991 GT3 first drive

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 12, 2013, 04:26:36 PM

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 11:00:16 AM
But those things aren't apparent.  That's the point.  The technology can be there, that's fine.  If the car were less engaging to drive because of those things, I'd agree with you.  But it's simply not.  The tech is in the background.  When you drive the car, it feels like an old school sports car, not an iPod. 

Everything but vanos, fuel, and spark are pretty transparent to me.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 11:09:31 AM
In something like a miata, I think most of us would be pretty similar with either.  Something like a C2S would be tough.  A GT3 is like drinking from a fire hydrant.

True, I've never actually driven something that fast very hard before.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on June 13, 2013, 11:11:59 AM
True, I've never actually driven something that fast very hard before.

My two cars on the ring were a Scirocco with DSG and a Swift Sport with a 5-speed.  Even though the Scirocco had much higher limits, I was definitely able to drive right up to the limit (and past :lol:) much easier.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on June 13, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
Then why care so much about the pdk? I think you and I are arguing different points about the same matter.

I don't care about the PDK.  All I said is that I wouldn't buy a GT3 with a PDK. :huh:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on June 13, 2013, 11:10:01 AM
Re-read the thread and try putting 2+2 together for once. You said it was regrettable, implied enthusiasts wouldn't buy these (so people who don't track are more of enthusiasts than people who do?), and replied to a post about the merits on a track with (I paraphrase) "that's an illusion ... Nobody tracks anyway".  They already have 8+ models for those people what more do you want, other than to whine?

You tell me that I need to re-read my own post because you can interpret it better than I can?  :rolleyes: You've found a special kind of douchebaggery, Adam.  I never once said that Porsche should sell this with a manual, or that Porsche didn't offer cars for people who want manuals, nor did I ever say that a dual clutch automatic isn't advantageous on a track.  How about you dial down your douchiness and just read what's written?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on June 13, 2013, 10:28:54 AM

You're contradicting yourself all over the place.

You keep calling it a crutch and saying people should learn to drive better, yet my understanding is the PDK will turn out better lap times even with the same (skilled) driver. So if a professional race driver can turn a better lap with the PDK, is he using it as a crutch too?  Shouldn't he just "learn to drive better" until he can turn equal times in both? 

Lap times are a product of a lot of things not just limited to drivers skill. You give a car 200 more HP it will turn faster lap times regardless of driver skill (except in the case of the Mustang GT/SVT lol). Point though is just like you said, a driver w/the same skill will turn faster lap times in a faster car. But if the end goal is to have faster lap times the most fundamental aspect is driving skill, which cars like this are using technology to replace rather than augment.

Quote from: Lebowski on June 13, 2013, 10:28:54 AMGuys, the Carrera, Carerra S, Carrera 4, Carrera 4s, and the vert versions of all of those, are available with a manual.  That's 8 different flavours of 991.  If maximizing performance isn't what you're after, it's not like there's a lack of choices.
I think everyone gets this. This discussion is just more an academic one about the purpose of drivers aid in the place of a street car for someone w/basically little to no driving skills. I just disagree w/the notion that a 450HP track focused Porsche should be "easy" to drive, but I'm not suggesting Porsche or anyone has to do what I say.

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 10:49:27 AM
Your car has ABS, stability control, traction control, VANOS, electronic fuel injection and spark timing.  Hell, even electric steering!  The most used input device has a big fat layer of software controlling what you're experience.  It's a HUGE combination of software already.  You're a driving hypocrisy! 
VANOS, EFI, spark timing have nothing to do w/driving skill. And the rest of those technologies are totally appropriate for a street car :huh: I would hope one wouldn't be using public roads as their training grounds for at the limit driving skills. I have had cars w/o power steering on the street. It fucking SUCKED!!! Besides, it might just be an electrical pump pressurizing a conventional rack. Lot of great drivers cars had this setup (S2000, MR2).

If anything, the fact that the GT3 is still a street car is prob the best argument for it having an auto box. But even still...

