991 GT3 first drive

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 12, 2013, 04:26:36 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

I would take that over any ferrari, audi, lambo, mc claren , bugatti, or any other exotic out there
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Lebowski

Char

I love this car so much - more than any other car that has existed (save other 911s and the F1)

I would kill you all just to have one. (Raza and Wimmer twice)
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

S204STi

I'm pretty sure Raza and his shovel have things handled.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on June 12, 2013, 07:57:44 PM
I love this car so much - more than any other car that has existed (save other 911s and the F1)

I would kill you all just to have one. (Raza and Wimmer twice)
You do realize its a Volkswagen rite

Im really not crazy about the transmission. Not gonna open up that can of worms but Raza's FOG theory was correct.

S204STi

Chris makes a good point about the lack of a manual gearbox.  Since this is sort of the stronghold of the driver's car, it's sad not to have the option at least.

Raza

Well, I'm sure they'll sell more now that it's automatic only. 

The GT3 has moved into that GT-R territory.  I understand it, I appreciate its technical mastery, but I just don't love it.  Too many buttons for a GT3. 

Inevitable, yes.  Regrettable?  Yes.  As long as old ones are still around when I have the money to buy an old one, it's fine. This is all feels too much like the Cayenne to me.   
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Just look at how fast that thing revs. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that beastly engine with a conventional manual.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

Yum. I would do terrible things for this car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on June 12, 2013, 09:09:32 PM
Just look at how fast that thing revs. I can't imagine trying to keep up with that beastly engine with a conventional manual.
Its doable w/a good manual

Lebowski

Meh, I'm over the lack of manual on this.  Get a Carrera S if its that important to you.

12,000 RPM

Why does the availability of different transmissions make sense on a Carrera but not the GT3

It should be the other way around.

No sense crying about it though. The markeths speaketh. Ke$ha wants a GT3

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 13, 2013, 06:47:18 AM
Why does the availability of different transmissions make sense on a Carrera but not the GT3

It is what it is, I agree.  As long as there are good mechanics out there, enthusiasts will find a way to keep their cars running.  Ke$ha can set the PDK to ghost ride mode and walk alongside it in her next music video for all I care.  I want a 911 SC. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 13, 2013, 06:47:18 AM

It's a significantly more focused car than the Carrera, so shouldn't be that surprising there are fewer choices. So no, the other way around would make no sense.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 12, 2013, 09:28:49 PM
Its doable w/a good manual

I disagree.

Maybe it's a stupid metric, but I've got a racing seat and 6-speed manual + clutch setup for Gran Turismo.  Anything pushing 350 or 400+ hp becomes almost unmanageable with a stick.  You're diving from apex to apex so quick, trying to focus on heel toeing and being in the right gear is near impossible. You've got 7 gears to choose from, each of which you're in for a matter of seconds at most before you upshift or downshifts.

It's like hurtling towards the sun, and seconds before your impending death, you have to tie your shoes before hitting the brakes.  It's nuts.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 07:38:46 AM
I disagree.

Maybe it's a stupid metric, but I've got a racing seat and 6-speed manual + clutch setup for Gran Turismo.  Anything pushing 350 or 400+ hp becomes almost unmanageable with a stick.  You're diving from apex to apex so quick, trying to focus on heel toeing and being in the right gear is near impossible. You've got 7 gears to choose from, each of which you're in for a matter of seconds at most before you upshift or downshifts.

It's like hurtling towards the sun, and seconds before your impending death, you have to tie your shoes before hitting the brakes.  It's nuts.

350 horsepower is unmanageable with a stick?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 08:06:56 AM
350 horsepower is unmanageable with a stick?

On a track, yes, it's very difficult to worry about braking points and hitting the right line.  Upsetting the balance of a car with a downshift becomes more critical as you get to higher and higher speeds.  I can mistime a heel toe downshift a little on my BRZ and be ok.  If you did that in a car like this during hard braking, you're off the track.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 08:09:22 AM

On a track, yes, it's very difficult to worry about braking points and hitting the right line.  Upsetting the balance of a car with a downshift becomes more critical as you get to higher and higher speeds.  I can mistime a heel toe downshift a little on my BRZ and be ok.  If you did that in a car like this during hard braking, you're off the track.

