Your next car?

Started by 2o6, September 30, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

sportyaccordy

Theres a few different scenarios. No matter what though, I want to sell the bike and get something else.

We get out of here + both get jobs (most ideal). Thats actually kind of tough. 94-95 Accord EX 5spd wagon for DD duties, and an Aprilia RSV4 for the track + thrills. If I got serious about track riding I would prob get a cheap little Ninja 250 or GS500 to learn on. Wagon would get built nicely. H23 VTEC, legit suspension, nice SQ biased little system w/the in dash screen, HID projector retrofit. Maybe a turbocharger + Quaife LSD if $$$ allowed. A little chassis bracing + stiffening pillar foam. It would be a real keeper.

We get out of here + only one of us gets a job (most likely). Wifey can't drive stick and we would have to share 1 car. I would prob spring for an old Maxima, or maybe a 2003ish Accord V6 coupe. Bike wise I would probably get a Suzuki SV1000S and do 2-3 track days a year.

We don't get out of here anytime soon (worst case scenario). Probably 2 bikes. 1 for me alone, 1 for me + wifey to tour + shop on. Depending on how the $$$ goes, I'd either get a VTR1000F + Bandit 1200S on the cheap side, or an SV1000S + Sprint 1050 on the expensive side. Would def have to do a lot of riding etc to justify costs, but that's OK. We could plan around that.

2o6

...an Accord? Seriously?  :facepalm: :lol:

SVT666

Broaden your horizons man.

SVT32V

Especially an accord coupe, so many better coupes for similar price. Maybe a sedan if you wanted 4 drs.

Raza

Seriously, the only cars you've had have been Accords and Maximas. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

I think I can see where he's coming from. Once you've had a bike you don't really need a "fun" car, and he likes building, so that way he can build something relatively fun on a budget that's unique and practical while still getting his thrills on a bike.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Miata or S2000 or some SUV pickup type thing. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 11:24:18 AM
I think I can see where he's coming from. Once you've had a bike you don't really need a "fun" car, and he likes building, so that way he can build something relatively fun on a budget that's unique and practical while still getting his thrills on a bike.

The mentality being that since you have fun 5% of the time you drive, you're fine not having fun the other 95% of the time?

I don't buy it.  I have a sports car.  When I get another car to be a daily driver, I won't need it to be as fun as my sports car, but I would still want it to be fun.  Something like a Golf GTI or TDI would fit the bill.  I wouldn't go buy a fucking Toyota Matrix just because I have one fun car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 11:24:18 AM
Exactly. Believe me, I thought about a lot of other cars, and the 94-95 Accord makes the most sense for me.

Initially I thought about a coupe. Either an old Sentra w/an SR20VE or DET, or an E36 M3. If wifey gets something versatile maybe I will go that route. But with a subwoofer, my cargo capacity would be limited... a wagon would help salvage that. Especially once kids enter the picture. Plus all the other wagon options are kind of meh. Audi, BMW, VW... expensive and potentially finicky (shame we didn't get an E36 wagon). Plus they don't have the easy tickets to power the Accord does (aside from the 1.8t VWAGs). Don't need or want AWD so Subaru is out. Swedes actually do kind of appeal to me, and Saabs are dirt cheap now. I would try a V70 T5 5 speed but I bet they are rare as FUCK. There are some newer options but they just don't appeal to me, for the $$$. Mazda3/6? I could buy + build the Accord for a decent one. Focus SVT sounds killer but I can't stand the looks. 93-97 Corolla is a little too spartan + doesn't have any easy swaps and is hard as hell to find in stickshift. Etc. Accord wag 5spd is rare, but I know all its demons and can have it pretty much exactly how I want for what a newer more boring car would cost. Not really stressed about missing out on other cars, there's always family and more importantly always BIKES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotlYc8S3Rw#t=1m20s

That's MPH!!!! What car can do that AND turn for $4000??????????? I like cars but I like bikes much much more.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28188.msg1787158#msg1787158 date=1349115183
The mentality being that since you have fun 5% of the time you drive, you're fine not having fun the other 95% of the time?

