What do you guys think about this...

Started by SJ_GTI, May 17, 2005, 02:09:05 PM

crv16

QuoteI'd try to do a private party sale at a price that made you happy.  It might take a while, but you'll get pretty severely hosed with a trade in.
I agree.  The only way to get out of a nearly new car without losing your shirt is to sell it yourself.  It's not hard to do, either, because the car (I assume) is still under factory warranty, so there is very little risk for a potential buyer.

You've already lost 20-30% of the purchase price in depreciation.  A dealer is going to pay you at least a couple grand less than what he will resell it for.

Set a price that splits the difference between dealer retail and trade in value, and it makes it good for you and the buyer.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

SJ_GTI

Which interior color combo do you think looks better?

Lemon yellow leather with burl walnut trim:

Dakota Terra leather with Aluminum trim:

?

BMWDave

QuoteWhich interior color combo do you think looks better?

?
dakota leather...by far! :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

?
I agree with Dave. The dakota leather rocks. The other day I was doing a build and price on the BMW site too (wishful thinking I guess), and my final choice was on the aluminum and dakota. To a degree I guess it also depends on what exterior color you want, though. What color are you thinking for the exterior?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

?
I agree with Dave. The dakota leather rocks. The other day I was doing a build and price on the BMW site too (wishful thinking I guess), and my final choice was on the aluminum and dakota. To a degree I guess it also depends on what exterior color you want, though. What color are you thinking for the exterior?
If I got the yellow I would only consider Jet Black (non metallic) or Sapphire Black (metallic). I'd prefer Jet Black but the problem is that it shows dirt alot easier.

For the terra I could either go black or monaco blue. I really like the new blue so that's what I would be most likely to go with.

mazda6er

?
If I got the yellow I would only consider Jet Black (non metallic) or Sapphire Black (metallic). I'd prefer Jet Black but the problem is that it shows dirt alot easier.

For the terra I could either go black or monaco blue. I really like the new blue so that's what I would be most likely to go with.
I think the Blue with the dakota is a great combo. You sound like you're pretty much decided on getting the Beamer, huh?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think the Blue with the dakota is a great combo. You sound like you're pretty much decided on getting the Beamer, huh?
Nah, I'm just bored at work.  :D  

Raza

QuoteI think the Blue with the dakota is a great combo. You sound like you're pretty much decided on getting the Beamer, huh?
Nah, I'm just bored at work.  :D
Nice.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Woot!

I stopped by the BMW dealer on the way home today to check it out up close in person (only got to see it from the outside before). I got an invitation to a 2 hour test drive at a local track next Friday.  :o

How cool is that? Can't wait until next week now.  :lol:

As for the interior of the car...it's a definite improvement over the previous generation. Is it better than Audi? Meh...its a close call. I like the BMW steering wheel, but I like the Audi gauge setup and center stack better. Quality/refinement seems about the same for both though. BMW has some nifty cup holder's now so I would give that to BMW, and the center armrest is much more ergonomic now. With my A4 I have to keep it pushed out of the way, but it felt like with the 325i it wouldn't be a problem because it sits further back and away from where my elbow would be. They didn't have any with the sport package, but the standard 3er seats didn't seem as comfortable as my A4 seats. I have adjustable lumbar with my A4 and none of these had that option so that could be the problem.

They only had 4 models, all with black leatherette interior (two 330i's and two 325i's). The good news is that I didn't realize it was leatherette until the salesmen told me. The bad news is I didn' get to see how the real leather is. I definitely want to check out the terra dakota and lemon yellow interiors up close and personal.

Last thing to note...I am surprised no one noticed this before but sitting all in a row I had to say the 3er has more of a resemblance from the front with the 6-series than the 5-series. The rear on the 3er looked great BTW, tail lights and all.

Anyway I would encourage you guys to check it out in person. Its a big improvement over the outgoing model IMHO.

