L to get the stick, but then I cant get the fancy radio that Id really want in a DD. AND I wouldnt have the LSD that the Civic Si gets....

Really Honda wtf?

We even did the rough math on TOV and on the extreme end the LSD would add $200-$300 cost to the car. Particularly with the 2.4L, I shut off the traction control in the Si I drove a couple days ago and I dont think it would have been pretty without the LSD.

The ILX is a joke.  The tech package car is $31K+.  That gets you a 150 hp 2.0L and an automatic with 5 whole gears.  An A3 2.0T Quattro with 6 spd DSG starts at under $30K.  And the FWD model is solidly under $30K.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 20, 2012, 06:21:53 PM
VTEC something to consider, in your Accord you are pretty much sitting on the floor, the tie rods are acting parallel to the line of steering action, the rear suspension isn't binding up at its joints as its loaded. I would bet you could take that turn 20km/h faster in an 8th gen CSi. Maybe it wouldn't feel as good, but the grip would be there if you wanted it. I would def rather do something like an old Sentra or even Corolla w/struts all around than a 3600lb DWB Accord. Its not really fair to compare old Accords either, they were pretty much stretched out Preludes.

While not exactly the same setup, I do have the CSX which isnt far off the Si, and I can't see it matching the Accord through this particular corner even with the Si setup. If it did, you're right, it wouldnt feel the same. The CSX does handle that mid corner bump better than the RSX, but its also not as stiffly sprung.

My Accord comparisson was simply to show that there has been constant improvement. While I agree with you on the '95-'97 V6s handling like dogs, the current models are quite a bit better.

VTEC_Inside

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MX793 on August 20, 2012, 07:02:40 PM
The ILX is a joke.  The tech package car is $31K+.  That gets you a 150 hp 2.0L and an automatic with 5 whole gears.  An A3 2.0T Quattro with 6 spd DSG starts at under $30K.  And the FWD model is solidly under $30K.

I often forget about that aspect because I get so worked up about the models themselves.

For 31k it should be the 2.4L tech with auto or manual (with LSD).

Atomic

I nearly cut my throat when that gorgeous red version drove off the line and the footage ended  :facepalm:

You will be thrilled to know I will live  :praise:

CJ

And we still don't have official interior photos.

Atomic

Quote from: CJ on August 21, 2012, 10:31:27 AM
And we still don't have official interior photos.

Slow Chinese (Japanese?) water torture!

Atomic

You can see enough of the very carefully filmed cars to see (in my honest opinion) its tidier package. Someone could easily get shots (one would think) as they begin to fill those enormous parking lots before being loaded onto car carriers.

Atomic

Atomic

^I provided the tip nearly everywhere on the web when this mighty decent 2013 Accord was spotted along the rural highway some weeks ago. The balloons were obviously placed in the car to keep photographers (and prying customers) from taking pics of the all new interior. It is nearly impossible to see on film and photos but the '13 Accord sedan looks mighy svelte and highly more elegant and refined than the outgoing, chubby be comparison 2012 variety. 

Atomic

^The beige pearl coat 2013 sedan in the photos is the base LX version (the DX was dropped in favor of the far beter equipped LX edition as the "starting" model in its lineup some years ago). All other '13 Honda Accord sedans have larger wheels and standard fog lights -- not seen as this variant, signifying it is the nicely furnished entry level LX model for MY13. Most Accords also have the standard power operated "one touch" tilt-and-slide open and close sun/moonroof.

Atomic

2013 Honda Accord Language, Available Features (Initial Listing of some Key Offerings) from Information Obtained in an Early Letter to Dealers

The ninth-generation Accord is a stunning combination of style and sophistication. Not only do the Accord Sedan and Coupe sport dynamic new exterior and interior designs, but they also show off a host of new technologies.

The Accord delivers a spacious and luxurious passenger cabin wrapped in an upscale, sophisticated body style that will stand the test of time. Beyond the beautiful exterior, it was truly designed around the needs of the driver and all passengers. Designed with a focus on customer needs, smart interior packaging allows for increased passenger and cargo space in both the Sedan and the Coupe, while the overall exterior lengths are noticeably shortened, contributing to a sportier driving character and easier parking. An expansive greenhouse and generous rear seating area provide excellent levels of visibility and comfort for the driver and all passengers.

The 2013 Accord will debut ingenious new available features, such as Lane Departure Warning (LDW)[1], Forward Collision Warning (FCW)[2] and the Honda-exclusive LaneWatch? blind spot display[3]. The new Accord also introduces HondaLink?, a cloud-based system that connects you to Bluetooth?[4] Streaming Audio, Pandora? internet radio[5] SMS text message function[6] and all your favorite digital content without hassling with your mobile phone. The available Aha?[7] feature on HondaLink gives you access to personalized restaurant searches, Facebook audio feeds, audiobooks and more via the audio system interface and voice recognition.

The Accord has been one of the best-selling cars in America since its introduction 36 years ago. And it's poised to continue this tradition when it hits the streets this fall.

[1] Standard on EX-L and above. LDW only alerts drivers when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use. LDW may not detect all lane markings or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road condition. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[2] Standard on EX-L and above. FCW cannot detect all objects ahead and may not detect a given object; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and other factors. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. FCW does not include a braking function. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[3] Standard on EX Sedan and above and EX-L Coupe and above. Display accuracy will vary based on weather, size of object and speed, and the display may not show all relevant traffic. The display is not a substitute for your own direct visual assessment of traffic conditions before changing lanes.

[4] The Bluetooth? word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Honda Motor Co., Ltd., is under license.

[5] Pandora, the Pandora logo, and the Pandora trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of Pandora Media, Inc. Used with permission. Compatible with select Apple? iPhone? devices only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply.

[6] Compatible with select phones with Bluetooth? only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply. State or local laws may limit use of texting feature. Only use texting feature when conditions allow you to do so safely.

[7] Available on EX Coupe and above and EX-L Sedan and above. Aha, the Aha logo, and the Aha trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of HARMAN International Industries.

SOURCE: Honda of America 2012

CJ

The back of that car looks fucking terrible.  It's absolutely bloated as shit.  Awful.

Atomic