I don't buy it.  I have a sports car.  When I get another car to be a daily driver, I won't need it to be as fun as my sports car, but I would still want it to be fun.  Something like a Golf GTI or TDI would fit the bill.  I wouldn't go buy a fucking Toyota Matrix just because I have one fun car.
Not sure what part of a car on double wishbones all around w/a shifter from God and an engaging motor with anywhere from 220-300 HP doesn't sound fun to you, but to each his own, which I thought was the point of the thread. Folks seem to forget, I've driven a decent range of cars, and while I liked a lot of them ultimately the cost benefit to actually own them isn't there for me. Don't want to sink or commit to a 5 digit car and w/my experience + skills + interests I don't have to. Plus shit like this is pretty fleeting for me, I might want something totally different if/when the time actually comes. But right now that is what sounds good to me.

Again I could still go completely left and go Swedish. Old 9-5 wags are def not looking bad right now.

SVT32V

With kids on the horizon an old accord would not be a wise choice nor a coupe for that matter.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2012, 12:31:00 PM
Not sure what part of a car on double wishbones all around w/a shifter from God and an engaging motor with anywhere from 220-300 HP doesn't sound fun to you, but to each his own, which I thought was the point of the thread. Folks seem to forget, I've driven a decent range of cars, and while I liked a lot of them ultimately the cost benefit to actually own them isn't there for me. Don't want to sink or commit to a 5 digit car and w/my experience + skills + interests I don't have to. Plus shit like this is pretty fleeting for me, I might want something totally different if/when the time actually comes. But right now that is what sounds good to me.

Again I could still go completely left and go Swedish. Old 9-5 wags are def not looking bad right now.

An old 9-5 Aero wagon, now that's something I can get behind.

I'd also look at 2.0T A3s.  2.0Ts are crazy easy to get more power from.  $600 chip bumps you up to 250hp and 290lb-ft.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Akin to what I have now (AWD performance sedan) but not sure what; probably Japanese. Still eager to see 3rd gen G sedan; needs (and will likely have) more power, better AT, and more refinement.

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2012, 09:58:16 AM
Theres a few different scenarios. No matter what though, I want to sell the bike and get something else.

We get out of here + both get jobs (most ideal). Thats actually kind of tough. 94-95 Accord EX 5spd wagon for DD duties, and an Aprilia RSV4 for the track + thrills. If I got serious about track riding I would prob get a cheap little Ninja 250 or GS500 to learn on. Wagon would get built nicely. H23 VTEC, legit suspension, nice SQ biased little system w/the in dash screen, HID projector retrofit. Maybe a turbocharger + Quaife LSD if $$$ allowed. A little chassis bracing + stiffening pillar foam. It would be a real keeper.

We get out of here + only one of us gets a job (most likely). Wifey can't drive stick and we would have to share 1 car. I would prob spring for an old Maxima, or maybe a 2003ish Accord V6 coupe. Bike wise I would probably get a Suzuki SV1000S and do 2-3 track days a year.

We don't get out of here anytime soon (worst case scenario). Probably 2 bikes. 1 for me alone, 1 for me + wifey to tour + shop on. Depending on how the $$$ goes, I'd either get a VTR1000F + Bandit 1200S on the cheap side, or an SV1000S + Sprint 1050 on the expensive side. Would def have to do a lot of riding etc to justify costs, but that's OK. We could plan around that.

Why the fuck is a successful guy like you looking at buying some old bag-of-bones 10-year-old car?  WTF man?

:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 01:01:26 PM
Why the fuck is a successful guy like you looking at buying some old bag-of-bones 10-year-old car?  WTF man?

That's another thing.  I mean, I can understand buying a modern mainstreamer if you have no interest in driving your daily driver hard, but why go for an old, cramped, less comfortable, and less safe version of it to put your kids into?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28188.msg1787158#msg1787158 date=1349115183

I don't buy it.  I have a sports car.  When I get another car to be a daily driver, I won't need it to be as fun as my sports car, but I would still want it to be fun.  Something like a Golf GTI or TDI would fit the bill.  I wouldn't go buy a fucking Toyota Matrix just because I have one fun car.