Man I can't wait until next friday!

mazda6er

--Mark

BMWDave

QuoteWoot!

I stopped by the BMW dealer on the way home today to check it out up close in person (only got to see it from the outside before). I got an invitation to a 2 hour test drive at a local track next Friday.  :o

How cool is that? Can't wait until next week now.  :lol:

As for the interior of the car...it's a definite improvement over the previous generation. Is it better than Audi? Meh...its a close call. I like the BMW steering wheel, but I like the Audi gauge setup and center stack better. Quality/refinement seems about the same for both though. BMW has some nifty cup holder's now so I would give that to BMW, and the center armrest is much more ergonomic now. With my A4 I have to keep it pushed out of the way, but it felt like with the 325i it wouldn't be a problem because it sits further back and away from where my elbow would be. They didn't have any with the sport package, but the standard 3er seats didn't seem as comfortable as my A4 seats. I have adjustable lumbar with my A4 and none of these had that option so that could be the problem.

They only had 4 models, all with black leatherette interior (two 330i's and two 325i's). The good news is that I didn't realize it was leatherette until the salesmen told me. The bad news is I didn' get to see how the real leather is. I definitely want to check out the terra dakota and lemon yellow interiors up close and personal.

Last thing to note...I am surprised no one noticed this before but sitting all in a row I had to say the 3er has more of a resemblance from the front with the 6-series than the 5-series. The rear on the 3er looked great BTW, tail lights and all.

Anyway I would encourage you guys to check it out in person. Its a big improvement over the outgoing model IMHO.

Man I can't wait until next friday!
If thats what leatherette was, imagine what the real leather is like! :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Lebowski

Phuque!  I just went to the BMW website and started playing around.  I need a new 330i w/ 6M, Terra Leather, Nav system, and sport package like I need a third nut.  But I want one  :(  

850CSi

Why the hell is lemon not offered in the USA!!!???

Fire It Up

Umm...so what's he going for now?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuoteWhy the hell is lemon not offered in the USA!!!???
Because if I saw you in a yellow 3 series, I'd be forced to kill you and crush the car for humanity's sake.  Seriously, if your car doesn't cost over 125K, it should not be yellow.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Because if I saw you in a yellow 3 series, I'd be forced to kill you and crush the car for humanity's sake.  Seriously, if your car doesn't cost over 125K, it should not be yellow.
:rolleyes:

He may have been talking about the interior anyway.  

Raza

I jumped the gun.  So shoot me.  I still stand by my original observation.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

:noise of rifle being locked and loaded:

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

BMWDave

you mean a lemon interior or a lemon exterior?  There is a yellow offered on the M3.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

I meant the Lemon interior, which is actually just a two-tone like this:

Canada gets it, but we don't.

BMWDave

I meant the Lemon interior, which is actually just a two-tone like this:

Canada gets it, but we don't.
We have Dakota Leather here....theres really not much difference between that and the interior you have shown.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Doofus.

Raghavan

Quoteyou mean a lemon interior or a lemon exterior?  There is a yellow offered on the M3.
The color of the M3 in your sig looks sweet.

Raghavan

As for buying the car, you have a fucking new '05 A4. Car are always going to get better. Doesn't mean that you need to buy a new one everytime a new model comes out.

SJ_GTI

Well I just got back from the test drive. It was alot of fun. I got to drive pretty much every combination except for the SMG (which isn't being sold here yet, apparently it won't go on sale in Canada until this fall). Here are some thoughts...

Overall: Brilliant car. Its very difficult to find any flaws in the car, though I will nitpick some things on the individual models. Balance is superb, reactions to changing pavement conditions is best in class, acceleration is strong and smooth in both engines, and of course the 6-speed manual was just about perfect. Interior is great. I got to see the "lemon yellow" interior in person. Its a bad name because it doesn't even look yellow. Its basically what I would call a cream beige color. I think it would look great in just about any exterior color combination (except maybe red). I got to try active steering vs regular steering back to back several times, and all I can say is that the complaining about this system is silly. The first time I tried it I didn't even notice it. It wasn't until I got back into a regular 3er without active steering that I noticed I was turning the wheel more. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but if it came standard I wouldn't complain. Brakes on all models were stellar. Half the time in the "ABS" section I wouldn't even use ABS because the cars would stop so quickly without it.