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 10:59:28 AM
I'd wager all of us would get around a track faster with a Carrera 2S with PDK than GT3 with a manual.
I wish we could test out this theory. I think it would depend a lot on the track, but overall I disagree. Both cars are in the realm of performance that we'd all prob be scared shitless approaching their limits, so it would pretty much be a toss up. In any case I would still want a manual box even at the track. If I'm not racing for money lap times don't matter.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Just checked out the video,

Beautiful car

amazing roads

my life sucks. :banghead:

FlatBlackCaddy

Addressing the manual transmission issue, I agree with chris at the end of the video. The philosophy and the facts are very different, this is the last car I expected to go the technical route based on it's PHILOSOPHY. The facts however are very different and this is ultimately what the market wants. For those of us who would rather embrace the philosophy(at the penalty of a few seconds on a race track) we just have to accept it or move on.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 11:21:42 AM

You tell me that I need to re-read my own post because you can interpret it better than I can?  :rolleyes: You've found a special kind of douchebaggery, Adam.  I never once said that Porsche should sell this with a manual, or that Porsche didn't offer cars for people who want manuals, nor did I ever say that a dual clutch automatic isn't advantageous on a track.  How about you dial down your douchiness and just read what's written?

No, you said what you said, and followed up with "well I don't care anyway". Ok.

Now you keep saying "all I said was I wouldn't buy one". No, that's not all you said.  Your # of posts and words in this thread would be about 1/10 and 1/100 what they are if that were the case.

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 13, 2013, 11:22:49 AM

Lap times are a product of a lot of things not just limited to drivers skill. You give a car 200 more HP it will turn faster lap times regardless of driver skill (except in the case of the Mustang GT/SVT lol). Point though is just like you said, a driver w/the same skill will turn faster lap times in a faster car. But if the end goal is to have faster lap times the most fundamental aspect is driving skill, which cars like this are using technology to replace rather than augment.

There's a concept called "all else equal".

Yes driver skill is an important factor, no one is denying that.  You can drive a PDK and still work on your driving skills, they are not mutually exclusive.

SVT666

Lap times are a product of a lot of things not just limited to drivers skill. You give a car 200 more HP it will turn faster lap times regardless of driver skill (except in the case of the Mustang GT/SVT lol).
What?  The GT500 is the fastest Mustang around a track. :nutty:

MrH

Raza can't accept this car.  It'd crush his pseudo automotive hipster persona.  He's too cool to deal with technology.  He's a disgruntled old man that wants computers eliminated from his vehicle...but only when it's convenient to him :lol:

You give a car 200 more HP it will turn faster lap times regardless of driver skill (except in the case of the Mustang GT/SVT lol).

:lol: :golfclap:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 11:48:44 AM
Raza can't accept this car.  It'd crush his pseudo automotive hipster persona.  He's too cool to deal with technology.  He's a disgruntled old man that wants computers eliminated from his vehicle...but only when it's convenient to him :lol:

I fully accept this car.  I just don't want it.   :huh:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on June 12, 2013, 09:09:32 PM
Just look at how fast that thing revs. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that beastly engine with a conventional manual.

When you take your foot off the pedal, it stops gaining revs so fast
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 11:52:17 AM
I fully accept this car.  I just don't want it.   :huh:

I share that feeling, It's an amazing car no doubt.

Soup DeVille

So can anybody make a reasonable argument for the engine still being behind the rear axle?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 13, 2013, 12:06:13 PM
So can anybody make a reasonable argument for the engine still being behind the rear axle?

It's shy  :huh:

FlatBlackCaddy

This motor + cayman + 6 speed manual, sounds like a blast.

SVT666

I'm with Raza.  I absolutely loved driving the GT-R, but I want a manual since it would never see a track under my ownership.

Rich

So if a manual transmission doesn't make the car more fun on a track, what does?  The steering?  braking?  Acceleration?  The same for nailing a good shift can be said for nailing a good apex.  For getting the braking zone just right.  For easing onto the gas just right.  What if one of those 3 were taken away by electronics?  When autonomous racing cars come out and humans are slower around the track, will everyone just jump ship and have computers drive their cars?

I say this as someone that sticks with paddle shifting in GT5, even though there's a gated shifter next to my steering wheel also.  Just food for thought.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 13, 2013, 12:39:34 PM
So if a manual transmission doesn't make the car more fun on a track, what does?  The steering?  braking?  Acceleration?  The same for nailing a good shift can be said for nailing a good apex.  For getting the braking zone just right.  For easing onto the gas just right.  What if one of those 3 were taken away by electronics?  When autonomous racing cars come out and humans are slower around the track, will everyone just jump ship and have computers drive their cars?