Oh, this illusion again? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 08:30:39 AM
It's an illusion now?

That the majority of exotic car owners regularly track their cars?  Yeah.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

GT3 owners?  Yeah, a ton of them do.

Even if you're not on a track.  When your limits get higher, hitting things right becomes more and more critical.  If you're not even remotely concerned with things like upsetting the balance, braking points, clipping apexes, you're not even in the same universe to touching this car's potential.  Why even bother getting this over a base Carrera then?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 08:34:43 AM
GT3 owners?  Yeah, a ton of them do.

Even if you're not on a track.  When your limits get higher, hitting things right becomes more and more critical.  If you're not even remotely concerned with things like upsetting the balance, braking points, clipping apexes, you're not even in the same universe to touching this car's potential.  Why even bother getting this over a base Carrera then?

The same reason why most people buy expensive or exotic cars.  It's more expensive.  It's jewelry you drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 08:09:22 AM

Not if you're a good driver. Technology should exist to supplement driving skills, not replace them. If you can't hit the right line at full tilt w/stick + clutch, drive slower, learn the car and build your skills + coordination until you can. Bypassing that learning process just seems like a huge cop out for people who claim to be good drivers and enthusiasts.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 08:45:47 AM
The same reason why most people buy expensive or exotic cars.  It's more expensive.  It's jewelry you drive. 

If this is just expensive jewelry, why do you care?

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 13, 2013, 08:49:43 AM
Not if you're a good driver. Technology should exist to supplement driving skills, not replace them. If you can't hit the right line at full tilt w/stick + clutch, drive slower, learn the car and build your skills + coordination until you can. Bypassing that learning process just seems like a huge cop out for people who claim to be good drivers and enthusiasts.

Serious LOL at how easy you think it is to drive one of these all out properly.

And yes, they replaced the driving skill in GT3 Cup cars too by having sequential manuals in them.  My mother could keep up with those guys now!

All I'm saying is, if your solution is to drive slower and learn until you can drive do all these things perfectly full out, no one would come close to touching the performance potential of these cars.  Might as well just get a base 911.

Why aren't you guys advocating bringing back manual choke operation?  Hand cranked engines?

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 07:38:46 AM
I disagree.

Racing games don't even give you an accurate sense of speed.

And if you're going to mis-time shifts, drive slower until you can nail those shifts every time. Saying "oh I can't manage it with a stick" is a cop out excuse. Seems like people just want the car to be easier to drive while they show off how fast they are, instead of improving their skills along with their speed.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  It's not a cop out.  It's "hey, let's focus at the difficult task at hand instead of fiddling with an antiquated process that can't even come close to keeping up with the rest of the car."

These cars are so extreme, trying to saddle the driver with extraneous steps seems kind of silly.  I think we're all in the mindset of comparing them to what we experience in our daily driving.  Yeah, I'll take my slow BRZ with a manual over a DSG anyday.  But in this machine?  It's like trying to blast to the moon in a rocket, but you've got to shovel coal into the furnace the entire time while piloting it.  Your answer is to slow down until you learn to shovel better.  Even when you're the best at it, you're still missing out and it's detracting from ability to use it best.

It's the same reason I don't want a manual choke on a Ferrari 458.  It's holding me back from the experiencing the ridiculousness of it.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 13, 2013, 08:58:03 AM
If this is just expensive jewelry, why do you care?

As I stated above, I don't care.

Quote from: Raza  on June 13, 2013, 07:07:41 AM
It is what it is, I agree.  As long as there are good mechanics out there, enthusiasts will find a way to keep their cars running.  Ke$ha can set the PDK to ghost ride mode and walk alongside it in her next music video for all I care.  I want a 911 SC. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i