325i with 6MT: This is the car I would get. The engine has ample torque all over the rev range, the clutch/shifter is just about perfect, and turning transitions are seamless (and trust me I got to put this car through its paces!).

325i with 6AT: Engine felt a little sluggish off the line in this configuration, but once you got the revs up the car would move admirably. Personally I was a little disappointed in the "steptronic" function. The E46 325i 5AT I tested felt more responsive to inputs. There was just too much delay on this car. I know they stopped using GM automatics this year, and personally I wonder if that was a good idea.

330i with 6MT: Obviously the "creme de la creme" in the bunch. Basically it does everything the 325i does, but with more power. I can't say the bigger tires made a difference in handling though (18's on the 330i, 17's on the 325i with sport packages). That being said I didn't notice the extra weight it carries vs the 325i either, so I don't think it will be an issue for prospective buyers. I am not a power junkie though, so I probably wouldn't spring for the extra 4-5k it costs over a 325i (when optioned similarly). If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket I can see the temptation though.

330i with 6AT: I guess its the extra torque, but basically the automatic worked a bit better here. Steptronic was still a little slow to react, but because of the torque spread it wasn't as urgent to downshift as often in this car. I am not a fan of automatics, but if you have to get an automatic this may be the case were its worth it to move from the 325i to the 330i.

Some notes: Sport package doesn't seem to make a startling difference for the hanlding. There is a little less body roll and the seats are a little more bolstered, but overall I wouldn't say its an absolutely necessity when buying this car. This is in comparison to when i bought my A4 where it made a huge difference. A4 without sport package is just too soft and rolly, with sport package its about where a non-sport 3-series is as far as handling.

So will I be spring for a new car this summer? Honestly, despite loving the new 3er...I can't really say I was convinced to trade in my A4. The 325i would be a better car, but after talking with the salesman I figure I would lose somewhere between 15-20k (CAD) by trading in. Even the salesman told me I would be dumb to trade my A4 at this point (he seems to be a bit of an Audi/VW fan oddly enough...he drives a GTI  :lol: ). He said if I really want a 325i I should try to sell my A4 privately. He's probably right, but its always more of a hassle trying to sell a car privately.  :angry:

Anyway I will keep thinking about it, but right now I am leaning toward keeping my A4 through another winter.

Anyway questions or comments are welcome.  :)

Raghavan

QuoteWell I just got back from the test drive. It was alot of fun. I got to drive pretty much every combination except for the SMG (which isn't being sold here yet, apparently it won't go on sale in Canada until this fall). Here are some thoughts...

Overall: Brilliant car. Its very difficult to find any flaws in the car, though I will nitpick some things on the individual models. Balance is superb, reactions to changing pavement conditions is best in class, acceleration is strong and smooth in both engines, and of course the 6-speed manual was just about perfect. Interior is great. I got to see the "lemon yellow" interior in person. Its a bad name because it doesn't even look yellow. Its basically what I would call a cream beige color. I think it would look great in just about any exterior color combination (except maybe red). I got to try active steering vs regular steering back to back several times, and all I can say is that the complaining about this system is silly. The first time I tried it I didn't even notice it. It wasn't until I got back into a regular 3er without active steering that I noticed I was turning the wheel more. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but if it came standard I wouldn't complain. Brakes on all models were stellar. Half the time in the "ABS" section I wouldn't even use ABS because the cars would stop so quickly without it.

325i with 6MT: This is the car I would get. The engine has ample torque all over the rev range, the clutch/shifter is just about perfect, and turning transitions are seamless (and trust me I got to put this car through its paces!).