So, you give him shit for wanting a practical yet fun-to-drive lightweight wagon, yet you say you'd buy the exact same thing... :hammerhead: :wtf:

Honestly, you guys underestimate 90's Hondas. I had a shit ton of fun in my friend's old '92 Civic base sedan 5 speed. It was hilarious to chuck into corners since it weighed less than my Miata, the clutch/shifter was actually decent to use even though it was beat to shit and it was overall a blast. A car with more HP, coilovers or stiffer suspension and a better gearbox would be a blast, all while hauling all of your shit around too.

Plus, as long as he doesn't go crazy with the exterior mods, he would have a great sleeper.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 01:24:39 PM
So, you give him shit for wanting a practical yet fun-to-drive lightweight wagon, yet you say you'd buy the exact same thing... :hammerhead: :wtf:

Old Accord <> Fun and practical hatchback

You could make it fun, but you can't really make it practical.  Besides, you know how I feel about mods.  Just buy a car they built right in the first place (most of the time).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 01:24:39 PM

Honestly, you guys underestimate 90's Hondas. I had a shit ton of fun in my friend's old '92 Civic base sedan 5 speed. It was hilarious to chuck into corners since it weighed less than my Miata, the clutch/shifter was actually decent to use even though it was beat to shit and it was overall a blast. A car with more HP, coilovers or stiffer suspension and a better gearbox would be a blast, all while hauling all of your shit around too.

Plus, as long as he doesn't go crazy with the exterior mods, he would have a great sleeper.

I used to have a 1990 Honda Accord.  It was the first car I selected for myself and bought new, as opposed to buying used or getting as a hand-me-down.  It was pretty good to drive, but it strained going up hills if I had people in the car.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 01:35:08 PM

I used to have a 1990 Honda Accord.  It was the first car I selected for myself and bought new, as opposed to buying used or getting as a hand-me-down.  It was pretty good to drive, but it strained going up hills if I had people in the car.

It was a good car ... in 1990. But I wouldn't buy an early 90s accord today unless I was just scraping by and it was all I could afford.

My dad had a 3rd gen accord when I was a kid.  Bought it new and put about 200k miles on it before selling it (he had and still has a long commute, and racks up miles).

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28188.msg1787209#msg1787209 date=1349119963
Old Accord <> Fun and practical hatchback

You could make it fun, but you can't really make it practical.  Besides, you know how I feel about mods.  Just buy a car they built right in the first place (most of the time).

How would making the car fun (suspension and power modifications) make it less practical? :huh:

Also, no offense, but you don't even like working on cars so obviously it would seem like a bad idea to you. But the way I see it is, why buy something that thousands of others have built by engineers and bean counters to their specifications, instead of building something unique that's built just the way you like it?

When I have the space, time and money I will always have a project car.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 01:35:08 PM
I used to have a 1990 Honda Accord.  It was the first car I selected for myself and bought new, as opposed to buying used or getting as a hand-me-down.  It was pretty good to drive, but it strained going up hills if I had people in the car.

Those cars look so clean. Makes me sad to think of what the Accord has become now. :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 01:49:17 PM
How would making the car fun (suspension and power modifications) make it less practical? :huh:

Also, no offense, but you don't even like working on cars so obviously it would seem like a bad idea to you. But the way I see it is, why buy something that thousands of others have built by engineers and bean counters to their specifications, instead of building something unique that's built just the way you like it?

When I have the space, time and money I will always have a project car.

More often than not, the engineers know better than you.  They have the time and money to test things out, unlike the average consumer buying something on the internet and going by reviews.  No testing, high risk.  I'm not saying you can't modify a car into something that does things better than the factory version, I'm saying it's a crapshoot.  As I recall, even Sporty has said that he's put on way too harsh suspensions on his cars before and they became less enjoyable to drive. 

And as far as practicality, older cars were not packaged as well as newer cars; you can get a smaller overall size for the same amount of interior space.  The B5 Passat and A5 Jetta were prime examples of this--the Jetta was significantly smaller on the exterior but basically the same size on the inside.  Modifications are also a reliability risk, which makes a modified car inherently less practical than a stock one. 