I say this as someone that sticks with paddle shifting in GT5, even though there's a gated shifter next to my steering wheel also.  Just food for thought.
If I was tracking my car on a regular basis, then I would be going purely for lap times.  Flappy paddles are still pretty fucking fun on a track, but (especially in a car as fast as the GT-R) I didn't even want to take my hands of the wheel.  On the street I don't give a shit which is faster, just which is more engaging.  Manual wins on the street for me.

Vinsanity

I would imagine that driving this car with a conventional manual would be like an NBA All-Star playing in Chuck Taylors.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 13, 2013, 12:04:45 PM
I share that feeling, It's an amazing car no doubt.

It is an amazing technical masterpiece, I agree. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 13, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

I'd equate this to track and field:

We can drive 400 m around a track faster in a car than we can run it, but that would completely change the sport.  Same with car racing.  Autonomous cars won't remove humans from racing.  It's no longer racing then.

Similarly, track athletes shouldn't be hampered by having to run barefoot.  Track cars shouldn't be hampered with traditional manuals.  I agree, hitting a perfect downshift is rewarding.  But in vehicles this fast, by having a traditional manual, you're degrading the rest of the experience.  Hitting that apex, brake point, feathering the throttle just right, etc, is all being limited by the fact the transmission can't keep up with the rest of the car.

In track and field, there's beauty and achievement in getting off the line with perfect form (arm movement, knees, everything).  Stick a barefoot guy out there without starting blocks, and it hampers everything else to the point that you don't see what the guy is really capable of.  Same story here.

I can't access YouTube right now, but someone link the autocar F12 review.  Watch that guy tackle those roads, and just try and imagine doing that with a 6-speed and clutch.  You wouldn't be able to.  You wouldn't even be able to come close to witnessing what that vehicle is capable of.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 13, 2013, 12:48:07 PM
I would imagine that driving this car with a conventional manual would be like an NBA All-Star playing in Chuck Taylors.

Or like driving a formula one car with the engine sticking out the back.

Oh, wait.

Look, I get the argument, flappy paddles are faster. So are mid engined cars, and this has been an acknowledged fact for decades. Yet still the 911 goes on, with its motorus operandus where it's gluteus maximus belongs, and were supposed to believe Porsche is doing this all just to make it faster?

MrH

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 13, 2013, 12:48:07 PM

Wow, I made almost the same analogy without even seeing your post.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CALL_911

I wish the GT3 had a manual option, seeing as if I owned one, it would probably never see a track. I'd get more enjoyment out of it on a day-to-day basis. That said, it isn't hard to see why it's PDK-only.

Realistically, in a car like this, lack of a manual option would not be a dealbreaker for me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 13, 2013, 12:53:05 PM
Or like driving a formula one car with the engine sticking out the back.

Oh, wait.

Look, I get the argument, flappy paddles are faster. So are mid engined cars, and this has been an acknowledged fact for decades. Yet still the 911 goes on, with its motorus operandus where it's gluteus maximus belongs, and were supposed to believe Porsche is doing this all just to make it faster?

There are pros and cons to rear engined vs mid engined.  To say one is definitively better is a stretch.  Especially when Porsche keeps kicking everyone's ass with a rear engined car.

There's definitely more performance with a DSG, more control.  Only downside is slightly more weight.  Just the fact you guys think having a manual transmission over a DSG is a make or break factor is crazy to me.  You still have direct control over what gear you're using.  I question whether some of you have driven a good DSG. 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 13, 2013, 12:58:20 PM
I wish the GT3 had a manual option, seeing as if I owned one, it would probably never see a track. I'd get more enjoyment out of it on a day-to-day basis. That said, it isn't hard to see why it's PDK-only.

Realistically, in a car like this, lack of a manual option would not be a dealbreaker for me.

If I owned a GT3, I'd take it to the track as often as I could. If I wanted a Porsche to not drive around a track, I'd get a Carrera S cabrio.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 01:00:37 PM
There are pros and cons to rear engined vs mid engined.  To say one is definitively better is a stretch.  Especially when Porsche keeps kicking everyone's ass with a rear engined car.

There's definitely more performance with a DSG, more control.  Only downside is slightly more weight.  Just the fact you guys think having a manual transmission over a DSG is a make or break factor is crazy to me.  You still have direct control over what gear you're using.  I question whether some of you have driven a good DSG. 

So how many race cars not based on 911s are rear engine then? Why?

The only reason the 911 Is is because of a historical accident; that its forbears were based upon a stripped down version of a nazi era commuter car.