325i with 6AT: Engine felt a little sluggish off the line in this configuration, but once you got the revs up the car would move admirably. Personally I was a little disappointed in the "steptronic" function. The E46 325i 5AT I tested felt more responsive to inputs. There was just too much delay on this car. I know they stopped using GM automatics this year, and personally I wonder if that was a good idea.

330i with 6MT: Obviously the "creme de la creme" in the bunch. Basically it does everything the 325i does, but with more power. I can't say the bigger tires made a difference in handling though (18's on the 330i, 17's on the 325i with sport packages). That being said I didn't notice the extra weight it carries vs the 325i either, so I don't think it will be an issue for prospective buyers. I am not a power junkie though, so I probably wouldn't spring for the extra 4-5k it costs over a 325i (when optioned similarly). If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket I can see the temptation though.

330i with 6AT: I guess its the extra torque, but basically the automatic worked a bit better here. Steptronic was still a little slow to react, but because of the torque spread it wasn't as urgent to downshift as often in this car. I am not a fan of automatics, but if you have to get an automatic this may be the case were its worth it to move from the 325i to the 330i.

Some notes: Sport package doesn't seem to make a startling difference for the hanlding. There is a little less body roll and the seats are a little more bolstered, but overall I wouldn't say its an absolutely necessity when buying this car. This is in comparison to when i bought my A4 where it made a huge difference. A4 without sport package is just too soft and rolly, with sport package its about where a non-sport 3-series is as far as handling.

So will I be spring for a new car this summer? Honestly, despite loving the new 3er...I can't really say I was convinced to trade in my A4. The 325i would be a better car, but after talking with the salesman I figure I would lose somewhere between 15-20k (CAD) by trading in. Even the salesman told me I would be dumb to trade my A4 at this point (he seems to be a bit of an Audi/VW fan oddly enough...he drives a GTI  :lol: ). He said if I really want a 325i I should try to sell my A4 privately. He's probably right, but its always more of a hassle trying to sell a car privately.  :angry:

Anyway I will keep thinking about it, but right now I am leaning toward keeping my A4 through another winter.

Anyway questions or comments are welcome.  :)
nice review, but i still don't think you need a new car. ^_^  

ifcar

QuoteWell I just got back from the test drive. It was alot of fun. I got to drive pretty much every combination except for the SMG (which isn't being sold here yet, apparently it won't go on sale in Canada until this fall). Here are some thoughts...

So will I be spring for a new car this summer? Honestly, despite loving the new 3er...I can't really say I was convinced to trade in my A4. The 325i would be a better car, but after talking with the salesman I figure I would lose somewhere between 15-20k (CAD) by trading in. Even the salesman told me I would be dumb to trade my A4 at this point (he seems to be a bit of an Audi/VW fan oddly enough...he drives a GTI  :lol: ). He said if I really want a 325i I should try to sell my A4 privately. He's probably right, but its always more of a hassle trying to sell a car privately.  :angry:

Anyway questions or comments are welcome.  :)
I entirely agree that you should hold onto the A4 longer, unless you really don't like it anymore. And that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteI entirely agree that you should hold onto the A4 longer, unless you really don't like it anymore. And that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.
You are right, I still like my A4. Its a fun car, and I still find myself taking the long way when i need to go places just so i can drive it longer.  :praise:

Last night I wanted to bring my A4 onto the track with the 3er's just to put them next to each other.  :D

It was nice getting to drive the piss out of the 325i as it gave me a great comparison that you just don't get with a normal test drive. Alot of the little subtleties get missed when you only have 5-10 minutes with a car. 2 hours with all the different options is alot better.  :praise:  

BMWDave

Quoteyou mean a lemon interior or a lemon exterior?  There is a yellow offered on the M3.
Thank you :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quoteyou mean a lemon interior or a lemon exterior?  There is a yellow offered on the M3.
Thank you :praise:
what's it called? lime green?