I'm not saying you should never modify a car if that's what you want.  But it's generally a losing proposition once you start talking about transforming a car into something that does things it wasn't originally designed to do.  Plus, if you want something to haul your kids and their shit around in, more modern cars are much safer than old ones.  It doesn't make sense to buy an old car for that reason.  And, he makes money, why the hell would he want to buy a beat to death old mainstreamer when he can get a decent car?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=28188.msg1787228#msg1787228 date=1349122227
More often than not, the engineers know better than you.  They have the time and money to test things out, unlike the average consumer buying something on the internet and going by reviews.  No testing, high risk.  I'm not saying you can't modify a car into something that does things better than the factory version, I'm saying it's a crapshoot.  As I recall, even Sporty has said that he's put on way too harsh suspensions on his cars before and they became less enjoyable to drive. 

And as far as practicality, older cars were not packaged as well as newer cars; you can get a smaller overall size for the same amount of interior space.  The B5 Passat and A5 Jetta were prime examples of this--the Jetta was significantly smaller on the exterior but basically the same size on the inside.  Modifications are also a reliability risk, which makes a modified car inherently less practical than a stock one. 

I'm not saying you should never modify a car if that's what you want.  But it's generally a losing proposition once you start talking about transforming a car into something that does things it wasn't originally designed to do.  Plus, if you want something to haul your kids and their shit around in, more modern cars are much safer than old ones.  It doesn't make sense to buy an old car for that reason.  And, he makes money, why the hell would he want to buy a beat to death old mainstreamer when he can get a decent car?

I'll give you the safety aspect, but sporty didn't mention kids, plus he rides a motorcycle, so he probably doesn't care too much about safety at this point. :lol:

Plus, with a lot of research you can better the car with modifications. I researched for a couple of months before deciding on suspension and the only thing I regret about that purchase was not doing it earlier. Yeah, there's a ton of bad parts and mods out there but if you take your time and are smart about it, you can get some great parts and have an even more fun and enjoyable car. Sure, it might turn into a basket case but that's the risk you take.

Besides, there's a lot of enjoyability that comes with researching and wrenching on your own car that you don't get with something stock out of the factory. Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't knock him for wanting to do it.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on October 01, 2012, 02:17:14 PM
I'll give you the safety aspect, but sporty didn't mention kids, plus he rides a motorcycle, so he probably doesn't care too much about safety at this point. :lol:

Plus, with a lot of research you can better the car with modifications. I researched for a couple of months before deciding on suspension and the only thing I regret about that purchase was not doing it earlier. Yeah, there's a ton of bad parts and mods out there but if you take your time and are smart about it, you can get some great parts and have an even more fun and enjoyable car. Sure, it might turn into a basket case but that's the risk you take.

Besides, there's a lot of enjoyability that comes with researching and wrenching on your own car that you don't get with something stock out of the factory. Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn't knock him for wanting to do it.

He did mention kids:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2012, 12:23:39 PM
Especially once kids enter the picture.

I mean, have a project car or work on you car if you like; that's fine, it doesn't affect me either way.  And for some people, doing the work is part of the enjoyment.  And that's fine too.  But buying an old car like that to modify and then haul your kids around when you have the money to buy something newer, safer, and better from factory doesn't make sense. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

If you know what you're doing, you absolutely can build a better car than the factory. Car manufacturers don't wring out every last drop of performance from their cars, especially Accords. They compromise to make it ride nicely and try to reduce costs. And it's also a 15 year old car, so there might be some better technology to improve the handling of the car. (Not familiar with Accord mods, so can't say for sure)

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 01, 2012, 02:28:46 PM
If you know what you're doing, you absolutely can build a better car than the factory. Car manufacturers don't wring out every last drop of performance from their cars, especially Accords. They compromise to make it ride nicely and try to reduce costs. And it's also a 15 year old car, so there might be some better technology to improve the handling of the car. (Not familiar with Accord mods, so can't say for sure)

I'm not saying it can't be done.  Just that it's usually not.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on October 01, 2012, 12:59:22 PM
Akin to what I have now (AWD performance sedan) but not sure what; probably Japanese. Still eager to see 3rd gen G sedan; needs (and will likely have) more power, better AT, and more refinement.
It doesn't need more.  Every car could always use more, but it certainly doesn't need it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2012, 02:10:27 PM

This argument has never held any water. Maybe for a Lotus Elise or BMW M3, but def not an Accord. Like you said, engineers know better than me, I don't deny that. But their design intent was not mine. They designed the car for a wide range of uses and to offend the smallest cross section of folks possible, as well as to minimize costs. What does that mean. Engine side, super quiet and CHEAP intake + exhaust, w/tiny piping and ECU tuning to match (as well as run on potentially shitty fuel). Suspension side, comfort, suspension travel, understeer, and again low cost components (wack shocks). All these factors can be, and have been IME, changed w/o affecting the car's practicality. I got the suspension right the first (and second) time- I botched it the third time cause I tried to cheap out and didn't have the time or desire to rectify it. Also bought a bad example w/a chassis that was pretty much done.

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2012, 02:10:27 PMAnd as far as practicality, older cars were not packaged as well as newer cars; you can get a smaller overall size for the same amount of interior space.  The B5 Passat and A5 Jetta were prime examples of this--the Jetta was significantly smaller on the exterior but basically the same size on the inside.  Modifications are also a reliability risk, which makes a modified car inherently less practical than a stock one. 
Packaging matters in tight urban areas. And in any case Accord wagon still meets my size reqs. If they made a new Civic wagon I would jump on that. EP3 is actually an idea. Some mods affect reliability but not really. Intake, if the filter element sucks thats a threat. But my dad hydrolocked a stock I35. Exhaust, zero threat. Quality suspension components are built to higher spec than OEM. Quality stereo equipment is made by the same companies that make OEM. Cosmetics = zero reliability threat.

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2012, 02:10:27 PMI'm not saying you should never modify a car if that's what you want.  But it's generally a losing proposition once you start talking about transforming a car into something that does things it wasn't originally designed to do.  Plus, if you want something to haul your kids and their shit around in, more modern cars are much safer than old ones.  It doesn't make sense to buy an old car for that reason.  And, he makes money, why the hell would he want to buy a beat to death old mainstreamer when he can get a decent car?
Transforming a car would be turning the wagon into a clapped out road racer, or rolling hibachi grill. All I'd be doing would be replacing stock components with upgraded ones. OEM engine, better than OEM suspension, better than OEM intake + exhaust, better than OEM stereo with better than OEM wiring.

I think you need to drive a modified car to see what all the hoopla is about (if you haven't). No OEM is going to spec a family car with an intake that screams. Barring the 6-6 Coupe and the Civic Sis Honda has never really got the damping 100% correct for my tastes. I haven't heard an OEM stereo with bass to my tastes. And a newer, more expensive, more complicated, heavier car won't rectify that. Even as I drove the Ferrari I was thinking "man this is awesome but the sound could be a little more uncorked".
Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2012, 02:22:57 PM
He did mention kids:

I mean, have a project car or work on you car if you like; that's fine, it doesn't affect me either way.  And for some people, doing the work is part of the enjoyment.  And that's fine too.  But buying an old car like that to modify and then haul your kids around when you have the money to buy something newer, safer, and better from factory doesn't make sense. 
Newer yes. Safer yes. Better? By what metric(s)? If I enjoy the car and it does what I need it to do, how would a different car be any better?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: dazzleman on October 01, 2012, 01:01:26 PM

I know your HOA requires you to drive a newish luxury car but I am looking to avoid them completely :evildude:

Naw but seriously it doesn't phase me. I prefer old cars for a lot of reasons. And they are a lot more durable than they used to be. Swap the engine, keep rolling.

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 01, 2012, 02:51:41 PM
I know your HOA requires you to drive a newish luxury car but I am looking to avoid them completely :evildude:

Naw but seriously it doesn't phase me. I prefer old cars for a lot of reasons. And they are a lot more durable than they used to be. Swap the engine, keep rolling.

I'm about to get kicked out of the neighborhood because my car is a 2006 model year.... :lol: